BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK EOY Box Office - 2023
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post 21st March 2024, 07:40 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

49. Asteroid City - £4,923,619 (estimated)

AN AMERICAN EMPIRICAL PICTURE FROM WES ANDERSON.

Set in a fictional American desert town circa 1955, the itinerary of a Junior Stargazer/Space Cadet convention (organized to bring together students and parents from across the country for fellowship and scholarly competition) is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.

Director: Wes Anderson
Cast: Jason Schwarzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks
Release Date: 23rd June 2023
Distributor: Universal
Certification: 12A
Genre: Comedy
Rotten Tomatoes: 75%
IMDb: 6.5

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-5-6-7-11-15 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,082,163 (#4)

Wes Anderson just won his Oscar for the short-film 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar', but his big theatrical release 'Asteroid City' proves that his original style is still essential viewing becoming a solid hit. Another incredible ensemble cast, the big new edition to this was seeing Tom Hanks try his hand at the talky, monotone style. I think this one might be my favourite of his that I've seen so far. Margot Robbie's scene is one of my favourite moments of last year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 21st March 2024, 08:01 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

48. The Boy And The Heron - £5,100,000 (estimated)

WHERE DEATH COMES TO AN END, LIFE FINDS A NEW BEGINNING.

While the Second World War rages, the teenage Mahito, haunted by his mother’s tragic death, is relocated from Tokyo to the serene rural home of his new stepmother Natsuko, a woman who bears a striking resemblance to the boy’s mother. As he tries to adjust, this strange new world grows even stranger following the appearance of a persistent gray heron, who perplexes and bedevils Mahito, dubbing him the “long-awaited one.”

Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Cast: Robert Pattinson, Florence Pugh, Christian Bale
Release Date: 26th December 2023
Distributor: Elysian
Genre: Anime
Rotten Tomatoes: 97%
IMDb: 7.6

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-6-7-10 (4 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,640,667 (#4)

Hayao Miyazaki came out of retirement to win the Oscar for 'best animated feature' and became Studio Ghibli biggest release in the UK, purely from it's opening weekend. I need to do a deep-dive of their films at some point. Who had the Studio Ghibli release grossing more than the DC Superhero film this year? EDIT: With some more films now dropping in below it, this has moved into the top half cheer.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 21st March 2024, 08:18 PM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

47. A Man Called Otto - £5,150,000 (estimated)

FALL IN LOVE WITH THE GRUMPIEST MAN IN THE WORLD.

The story of Otto Anderson, a grumpy widower who is very set in his ways. When a lively young family moves in next door, he meets his match in quick-witted and very pregnant Marisol, leading to an unlikely friendship that will turn his world upside-down.

Director: Marc Forster
Cast: Tom Hanks, Mariana Treviño, Rachel Keller
Release Date: 6th January 2023
Distributor: Sony
Certification: 15
Genre: Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 69%
IMDb: 7.5

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-6-6-11-13 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,088,410 (#4)

'A Man Called Otto' is an American remake of the 2015 Swedish drama 'A Man Called Ove' which itself was adapted from 2012 novel of the same name. Coming from Marc Foster who previously directed 'Monster's Ball', 'Finding Neverland', 'Quantum of Solace' and 'World War Z', this was a nice hit for Sony making $113 million worldwide on a $50 million budget proving that Tom Hanks remains one of the biggest stars on the planet.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 21st March 2024, 08:39 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

46. The Great Escaper - £5,318,899 (estimated)

INSPIRED BY A TRUE LOVE STORY.

In the summer of 2014, a World War II veteran sneaks out of his care home to attend the 70th anniversary commemoration of the D-Day landings in Normandy.

Director: Oliver Parker
Cast: Michael Caine, Glenda Jackson, John Standing
Release Date: 6th October 2023
Distributor: Warner Bros.
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-6-8-7-6-9 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £598,135 (#4)

Look at the opening weekend for this compared to everything around it and you can see just how much this connected with audiences to have a long run on the screens. The last film to appear that opened with a lower figure than this was at 'Tár' #70. There was a double-whammy of poignancy with this film as, not only did Michael Caine announce that it will be his final acting role, co-star 'Glenda Jackson' sadly passed away just before it's release, making it also the final film of her wonderful career. This sounds like one of those perfect-for-a-lazy-Sunday-afternoon type of British films, but the reviews say that this exceeds those expectations and created something special.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd March 2024, 01:48 PM
Post #65
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Evil Dead Rise is outstanding. Such a brilliantly crafted horror movie. I do seem to love these "stuck in an apartment complex" movies tbh. '[REC]' is one of my all time favourite horror movies too and I got big vibes from this of that.

---

I thought 'Babylon' was ok. It definitely could and should have been better though. Also, stupidly long for no real reason or purpose! However, the Margot acting scene was incredible! So tense!

Also... NO La La Land slander omg!!! But Damien hasn't really "missed" for me yet! I like all his movies somewhat!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 22nd March 2024, 02:42 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Evil Dead Rise is my fave horror film of last year I think!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 24th March 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

45. Evil Dead Rise - £5,405,332 (estimated)

MOMMY LOVES YOU TO DEATH.

Three siblings find an ancient vinyl that gives birth to bloodthirsty demons that run amok in a Los Angeles apartment building and thrusts them into a primal battle for survival as they face the most nightmarish version of family imaginable.

Director: Lee Cronin
Cast: Lily Sullivan, Alyssa Sutherland, Morgan Davies
Release Date: 21st April 2023
Certification: 18
Genre: Horror
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-2-3-5-7-11 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,477,840 (#2)

The latest attempt to revive Sam Raimi's career-making horror franchise, 'Evil Dead Rise' was originally slated to be a streaming release but was bumped up to cinemas after positive test screenings. I'm sure they are glad they made that decision as this became the biggest film ever in the franchise, grossing $147 million worldwide against a $20 million budget. EDIT: Moving this up a place will make the previous replies look out of place, sorry laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 24th March 2024, 01:35 PM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

44. Saltburn - £5,627,212 (estimated)

WE’RE ALL ABOUT TO LOSE OUR MINDS.

Struggling to find his place at Oxford University, student Oliver Quick finds himself drawn into the world of the charming and aristocratic Felix Catton, who invites him to Saltburn, his eccentric family’s sprawling estate, for a summer never to be forgotten.

Director: Emerald Fennell
Cast: Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike
Release Date: 17th November 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 71%
IMDb: 7.0

Top 15 Chart Run: 4-4-7-5-6-x-13 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £841,064 (#2)

A film that I imagine needs no introduction. This had an insane run for a film that was only had a limited 5-week run in cinemas before it was also available on Prime Video. It's a weird one to consider if they left a lot of money on the table by the streaming release or if it was that it was available to watch at home that fully propelled it into the forefront of popular culture. I wonder if this films defining legacy will be the chart resurgence of 'Murder on the Dancefloor' or Barry Keoghan in a bathtub. This is probably been the hardest film so far to decide on a genre for though laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 24th March 2024, 01:53 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

43. Cocaine Bear - £5,650,000 (estimated)

GET IN LINE.

An oddball group of cops, criminals, tourists and teens converge in a Georgia forest where a 500-pound black bear goes on a murderous rampage after unintentionally ingesting cocaine.

Director: Elizabeth Banks
Cast: Keri Russell, Aiden Ehrenreich, O'Shea Jackson Jr.
Release Date: 24th February 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 66%
IMDb: 5.9

Top 15 Chart Run: 3-4-6-10-13 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,581,128 (#3)

Taking the phrase 'inspired by true events' incredibly loosely, Elizabeth Banks' directing debut 'Cocaine Bear' sounded like the perfect B-Movie premise. However, this didn't end up hitting in the same it felt like it might before release. Some found the Pulp Fiction-esque B-Plots to distract from what should have been a fun Bear-rampage movie but I saw it on my Birthday weekend last year and had a blast. Even a group of irritating teenagers who did not shut up throughout the whole movie couldn't spoil it. This was the first posthumous release for legendary actor Ray Liotta and also features a scene-stealing supporting part from "Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale".

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 24th March 2024, 02:41 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

42. Magic Mike's Last Dance - £5,680,002 (estimated)

THE FINAL TEASE.

Mike Lane takes to the stage again after a lengthy hiatus, following a business deal that went bust, leaving him broke and taking bartender gigs in Florida. For what he hopes will be one last hurrah, Mike heads to London with a wealthy socialite who lures him with an offer he can’t refuse… and an agenda all her own. With everything on the line, once Mike discovers what she truly has in mind, will he—and the roster of hot new dancers he’ll have to whip into shape—be able to pull it off?

Director: Steven Soderbergh
Cast: Channing Tatum, Salma Hayek, Ayub Khan-Din
Release Date: 9th February 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 48%
IMDb: 5.2

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-3-5-7-12 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,529,155 (#2)

There seemed to be some pretty strong hype going into this one. The reputation of 'Magic Mike XXL' only seems to growing and growing with each passing year and I think everyone was very interested to see what made Channing Tatum want to strip off those pants one last time, original director 'Steven Soderbergh' to make a belated return and Salma Hayek want to join this trilogy closer 8 years after the previous film. This completely tanked in the US, but I don't think the UK numbers are actually that bad, it only opened about £100K less than 'XXL' and in a much weaker marketplace. It couldn't quite catch the £6.9 million total of that one though.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 24th March 2024, 02:56 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

41. Shazam! Fury Of The Gods - £6,000,000 (estimated)

OH. MY. GODS.

Billy Batson and his foster siblings, who transform into superheroes by saying “Shazam!”, are forced to get back into action and fight the Daughters of Atlas, who they must stop from using a weapon that could destroy the world.

Director: David F. Sandberg
Cast: Zachary Levi, Asher Angel, Rachel Zegler
Release Date: 17th March 2023
Genre: Superhero
Rotten Tomatoes: 49%
IMDb: 5.9

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-2-4-7-9 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £2,397,953 (#1)

We we're so close to having all of the #1 films of 2023 landing in the top 40 but the year's least popular chart-topper 'Shazam! Fury Of The Gods' just missed out. Although, with how inaccurate I'm finding Box Office Mojo's estimations, it has every chance of climbing in within a few posts. The 2nd DC film already to appear, it's starting to spare Marvel's blushes for 'The Marvels' that is still to come.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 27th March 2024, 07:41 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

40. Saw X - £6,050,000 (estimated)

WITNESS THE RETURN OF JIGSAW.

Between the events of ‘Saw’ and ‘Saw II’, a sick and desperate John Kramer travels to Mexico for a risky and experimental medical procedure in hopes of a miracle cure for his cancer, only to discover the entire operation is a scam to defraud the most vulnerable. Armed with a newfound purpose, the infamous serial killer returns to his work, turning the tables on the con artists in his signature visceral way through devious, deranged, and ingenious traps.

Director: Kevin Greutert
Cast: Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, Synnøve Macody Lund
Release Date: 29th September 2023
Distributor: Lionsgate
Rotten Tomatoes: 80%
IMDb: 6.6

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-3-7-10-10-14 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,925,011 (#2)

This and 'Shazam!' could easily be the other way around, the last confirmed totals for both I can find is that they've both 'passed £6 million'. I'm just going to stick with what Box Office Mojo says and keep this higher. After they tried to do something wildly different with Chris Rock's 2021 'Spiral: From The Book Of Saw', they came running back to Jigsaw himself, Tobin Bell, and decided to go back in time (the film is set between 'Saw' and 'Saw II') for the 10th entry and get the franchise star back. It worked in the sense that this recieved the best reviews of the franchise since the original and it grossed more in the opening weekend than the Covid-effected 'Spiral' but this still ended as just the 7th most successful Saw film in the UK.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

39. The Exorcist: Believer - £6,200,000 (estimated)

DO YOU BELIEVE?

When two girls disappear into the woods and return three days later with no memory of what happened to them, the father of one girl seeks out Chris MacNeil, who’s been forever altered by what happened to her daughter fifty years ago.

Director: David Gordon Green
Cast: Leslie Odom Jr., Lidya Jewett, Olivia O'Neill
Release Date: 6th October 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 22%
IMDb: 4.8

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-3-6-6-8-10 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,678,645 (#1)

After his 'Halloween' sequel trilogy that ignored all the previous sequels, David Gordon Green decide to try the exact same thing again with 'The Exorcist' franchise. The original 'Exorcist in 1973 is one of the biggest films to ever hit cinemas but there have been plenty of imitators in the year since (see 'The Pope's Exorcist') and it feels impossible for another exorcism film to hit in the same way. That's the way it proved with this having a pretty disappointing take, only just pipping ‘Saw X’ to avoid landing the lowest out of the big 2023 Halloween releases.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

38. The Nun II - £6,500,000 (estimated)

CONFESS YOUR SINS.

In 1956 France, a priest is violently murdered, and Sister Irene begins to investigate. She once again comes face-to-face with a powerful evil.

Director: Michael Chaves
Cast: Taissa Farminga, Jonas Bloquet, Storm Reid
Release Date: 8th September 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 52%
IMDb: 5.6

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-2-3-4-7 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,743,903 (#1)

Completing the hat-trick of consecutive Halloween Horrors, 'The Nun II' was the first out of the gate, opening in early September and it looked like the extra time in the screens is what boosted it above 'Saw X' and 'The Exorcist: Believer'. A lucrative spin-off of 'The Conjuring' franchise it may be, but this struggled to reach the highs of the 2018 original. That film totalled out at '£11.4 million', not too far away from being double 'II's take. These past few posts just shows that there is a base-level of horror fans that will go and see everything at Halloween. There's 2 more to come that broke-out a little bit more. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 27th March 2024, 07:42 PM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

37. The Creator - £7,084,748 (estimated)

THIS IS A FIGHT FOR OUR VERY EXISTENCE.

Amid a future war between the human race and the forces of artificial intelligence, a hardened ex-special forces agent grieving the disappearance of his wife, is recruited to hunt down and kill the Creator, the elusive architect of advanced AI who has developed a mysterious weapon with the power to end the war—and mankind itself.

Director: Gareth Edwards
Cast: John David Washington, Madeleine Yuna Voyles, Gemma Chan
Release Date: 28th September 2023
Distributor: Disney
Genre: Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 67%
IMDb: 6.8

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-2-5-9-9-9-14 (7 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £1,743,903 (#1)

Opening on the same weekend as 'Saw X', this original Sci-Fi from Gareth Edwards (his first film since 2016's 'Rogue One') just about topped the chart once previews were added in. This seemed to marmite, I've seem so many people call it one of their films of the year and so many others calling it tired and unoriginal. One thing that everyone seemed to agree on though was that the visuals were brilliant for a film with the comparatively low budget it had ($80 million). This is the only non-horror in this section of 5 to kick off the top 40.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 27th March 2024, 07:42 PM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

36. M3GAN - £7,200,000 (estimated)

FRIENDSHIP HAS EVOLVED.

A brilliant toy company roboticist uses artificial intelligence to develop M3GAN, a life-like doll programmed to emotionally bond with her newly orphaned niece. But when the doll’s programming works too well, she becomes overprotective of her new friend with terrifying results.

Director: Gerard Johnstone
Cast: Allison Williams, Violet McGraw, Ronny Chieng
Release Date: 13th January 2023
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDb: 6.4

Top 15 Chart Run: 2-2-5-9-13 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £2,356,357 (#2)

One of the breakout hits of 2023, 'M3GAN' was a huge success and had a sequel (to be released next year) greenlit on it's opening weekend. One of the films that shown the power that TikTok and Social Media can do for a films promotion, the scene of 'M3GAN' dancing was everywhere from when the trailer first dropped.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 28th March 2024, 01:45 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

The Nun II and The Exorcist: Believer doing so well at the box office is baffling to me

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 28th March 2024, 10:30 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(JackTheeStallion @ Mar 28 2024, 01:45 PM) *
The Nun II and The Exorcist: Believer doing so well at the box office is baffling to me

If it's any consolation, 'The Nun II' was one of the worst performing films in the Conjuring franchise and I think both studios would have been hoping for much more.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 28th March 2024, 10:31 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

35. The Marvels - £7,204,734 (estimated)

HIGHER. FURTHER. FASTER. TOGETHER.

Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. But unintended consequences see Carol shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with that of Jersey City super-fan Kamala Khan, aka Ms. Marvel, and Carol’s estranged niece, now S.A.B.E.R. astronaut Captain Monica Rambeau. Together, this unlikely trio must team up and learn to work in concert to save the universe.

Director: Nia DaCosta
Cast: Brie Larson, Iman Vellani, Teyonah Parris
Release Date: 10th November 2023
Distributor: Disney
Genre: Superhero
Rotten Tomatoes: 62%
IMDb: 5.6

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-2-5-9-12 (5 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £3,465,783 (#1)

The first true flop of the MCU, it even got beat by two of last year's DCEU movies ohmy.gif This was definitely the most over-hated film of the year with the most toxic online discussions. It probably is one of the weaker MCU films but it's a lot better than 'Quantumania' if we're only discussing last year's films and there's some great things in here. A lot of them revolve around Iman Vellani who is an absolute delight as 'Ms. Marvel' and I hope something comes from the final scene where she gets recruited Nick Fury-style by Haillee Steinfeld's Kate Bishop. The only postive spin I could say for this film is that Nia DaCosta broke her own record for the most successful film directed by a black female director.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 28th March 2024, 10:31 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

34. Scream VI - £7,700,000 (estimated)

NEW YORK. NEW RULES.

Four survivors of the Ghostface murders leave Woodsboro behind for a fresh start in New York City. However, they soon find themselves in a fight for their lives when a new killer embarks on a bloody rampage.

Director: Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett
Cast: Melissa Barrera, Jenna Ortega, Courteney Cox
Release Date: 10th March 2023
Distributor: Paramount
Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

Top 15 Chart Run: 1-3-4-6-8-15 (6 weeks)
Opening Weekend: £3,043,922 (#1)

This was the highest-grossing 18 certificate film in 2023 and was a real success for Paramount this time last year. The first film in the franchise that doesn't star the scream-queen herself, Neve Campbell (and David Arquette's Dewey RIP), it showed that there was life in the new blood with this managing to just about out-gross 2022's 'Scream'. But then Paramount seemed to be determined to ruin any hype the franchise had. A trilogy closer was announced to be directed by the modern-King of the satirical slasher film Christopher Landon ("Happy Death Day", "Freaky") and things were looking good. But then they sacked the new star, Melissa Barrera after her support for Palestine, Jenna Ortega announced she isn't returning either due to 'scheduling conflicts and to top it off Landon also left the project. However it's been announced that Neve Campbell will return instead and the writer of 1996's original Scream film, Kevin Williamson is going to direct.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

5 user(s) reading this thread
+ 5 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:38 AM