BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
51 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Top of the Pops on Thursdays, bbc 4., Now into 1979
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
blackcat
post 31st May 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 13,909

I don't know if anyone in the UK watches the top of the pops reruns from 1976 on BBC Four on Thursdays, but in between the naff records, there are some real crackers.

Check out Silver Star, by the Four Seasons on YOUTUBE - what a record! Brilliant!

(I can't print YOUTUBE links as yet, only just joined the forum).

Anybody else seen any other cracking records on that programme? Some great stuff on there, in between all the cheese!!!!

rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Thom Spirit Kay
post 31st May 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
eat hot chip, be homosexual
User: 6,946

The amazing S-S-S-Single Bed by Fox was on every other week seemingly:

On the whole it's been quite ropey though, I think epeople definitely have rose tinted glasses for that era of the show. They still played lots of non-hits back then, and repeated things ad nauseam.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 31st May 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I loved Silver Star at the time and it still sounds good today.

This was another of my favourites of the songs shown so far. TOTP showed an edited version but here it is in full

The late Charlie Gillett had a show on BBC Radio London at the time. He played some great music but he absolutely loathed this record.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 31st May 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

Silver Star had one of the most volatile chart runs of any record in the 1970s: 27-16-6-9-3-21-16-31-39. Its strange chart run is down to the fact that the then chart compilers, BMRB, made a temporary change to the chart sales week, from the usual Monday to Saturday to Saturday to Friday for a while in 1976. This was done because the chart compilers weren't receiving enough sales diaries on a Monday morning and were trying to avoid having to employ couriers to collect the diaries. Hence for a while the chart week changed in order to get more diaries to arrive on a Monday morning.

The seemingly unforeseen consequence of this was that the Top Of The Pops effect, which boosted Saturday sales of records appearing on the Pops two days earlier fell into the wrong chart week. Instead of boosting sales (and chart position) the following Tuesday when the new chart was unveiled this now happened one week later. Other songs were also affected by this - for example Shake It Down by Mud and Requiem by Slik - but none were quite as affected as Silver Star which managed to drop down the chart (one week by 18 places!) in most weeks after they appeared on the show. They then reclimbed due to the delayed TOTP effect and promptly dropped the following week.

After a while, and after complaints from record labels, BMRB eventually did begin to employ the services of couriers and the chart sales week changed back to the more traditional Monday to Saturday from later in 1976. However BMRB twice more changed back to Saturday to Friday, for a while in early 1977 and again in 1982. Once again the TOTP effect meant that some records began to experience strange chart runs in these periods and once again the complaints from record labels meant that the chart compilers had to change the sales week back to normal. It has even been suggested that this phenomenon in part prevented Golden Brown from reaching the top in February 1982 but I've come to believe that this is just another urban myth...

+Quote this post
Gezza
post 1st June 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sì, è preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341

That would account for "The Model" by Kraftwerk's bizarre blip just before making No 1 then- 10-2-3-1, always wondered that- thanks Robbie

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 1st June 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(gezza76 @ Jun 1 2011, 12:43 PM) *
That would account for "The Model" by Kraftwerk's bizarre blip just before making No 1 then- 10-2-3-1, always wondered that- thanks Robbie
Yup, that was another record that was affected by the temporary change in the chart sales week / TOTP effect in early 1982 with the record dropping one place the week after appearing on TOTP before the belated TOTP effect kicked in a week later to take it to number one.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post 2nd June 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Thanks for your posts so far, people, I just think that Silver Star is a fantastic record. Due for a cover version by a modern act, I think!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd June 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Gary Holton (RIP) from the original series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet on tonight sad.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 2nd June 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,410

QUOTE(blackcat @ Jun 2 2011, 08:34 PM) *
Thanks for your posts so far, people, I just think that Silver Star is a fantastic record. Due for a cover version by a modern act, I think!

Totally. But I think a cover of S-S-S-Single Bed would do better. Thats the best song I've seen on the TOTP repeats so far, followed by Silver Star, Love Hangover & Requiem in my opinion

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd June 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(AH Gold @ Jun 2 2011, 09:57 PM) *
Totally. But I think a cover of S-S-S-Single Bed would do better. Thats the best song I've seen on the TOTP repeats so far, followed by Silver Star, Love Hangover & Requiem in my opinion

Fox had a couple good hits before S-s-s-s-ingle bed as well. Noosha Fox then had a solo hit with Georgina Bailey which had nothing to do with Andrew Sachs's grand-daughter who spells her name differently.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post 3rd June 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

I reckon Bowie's TVC15 was the pick of last night's show, the song that is, not too sure about the staged dancing to it by "Ruby Flipper", or whatever they are called!!!!! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 3rd June 2011, 01:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 2 2011, 10:02 PM) *
Fox had a couple good hits before S-s-s-s-ingle bed as well. Noosha Fox then had a solo hit with Georgina Bailey which had nothing to do with Andrew Sachs's grand-daughter who spells her name differently.

I've only heard Single Bed so far, I'll check out the others on youtube later. It's such a good song and hasn't dated as terribly as most singles from '76 have. Speaking of which, is it wrong that I don't mind Mud's attempt at disco with Shake It Down?

As for last night's show, there weren't many gems amongst all the dross i.e J.J Barrie - No Charge (how the hell did that get to No.1?????????) and the Wurzels. The Bowie track was probably the best of the lot, besides Fernando.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post 3rd June 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Fernando is a great song, but they cut it short! Was it standard practise in those days to only play half the number 1 song?

They played the whole of the Wurzels, of course. Must not cut that one short, of course. Heaven forbid.

This post has been edited by blackcat: 3rd June 2011, 05:26 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd June 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(blackcat @ Jun 3 2011, 06:25 PM) *
Fernando is a great song, but they cut it short! Was it standard practise in those days to only play half the number 1 song?

They played the whole of the Wurzels, of course. Must not cut that one short, of course. Heaven forbid.

They often cut the song short if it was a video rather than a live (mimed) performance. Particularly annoying when they cut a song as good as Fernando and play the Wurzels in their horrific entirety.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post 4th June 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Will be keeping an eye on top of the pops '76 throughout the year. In theory, the music should get better and better as 1976 gets older and 1977 then takes its place, as punk and new wave music then came into their own.

Not too sure how much totps reflected those changes, though.................

+Quote this post
Thom Spirit Kay
post 4th June 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #16
Group icon
eat hot chip, be homosexual
User: 6,946

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 3 2011, 07:42 PM) *
They often cut the song short if it was a video rather than a live (mimed) performance. Particularly annoying when they cut a song as good as Fernando and play the Wurzels in their horrific entirety.

What's weird is they had a live performance of Fernando that I had never seen before a few weeks ago (and I am a HUGE ABBA fan) but every week since they've played the video...

+Quote this post
blackcat
post 14th June 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

It was on Monday this week, boy, cheesy or what! Again, you can see why punk came along looking at some of the records on last night's show.

2 highlights, though - Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town came through like a breath of fresh air in between all the dross, and the Rolling Stones Fool To Cry - one of their slower ones - oused class, as you would expect from the renowned sixties veterans.

So why am I watching it? Because of the occasional sparkling gems intweeen the dross, like Thin Lizzy and the Stones.

And it is proof positive that dross can float to the top. I mean, JJ Barrie at number one, and the Wurzels at number two.............who could ask for more?!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post 14th June 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(blackcat @ Jun 14 2011, 12:42 PM) *
It was on Monday this week, boy, cheesy or what! Again, you can see why punk came along looking at some of the records on last night's show.

2 highlights, though - Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town came through like a breath of fresh air in between all the dross, and the Rolling Stones Fool To Cry - one of their slower ones - oused class, as you would expect from the renowned sixties veterans.

So why am I watching it? Because of the occasional sparkling gems intweeen the dross, like Thin Lizzy and the Stones.

And it is proof positive that dross can float to the top. I mean, JJ Barrie at number one, and the Wurzels at number two.............who could ask for more?!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Yep, it was pretty poor on the whole. Even though they're terrible, you can understand why records like Combine Harvester, Birdie Song, Adagoo etc did well due to the annoying novelty factor, but I can't understand how No Charge got to No.1! It's not even so bad it's good!

I've just discovered a track in that chart I'm Your Puppet by James & Bobby Purify (don't think it's been played on the TOTP repeats) which is great. Maybe it got edited out before BBC4 started showing the uncut repeats?

Also, the chart claims Tina Charles was at 28, yet the Guiness/Virgin books claim it only reached 31 and that the Bay City Rollers should have been 28 instead (yep, I'm a geek). So, who's wrong?

This post has been edited by AH Gold: 14th June 2011, 06:27 PM

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 14th June 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

QUOTE(AH Gold @ Jun 14 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Also, the chart claims Tina Charles was at 28, yet the Guiness/Virgin books claim it only reached 31 and that the Bay City Rollers should have been 28 instead (yep, I'm a geek). So, who's wrong?

Polyhex has the chart run as:
48-31-31-{28}-31-28-42

My (old) copy of Guinness has its highest position as #31 so who knows!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 14th June 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I wonder if any of the members of Our Kid were watching. If so, they must have cringed with embarrassment - particularly if any of them were watching with their children laugh.gif

+Quote this post

51 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:41 AM