BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Erotica' • album discussion, 5th album | 1992
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Jun 3 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 5th studio album 'Erotica'. Released in 1992.

1. Erotica
2. Fever
3. Bye Bye Baby
4. Deeper and Deeper
5. Where Life Begins
6. Bad Girl
7. Waiting
8. Thief of Hearts
9. Words
10. Rain
11. Why's it so Hard
12. In This Life
13. Did You Do It?
14. Secret Garden

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 3 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 11 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
I think I've only heard 'Erotica', 'Fever' & 'Rain' from this album (unless I can't remember the other 2 singles but will recognise as I make my way through). Just based on 'Erotica', this album feels like it's her 'In The Zone' moment (sorry to bring the Britney comparison again - but their careers are quite similar in terms of growth as an artist etc..) and by that I mean she stripped away the more pop image, for something a bit more sensual, "sexy" and a bit more daring in terms of artistry and content (if only Britney's team were as daring as Madonna's team with the singles choices at the time and released 'Breathe On Me' and 'Touch Of My Hand' as the 4th and 5th singles drama.gif) but although not a favourite, I really like 'Erotica'. 'Fever' is a good cover version and I like how different it is.

Just from the first 3 tracks alone, this is SO different to her previous 4 albums. She really wanted to strip that bubblegum pop, girl next door image, didn't she? I love the risk (I suspect it was an even bigger risk for it's time too). This might be one of those albums where I prefer it as an actual album to her others, but it lacks the highs of the other albums (similarly to how I feel about 'Joanne' from Gaga - obvz the content is v different lmao) so incredibly cohesive! I feel like it's "of it's time" but in the best way possible. It doesn't feel like it's aged but it doesn't feel like it'd be "fresh" now, if that makes sense. 'Rain' is lovely! A forgotten gem in her catalogue.

I found out 'Justify My Love' wasn't on this album but was on Immaculate Collection just before it... definitely the inspiration for this more sensual route then I guess! ohmy.gif (What a song that is *.*)

01. Erotica
02. Rain
03. Deeper and Deeper
04. Thief of Hearts
05. Fever
06. Bye Bye Baby
07. Waiting
08. Why's it so Hard
09. Secret Garden
10. Words
11. Bad Girl
12. In This Life
13. Where Life Begins
14. Did You Do It?*

I found it hard to actually rank the album coz it flowed nicely and on one listen of albums like that, it's always a bit stressful laugh.gif 'Secret Garden' is a nice way to end this album, imo. It's probably not one I'd go to out of choice, but I'll appreciate it when I listen to the album again. I'm a bit disappointed by 'Bad Girl' though, ngl. I dunno what I expected, but it wasn't as interesting as the albums theme would suggest it would be and I can do without the forgettable 'Where Life Begins' & 'In This Life' (maybe they'll grow with more listens). But overall, I'm impressed. No "huge" standout like her past albums, but a very daring album that flows really nicely! Even now, the theme of it feels quite risque! Some of the songs could do with being cut down a bit (a few of the tracks are a minute or so too long) to make it a BIT more cohesive, but that's fine. But yeah, very impressed. It's probably my favourite "album" so far, but it lacks the highs of the other albums!

*I actually really like DYDI? but it's not really a Madonna track!?

Album Rankings:
01. True Blue
02. Erotica
03. Like A Prayer
04. Madonna
05. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 11 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
Erotica is amongst my least favourites of her albums.

But I appreciate what she did and how it was such a bold and brave thing to release when she did it. I think it’s imagery and visuals are stunning too just the music is like sonically not what I’d choose to listen too.

I’d probably rate it as like her 12th best studio album or something. MDNA is definitely worse than this but I feel like I prefer everything else.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 11 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's not a huge favourite of mine either, but then whenever I listen to it I appreciate how cohesive it is and how striking it is. For its time too, there really isn't many other more controversial moments in pop than this + the SEX book!

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 11 2020, 06:45 PM) *
Just from the first 3 tracks alone, this is SO different to her previous 4 albums. She really wanted to strip that bubblegum pop, girl next door image, didn't she? I love the risk (I suspect it was an even bigger risk for it's time too). This might be one of those albums where I prefer it as an actual album to her others, but it lacks the highs of the other albums (similarly to how I feel about 'Joanne' from Gaga - obvz the content is v different lmao) so incredibly cohesive! I feel like it's "of it's time" but in the best way possible. It doesn't feel like it's aged but it doesn't feel like it'd be "fresh" now, if that makes sense. 'Rain' is lovely! A forgotten gem in her catalogue.

As you continue through them, you will start to really see why she is the queen of reinventions. Each era has its own distinct qualities and aesthetics and vibe. This is just one of many examples where you question if it's the same artist as the one you listened to previously laugh.gif

Great to see your love for Rain, Deeper and Deeper and Thief of Hearts wub.gif Also yes, Justify My Love could fit perfectly on this album, it's definitely the introduction and transition from Like A Prayer Madonna to Erotica Madonna!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jun 11 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Jonjo I need to know if you like Rescue Me from The Immaculate Collection!!! it's one of my absolute favourites but it's not generally that popular, it's another hybrid between the Erotica sound and the Vogue/Like a Prayer era.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 18 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
This album took the longest to click with me out of all Madonna's albums so I'm quite impressed at how much you like it already Jonjo!

I love the unpolished, beat-heavy approach to the album, I feel that really captures the lustful mood and puts you right into the depths of the club. Madonna's straight-talking attitude to sex was obviously really ambitious for the time but it still feels refreshing today, particularly the humour in songs like 'Where Life Begins'. The album is much more complex than given credit for too - it's often pigeonholed as a highly provocative, extreme exploration of sex, but there's many emotional, personal moments: the self-acceptance of sexuality in 'Deeper & Deeper', the healing nature of love in 'Rain', the harsh reality of the AIDS-epidemic in 'In This Life'.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 20 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Happy 28th birthday to this hugely influential/controversial and divisive album!

Are you a fan of the album or not?

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Oct 20 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
The title track still goes hard and Deeper and Deeper is one of my ultimate faves

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 21 2020, 06:02 AM
Post #10
Group icon

Remixes coming! dance.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Oct 21 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I like a few tracks from this as stand alone songs but it’s not an era / album I listen to as a whole.

Visually, I love it and it’s definitely ahead of its time. I’m just not keen on the spoken style vocals what are on a few of the tracks.

Every so often I think I’ll give it a listen to see if I feel any different towards it but yeah. I think the fact that I’d put Erotica bottom 3 across her whole discography might be my most controversial Madonna opinion.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Oct 23 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Erotica remixes are out now !!!

+Quote this post
Alberto!
post Oct 23 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 39,843
It's actually one of her albums I used to listen to as a whole (I was 11 years old when I bought this, many years later after its original release) but agree that apart from the great concept, visuals and originality, some tracks are not great standalone tracks I'd go back to.

This said, Deeper And Deeper, Bad Girl, Words and Why Is It So Hard are either classics or personal favourites I do return to.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Oct 23 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I was 10 when this album came out.

I remember learning the lyrics from the cassette inlay.

In year 6 in primary school we were asked to write a poem about the weather.

I copied / inspired by rain. The teacher thought it was marvellous and made me read it in an assembly.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Oct 23 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
Awesome album, special place in my heart.

Ah that’s a cute story about being influenced by Rain aged 10!

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post Oct 23 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586
It's truly fantastic album. I just love it.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Oct 24 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
My rank:

01) Deeper & Deeper
02) Erotica
03) Waiting
04) Where Life Begins
05) Bad Girl
06) Rain
07) Thief of Hearts
08) Words
09) In This Life
10) Fever
11) Why's It So Hard?
12) Bye Bye Baby
13) Secret Garden

Quite hard to rank as the quality is really consistent throughout - some songs could easily move around a couple of places on another listen. I've never really worked out where 'Erotica' places on my rank of Madonna's albums but, listening to it now, it's such a strong, focused body of work.

I saw this question asked on PopJustice which I thought was interesting: how successful would this album have been if Sex was never released? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 24 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Oct 24 2020, 04:51 PM) *
My rank:

01) Deeper & Deeper
02) Erotica
03) Waiting
04) Where Life Begins
05) Bad Girl
06) Rain
07) Thief of Hearts
08) Words
09) In This Life
10) Fever
11) Why's It So Hard?
12) Bye Bye Baby
13) Secret Garden

This is an interesting rank and makes me want to do my own. I definitely agree with the top few and bottom few but 'Thief of Hearts' and 'Rain' are too low for my liking! 'Where Life Begins' has never been a stand out for me, but maybe I need to listen again because 4th is totaly unexpected ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 24 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #19
Group icon

🔥🔥

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Oct 28 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(HausofGhibli @ Oct 24 2020, 06:01 PM) *
This is an interesting rank and makes me want to do my own. I definitely agree with the top few and bottom few but 'Thief of Hearts' and 'Rain' are too low for my liking! 'Where Life Begins' has never been a stand out for me, but maybe I need to listen again because 4th is totaly unexpected ohmy.gif

'Thief of Hearts' and 'Rain' could feasibly be higher because the quality is that good, but 'Bad Girl' has always been a favourite of mine and 'Where Life Begins' I think is one of Madonna's most clever and witty songs, plus the jazzy piano backdrop is perfect.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:43 AM