BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KYLIE SINGLES RATE ● RESULTS
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 14 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Thank you to all members who posted rates! Results have been counted and shall start soon. Hopes and predictions are welcome and I hope everyone enjoys the countdown!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 14 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Looking forward to this *.* I think I'll predict a 'Love At First Sight' win as it seems like the kind of song that has a lot of love and doesn't attract many haters.

I am here for my 11 or any of the songs I gave a 10 to ('Can't Get You Out Of My Head', 'Love At First Sight', 'Red Blooded Woman', 'All The Lovers' and 'I Believe In You') to win!

+Quote Post
Theonix
post May 14 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #3
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,661

Excited for this! Hopefully a 00s or 10s song wins and the bottom half of the results are mainly 80s and 90s songs.

I predict "Especially for You" to finish last. I'm not so sure on the winner but "Love at First Sight" would be excellent as it received my 11!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 14 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

Her PWL singles are a little dated but the joy and carefree nature of a lot of them are timeless!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 15 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

Everything is clearer than a mirror is to woman
Just the same as a dog is to man

71. Lhuna (with Coldplay) // 3.07 (0: Red Blooded Man // 7: Regina)
70. I Was Gonna Cancel // 3.93 (-1: Qween // 7: gooddelta, Josh!, Nick Jonas, Tawdry Hepburn)
69. All I See // 4.48 (0: Qween // 9: Liam)
68. Keep On Pumpin' It (with Visionmasters & Tony King) // 4.75 (0: Red Blooded Man // 8: Feel the Fever, pippa, Hide&Seek)
67. Celebration // 4.76 (0: Tawdry Hepburn // 8: Nick Jonas)
66. GBI (German Bold Italic) (with Towa Tei) // 4.76 (0: liamk97 // 8.5: Regina)

First out is Kylie and Coldplay's 2008 duet 'Lhuna'. This slightly left-field, baroque pop song was released as a standalone charity single to promote World AIDS Day on 1st December. Whilst the song evoked memories of her 1995 Nick Cave duet, it appears 'Lhuna' just isn't held in the same regard. Legend goes that David Bowie was approached to join the track too, but Bowie responded with a simple "not one of your best". Ouch.

The first 'Kylie' song to drop out, 'I Was Gonna Cancel' was the result of a overwhelming day at the studio. Written and produced by Pharrell Williams, he took on board Kylie's thoughts and feelings and turned them into something positive and uplifting, supported by a disco-inspired production. Sometimes spontaneous writing decisions can turn out to be the best, but I think people's problem with the song lies with how robotic it feels and with Kylie's cold delivery - certainly not helped by the twice as robotic and cold music video!

'All I See' was a big attempt to break Kylie into the North American mainstream where it was pushed as the lead single from X. With its sultry R&B melody and Janet-ite breathy vocals, it's easy to see why the record company thought it would suit American tastes, but the song doesn't make a firm enough of an impression and seems largely 'un-Kylie'. Even solid promotion and the rent-a-rapper-remix with Mims couldn't get 'All I See' to hit the big time.

Kylie's first single to be credited as a feature, 'Keep On Pumpin' It' is Visionmasters and Tony King's mashup of Freestyle Orchestra's 'Keep On Pumping It Up' and Kylie's 'I Guess I Like It Like That' from 1991's Let's Get To It. A piano rave house tune, it was released by PWL following the realisation Kylie was becoming increasingly trendy in clubs. For fans of this sort of music, I'm sure it's one that's viewed favourably but, for Kylie fans, it's probably too removed from what we want from her music.

The last single Kylie released with PWL was a cover Kool & the Gang's 80s classic 'Celebration'. It mostly follows the same composition as the original, just with a 90s makeover. Whilst Kylie seems to be a fan, I find her version loses the coolness of the original and doesn't have half the fun factor.

Another Kylie feature, 'GBI (German Bold Italic)' was the lead single to Towa Tei's second album (Tei being more well-known for his involvement in the band Deee-Lite and their hit 'Groove is in the Heart). A freakish slice of house-techno, Kylie is portrayed as a typeface called 'German Bold Italic'. Like the Visionmasters track, it's probably too outlandish to do well here.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #6
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think 'I Was Gonna Cancel' is actually a decent song as an album track (the Moto Blanco remix totally bangs!), but it's just... not a single.

Let's not get started on that video either.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 15 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

There is something annoyingly catchy about 'I Was Gonna Cancel' despite the notably bad aspects like the choice lyrics and Kylie's vocal. I'm guessing it's down to Pharrell's production as I found his work on Madonna's Hard Candy was enough to distract from some bad lyrics that are on there.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 15 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #8
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I didn't know that a Coldplay and Kylie duet existed prior to this rate! Coldplay are one of my favourite bands but sadly I wasn't overly impressed by the team-up. 'Keep On Pumpin' It' was a pretty banging discovery though and 'GBI' was an... interesting one laugh.gif but endearing at the same time.

Glad to see 'Celebration' this low as that was a pretty awful remake! and 'I Was Gonna Cancel' deserves that placing for the video alone tbh kink.gif (but seriously, the song is nothing to write home about really, I only really care for 'Into The Blue' from that era)

Surprised that the Corden and Keith Washington duets aren't out yet.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 15 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #9
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

No shocks here, 'All I See' was a huge mistake and should not have been included on X in the first place, sticks out like a sore thumb, I think if 'Speakerphone' was released instead then that would have made more of an impression - maybe who knows.

Actually liked 'I Was Gonna Cancel' at the time on the 'KMO' album, but again didn't work at all as a single and using Pharrell's name did absolutely nothing in it's favour, and if that wasn't bad enough then that awful music video, killed all momentum for the era. I mean seriously what's up with that video, looks like she's directing traffic. In all fairness I'd doubt anything on that album would have worked single wise, especially that awful duet she did with Enrique Igelesias which thankfully got it's single release scrapped, and don't get me started on that awful 'Sexercise' release.

+Quote Post
Qween
post May 15 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #10
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I Was Gonna Cancel coming ALMOST DEAD LAST is so heartwarming. our dear Kylie Ann is no stranger to truly abysmal tunes but there is just something so EGREGIOUS about that one that it bagged my hotly contested -1. It somehow manages to be boring AND hideous all at once.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #11
Break the tension

QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 15 2018, 09:54 PM) *
In all fairness I'd doubt anything on that album would have worked single wise, especially that awful duet she did with Enrique Igelesias which thankfully got it's single release scrapped, and don't get me started on that awful 'Sexercise' release.

'Sexy Love' would have, but of course nothing would have been a hit anyway.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post May 15 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #12
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Not too fussed to see any of those out already (I've not actually heard Lhuna)

My favourite there is probably GBI laugh.gif Such an odd/unique moment in her back catalogue.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post May 16 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 15 2018, 09:54 PM) *
In all fairness I'd doubt anything on that album would have worked single wise, especially that awful duet she did with Enrique Igelesias which thankfully got it's single release scrapped, and don't get me started on that awful 'Sexercise' release.

Totally agreed on 'Beautiful'. I can't bear that vocal production. The live version, on the KMO live album, is much nicer. I wish there was a un-synthesized studio version.

On the other hand, 'Million Miles' is still on my running playlist today. I might've preferred that as the second single.

+Quote Post
HerbieHollywood
post May 16 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 12,436
   No Gallery Pics

No argument with all these placings.

I agree Sexy Love was the best single choice from KMO.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 16 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #15
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

I think 'Sexy Love' was in the running as the 3rd single from 'KMO', but obviously coz of the major flopping success of 'IWGC', everything was scrapped. Now I do really like 'SL' it's a definite highlight on an otherwise bland album and would have been interesting to see a music video for it.

Anyway I always thought that 'Les Sex' was the best track on the album and can't believe it wasn't even considered for a potential release, and this would have been a better choice than 'IWGC'.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 16 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol

Sexy Love could have worked but it's one of the key examples of the Kylie-by-numbers moments on the album for me. I also feel like that sort of pop was on its way out of the mainstream at this point anf would have been more suited to 2012.

I think If Only could have been a decent choice, possibly.

+Quote Post
pippa
post May 16 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Keep On Pumpin' It, is one i like that would rank much higher than it has on the list but from seeing some of the scores i knew it would flop here.

The absolutely dreadful IWGC was rightly selected as the first full Kylie single to leave the countdown.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 17 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol

Letting go, free my instincts
From the darkness I will re-emerge

65. Limpido (with Laura Pausini) // 5.26 (3: Feel the Fever, Monzo, pippa, Michael Andrew // 10: Regina)
64. Only You (feat. James Corden) // 5.4 (1: Jade // 9: Stuart25, Nick Jonas)
63. If You Were With Me Now (with Keith Washington) // 5.79 (-1: Theo // 10: Hide&Seek)
62. Where is the Feeling? // 5.92 (1: Hide&Seek // 10: Monzo, Michael Andrew)
61. Higher (with Taio Cruz) // 6.02 (-1: RedBloodedMan // 10: Nick Jonas)

Some 10 pointers leaving already... the lowest song to receive a 10 being 'Limpido'. This was the lead single to the greatest hits collection of Italian singer Laura Pausini - little known in the UK, perhaps, but a big star in her home country, various other European countries and Latin America. Translating to English as "clear", 'Limpido' is a punchy, empowering song about evolving and setting oneself free. A #1 in Italy and two World Music Awards noms to its name, I feel like this would be more appreciated if it wasn't so unknown here.

Kylie's cover of the Yazoo's 80s hit 'Only You' was released as the lead single to her Christmas album - the song made more synonymous with Christmas by The Flying Pickets whose acapella version made Christmas #1 in 1983. Kylie's interpretation is a softer, piano-based tune with the unusual choice of James Corden as guest vocalist. His contribution surprisingly works, or at least was much more inoffensive that anticipated, and the song as a whole is a sweet, lullaby-esque rendition, if a little plain.

Another collaboration, 'If You Were With Me Now' saw Kylie team up with US R&B singer Keith Washington. It was released as the second single from Let's Get to It, presumably seen as a safer option following the commercial disappointment of 'Word is Out'. This slushy ballad feels reminiscent of something by Whitney Houston or Boyz II Men whose soulful R&B sounds were popular at the time and it appeared to work for Kylie too, returning her to the Top 5 in the UK.

As an album track, 'Where is the Feeling?' is an upbeat, sort of jazz house style track that reminds me of moments on Madonna's Erotica album; as a single, the song is drastically remixed and transforms into a spoken, trip-hop inspired love affair. Kylie oozes sensuality as she purrs and moans and whispers of her devotion to her lover. It's likely a key song in encouraging Kylie to experiment further with her next album Impossible Princess (much like what 'Bedtime Stories' is to Ray of Light for Madonna). I can see this one crawling up my affections if I listened more.

'Higher' completes this collaboration-centric round of songs. Originally proposed for Kylie's Aphrodite album, Taio Cruz kept the song for his album after plans fell through, although Kylie finally featured on the track for its European release as a single (American markets were given Travie McCoy instead...). It's a delicious slice of throwaway pop music, probably sounding very dated now but I love me a bit of nostalgia; this is often played on nights out in my town and always goes OFF! 'Higher' marks the last time Kylie made the UK Top 10.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 17 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #19
Break the tension

Nothing big lost there.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 17 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #20
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

Aw I really like Limpido, and All I See! Didn't expect either to be much higher than this though so it's not too bad.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:13 AM