BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd August 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #221
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/8/22/177682...-guardian-spice

Crunchyroll are going to start making their own content starting next year, starting with High Guardian Spice, which looks really charming from the promo pick. Like a mix between Western animation and anime.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th August 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #222
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
We're a fair bit into the new season now, so in addition to continuing to watch My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan & Steins;Gate 0, this is what I've been watching -

Cells At Work! - This is a quasi-educational anime set in an anthropomorphic version of the human body, where the cells are all represented as people carrying out work in the human body, eg the red blood cells are delivery personnel, the white blood cells are dagger-wielding men who destroy any germs or bacteria that make their way into the body (who are seen as 50s-esque horror monsters), the platelets are kindergarten children etc. It's a fun and educational show, and surprisingly graphically violent for a show that one imagines is largely aimed at a younger audience.

Chio's School Road - the show centres around one central gimmick - Chio is on her way to, or from, school, and gets involved in some bizarre situations whilst going in both directions, like free-running to get to school on time, accidentally causing a showdown with a biker gang, getting involved in obscure Japanese playground games etc. A lot of fun derives from Chio's internal monologue trying to comprehend what's going on, and rationalising her choices. There are some moments in the show that do make me uncomfortable - some of the more risqué humour crosses the line into more troubling territory (the manga writer of this formerly wrote a lot of hentai, and this is his first non-hentai project, but apparently old habits die hard), but on the whole it's quite a funny diversion nonetheless.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th August 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #223
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Aug 23 2018, 11:53 AM) *
https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/8/22/177682...-guardian-spice

Crunchyroll are going to start making their own content starting next year, starting with High Guardian Spice, which looks really charming from the promo pick. Like a mix between Western animation and anime.

Can't say I'm a fan of Crunchyroll making specifically non-anime with their subscribers money under the Crunchyroll banner - they have co-produced some series in the past, but they were still made by a Japanese production company with a largely Japanese staff, and this one seems to be almost fully American produced. It could be good, but I'm doubtful, and I'll reserve judgement until I see what comes out of it.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 26th August 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #224
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I just caught up with Food Wars and it's getting INTENSE

...and i couldn't wait any longer so I read the manga and IT WAS MORE INTENSE

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 30th August 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #225
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I have been watching Hinamatsuri lately, it's hilarious and heartwarming as you said Brett! Good stuff.

I watched the first episode of Cells At Work, I might continue with it but more to brush up on my anatomical knowledge in a fun environment than because it's standing out (that is, so far).

Otherwise, MHA, AOT, S;G 0 life. I'd like to pick up something more before the end of the season, maybe once I finish the last few episodes of Hina.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd September 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #226
Group icon
You have got to watch Dragon Pilot on Netflix, it is one of my favourite shows recently!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 28th September 2018, 04:02 PM
Post #227
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
The BBC has an article about Aggretsuko on its website today. Glad to see it getting more mainstream attention.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th October 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #228
Group icon
I really need to check that out, I'm not a huge fan of the art style though.

I've just started Lost Song on Netflix, really calming so far! But I think it gets more dramatic as it goes on.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd November 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #229
Group icon
Okay, Zombieland Saga is HILARIOUS!

Death metal, rap battles, threat of zombie outbreak, Glee club like deal to ‘save’ the local area, overseen by a deranged Hououin Kyouma-alike (and therefore alone giving us more Kyouma-esque shenanigans than the entirety of Steins;Gate 0) and that’s merely the first two episodes.

There’s even some other interesting things out this season, I’m interested in perhaps starting Rascal Doesn’t Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai too, bizarre title aside, what sounds like a Haruhi/Monogatari homage seems right up my street. Much better than summer, which the big names aside, didn’t really have anything to interest me.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 8th November 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #230
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Zombie Land Saga is worth it for the first minute of the first episode alone - if you're looking to make a series deconstructing the idol genre, THAT'S how you set out your stall. And Kotaro is definitely the driving force behind this - I love that so far the only rationale as to why he's resurrected girls from the dead to start an idol group, rather than just recruiting living girls like a normal person would, seems to be just because he can.

Also watching this season -

Ace Attorney Season 2 - Really only watching this because I loved the games, if you loved the games and want to see them animated it's the only real reason why you should watch it, otherwise you'd get too bogged down on why the court system doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Sword Art Online - Was actually surprised that there was a new season of the main saga after the recent spin-off. This one's due to run for a full year.

Double Decker!! - Doug & Kirill - this was promoted as a spin-off of one of my favourite anime series, Tiger & Bunny, although so far it doesn't seem to be set in the same universe (although there are a few references interspersed throughout). It's a sci-fi take on the buddy cop genre, with two mismatched cops come together to fight against a gang of drug dealers who push a drug that causes monstrous mutations in those who take it. It's very 4th wall breaking, and has a weird sense of humour, but so far nowhere near as good as Tiger and Bunny.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - Another in my favourite sub-genre of isekai where someone is reincarnated into another world as someone or something else. A 30-something man is fatally stabbed to death, and owing to his final dying thoughts, he finds himself awake in another world, taking the form as a lowly slime monster (which oddly enough, isn't the weirdest reincarnation in this genre - there's a manga which is almost certainly going to be made into an anime next where where the protagonist is reincarnated as a vending machine), and begins to scale the hierarchy in this world. If you like this genre already, you'll probably enjoy this one too.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 8th December 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #231
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Went to see the film version of My Hero Academia during the week, as it's been given a short cinematic run in the UK. It's very much a standard film adaptation of a shonen Japanese series which introduces new characters whilst not upending the continuity of the main series, but well worth going to see nonetheless.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 4th January 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #232
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
Have recently been catching up with a bunch of series/have watched a few news ones.

Attack on Titan season 3 part 1 - I really enjoyed the season as it fleshes out the characters more and there's a lot more story involved. It also started at where I had finished reading the manage a long while back. I'm really interested to watch the second part as I've heard nothing but good things about this arc of the manga.

My Hero Academia season 3 - I already knew most of what happened during the season as I had read the manga up to near the end of the season. But it was a while ago and was great to see it all animated. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more variety in the characters and their powers come the next season now that they have prepared ultimate moves.

Golbin Slayer - Not your typical adventure game type anime. It has some quite dark/blunt moments with quite graphic and sexual violence. I found it a bit disappointing - the story is weak and there's no real character development for numerous characters. I believe a second season is planned though, so I hope there's a bit more focus on story and the characters in the future.

Idolish7 - An anime about 7 boys trying to become idols as a group. It's not your typical idol anime and each character has their own struggles - a good amount of which are told during the season. I believe a second season is on its way, so I'm hoping that'll help fill in some gaps the first season left.

Banana Fish - One of my favourite animes of 2018. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It's a show about the unlikely friendship between a troubled 17 year old who is highly intelligent and involved in a New York gang and an innocent 19 year old Japanese photogapher. The show is a rollercoaster and the ending is very divisive amongst viewers - so be warned.

I've recently added a lot more series to my "to watch" list. I don't think I've ever going to have nothing on it. 2019 in general looks to be a really good year with so many anticipated anime series coming out. I'm really interested in "The Rising of the Shield Hero" for the current season. The first couple of episodes have already aired and it's getting really good feedback. Not to mention the trailer looks great.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th January 2019, 05:35 PM
Post #233
Group icon
Oh yes, straight after one of the best years in anime since I've been following it 2019 is already hitting it right out of the park. It's like they're actively trying to stop me getting bored of the medium and I really appreciate it biggrin.gif

First things first, the first thing you must do if you have not done so already is watch the first episode of The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland). No synopsis, no searching around for what it is, just do it. I just finished watching the first episode after purposefully remaining blind on it after the first thing I heard about it being much the same thing and it's... putting its best foot forward for an early Anime Of The Year contender.

Also Mob Psycho 100 - Season 2 is out and it, with more adventures with psychics and trippy artworks, is even better than season 1 after just a few episodes IMO. And I've also heard great things about Shield Hero and also something called Kaguya-sama and wanting to catch up with the slime thing from last season, this season, man. There's too much.

I just finished watching Rascal Doesn't Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai today also. Excellent series, the sort of thing that after Haruhi I was endlessly searching for more of in that quiet understated-but-still-supernatural show that uses personal magic happenings to grow its characters as they struggle through adolescence. Really relaxing and a quite excellent (and rare in anime) exploration of a healthy romantic relationship.

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jan 4 2019, 10:14 PM) *
Golbin Slayer - Not your typical adventure game type anime. It has some quite dark/blunt moments with quite graphic and sexual violence. I found it a bit disappointing - the story is weak and there's no real character development for numerous characters. I believe a second season is planned though, so I hope there's a bit more focus on story and the characters in the future.

Yeah that one was very popular but I had this feeling it would be a bit trash (and the controversy around a certain horrific scene confirmed that I wouldn't be watching it). It's OP though, Mili's 'Rightfully', is a bit of a banger.

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jan 4 2019, 10:14 PM) *
Banana Fish - One of my favourite animes of 2018. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It's a show about the unlikely friendship between a troubled 17 year old who is highly intelligent and involved in a New York gang and an innocent 19 year old Japanese photogapher. The show is a rollercoaster and the ending is very divise amongst viewers - so be warned.

This one is going straight in the pile along with things like Re:Creators and Made In Abyss that I missed during their airing seasons and will hopefully find some point to watch them in the future but I have no guarantees that I will get round to them. But it sounds like it's fairly interesting.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 29th January 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #234
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Most of the shows I'm watching at the moment are second seasons of shows that have just re-started (Mob Psycho 100), or shows that have entered the second part of the season after the Christmas break (...Reincarnated as a Slime, Ace Attorney, Sword Art Online). The only new show I'm watching is -

My Roommate Is A Cat - if ever there was an anime series made to indoctrinate Jade into the ways of the anime, this show would be it. The show is about a writer who has shunned people all his life, who adopts a stray cat as research for his next novel. The show has a very novel structure to it - the first half of the episode is told from Subaru's perspective, as he tries to understand the actions of his cat. The 2nd half is told from the cat (Haru's) perspective, as she explains the reasons for her odd behaviour in the episode, and tries to understand what Subaru is up to. It's really funny, and touching in parts, especially when you learn more about Subaru & Haru's troubled pasts.

And for absolute trashy anime, I've been watching Back Street Girls on Netflix very intermittently. The show's about 3 yakuza, who after crossing their boss, are forced to have sex-change surgery and become a female idol group. Your mileage may vary.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 17th February 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #235
Group icon
Finally got Netflix working on my TV, any good suggestions?

(already seen SAO and AOT on it) smile.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 17th February 2019, 09:07 PM
Post #236
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Feb 17 2019, 09:41 PM) *
Finally got Netflix working on my TV, any good suggestions?

(already seen SAO and AOT on it) smile.gif

I'd start with Little Witch Academia, which was my favourite anime series of 2017, which is just fantastic (note that there are also two short LWA films on Netflix as well, although these are outside the continuity of the main series, but are enjoyable as well). Also worth watching is "Aggretsuko", "One Punch Man" and "Steins;Gate", which I've just checked are all on Netflix.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th February 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #237
Group icon
Angel Beats and One Punch Man are both on Netflix at the moment and are very easy-to-watch, short and classically funny series. And the rest of what Brett recommends. Also Death Note as an obligatory reference.

And for something very similar to AOT/SAO, I'd perhaps recommend Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and/or Fate/Zero - the two best Fate anime. They're sequel and prequel respectively, one spoils some events in the other and Fate fans will argue for years about what to see first (some also suggesting the first Fate/Stay Night series which I think is also on Netflix but isn't as good and UBW makes it almost unnecessary) - summary, it doesn't really matter, whichever you choose you're getting a lot of cool fights and a battle royale and the other one will be there later.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 19th February 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #238
Group icon
Cheers! I've just started Steins;Gate and also The Seven Deadly Sins, enjoying both of them!

Are there any good anime currently airing you'd recommend? (like on Crunchyroll, etc)

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th February 2019, 10:52 PM
Post #239
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
There's quite a lot available on netflix surprisingly. Here's a bunch of others to watch:

Violet Evergarden - I loved that and the artwork is beautiful!

Castlevania is quite good too. There's two seasons with a third coming out in July this year.

Erased is available aswell and was one of my favourite series from 2016 - it's very good.

There are some good films too - Blame/A Silent Voice/The Garden of Words.

If you want a longer series - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is available.

Lastly, if you want something along the lines of senseless violence, there's Elfen Lied/Baki.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th February 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #240
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 29 2019, 05:35 PM) *
First things first, the first thing you must do if you have not done so already is watch the first episode of The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland). No synopsis, no searching around for what it is, just do it. I just finished watching the first episode after purposefully remaining blind on it after the first thing I heard about it being much the same thing and it's... putting its best foot forward for an early Anime Of The Year contender.

This is on my list to binge at the end of the season - although I'm tempted to just watch weekly. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm really looking forward to binge watching Dororo and Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari as well. The 2019 start looks to have been strong so far based on reviews/trailers etc. Usually there's only 1 or maybe 2 series that interest me at the start of the year. This year is going to be so good though with what's yet to come as well. I feel 2019 is going to be one of the strongest years for anime in recent years for me.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 03:03 PM