BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What makes a hit album?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Catherine91
post Jan 17 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
Pronouns: she/her
User: 22,774
We've had a couple of threads in recent months about what makes a 'hit single', and I was wondering what things make people consider an album to be a 'hit'.

Is 'silver' (60k) seen as a flop for albums that have been out for a while? I know album sales are low these days, but it does seem quite a low number to be considered worthy of a certification! 'Gold' (100k) doesn't seem like much of a 'hit' to me either.

I think peak chart position has more meaning for albums than for singles, but longevity like that of Adele and Ed Sheeran's albums is more important than peak position.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TomJ1991
post Jan 17 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,101
I think in this climate, 100,000 sales is pretty much a hit. But that number will differ person to person!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 17 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Yeah, I'd say these days that 100k+ is successful. Generally speaking, the most successful albums get about two weeks over 10k (yeah, seriously!) so to hit 100k is good going.

That said, when it comes to #1 albums nowadays, I'd just be glad if all of them managed to reach a Silver certification.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:02 AM