BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Debut Albums: Madonna vs. Kylie Survivor, Bit of fun AF integration (Round 1)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Debut Albums: Madonna vs. Kylie Survivor
Vote for your LEAST favourite
Lucky Star (Madonna) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Borderline (Madonna) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Burning Up (Madonna) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
I Know It (Madonna) [ 4 ] ** [17.39%]
Holiday (Madonna) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Think of Me (Madonna) [ 3 ] ** [13.04%]
Physical Attraction (Madonna) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Everybody (Madonna) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
I Should Be So Lucky (Kylie) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
The Loco-motion (Kylie) [ 2 ] ** [8.70%]
Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi (Kylie) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
It's No Secret (Kylie) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Got to Be Certain (Kylie) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Turn It Into Love (Kylie) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I Miss You (Kylie) [ 6 ] ** [26.09%]
I'll Still Be Loving You (Kylie) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Look My Way (Kylie) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Love at First Sight (Kylie) [ 2 ] ** [8.70%]
Total votes: 24

Liam.k.
post 9th February 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

As a way to bring the Madonna and Kylie AF communities together (and in turn boost activity to both AFs), myself and Regina have decided to try something a little different and present you a Madonna vs. Kylie survivor game. It's a little bit of fun which we hope will be popular (and decide who really is the leading lady of pop!!! biggrin.gif).

To test things, we've started with a battle of the debut album. Rules are simple: just vote for your least favourite song in each round - preferably voting on quality rather than trying to save your favourite act! Round 1 starts here however the next will be held in the Kylie (+ Dannii) AF and we'll keep alternating between the two (we'll post reminders each week about where the next round will start so there's no confusion). Deadline is Sunday 15th.

I've posted links to the Kylie tracks in case there's any Madonna fans who aren't familiar with them:

I Should Be So Lucky
The Loco-motion
Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
It's No Secret
Got to Be Certain
Turn It Into Love
I'll Still Be Loving You
Look My Way
Love at First Sight - Not the 2002 single!

There's no YouTube clip for 'I Miss You' but you can hear it on Grooveshark: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Kylie/378863
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th February 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007

Ahh this is a fab idea. I don't know any of the Kylie album tracks though :/ could be an excuse to make me listen to them though i suppose.

Looking at the 'Madonna' list and it's made me realise how little filler is actually on the debut! ohmy.gif my least favourite from the album is probably 'Physical Attraction' but i won't vote until i have heard the Kylie tracks too~

+Quote this post
vibe
post 9th February 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

The albums really don't compare at all!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 9th February 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

And don't forget to go visit my List of top 50 artists EVER in the personal charts bit. Kylie and Madge might appear smoke.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 9th February 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Feb 9 2015, 07:58 PM) *
Ahh this is a fab idea. I don't know any of the Kylie album tracks though :/ could be an excuse to make me listen to them though i suppose.

Looking at the 'Madonna' list and it's made me realise how little filler is actually on the debut! ohmy.gif my least favourite from the album is probably 'Physical Attraction' but i won't vote until i have heard the Kylie tracks too~

Glad you like it! Yeah, that's another reason for this - encouraging people to listen to other similar artists. Kylie's debut is quite typically 80s pop but I think it holds a lot of strong tracks.

Madonna's debut is quite a funny one for me. There's nothing life-changing or ground-breaking and there's no strong message or anything like that, but it's a well-rounded album that has many great, catchy melodies which makes it an incredibly enjoyable experience! I think I'd agree that 'Physical Attraction' was the weakest for me too.

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 9 2015, 08:11 PM) *
The albums really don't compare at all!

Perhaps so but I don't think there's any Madonna and Kylie albums that are directly comparable. I think these compare well in the sense that both acts are just starting out, the sounds are nothing particularly new yet they express both acts' potential and establish what each are about. If you, or anyone, has any suggestions of what albums could be combined in a survivor game if we choose to do it again, then please feel free!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th February 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
User: 13,007

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 9 2015, 08:48 PM) *
Glad you like it! Yeah, that's another reason for this - encouraging people to listen to other similar artists. Kylie's debut is quite typically 80s pop but I think it holds a lot of strong tracks.

Madonna's debut is quite a funny one for me. There's nothing life-changing or ground-breaking and there's no strong message or anything like that, but it's a well-rounded album that has many great, catchy melodies which makes it an incredibly enjoyable experience! I think I'd agree that 'Physical Attraction' was the weakest for me too.

'Borderline' is life-changing !! But yes, i fully get what you mean. It's a perfect little ditty pop album full of adorable tracks, but nothing quite reaches the dizzying heights that she is capable of. But also nothing really worth skipping either so a solid effort.

I will use this as an opportunity to educate myself on Kylie biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 9th February 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Feb 9 2015, 09:56 PM) *
I will use this as an opportunity to educate myself on Kylie biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how much you've heard of Kylie's music but her Impossible Princess album is one I think you may like! It's been compared to Ray of Light at least.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 10th February 2015, 12:51 PM
Post #8
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Both albums are fantastic but voted for Kylie's "I Miss You", which is definitely the weakest on her debut album, I'd probably go for Madonna's "I Know It" next if it's in the next round or maybe "Think Of Me"

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 10th February 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Both albums are good debut albums but I think Madonna's album has the edge.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th February 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Madonna DEFINITELY has the edge, indeed she has the edge in her first FOUR studio albums, it's only in the heady fight of Erotica V Kylie Minogue that things get interesting (Impossible Princess wipes the floor with Bedtime Stories) and then of course we have Ray of Light V Light Years which is also a BIG'UN.

But yeah, on topic, I'll be voting mostly Kylie for the first few rounds here, the weakest track on M is Physical Attraction and even it's a 7/10, whereas Kylie has 4/5 worse than that. I'll star off with I Miss You though.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th February 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Also, anyone voting I Know It IN THIS ROUND, I will be keeping a list and may accidentally DELETE YOU because that is just not on.

+Quote this post
MrIndependent
post 10th February 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,520

I voted for Think of Me and Love At First Sight. Madonna's album is better, and then from their first 'eras', if you like, Rhythm of Love is leaps and bounds ahead of True Blue; Like a Prayer is stronger than Let's Get to It even though both albums are solid and reprsented an adventurous shift in sound for both artists. That leaves the equally weak Enjoy Yourself and Like a Virgin, which are both artists' least appealing efforts with some great singles and a lot of filler album tracks.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th February 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Much as Kylie is my fave, 80s Madonna totally owns 80s Kylie hands down so I'll be nudging a few of hers out first before even thinking of getting on to M. 'I Miss You' to go first.

The suggestions that the epic 'Physical Attraction' is the weakest on the Madonna album hurt me. cry.gif Mind you, it's such a ridiculously strong album in its entirity.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th February 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Listening to both albums one after the other makes me realise how much more involved Madonna was with her debut than Kylie was. Not that that's necessarily always a disadvantage for Kylie as there's some great pop moments on her debut, although things do slip much more than Madonna's towards the end.

I've gone for 'Look My Way' - coincidentally, the intro sounds like it could be from the album Madonna.

Remember that Round 2 will be held in the Kylie AF on Monday 16th.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th February 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Thanks to the 24 people who voted - seems this has gone down well! Keep tuned to the Kylie AF for Round 2.

+Quote this post

This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:13 PM