BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Spice Girls Singles Artwork Rank!, Winner and Runner-up revealed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Jan 28 2018, 11:03 PM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Thank you to the 15 members who submitted a rank! Let's find out what we think of their artwork...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #2

16th Step to Me (55 points)

Highest: 8th (letloverule)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (»ïïïïïïïïïïïïï., …ready for it, missing you and Theo)

Photographer: Francesca Sorrenti
Location of photo: Brighton, England
Date of photoshoot: August 1996

It seems not many of us are too keen on this one, given that only three out of 15 voters included it within their Top 10! It's very in your face (much like the Spice Girls themselves), with a swirly blue background & leopard print group name logo!

Step to Me (a left over track from the Spice album recording sessions) was released as a promotional single for their Pepsi sponsorship deal, in July 1997. You had to collect 20 ring pulls from the cans & then send them away in exchange for a CD. The format of the single was originally printed in an album size jewel case, but the demand was so high that it was soon reprinted in a card case.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 01:15 AM
Post #3

15th Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) (61 points)

Highest: 5th (missingyou)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Jay, vibe, LazySpice88, letloverule)

This is by far their most simplistic cover, and their only one not to feature the girls themselves (or depictions of them). The logo used is from their Spice era (first album), with the letters designed to look like pink jewels. However the font used for the "Girls" part of their name, and the title itself, are unique to this era. I don't think there's much else to say about this, it's very nondescript and I've always felt it looks like a promo CD. missingyou is a fan of it though, putting it within his Top 5 favourite covers! Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) was released in November 2007, in a CD single size jewel case.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 01:50 AM
Post #4

14th Let Love Lead The Way (69 points)

Highest: 4th (Eduardo)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Maz!, HarryEzra)

Photographer: Terry Richardson
Date of photoshoot: 19th July 2000

The picture used for this release is from the photo session for their third album, 'Forever'. I don't think many would have guessed that this photo is courtesy of Terry Richardson, because it's not typical of his style! "His signature style is very simple and almost jarring, often shot as high key with the model posed against a white wall, using a bare flash for harsh, direct lighting.". This is their only UK artwork to feature a photo of the girls taken outside of a studio, in the outdoors.

Although the cover art and the spine of this release only states "Spice Girls - Let Love Lead The Way", it is in actual fact a Double A Side release with Holler. It was released in October 2000, in a digipak format that contained 4 post cards (one of each girl).

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jan 29 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Jay wub.gif

I never understood the Let Love Lead The Way cover. It is such a bad picture, shit quality, almost blurry ah. Like, it seems like they were trying to do something different, but just came out bad... Holler is one of their best cover pictures though (and tbh should have been the album cover, not just the single!!)..

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Jan 29 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I have to agree about the Terry Richardson shoot.

I'm not a fan of Richardson's 'style' at all. It's lazy. It looks as though he doesn't understand the camera or lighting. And he doesn't seem to care about his models. The girls are all beautiful, but he made them look like crap.

I mean, who could take a bad picture of Victoria?

On the other hand, poor Francesca Sorrenti did a bang-up job. Shame the design has so much going on.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 29 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

No shocks so far !

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #8

13th Viva Forever [CD2] (74 points)

Highest: 5th (Maz!)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Mr.X)

Photographer: Dean Freeman
Location of photoshoot: Spiceworld Tour, 1998
Designed by: Joe@Virgin Art

Viva Forever was released two months after Geri's departure from the group. Despite this, images of Geri were still included on the single cover, seeing as it's a 5 piece recording. This version of the single includes two live tracks (Who Do You Think You Are & Say You'll Be There), which were recorded in Birmingham on 3rd May 1998, therefore pictures of the girls performing live were used for the front cover. A live album release had been planned, but the idea was scrapped after Geri left. Maybe this is what the album cover would have looked like? This single was released in a CD single size jewel case format, and included a foldout double-sided poster. The inlay of the sleeve shows a Union Jack flag with the words "Girl Power Live" running through the red cross - I wonder if this is what the live album would have been called? This is the final Spice Girls artwork to have Geri on the front cover. When she rejoined the group for their 2007 reunion, both the Greatest Hits and Headlines didn't include a picture of the group on their respective covers.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 10:35 PM
Post #9

12th 2 Become 1 [US Version] (78 points)

Highest: 7th (HarryEzra, …ready for it)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Spiceboy, Jade)

Photographer: Ray Burmiston
Date of photoshoot: 21st September 1996

The US release of 2 Become 1 came in the summer of 1997. Initially, 2-Track "mint" CDs & cassettes were released on 29th July 1997, while the Maxi "green" CD followed two weeks later. The US covers of Wannabe & Say You'll Be There recycled previously used photos, so 2 Become 1 marked the first (and only time) that the US received exclusive artwork. I have to say, I really like the picture of them! I assume the girls posing with candles was in direct reference to the opening lyric "candlelight and soul forever" (Edit: Although judging by the date of the photoshoot, maybe that's just a nice coincidence!). However, the artwork as a whole... I think Michael Andrew summed it up nicely in the rank thread: the background colours used are incongruous! Particularly the green cover. I feel like this somewhat spoils what could have been one of their best covers. The placement of their logo in the mint version is a little random too. Both of the CDs were released in album size jewel cases (in fact, all of their US singles were).

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 29 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #10
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah that cover was so off-putting due to the terrible use of colour! That green background does the photo no justice at all.

(enjoying this commentary so far!)

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #11

11th Goodbye [CD2] (93 points)

Highest: 2nd (LazySpice88)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Michael Andrew)

Drawn by: Siobhan Cassidy

The Spice Girls had their very own official magazine published throughout 1997 & 1998, and the 7th issue (which I assume was published in September 1998?) ran a competition for a fan to design artwork for their forthcoming single 'Goodbye' (closing date for entries: 9th October 1998). The winner was Siobhan Cassidy, a 15 year old fan from Croydon, England. As well as experiencing the honour of having her design printed on thousands of copies, she also got to visit the CD pressing plant and receive a copy of it signed by the Spice Girls. Her drawing of the girls is based on the Viva Forever video fairies. Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Siobhan said: "I got the idea by thinking about the girls waving goodbye in the back of the Spice bus. I added snowflakes to give it a Christmassy feel and the storks and the babies to represent Mel B's and Victoria's pregnancies. My friends are jealous but proud. I'm a massive Spice Girls fan.". It's a cute design overall, I can see why it won! I think I'd like it a bit more if the text wasn't slightly slanted. kink.gif The CD single size jewel case format includes 4 postcards (which don't easily fit inside the case, annoying x). A different competition winner was chosen for the Australian release.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 29 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 29 2018, 10:41 PM) *
Yeah that cover was so off-putting due to the terrible use of colour! That green background does the photo no justice at all.

(enjoying this commentary so far!)

Thanks Jade, and everyone who has replied so far! wub.gif I didn't realise my looning could extend to commentaries about their artwork, but here we are heehee.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 30 2018, 02:27 AM
Post #13

By the way, thanks goes to https://twitter.com/SpiceGirlsNet for information about photographers/dates of shoots! wub.gif I've updated the 2 Become 1 write up with new info.

He also shared this image with me; I think it looks nicer in blue!

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Jan 30 2018, 09:43 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

Having read the commentary on 'Goodbye' (CD2), I feel a little cruel for placing it last.

Sure, it doesn't have the 'designed' look I loved about the Spice Girls brand. But of course, young Siobhan did her best and is right to be proud.

Also, I'm just bitter because the magazine rarely turned up at my newsagent and I didn't get to enter the competition :-p

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Jan 30 2018, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 30 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #15
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 30 2018, 02:27 AM) *
By the way, thanks goes to https://twitter.com/SpiceGirlsNet for information about photographers/dates of shoots! wub.gif I've updated the 2 Become 1 write up with new info.

He also shared this image with me; I think it looks nicer in blue!

Wow, this makes a world of difference with a simple background change! So much nicer.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 30 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I agree nice photo

Horrid green background .

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 2 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #17

10th Holler (94 points)

Highest: 4th (Mr.X)
Lowest: 16th [Least Favourite] (Eduardo)

Photographer: Terry Richardson
Date of photoshoot: 19th July 2000

The picture that was chosen for the Holler artwork is also taken from their Forever album photoshoot. I think it was well chosen in relation to the title of 'Holler', with the girls looking like they could be hollering! I think it's one of the few pictures taken this album era that has an essence of their "spiciness" to it. I also like that the title is in very large font, very eye catching. Overall, it's a bold looking cover! This single was released in October 2000, in a CD single size jewel case.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Feb 2 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #18
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Oh I forgot to vote!

Woulda voted LLLTW and alternative Goodbye covers highly

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 2 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #19

9th Say You'll Be There (141 points)

Highest: 2nd (Maz!, HarryEzra)
Lowest: 12th (Jade, Mr.X)

Photographer: Kuniahro Takuma
Location of photoshoot: Tokyo, Japan
Date of photoshoot: May or June 1996

Spice Girls with a Sepia tone filter! I think I'd have preferred the picture if it was without this stylistic choice. This is taken from their 'Spice' album photoshoot, which took place during a promotional trip to Japan (the group launched in Japan in advance of other countries, even the UK!). This picture was used for the CD1, CD2 & cassette formats. CD1 was released in a CD single size jewel case, while CD2 was issued as a digipak including a large foldout poster. It was later used as the artwork for Wannabe's US release!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 2 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #20

A reminder of the artwork still to be revealed:

2 Become 1 (UK)
Goodbye (CD1)
Mama/Who Do You Think You Are
Spice Up Your Life
Stop
Too Much
Viva Forever (CD1)
Wannabe

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:25 PM