BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Russian Doll, Netflix | groundhog day
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Feb 9 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Russian Doll follows "a young woman named Nadia on her journey as the guest of honor at a seemingly inescapable party one night in New York City. She dies repeatedly while at this party and she is just trying to figure out what the hell is going on."

EPISODES: 8
GENRE: Comedy drama
NETWORK: Netflix
STARRING: Natasha Lyonne, Greta Lee, Yul Vazquez, Charlie Barnett and Elizabeth Ashley
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 9 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Really intrigued and excited by this! It has Amy Poehler as executive producer as well as Natasha Lyonne who also stars. Natasha is one of my faves from Orange is the New Black but I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

Always love an interesting concept too (even if it's been done before) but I've tried to avoid looking at anything beyond that!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 12 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I finished this last night. Having Natasha Lyonne again having a character with a name beginning with N didn't help with not seeing Nicky from OITNB, that's basically who she's playing, but that's no bad thing, she's one of the most talented actors from that show. Dascha Polanco's in it as a supporting character which makes one being reminded of OITNB even more likely.

But I always have a spot for groundhog day stories and this managed to pull a few things I didn't expect, even if in the end it's kind of unremarkable for one of those. It's a fun watch, but most of it comes from Natasha commanding the screen, she is excellent and I could watch her all day - less so the other main characters.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 16 2019, 08:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I'm enjoying this show, I like the quirky cast and concept, and it warms the cockles of my heart to see Elizabeth Ashley in it, almost unrecognisable from her younger days, even her voice is unrecognisable - back in the 70's (and 60's/80's/90s) she was in everything American shown on UK TV, TV movies, TV series guest spots, occasional films, always classy and good-looking, always strong characters. They have a nice tribute to her in her house (photos from her long career on a sideboard)

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post Feb 17 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
Absolutely loved this. It's clever, heartbreaking, poignant, but insanely funny. Even when nothing is actually happening, her face is so expressive. I loved the supporting cast too. Especially Greta Lee - she was hilarious.

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post Feb 17 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860
I LOVED this, Natasha Lyonne was incredible. Feel like it went a little off the deep end at the end, but it was SO much fun along the way

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Feb 17 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
This sounds really fun. I love Groundhog Day and Happy Death Day/2U so this concept seems interesting.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Mar 21 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
This was a fun watch! I've seen people see a lot of depths and hidden meanings to the show which seem cool to read about but, watching, most of them went over my head.

It really is Natasha Lyonne's show, she steals every scene, as in OITNB, and I love it. I'm glad though that they introduced the other guy at the time the whole repetitive day element started to sag - it really did boost it and certainly created a further interesting dynamic.

I did love the final episode in particular as we have the split scenes - it works so well.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jun 15 2019, 10:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Renewed for a second season!

Unless they've got a REALLY strong story, I'd rather it was some form of anthology? Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 15 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I'm not too sure about that unless it's in a different location with different characters etc. I liked this series a lot (and forgot to post about it in here lol), I mean it's never gonna be as good as Groundhog Day, but it had strong characters, good humour and an ending that felt fitting and wrapped up well. But the story was easily over for these two, any more adding to it would ruin it.

I mean unless they were to try different supernatural events not including trapped in a time loop for their sins, I'd be interested then.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:31 PM