BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
48 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Two
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post May 7 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Time to start a new thread as the old one is past 50 pages.

I won't be seeing the programme tomorrow (not at 7.30 anyway) so perhaps somebody else can post a summary.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post May 8 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,629
   No Gallery Pics

Not as good as Suedy, but here goes, the first Time for me.

DONNA SUMMER – Hot Stuff . First we had the tune that always reminds you of The Full Monty Film.
THE TUBES – Prime Time . Vaguely heard of this song, stalling at 34.
EARTH, WIND & FIRE with THE EMOTIONS – Boogie Wonderland . The classic from EW&F & TE, a video outing for this.
BLONDIE – Sunday Girl . Another classic, this time Legs and co provide the entertainment, Debbie Harry & Co were elsewhere.
THE POLICE – Roxanne . A classic from the boys in blue as they were in the middle of a hugely successful Chart career, a song about Prostitution
PEACHES & HERB – Reunited . A Classic song again, always sums up the period well, the video this time, love this song.
THE UNDERTONES – Jimmy Jimmy . Off to Northern Ireland, Fergal Sharkey & Co at their best.
ABBA – Does Your Mother Know . The Swedish wonders with footage from Snowtime Special : Abba In Switzerland 16th April 1979 doing yet another memorable track.
LINDA CLIFFORD – Bridge Over Troubled Water . The Video of Linda covering a classic #1 from the early 70's, in a disco style.
MAX WEBSTER – Paradise Skies . Have never heard of this act, Loving the Pink Trousers on the lead singer (Not!)
ART GARFUNKEL – Bright Eyes . The video again for another week from the film, the BBC are paying out well at the mo.
ROXY MUSIC – Dance Away . Good song to finish off played again for the second week in a row.

Edited out of the full version of the programme.

XTC – Life Begins At The Hop . The debut track from this act, stalling at #54, more success was had a few months later with a Top 20 smash.
M – Pop Muzik . A pop classic that has been re issued since.
JUDAS PRIEST – Evening Star . Good heavy metal band, with a stall at #53 with this track

This post has been edited by smiffj: May 8 2014, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 8 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

thanks to smiffj, I'll add my twopennorth cool.gif

Pretend I’m Suedehead2 and this is a slightly different take on TOTP...I get the feeling tracks have been edited for broadcast...

Donna Summer plays in, Hot Stuff, guitars go disco, huge hit.

A great episode tonight, headed by The fabulous Tubes, not so much White Punks On Dope as having a kitsch MOR duet laugh, and what a fabulous tune and record it is, and this performance has always stuck in mind. I have the white vinyl single version, picture cover.

Next up Earth, Wind & Fire with protogees The Emotions, they of the Primal Scream sample (Loaded). Some call it disco, I call it polished funk, with a real boogie wonder track, catchy and a great sparkly live performance video.

One of Blondie’s best is Sunday Girl, all French-pop delight. Sadly it’s Legs and Co not the video. Hey ho. By this time it was becoming plain the music scene was so alive, and videos so easily available that the girls services were a tad superfluous.

Roxanne: The Police: Sting all blonde and moody and appealing. A song a bout hookers in innovative rock-reggae-new-wave stylee. Fresh! The Police were the most popular new band at College among students. I had the posters to prove it.

Reunited, Peaches & Herb back again, a pleasant soul ballad, never was on the list of top records of the year, but nothing bad about either, it still sounds sweet.

Jimmy Jimmy, The Undertones finally get that follow-up hit, a bit more fun than Teenage Kicks, a bit less classic, but always good.

Abba, my fave band of the time, and their least good single, albeit jolly enough. Just let the girls do the singing lads! B Side Kisses Of Fire was better.

And then it’s all downhill from here. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Linda Clifford disco cover of a classic. An example of how not to cover an emotional classic, that would be a solo epic vocal by Art Garfunkel swapped for a bland disco-by-numbers karaoke effort.

Max Webster Band, neither hard nor heavy, as Peter Powell claims. Forgettable and dull, and why on earth are they on when it wasn’t on the radio at the time, or a hit. Pluggers pulling the wool I suspect...

The usual clip of Bright Eyes. Should’ve just played Bridge Over Troubled Water if they can’t be bothered to pay for the clip, I say!

Roxy to fade, oddly not sounding very much like dancing away the heartache, more like wallowing in it.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 9 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Thoughts on the full-length version.

Not a great start with Donna Summer over the chart.

The Tubes with a pretty dismal effort. Don’t Touch Me There was brilliant. This isn’t.

Earth Wind & Fire and The Emotions. The advantage of watching on catch-up is that I can skip this.

Blondie - some quality at last from Ms Harry & co. Shame about the 80s twerking.

The Police - I was never a fan but this is the second best song on the show so far. Doesn’t Gordon look young?

Peaches & Herb - more use for the fast forward button. Dreadful soporific rubbish.

XTC - who would have thought that they would go on to make such gems as Making Plans For Nigel after this rather poor start? Actually this instrumental bit is quite good but the vocal parts aren’t great.

M again. Don’t hate it as much as I did at the time but it’s still irritating.

The Undertones - unfashionable maybe but I think this is almost as good as Teenage Kicks.

Abba modelling some more of their tax-dodging outfits.

In another “only on TOTP” moment we go from Abba to Judas Priest.

Linda Clifford - I had managed to forget the existence of this brutal murder of Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Max Webster Band occupying this week’s “Don’t remember this at all” slot. Somebody call the fashion Police please.

Art Garfunkel still at number one so it’s another brief rabbit clip. Happy Birthday to Watership Down author Richard Adams who is 94 today.

And Roxy Music to close.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 9 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Oh, and thanks to smiffj and Popchartfreak for your contributions.

No show next week as it's Sky At Night time.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post May 10 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Just to note that the unedited 40 minute version is now on the I-Player. Used to just be the 30 minute edition.

Max Webster was awful, the song, the singing, the clothes, and Powell said they were on tour. Must be a support act cos who would pay to see that? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 10 2014, 04:02 PM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 22 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

OK, here we go and it’s McFadden and Whitehead over the chart. Let’s hope this is the low point.

It’s improving already with The Skids. Not great but better than McFadden & Whitehead.

On to Roxy Music yet again. They are becoming the 1979 equivalent of Nigel Farage.

And we move on to the first appearance of Tubeway Army. How weird did we think this was at the time? Still sounds good. Apparently Gary Numan is 13 days older than Gary Oldman.

Donna Summer next. Not one of her best and Legs & Co as naff as ever.

This week’s totally forgotten number is by an outfit called Liner. They sank without trace.

Ah, this is better. Not vintage ELO but a vast improvement on that Liner rubbish.

Time for David Bowie - or several Bowies. This is turning into a very decent episode. Apart from Liner of course.

Wow, Elvis Costello as well. We really are being spoiled this week. Doesn’t bode well for next week. Terrible suit by the way.

And the excellence continues with Blondie at number one. They don’t come much better than this. I’m forgetting Liner ever existed. Just like I have for the last 35 years.

Cheap Trick over the credits. Some weeks that would have been the best song.

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post May 22 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 12,629
   No Gallery Pics

Three missed out on this edited version.

(20) THE DAMNED – Love Song
(33) DOLLAR – Who Were You With In The Moonlight
(21) THE SHADOWS – Theme From ‘The Deer Hunter’ (Cavatina)

Thanks to Popscene for the above.

This post has been edited by smiffj: May 22 2014, 07:08 PM

+Quote Post
fiesta
post May 23 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

pop quiz question time biggrin.gif

Which band quoted a lyric from Blondie's Sunday Girl, for the title of one of their hits?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 23 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(fiesta @ May 23 2014, 12:47 PM) *
pop quiz question time biggrin.gif
Which band quoted a lyric from Blondie's Sunday Girl, for the title of one of their hits?

Foreigner had a hit with Cold As Ice although it was the year before Sunday Girl.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 23 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

no idea. Dry Your Eyes?

+Quote Post
fiesta
post May 23 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

nope - clue a a Welsh band formed in the 90's

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 23 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Well, if Foreigner don't count then I'll have to go for Hurry Up And Wait by The Stereophonics based on your clue.

+Quote Post
fiesta
post May 23 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 23 2014, 01:32 PM) *
Well, if Foreigner don't count then I'll have to go for Hurry Up And Wait by The Stereophonics based on your clue.

Correct

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 29 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

After a very good programme last week this week can surely only be a bit of a let down but here goes. A thoroughly dreadful start with Anita Ward. It’s hard to find words to describe how much I hated this record at the time. My loathing of it was almost irrational. It is shite though.

Quantum Jump with possibly the longest word in a hit song. Good old Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Oh dear, Peaches & Herb with their dreadful slush. Not looking too good so far.

It’s not getting any better. Chas and Dave next.

And still it gets worse as McFadden & Whitehead inflict their rubbish on the poor, unsuspecting audience with added Legs & Co. Couldn’t they have shown last week’s again instead. Apart from Liner of course.

Some quality at last with Sparks.

It couldn’t last of course as Voyager (who?) are on next. Don’t remember this at all and I hope I will have forgotten it again soon as it is pretty poor. The singer seems a bit like Alan Price but without the talent. Liner last week, Voyager this week. What transport related band do we get next week?

Ooh, Fischer-Z. I’d forgotten they appeared on TOTP. A bit silly but one of tonight’s better offerings.

Hot Chocolate with one of their lesser hits.

Squeeze are among the acts cut from the full-length programme. Why?

Blondie still at number one so at least we finish on a high note.

A high note that is apart from the dross over the closing titles as we get the assassination of Bridge Over Troubled Water again.

We skip a week next week so some of this rubbish could well be back.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 29 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I didnt initially dislike Ring My Bell, but with the passage of time it does have the gift of annoying even over the nostalgia.

Chas and Dave - Gertcha, now THATS a record I grew to loathe after hearing it a few times. Still do.

Hot Chocolate making a social point (Mindless Boogie in the middle of disco frenzy) perhaps explains the low sales, though dance music always booms during bad times as people dance to forget. My theory, the bigger the bad times the bigger the boom. Discuss (2000 words)....

+Quote Post
house.martin
post May 30 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 68
   No Gallery Pics

For some reason, I thought the wonderful Quantum Jump song was banned by the BBC, like Relax was a few years later.

+Quote Post
fiesta
post May 30 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Apart from Blondie, McFadden & Whitehead were the highlight for me.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 5 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

We’re off again with Sister Sledge over the chart. A pretty bad start then. And to make it worse Mike Read is standing in for Nigel Farage.

Now I’m waiting for Twitter to tell me who this lot are but everyone else seems to be as lost as I am. Apparently they were called Match but they didn’t exactly set the charts on fire. That drivel got to number 48.

McFadden & Whitehead next. This is turning into another endurance test.

Lene Lovich reminding us that Lucky Number was not her only hit. It was her best hit though. And a double dose of Legs & Co. Good grief.

More dross next with Edwin Starr.

Some quality at last with Tubeway Army. BTW, Earth Wind & Fire, Gerry Rafferty and Quantum Jump have been cut.

Janet Kay follows with one of the highest notes in pop history. I wonder if it is still within my hearing range 35 years later. Yes it is.

Just as a side note - someone on Twitter has reminded us that this programme is now as old as D-Day was when it was first broadcast.

Anyway, on to Chas and Dave’s pub rock.

Shifting to a different part of London we get on of Squeeze’s finest songs. Jools Holland’s hair dye bill was a lot lower in those days.

And it’s the worst number one of the year from Anita Ward. Ah, I’ve just checked. It’s the worst of the year so far. Worse was to come in October.

John Williams plays us out.

It’s Sky At Night next week so no programme.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 5 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

much much worse was due in october.....!

Cutting Gerry Rafferty is unforgivable, given that Gertcha was annoying us only a week ago or so. It was barely worth seeing again once.

+Quote Post

48 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:56 PM