BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> upstart crow, shakespeare..
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
bipolar angel
post May 17 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,494
new comedy monday nights on bbc 2 about william shakespeare and his attempts to make something of himself.

very funny first episode. the script ideas he got for his play really didn't help matters
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
richie
post May 17 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
That was actually the second episode last night - both have been very enjoyable, Ben Elton back to his best after a long, lean spell. Kieran Hodgson was excellent in the first episode and I enjoyed Tim Downie guest starring as Kit Marlowe last night.

The only thing I don't like is the actor who seems to be doing a weird Ricky Gervais impression. It doesn't work for me, it would have been like Blackadder having a satellite character who randomly sounded like Basil Fawlty.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-05-03/...t-ricky-gervais

This post has been edited by richie: May 17 2016, 12:01 PM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jul 23 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Really enjoyed this one, definitely the best sitcom Ben Elton's been involved with in about 20 years, the cast were all brilliant, the jokes were hilarious and at times it could be incredibly cutting (plus, the cameo in the 6th episode was a nice touch). Not perfect by any means - I don't understand the need for Harry Enfield's character, who adds absolutely nothing bar a bit of historical accuracy, and the aforementioned Gervais act-a-like seemed unnecessary (although as a drama graduate, the fact that he thought himself superior to the other actors because he was involved in Commedia dell'Arte was a nice touch), but a rather decent series regardless. It's been renewed for a 2nd season, which I'm in two minds about, as I feel that the subject felt like a one-series wonder, but I'm sure there's some material regarding Shakespeare that's still to be mined.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 23 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I enjoyed it, have a feeling its going to become a classic on repeat...

+Quote this post
richie
post Jul 25 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Had also heard people saying the Ricky Gervais character is a waste of Spencer Jones - and it is...but then, he's so bizarre on stage that it's maybe good that he gets reeled in a little.

Very pleased to hear that a second series is coming biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:30 PM