BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Confide in Me ● 25 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Aug 29 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Today marks 25 years since the release of 'Confide in Me', Kylie's first single released on Deconstruction Records. A collaboration with Brothers in Rhythm, 'Confide in Me' was a bold reinvention; daring, dramatic and dark, it was far removed from the formulated pop sound of her Stock Aitken Waterman days. The longer time length than previous Kylie singles allowed the Middle Eastern instrumentation and dance beats to flourish; its lengthy intro building atmosphere and intrigue through the eerie strings and piano arrangements, ahead of Kylie's vocal that held a new found strength and confidence. Accompanying the song was a vibrant video that portrayed Kylie as several female stereotypes within a call-in style commercial. It captures the mystery of the song whilst maintaining the sex appeal and personality of her work earlier in the decade.

The song was a chart success, reaching #1 in Australia, #2 in the UK and even made an impression on the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart. It remains one of Kylie's most popular tracks, featuring on many a tour and often placed high upon critic and fan made Kylie countdowns. 25 years on, is the song a hit or miss? The choice is yours.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 29 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 29 2019, 08:54 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
25 years already? Gah that makes me feel old!!!

At the time it was seen as a reinvention for her but was also slightly criticised as being an attempt to copy Madonna's rebranding on the Erotica album and Justify My Love with its obvious sexual undertones and playful video. For me, I remember hearing it and it totally wowed me as something that I never expected Kylie to release. It was a huge favourite of mine, I mean how can anyone not love that intro and those strings *.* - although I hated the butchery of the radio version. The sheer scale of it was just so impressive, it felt like a modern masterpiece to me at the time and the type of song that would become a much talked about classic... which of course didn't really play out that way at all due to the Deconstruction era going so wrong so quickly.

It gave me such high hopes that she was going to deliver an epic masterpiece of an album too and I rushed out to buy it on release day... I remember being so disappointed! I do quite like KM94 in retrospect but the single set such a high standard that it just felt a huge letdown at the time.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 29 2019, 09:25 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Where to start?! Such an iconic moment in Kylie’s career. The expectation of her return was fever pitch - I was initially disappointed but quickly grew to love it (and still do), it’s a song that really stood the test of time and was such an important time for Kylie and her career to be able to experiment away from PWL and bubble gum pop.

I still feel it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves - it’s not a song you ever causally hear on the radio etc.,

I remember being bitterly disappointed that it missed the #1 spot and was the only Top 10 hit from KM94 cry.gif I’d love to see Kylie mark moments like these that other acts that have avid collectors do by releasing a limited 12” version via her website.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 29 2019, 09:29 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(dandy* @ Aug 29 2019, 09:54 AM) *
It gave me such high hopes that she was going to deliver an epic masterpiece of an album too and I rushed out to buy it on release day... I remember being so disappointed! I do quite like KM94 in retrospect but the single set such a high standard that it just felt a huge letdown at the time.

Totally this!! I wasn’t and still am not a big fan of KM94 - you’re right in that it felt like a let down after CIM being such a masterpiece to launch the album.

The follow up PYSIMP is up there as being one of my favourite Kylie tracks however at the time it felt like a step back and a bit too pop after CIM. I adore it but I’m not sure it done the album or her musical direction any favours at the time.

+Quote this post
rowork
post Aug 29 2019, 09:46 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 42,680
Stunning. That introduction. wub.gif

One of my all time Kylie favourites.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Aug 29 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
God I still remember her entering at U.K. 2....so exciting.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 29 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Just watched a few of those clips, I really like the Showgirl Homecoming performance of it wub.gif

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 29 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(aeroco @ Aug 29 2019, 06:03 PM) *
God I still remember her entering at U.K. 2....so exciting.

Was so close to being #1 drama.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 29 2019, 09:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Such a classic. wub.gif I would say "how has it been 25 years?", but I was really very young when this came out and I wasn't aware of it at the time. laugh.gif

I feel like it was vocally the highlight of the Golden tour for me (when I saw her), it was just stunning.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Aug 29 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Confide in me is one of my favourite Kylie singles. It was a major turning point for Kylie and I was so delighted when it entered the charts at no2. I can’t believe it was released 25 years ago though!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 30 2019, 01:50 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Hard to believe its 25 years old, I wish I enjoyed the song like others do but I sadly dont but when it was released i tried everything to convince myself I liked it and I was so disappointed it entered at number 2 and not number 1.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 30 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
The song was a career changer in many many regards.
At the time, it was a necessity move from Kylie to ensure her music career lasted and 25 years later here we are.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 30 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
This absolutely places among my favourite Kylie songs. It's such a well-crafted song; the intro is so mysterious and chilling, then the strings come in and it ramps up the drama, Kylie's vocal begins and it's so confident and that trip-hop beat bubbles underneath. There's something both sinister and sexual about this song and that intrigues me so much - it's a bit like 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' in that sense as that's obviously meant to be a love song but there's also something obsessive about the lyrics. The video is fantastic too - I love the colours and its theme. Complete that with some stunning performances that are slightly updated each time but keep the original tone of the song at its core and it's just a perfect pop package.

Out of interest, does anyone else think the strings in 'Confide in Me' are reminiscent of the vocal melody in Opus' 'It's a Fine Day'?

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 31 2019, 02:57 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
No I dont hear the similarities but i love it's a fine day,.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 31 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
It's only in the strings that I can hear the similarity - when they first come in, I find myself humming "it's a fine day, people open windows".

Great to see so many positive comments! It really is one of Kylie's finest moments. Watching those live performances, she just slays this song. I particularly like the Fever version with the broken intro and the 2009 US tour performance, which I'm aware is the same arrangement as the Showgirl one, but I love the way she looks and the staging.

The Golden performance wasn't actually one of my highlights when I saw her - vocally she's great and the drama at the beginning is spot on, I just wish the climax was bigger.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 31 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Easily my fave of hers, what a song wub.gif I really wish she'd dabble with this kind of sound again, her voice really suits it!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 31 2019, 07:31 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I def dont want to see her dabble with this sound again,once was enough.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Sep 2 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Aug 31 2019, 08:31 PM) *
I def dont want to see her dabble with this sound again,once was enough.

I never quite understood what your big aversion to this song is. laugh.gif You mention it often enough but I don't think you've ever really expanded on it.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 2 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I prefer pop kylie but also enjoy her other styles,IP for example I love. Confide in me, I like the opening few seconds but after that i feel it goes nowhere and is flat and i just dont enjoy it, it's not a bop song nor a ballad, it's more a song that plods along. As I said before when it was released I so so wanted to like it but it always remains a disappointment for me but I do appreciate it was a game changer for kylie musically.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:33 PM