BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls Solo Singles Rate: RESULTS, Edited the results + full results revealed
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Nov 9 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #41
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

If it's Think About It, I'm locking the thread. x
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 9 2017, 12:55 AM
Post #42
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'Crickets Sing For Anamaria' is so idiosyncratic for a chart hit *.* easily the most interesting solo record that Emma put her name to.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 9 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #43
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I reckon 'For Once In My Life' must be in the next batch. As much as I was delighted by its unexpected release, I sense I may be alone.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Nov 9 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #44
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 9 2017, 01:55 AM) *
'Crickets Sing For Anamaria' is so idiosyncratic for a chart hit *.* easily the most interesting solo record that Emma put her name to.

Absolutely agree! Crickets was one of the most interesting mainstream pop releases of the mid-00s, for sure. I think people weren't ready for it though. Overall probably her most adventurous single, with a cute and creative video that was just fun.

Bloody UK never really appreciates the good things! cry.gif

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 9 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #45
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Nov 9 2017, 08:09 PM) *
Absolutely agree! Crickets was one of the most interesting mainstream pop releases of the mid-00s, for sure. I think people weren't ready for it though. Overall probably her most adventurous single, with a cute and creative video that was just fun.

Bloody UK never really appreciates the good things! cry.gif

Nor the rest of the world as it did nothing anywhere teresa.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 9 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #46
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Although to be fair top 20 is not a poor achievement at all I count anything going top 20 a hit (regardless of whether it sells well or not). Technically top 40 is what is called as a hit single.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 10 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #47
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Chasing shadows through the years

Three more solo singles drop in this bunch with 1 each from Mel B, Mel C & Geri.

#32. Mel B - For Once In My Life [6.351]

Highest Scores: 10: (JB2o20, missingyou, Jay), 9: (Lukuzz, Maurice) Lowest Scores: 1 (Mr.X)

At #32 is Mel B's most recent single 'For Once In My Life', which was released in September 2013 as a stand alone single and marked her first release in 8 years. So did this mean that we'd be getting a new album release with a new dancier sound for miss Mel B or was it something to test the waters so to speak, nobody at the time knew as this just came as a total surprise to many and we were looking forward to see what would come next.

Unfortunately nothing came next as this was just a one-off single that was co-written by herself and produced by Danish production team DEEKAY. Despite positive reviews the song failed to make any sort of impact by failing to chart at all on the UK charts, only denting the Indie chart at #30 as well as hitting #2 on the US Billboard Dance Songs chart. After filling the last decade with hosting duties on shows such as 'X-Factor', 'Dancing With The Stars', & 'America's Got Talent', as well as a couple of reunion slots with her fellow Spice Girls first in 2007 farewell tour then at the 2012 London Olympics closing ceremony. I'd say that she's kept herself rather busy over those past couple of years and it's been a very long time since there had been any sort of news regarding her new material.

But then in 2013 it looked like the wait was over and stepping away from the R&B infused sound of her older material and heading towards a more dance sound, which is certainly very different from her. It may take a few spins to get into this and when you do it's rather fun and yeah okay this did sound kinda stale back then and would have probably worked better in say '07 or '08, but it's definitely better than anything on her 'L.A. State Of Mind' album. Seriously though this is a bold and fun pop song to show that Melanie B was back and loving every minute of it (even if it was for a short time).

Let's not forget about that music video where she has hijacked the 'Desperate Housewives' set and kisses herself, but she looks fantastic doing it, juts breaking away and letting loose and overall just having a good time.

#31. Geri Halliwell - Calling [6.37]

Highest Scores: 10: (Lukuzz, mutucan), 9: (SamJudd, Jade), Lowest Scores: 1: (Mr.X)

At #31 is Geri Halliwell's 'Calling', released in November 2001 as the 3rd and final single from her 2nd album 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster' and just like the previous single success was limited despite a decent #7 peak in the UK it did little to help sales of the album as it was poorly promoted, and was reported to have upset Halliwell as it was her favourite song on the album and thought that it would have been a sure fire #1 hit. Due to this no further singles were released from the album despite 'Circles Round The Moon' being rumoured.

Geri would move to L.A. shortly after this and would take a break from the music industry and wouldn't release anything for 3 years. After she recorded a demo for this she would rush over to her friend and singer George Michael's house in London and would play it for him and he would only praise it if it was deserved and Geri was so confident of this she was willing to risk it and luckily for her he liked it and she believed that she really had a winner with this.

This was an instant firm fave of mine upon purchasing the album and guessed that either this or 'Love Is The Only Light' would have been her X-Mas ballad, and I would have been happy with either. The song is a very beautiful easy on the ear ballad that Geri really sells well with her lyrical skills at their peak, while at the same time being quite different to her past offerings up to this point and there is something definitely quite soulful to this, very romantic as Geri searches for that special soulmate. So yeah I would call this a very nice song, maybe not quite as interesting as her bold and brassy numbers, but at least it's something a little different from her and can show that she has another side to her.

I think maybe it has a bit hard to take for fans and the record buying public at the time and maybe they weren't ready for Miss Halliwell to take this kind of direction just yet, and plus with the previous single only managing to enter at the lower half of the top 10, then there was no-way this would have put her back to #1, she was lucky that this did manage to chart 1 place higher than that previous single or even top 10 at all, so it's chart peak wasn't bad result at all and this did give her 7th top 10 hit in a row.

#30. Melanie C - Carolyna [6.388]

Highest Scores: 10: (Spiceboy, Jonjo), 9: (SamJudd, Jack, Schizo Spice), Lowest Scores: 1: (engineer)

At #30 is Melanie C with 'Carolyna', released in June 2007 as the 2nd single from her 4th album 'This Time' and although she worked hard on promotion for the single, it didn't have the impact that she'd hoped and it ended up peaking at #49 on the UK charts, becoming her first to miss the top 40 and it did fare a little better in Europe by topping the charts in Portugal and reaching top 40 peaks in Germany, Italy & Switzerland.

This was released the same week as the announcement of the Spice Girls reforming and therefore didn't receive much attention here in the UK and after the lead single 'I Want Candy' underperformed, well it kinda sealed it's fate and radio stations just weren't really interested in any solo Spice Girls material anymore. Which is a shame really, as this definitely deserved so much better as it is a very decent song with a catchy enough chorus that's a million times better than the awful throwaway lead single. But by this point nobody was interested anymore and Mel C was the only one left as all the others had well and truly waned by this point.

Maybe if this was the lead single then it could have stood a better chance, but I doubt it as nothing would have helped by this point. The song itself is really good and opens with a supple guitar chords, then reaches fever pitch over a fantastic razor sharp chorus and a fantastic melody that just soars over the alternative rock production. This was definitely a much better representation of the album and gives you a much better taste of what kind of sound she was going for.

So in all this is just a very underrated glorious piece of music that Melanie C has well and truly nailed by this point and even though her chart hit days were behind her, she was still capable of making great music.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 14 2020, 05:59 PM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 10 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #48
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Goes and play Carolyna !!!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 11 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #49
   No Gallery Pics

Here's a quick re-cap of the results so far 30-52

30. Melanie C - Carolyna = 6.388
31. Geri Halliwell - Calling = 6.37
32. Mel B - For Once In My Life = 6.351
33. Emma Bunton - Crickets Sing For Anamaria = 6.277
34. Emma Bunton - Downtown = 6.24
35. Emma Bunton - We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight = 6.222
36. Melanie C - Here It Comes Again = 6.111
37. Melanie C - Goin' Down = 6.018
38. Melanie C - If That Were Me = 5.944
39. Victoria Beckham - A Mind Of It's Own = 5.87
40. Melanie C - First Day Of My Life = 5.846
41. Melanie C (Ft Emma Bunton) - I Know Him So Well = 5.74
42. Melanie C - Yeh, Yeh, Yeh = 5.703
43. Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster = 5.648
44. Melanie C - This Time = 5.5
45. Geri Halliwell - Desire = 5.314
46. Melanie C - Melt = 5.25
47. Mel B - Word Up = 5.148
48. Mel B - Lullaby = 4.944
49. Geri Halliwell - Angels In Chains = 4.788
50. Mel B - Today = 4.555
51. Melanie C - I Want Candy = 4.277
52. Geri Halliwell - Half Of Me = 2.846

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 11 2017, 12:01 AM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 11 2017, 06:18 AM
Post #50
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh Yeh Yeh and FDOML should be higher . Otherwise quite fair.

Goin Down should be in the top 20 !!

This post has been edited by vibe: Nov 11 2017, 06:19 AM

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 11 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

'Calling' is a beautifully written and composed song. I loved it as a teenager. But now, I don't think it's perfectly suited to Geri's voice. She should have sold it to Emma! wink.gif

To me, 'Carolyna' is derivative of Red Hot Chilli Peppers' sound, but with less inspired lyrics. But it was still one of the more single-worthy tracks on the album. Thankfully Melanie changed direction with 'The Sea'!

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 28 2017, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Nov 11 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #52
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Member No.: 1,209

Calling is beautiful. Definitely one of Geris best.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 12 2017, 01:53 AM
Post #53
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah I agree that 'Calling' is a Geri highlight for sure! A really stunning tender moment from her that worked a lot better for me than 'Lift Me Up' for instance.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 12 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #54
   No Gallery Pics

And all you loved was Mel B's money

Just 2 to drop in this section, 1 each from both the Mel's. Mel B just has 2 songs left in the running, while Melanie C who yet again loses another song, still has 8 left in the running.

#29. Melanie C - Next Best Superstar [6.425]

Highest Scores: 10: (Spiceboy, Jonjo), 9.5/9: (Lukuzz, Jay), Lowest Scores: 2: (engineer)

At #29 is Melanie C's 'Next Best Superstar', released in April 2005 as the lead single from her 3rd album 'Beautiful Intentions' and talks about the fickleness of fame resulting from manufactured genre shows such as 'Pop Idol' (basically the same as 'X-Factor). This was also her first release on her own record label 'Red Girl Records', and upon release it managed to peak at #10 on the UK charts, becoming her 7th and final top 10 hit to date.

After getting dropped by Virgin Records, Melanie C was down but not out as she came back fighting with this angry somewhat controversial little number, okay it's not something that hasn't been done before, but this new wave guitar driven song is well and truly captivating and it's a good way to get all of her frustration out after being snubbed by the industry. Her vocals sound fantastic here and especially shines throughout the angry verses and infectious chorus that warns all the pop wannabes out there about the music industry and she sings it with such angst and conviction. So yeah this is just a great song with excellent verses that really makes you think and deserved more than the minor success it had at the time and maybe all the reality show wannabes should really listen to this before they head out onto that stage in hopes of stardom that's not all it seems.

While this may have been the last hurrah for her chart wise in the UK, it does show that she can make it on her own and it's great to see her still making music even by this point where a lot of artists (including her bandmates) gave up and even without the big record label backing Melanie could still manage a small hit which may not be on the level of her 'Northern Star' days, it however still packs a punch and with a tight band behind her, she can always still deliver great music. 'Better Alone' was planned to follow this, but would only be released to iTunes and her website which sold a limited amount of copies, deeming it ineligible to chart due to the rules at the time, and the song would only be released later in Europe as the 3rd single following the massive success of 'First Day Of My Live where this achieved minor success with top 40 placings in Switzerland & Italy.

#28. Mel B - Tell Me [6.444]

Highest Scores: 10: (Michael Andrew, Lukuzz, engineer), 9: (Euphorique, mutucan), Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell)

At #28 is Mel B's 'Tell Me' which was released in September 2000 as the 2nd and lead single from her debut album 'Hot' and peaked at #4 on the UK charts, giving her 2nd top 5 hit and lyrically it's a no-hold barred attack on her ex-husband Jimmy Gulzar and definitely unleashing her Scary Spice persona.

A definite nod to the garage and R&B sounds of the time where she airs out all her dirty laundry for the public to see and she doesn't care and that's what I've always liked about Mel B 's feisty and fiery attitude and here she is a woman scorned and wanted the whole world to know about it, which certainly suits her personality. But despite at how hard she tries Mel B doesn't quite have the vocal strength to pull this off successfully as I find this song could have definitely used a bit more polish and fine tuning as it feels somewhat unfinished compared to some of the other tracks that are on said album. You can see that she's trying to go for that American R&B sound with this and despite getting some top notch producers on board she doesn't quite manage to pull it off despite how hard she tries, even resorting to shouting her way through the second verse.

Despite all the ingredients being there, something is definitely lacking that prevents me from fully enjoying this song. Even given the songs success the album which would be the first Spice Girl solo album flopped on the charts, despite being released 2 weeks after a top 5 hit, peaking at a mere #28 on the UK charts and failing to make much impact anywhere else. It was cited that the main lack of interest for this project was that this was released less than a month before the then upcoming Spice Girls album 'Forever', where fans were more interested in that than this and the not so great reviews probably didn't help either and to date this would be her only studio album released on a major record label and despite further singles being released, nothing helped interest as this floundered without a trace.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 14 2020, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 12 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #55
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

NBS Is amazing !!!

The Adlibs at the end 👍🏻😊😁👌🔥

This post has been edited by vibe: Nov 13 2017, 07:11 AM

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #56
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

What!!! How can Next Best Superstar be so low!!!!! It's easily top 20 for me wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 13 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #57
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I love 'Tell Me'. Definitely of it's time, but it's packed with sass and great to dance to. I even love Mel's vocals throughout (even the shouty bits are right for the song, imo). I think the production is slick, and it has some nice original touches musically.

'Beautiful Intentions' was a point at which I moved away from Melanie C's music. The album was just too much of a downer for me and 'Next Best Superstar' is somewhat indicative of that. Revisiting it years later, there are a few album tracks I really like but I can't listen to the whole thing in one go. Melanie had a lot to get off her chest!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 15 2017, 01:01 AM
Post #58
   No Gallery Pics

Take this dream and make it true

Another 2 solo spices drop, Melanie C loses the last of the 'Reason' era singles, while Emma Bunton also says goodbye to the 'Life In Mono' era and finishes with the same average as Mel B's - Tell Me, this is higher due to it getting more 10's.

#27. Emma Bunton - All I Need To Know [6.444] (More 10's)

Highest Scores: 10: (Mr.X, Lukuzz, Jay, Maurice), 8.5/8: (Michael Andrew, Euphorique, missingyou, Liam, LazySpice88), Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell)

At #27 is Emma Bunton's 'All I Need To Know', released in February 2007 as the 2nd and final single from her 3rd album 'Life In Mono'. The song was co-written by Jamie Hartman who is notable for previously writing the hit 'All Time Love' by Will Young. The single peaked at #60 on the UK charts and lasted just one week on the charts before falling out, making this not only her lowest peaking single, but her final solo single to date and first to miss the top 20 entirely.

It was such a shame that this would be the last ever solo release by the fabulous Emma Bunton as I thought that she'd found her little niche, a sound that really suited her beautiful delicate vocals. This song is a breathtakingly beautiful ballad and very tender that vocally she really pulls off well, with such rich and warm vocals and there's a definite sadness when listening to this and that comes down to it's classy strings and arrangement as well as the music video which really suits the tone of the song where she's an angel watching over various lonely people, none of whom can see her, leaving floating feathers as the only trace of her presence,

Maybe it wasn't interesting enough to be a success on the charts and considering her album didn't exactly set the charts alight, there wasn't much of a chance for this, kinda doomed from the start if you ask me, it just got lost amongst the shuffle despite being perfectly suited for it's Valentine's day release. Yes I did say the song is very nice, but may have not been the most interesting choice for Emma to release at this stage in her career, yeah it's sweet but maybe a little too sweet with little substance and not a strong enough or memorable hook and that's why it failed. Maybe one of the more upbeat tracks on the album may have worked better instead, but doubt it though as it seemed that her time in the spotlight was up unfortunately.

Despite the lack of success for this single there was another single rumoured with tracks 'I Wasn't Looking (When I Found Love)', 'Perfect Strangers' & 'Take Me To Another Town' all in the running to be picked, but due to her pregnancy all forms of promotion were cancelled after a few months of release and this idea go scrapped indefinitely as she decided to quit the music industry and focus on her family, which for her was probably the best choice considering how the music scene was changing and Spice Girl solo records were no longer making big impacts on the charts anymore.

#26. Melanie C - On The Horizon [6.574]

Highest Scores: 10: (SamJudd, Jonjo, engineer), 9: (Jay), Lowest Scores: 2: (missingyou, Supercell)

At #26 is Melanie C with 'On The Horizon' which was released in June 2003 as the 2nd single from her 2nd album 'Reason' and peaked at #14 on the UK charts becoming her 8th top 20 hit and selling 8,000 copies in it's first week, despite being dubbed the standout and potential big hit on the album.

I would definitely agree that this was a standout pick from the album, as it was the one that I instantly fell in love with upon the album's release with it's energetic summery vibe and positive uplifting lyrics, along with a catchy chorus and fantastic pop rock beat that Mel C really soars beautifully. In other words yes it's the perfect song for the summer and the guitar sound throughout is fantastic that really lifts the whole thing. I remember at the time many people compared this to one of Ronan Keating's songs and yeah I can see that, but this is a million times better than anything he's ever done, as this is much smarter and sharper piece of music.

Okay this may not compare to some of the singles from her debut album, but did deserve much better than it's chart performance and should at least made the top 10, as it's a cracking piece of pop music that probably would have worked better in the late 90's or the year 2000 like most tracks on the 'Reason', but nonetheless it's still a great underrated number that should be more remembered.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 14 2020, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 15 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #59
   No Gallery Pics

There's 25 songs left and here's what's left in the running from each member =

Mel B
I Want You Back (Ft Missy Elliot)
Feels So Good

Melanie C
When You're Gone (Ft Bryan Adams)
Northern Star
Never Be The Same Again (Ft Lisa "Left Eye" Lobes)
I Turn To You
Think About It
Loving You (Ft Matt Cardle)
Anymore

Geri Halliwell
Look At Me
Mi Chico Latino
Lift Me Up
Bag It Up
It's Raining Men
Ride It

Emma Bunton
What I Am (Ft Tin, Tin Out)
What Took You So Long
Take My Breath Away
Free Me
Maybe
I'll Be There

Victoria Beckham
Out Of Your Mind (Ft Truesteppers & Dane Bowers)
Not Such An Innocent Girl
Let Your Head Go
This Groove

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 15 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #60
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I hate the video for OTH

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:12 AM