BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has streaming affected how much music you buy?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Has streaming affected how much music you buy?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
Catherine91
post Mar 28 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,774
   No Gallery Pics

Over the last couple of years, I have bought several albums I probably wouldn't have bought if I hadn't been able to listen to them via streaming first. Streaming has also allowed me to rediscover songs I had forgotten about, and I often end up buying these songs. So I think I'm buying more music now than before I began using streaming. I would probably be buying less music if I had a paid streaming subscription, but I have stuck with Spotify Free as I don't spend £10 a month on music.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Mar 28 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

I think I'm like most other people, I buy less music because of streaming. I can listen to albums I like and not have to shell out for them. I really like Markus Feehily's album and back a couple of years ago would have probably purchased a copy but don't feel the need now.

I guess if they are quality albums and I keep listening to them over the year they should get their £9 worth and the sale I would have given them.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Mar 28 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #3
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

My music buying habits haven't changed at all, I like keeping my iTunes library up to date and owning physical albums too, so I rarely use streaming services.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 28 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Not really, I still buy around the same number of albums - though these have always been on CD or vinyl.

I still download singles, especially the ones in my chart as I like to have them on my playlist on my home sound system and on my iPod. I used to buy all of my personal chart number 1s on CD single or vinyl (as available) but that has been increasingly difficult/impossible. I think the last one I actually bought was All Under One Roof Raving by Jamie xx which was on 12” vinyl.

Because this is a music site you are likely to find that our habits are not representative of the wider general public, who I'd assume are downloading/buying considerably less looking at the sales figures.

+Quote Post
Red.
post Mar 28 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 18,643
   No Gallery Pics

I used to buy songs quite regularly on iTunes. Then I got Spotify and haven't bought a song since September last year. I just add any new song I like to a playlist smile.gif

I don't listen to music when I am out anyway so the fact you need Internet to listen to Spotify doesn't bother me

+Quote Post
Nick Jonas
post Mar 28 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,481
   No Gallery Pics

Never streamed a thing. Can't see the point. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cowboystyle
post Mar 28 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 10,359
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Red. @ Mar 28 2016, 09:40 PM) *
I used to buy songs quite regularly on iTunes. Then I got Spotify and haven't bought a song since September last year. I just add any new song I like to a playlist smile.gif

I don't listen to music when I am out anyway so the fact you need Internet to listen to Spotify doesn't bother me

This is such a false conception, you can listen to Spotify offline if you have a premium account. I pay £7.50 a month (I have a family account with my partner) and have never bought a song since joining about a year ago.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Mar 28 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

I used to be a heavy downloader, I at least spent £20 a week on new releases and back catalogue. So far in 2016 Iv spent about £3 and have used free trials with Apple and Spotify.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 28 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #9
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Not really, I only ever buy songs I really LOVE and given I almost never use streaming services anyway that hasn't altered my purchasing habits in any way.

+Quote Post
Jake.
post Mar 28 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Validating
Member No.: 21,580
   No Gallery Pics

The only time I stream anything is if I'm unsure whether to purchase an album or not, a bit like a modern substitute for those headphone stands they used to have in record stores years ago (some independent stores still have them though), or if it's a back catalogue title that's too expensive/hard to find a physical copy of.

I still buy CDs fairly often actually, though if it's back catalogue stuff I'm quick to hunt for cheap second-hand copies that are obtainable rather cheaply on Amazon/eBay (unless it's those examples above, obviously).

I buy vinyl occasionally, particularly if it's some sort of special edition (such as the faux-velvet sleeve of Beach House's Depression Cherry album, for example) or if it's cheap. A few particular titles I've spotted on vinyl recently are slightly overpriced in my opinion; whilst my own mother has said how expensive they are compared to when she was my age.

I very rarely download anything - only digital-only singles and EPs by artists I like, in additional to a couple of albums not released physically (Drake and Future's What a Time to Be Alive is one notable example).

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Mar 28 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

I would say I buy less music now due to streaming. I usually just stream songs or an album I like on spotify. I also stream an album before deciding to buy it and that has stopped me buying some albums.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: Mar 28 2016, 11:18 PM

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Mar 28 2016, 11:21 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

No impact at all. I don't stream at all. I listen to clips on iTunes and if I like something then I'll buy the physical product.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Mar 29 2016, 04:21 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

I'm actually buying more music than ever but I don't think streaming has anything to do with it (or at least, it breaks about even) so I picked the middle option. The odd impact streaming has had is that my favourite songs no longer reach the same heights in playcounts as they once did, generally because there's so much more music to pick from, and I often like to chuck on an album I've never heard before on Spotify.

This post has been edited by Dircadirca: Mar 29 2016, 04:21 AM

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Mar 29 2016, 04:42 AM
Post #14
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Definitiely buy more here. It also reminds me when artists I actually like and want to support release something new, so I can listen it and decide if I want to buy it then.

Buying music becomes then, a thing you do deliberately as a gift to the artist, rather than you being held to ransom. That's the feel I get from it.

To me, streaming has just replaced the radio. It's a method of marketing themselves for artists and bands, rather than an income stream on par with selling singles or albums. I think it works very well as that kind of medium. Its advertising which also pays artists and bands a little bit of money coming in every month.

For an example, I only found out that The Feeling, Clare Maguire and Birdy were releasing new music this year because of Spotify. The ability to search out music and listen to leaves music fans better off than when they were at the mercy of radio stations' choice of what we got to hear or what got played.

I don't know what it was like in the past because I wasn't a music buyer then, but I like things the way they are now. I feel the consumer has the power to find what they want to listen to and make a choice to buy it or not - whether its new or old, as well.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Mar 29 2016, 05:17 AM
Post #15
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

It's made no difference to me - I still buy music I really like, as it just doesn't feel like mine if I only stream it.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Mar 29 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

I "buy" less but pay Spotify 10 a month so probably buying the same as before.

+Quote Post
richie
post Mar 29 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #17
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

I only buy MP3s if its an artist who (bizarrely) can't seem to get on Spotify. Usually that's through Bandcamp so more money goes to the artist.

Otherwise I buy records from merchandise stalls at gigs.

Can't remember the last time I bought a CD in a shop and it's been at least ten years since I bought anything on a major label.

Until I got a Premium account with Spotify I used to "try before I bought" quite a lot through various means. If I really liked an album ahead of release I would go buy it on LP when it came out, but then Aberdeen's record shop closed. Another has opened since, but I've also moved out to the Shire so streaming (even with our crap rural connection) is the way to go.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Mar 29 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

I use Spotify 24/7 but still buy albums (on vinyl or CD) of all my favourites, so nothing has changed for me cos I never bought a download. I used to have itunes but used only to store the files ripped off my CDs or illegal downloads but now haven't opened itunes in like 6 months.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 30 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I buy more downloads than ever on principle. My lifestyle doesn't allow me to stream, I'm too busy so I flick through itunes, radio playlists and buzzjack personal charts etc and try anything I like the sound of, if I like it I buy it and put it on a cd to play in the car which is where I listen to music the most. My chart is currently Top 100 and I've bought or will be buying every track in it.

I buy CD albums but don't have time to play them so they are stacked up ready for when I retire! I cherry pick album tracks these days except for must-buys (Pet Shop Boys, Coldplay, Adele etc) and I buy a lot of 100 Hits compilations cos it's cheaper than downloading 5 oldies and there are discoveries on them.

The sales chart is still where avid music fans have their tastes recognised, the streaming chart is a passive ongoing listening experience full of repeating favourites, no different from radio except it's a bit more selective and reinforcing rather than hearing new stuff you might not otherwise choose to hear. As I've said ad nauseum it doesn't reflect absolute popularity of music in general, it reflects the re-play habits of the mostly younger generation who have the time to browse, and as such it reflects what some people quite like rather than what a wide range of people love enough to buy. Total download sales still reflect the most-popular tracks so I don't buy into the argument that streaming is more accurate - it isn't, they just hang around longer as their fans continue to play the same tracks to the detriment of new releases.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Mar 30 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #20
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

No. I still buy none.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:11 AM