BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pokemon Sword & Shield, Generation 8 // Nintendo Switch
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Aaron.
post Oct 11 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #101
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
I agree. Alternative Forms and Mega Evolutions were such huge wins as fans, they really could have delivered both a lot better.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Defaze
post Oct 13 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #102
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 17,608
QUOTE(Liаm @ Oct 11 2019, 11:29 PM) *
It's such random Pokemon getting new forms, and not enough, it's just a random handful that's a waste of what could be potentially done with these new forms.

QUOTE(Aaron. @ Oct 12 2019, 12:21 AM) *
I agree. Alternative Forms and Mega Evolutions were such huge wins as fans, they really could have delivered both a lot better.

Yeah, 100%. Regional variants is such an inspired idea and a fantastic excuse to revamp some of the more outdated designs, but the execution has been absolutely horrendous. I'd consider maybe A-Ninetales, A-Sandslash and A-Marowak to be on par with the originals. Rattata and Meowth were solid too, but their evos destroyed any good will I had towards them. The rest vary from 'eh' (Raichu, Zigzagoon line) to legit some of the worst designs ever conceived (Persian, Dugtrio, Weezing). I'm not even massively keen on Ponyta; the overly-forced cute aesthetic with the chibi proportions and impossibly large eyes/ears is sorta nauseating. Give me regular Ponyta any day.

On another note, gameplay of the first town was released and it's actually... not horrible looking? Living for how British it looks.

https://vimeo.com/365892350

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Oct 14 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #103
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
I actually LOVE the new Weezing look lmao. But yeah Diglett/Dugtrio was so unnecessary lmao. I'd rate them something like:

Great: Muk, Marowak, Weezing
Good: Raichu, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Geodude, Grimer, Ponyta, Zigzagoon
Meh: Rattata, Meowth, Linoone
Bad: Raticate, Persian, Graveler, Golem
Awful: Diglett, Dugtrio, Exeggutor

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 14 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #104
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Alolan Nintales is by far the best because it's like a total opposite and reinvention with a great design, for that reason I also like Galar Weezing (although it's still half poison, the concept is opposite as it purifies the air). When I mentioned the fan games that have done similar ideas, Pokemon Insurgence stands out as it has some total opposites you'd just never think of that work really well like a Fire type Snorunt line and Psychic Torchic line with an Egyptian design. That's what these reinventions should be, not a bit of extra hair or colouring them black or making them tall with a bland typing. Linoone and Zizagoon plus the evoltuion are a much better design than the Raticate line but it's still the same idea, an early route normal type gaining the Dark type which arguably makes them worse, adding a weakness to Fairy and Bug plus making it 4x weak to fighting. It's just not an interesting enough typing for such an average Pokemon to make anyone really want to use it surely.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 16 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #105
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Today's trailer was just Gigantamax for the same old Kanto Pokemon getting a refresh

I mean there's Gigantamax Meowth which is literally just that long cat meme ffs

+Quote this post
Defaze
post Oct 16 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #106
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
These games...

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 16 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #107
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Gigantamax is just DeviantArt fan art come to life

+Quote this post
Defaze
post Oct 16 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #108
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Liаm @ Oct 14 2019, 01:32 PM) *
Alolan Nintales is by far the best because it's like a total opposite and reinvention with a great design, for that reason I also like Galar Weezing (although it's still half poison, the concept is opposite as it purifies the air). When I mentioned the fan games that have done similar ideas, Pokemon Insurgence stands out as it has some total opposites you'd just never think of that work really well like a Fire type Snorunt line and Psychic Torchic line with an Egyptian design. That's what these reinventions should be, not a bit of extra hair or colouring them black or making them tall with a bland typing. Linoone and Zizagoon plus the evoltuion are a much better design than the Raticate line but it's still the same idea, an early route normal type gaining the Dark type which arguably makes them worse, adding a weakness to Fairy and Bug plus making it 4x weak to fighting. It's just not an interesting enough typing for such an average Pokemon to make anyone really want to use it surely.

Ah, wholly agreed on Insurgence! I figured I was the only one dorky enough to play Pokemon fan games, but it's honestly embarrassing how much they upstage the official releases. Whew, the layers of innovation in some of the Delta redesigns. GameFreak could literally never.

+Quote this post
LouisL
post Oct 16 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #109
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 42,419
Ugh what a waste of a trailer. I just hate the constant obsession with Gen 1 Pokemon, no doubt they'll all be featured in this game with mainly gen 5-7 Pokemon being the ones removed.

Gen 5 has such a huge pokedex yet they never seem to get any sort of special feature apart from one Mega

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Oct 16 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #110
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Geez this is some crap right here. I just want Megas again tbh, every battle gimmick since that has been trash and entirely disappointing in comparison. They could've literally milked the fan service and just added more and more megas each generation and no one would even mind. Everyone still wants mega Lapras, Flygon, Luxray, Excadrill, Milotic, Butterfree, etc. Focusing every new Pokemon game around Pikachu and Charizard isn't making people happy its just irritating

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Oct 16 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #111
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
I like the way the games look and like some of the pokémon revealed so far. But I wish they didn't introduce Gigantamax forms. Between mega evolutions and regional forms, there are a large amount of pokémon that could benefit from those. Instead they shift a lot of focus to something that isn't needed. I'm sure the games will still be a lot of fun though.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Oct 16 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #112
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585
Tbh I just want to get to grips with the game and give it a whirl before I make judgement on how much I dislike this whole Gigantamaxing fodder laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 16 2019, 10:59 PM
Post #113
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Agreed about the Gen 1 fanwank being ridiculous laugh.gif We literally just had Let's Go so if anything I'd have taken most of Gen 1 of the Pokedex if anything but I guess it's a case of wanting Let's Go players to be able to carry forward their Pokemon from there. Gen 1 is kinda overrated for me so I'm probably biased but it's just always gen 1, gen 1 had so many megas, Alola forms were only gen 1 Pokemon and now a lot of Gigantamaxed Gen 1 Pokemon...

Like as much as people say Gen 5 or whatever was "running out of ideas", gen 1 had "fire pony" "fire dog" "electric dog" "water dog" "literally a Pokeball with eyes" yet it gets ALL the attention and love just because it came first.

QUOTE(Defaze @ Oct 16 2019, 02:43 PM) *
Ah, wholly agreed on Insurgence! I figured I was the only one dorky enough to play Pokemon fan games, but it's honestly embarrassing how much they upstage the official releases. Whew, the layers of innovation in some of the Delta redesigns. GameFreak could literally never.

Yes!!!

I get that sometimes they overhaul things a lot more than GameFreak would be willing to, but I think switching up Pokemon we know and love isn't a stretch at all! I mean if we have to have Pikachu, Meowth and Charizard yet again, why couldn't it be say a Water/Dragon Charizard that turns everything on its head? This Gigantamax shite just feels like Z-Moves and Mega Evolution mashed into one and I didn't care for either of those concepts. I would have thought it'd be a no-brainer to expand the concept of alternate forms like Insurgence did but alas.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Oct 17 2019, 02:10 AM
Post #114
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
Trash.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 17 2019, 09:56 AM
Post #115
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Did pokemon fire half their team and hire new people with only a baseline understanding of the property or something?

Maybe a bunch of people only still know gen 1 bc that's what you keep giving them...self fulfilling prophecy.

+Quote this post
Defaze
post Oct 17 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #116
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
The entire build-up to these games have honestly been a car crash. From the underwhelming graphics/animations from the get-go, to the horrific dyanmax gimmick, the Pokemon cuts, and now the obscene Kanto pandering. These games had to be pristine to justify the dex cut in my eyes, but literally nothing has served to drum up any semblance of hype. Even the new Pokemon (the few we've actually been exposed to) just feel like boring retreads.

That being said, I'm actually kind of living for the level of backlash these games have been receiving. I doubt it'll actually harm sales, but it's nice to see the fans finally taking a stand given how overdue the criticism is. The series has low-key been in the gutter since XY. Like, it's still incomprehensible to me how anyone could enjoy Sun and Moon. Genuinely the most tedious games I've ever played.

I can't get over it being a month from release, and that trailer was the best they could muster. The gen 1 lot are iconic to me: Pokemon Red was the first video game I ever played, and even I'm beyond pissed at the level of exposure the Kanto mons are receiving. The designs are largely trash, so the fact that they're put on some absurd pedastal when 90% of gen 3-7 mons are superior is an absolute mess. I can't even imagine how younger players that don't have any sentimental attachment towards them feel.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Oct 17 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #117
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
god the Obstagoon introduction was super promising and I’m also glad that Farfetch’d is getting somewhat of a buff but since then jt’s Kinda gone down the drain

I don’t blame Pokemon for redesigning Gen 1 stuff tho considering it’s the OG and how a lot of the fandom is a bunch of Gen 1 purists, be careful what you wish for I guess

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Oct 17 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #118
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
OMG! They released the starter final evos today!

Link to the reveal here!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 25 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #119
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
The Exp Share is always on like Let's Go drama.gif

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Oct 26 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #120
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
Ugh well I'm gonna buy it but the more I hear the worse it gets. I do like that they are revealing so little before the release of the games.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:01 AM