BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
35 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 >  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> The lovely discussion of all things EU and/or Brexit, Part IV
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 18th December 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #661
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Absolute joke May wants to wait until 14/1/19 to have the vote!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 18th December 2018, 06:23 AM
Post #662
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

I hear that Tony Blair is calling for a 2nd referendum - perhaps we should have a 2nd go at the Chilcott inquiry too... wink.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 18th December 2018, 08:18 AM
Post #663
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Tony Blair really needs to stay out of it. If he campaigns for a 2nd referendum, then it (almost) definitely won't happen.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th December 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #664
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 17 2018, 06:24 AM) *
Neither can they fly over us...

Besides, if the EU were to act like this, motivated by petty spite, it would conform everything Brexiters claim about them!

Its not "acting like this" its the uk being totally unprepared cos yknow LIARS MAKING PROMISES THEY CANT KEEP. Why do you think they have all bailed out and left May to take blame? Cos they lied and are trying to lie their way iut of taking the blame.

Parliament is a mess because it was always going to be a mess when there is no clear cohesive achievable plan and you saying "its not up to me to fix it" is the same as johnson reesmogg davies and the other quitters saying the same pretending they have an answer when they dont. Nor does Corbyn, the only reality is yes to the deal or a referendum on not leaving or economic disaster.

Any idiot can see that.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 18th December 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #665
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Dec 18 2018, 11:19 AM) *
Parliament is a mess because it was always going to be a mess when there is no clear cohesive achievable plan and you saying "its not up to me to fix it" is the same as johnson reesmogg davies and the other quitters saying the same pretending they have an answer when they dont. Nor does Corbyn, the only reality is yes to the deal or a referendum on not leaving or economic disaster.

Any idiot can see that.

Question : Exactly *how* will another referendum 'fix it'?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th December 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #666
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 18 2018, 02:46 PM) *
Question : Exactly *how* will another referendum 'fix it'?

We carry on as we did before the unholy mess and all bickering ends.

We force mps to accept the deal and get in with years of trade deal sorting.

The population accepts all the consequences and hardships from leaving with no deal and parliament works together to minimise the damage given those instructions.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 18th December 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #667
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Ministers are being told to prepare for a rise in suicide in the event of a chaotic no-deal Brexit, according to a leaked document seen by The Times.

Officials say that in the event of Britain leaving the EU without a deal and on unfriendly terms, they must “create a strategy with other government departments — handling the negative impacts (eg homelessness, poverty and suicide).”

This outcome is likely to cause unemployment and welfare spending to rise to levels last seen after the 2008-09 crash. The unemployment benefit bill could rise by almost £12 billion over three years.

Quite remarkable that the government is even suggesting that No Deal is a possibility at this point- I accept that it is the default option but it really should be doing everything it can to prevent it IMO.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th December 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #668
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 18 2018, 10:47 PM) *
Quite remarkable that the government is even suggesting that No Deal is a possibility at this point- I accept that it is the default option but it really should be doing everything it can to prevent it IMO.

The plans for No Deal really are bonkers. We expect governments to prepare for unpredictable events such as a severe winter or a drought. We do not expect them to spend huge sums of money preparing for something they can prevent very easily.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 18th December 2018, 11:46 PM
Post #669
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 18 2018, 11:41 PM) *
The plans for No Deal really are bonkers. We expect governments to prepare for unpredictable events such as a severe winter or a drought. We do not expect them to spend huge sums of money preparing for something they can prevent very easily.

This is my take too - what a complete and utter waste of public money. Part of me thinks this is a PR move to put pressure on MPs to back May’s deal.

Everyone with sense knows No Deal is absolutely bonkers and there is no way it can go through.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 19th December 2018, 06:19 AM
Post #670
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Dec 18 2018, 07:42 PM) *
We carry on as we did before the unholy mess and all bickering ends.

Are you kidding me?! ohmy.gif

Do you seriously think we Leavers will sit down and take it, given that you Remainers didn't?

On a side issue, I doubt the EU would let us continue as if nothing had happened. Given their vindictive nature, they'd be looking to extract some serious concessions from us...

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th December 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #671
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Escalation of commitment is a helluva drug.

I believe however that the Leaver hardcore is much more of a minority than was apparent in the vote so it will end up similarly to before but without this issue taking away time from more important issues of government.

Also, did you forget Vid, that the ECJ ruled that we could cancel Article 50 unilaterally, so with no permission from the EU needed? The EU will have no incentive to punish us if we stay in the club, it’s what they want. And this mess has been an excellent advertisement for the rest of their members to stay members. Poland or Hungary and most else making eurosceptic noises have gone very quiet, no one wants to embarrass themselves like Britain has now. Punishing Britain just wakes up the eurosceptics elsewhere.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 19th December 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #672
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Izzy Blizzard @ Dec 19 2018, 08:45 AM) *
Escalation of commitment is a helluva drug.

I believe however that the Leaver hardcore is much more of a minority than was apparent in the vote so it will end up similarly to before but without this issue taking away time from more important issues of government.

Also, did you forget Vid, that the ECJ ruled that we could cancel Article 50 unilaterally, so with no permission from the EU needed? The EU will have no incentive to punish us if we stay in the club, it’s what they want.

But Leavers would have every incentive to punish politicians in those circumstances!

And this mess has been an excellent advertisement for the rest of their members to stay members. Poland or Hungary and most else making eurosceptic noises have gone very quiet, no one wants to embarrass themselves like Britain has now. Punishing Britain just wakes up the eurosceptics elsewhere.

What a nice organisation the EU is - using intimidation as an incentive for Eurosceptics to keep quiet... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by vidsanta: 19th December 2018, 10:49 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th December 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #673
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 19 2018, 06:19 AM) *
Are you kidding me?! ohmy.gif

Do you seriously think we Leavers will sit down and take it, given that you Remainers didn't?

On a side issue, I doubt the EU would let us continue as if nothing had happened. Given their vindictive nature, they'd be looking to extract some serious concessions from us...

This mess has nothing to do with remainers and we havent rioted in the street or done anything undemocratic. Just moaned about the lies, and you hve to put up with that just like we put up with brexit moanibg forDECADES.

THE EU IS NOT VINDICTIVE. THEY HAVE OFFERED THE BEST DEAL THEY CAN WITHOUT DESTROYING THE CORNERSTONES OF THE EU AND DESTROYING THE EU ITSELF.

I mean deluded much like all brexiters ignoring reality in favour of bitter lies and whatabouts when they caused the mess. No one else. They own it all.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th December 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #674
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 19 2018, 10:48 AM) *
But Leavers would have every incentive to punish politicians in those circumstances!
What a nice organisation the EU is - using intimidation as an incentive for Eurosceptics to keep quiet... rolleyes.gif

The reason both labour and tories are stuffed with the mess they have created is that both fear losing the leave voters if they back down. As long as both spout identical bullshit they can just blame voters in the referendum and remainers have no option but to keep voting the same party way. That underpins the whole selfish lot of em. Its nothing to do with the eu. Our governmwnt has agreed a deal with them. Neither party can admit its a shitshow disaster that even the ones who agreed the deal cant support it resigning like lemmings even when its they who failed to honour their promises. The eu has done what it said it would do and has never lied.

Eurosceptics keeping quiet? Oxymoron! Theyve done nothing but whinge and badmouth the eu for decades. Including act illegally, lie, get rich iff slagging it off and creating chaos.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th December 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #675
Group icon

I feel that the Leavers who wish for that to be the hill they die on are, again, a very vocal minority. If it is cancelled, the net political effect will be nil for the person who cancelled it (hero to remain, devil incarnate for leave, also let’s stop the black and white things it’s so tiring), and this form of political factionalism moves into the background somewhat f***ing finally. As before a Leave party will rise and continue campaigning with the occasional protest, not UKIP though, they are too far gone. Literally overthrowing the government is a fantasy. Calls for a third referendum are made occasionally, but no politician will run with it as a mandate for a long while. If Brexit goes through, similar story but flipped, and the worsening economic situation will hasten the calls for rejoining, some politician DOES run with it as a mandate and we rejoin the EU after a decade or two of instability.

The quickest way for this all to go away relatively speaking is the canceling.

QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 19 2018, 10:48 AM) *

Nah, we’ve done the intimidation ourselves. After seeing how much of a pig’s ear leaving is, eurosceptics aren’t looking to leave the EU, they’re doing the much more constructive ve thing of seeing how their issues with the org can be addressed from within.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th December 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #676
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Great article on labour list today. What's more important democracy or economics?

https://labourlist.org/2018/12/labour-must-...her-referendum/

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th December 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #677
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

That’s a straw man argument.

A second vote is democracy in action, given the illegality of the leave campaigns conduct during the first EU referendum it would be undemokratisch to continue down this path

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th December 2018, 11:30 PM
Post #678
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I have to say I disagree I think it would cause more division than anything else.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 20th December 2018, 06:27 AM
Post #679
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Dec 19 2018, 11:27 AM) *
The eu has done what it said it would do.

So did a certain German leader between 1933-1945...

QUOTE(Izzy Blizzard @ Dec 19 2018, 11:32 AM) *
I feel that the Leavers who wish for that to be the hill they die on are, again, a very vocal minority. If it is cancelled, the net political effect will be nil for the person who cancelled it (hero to remain, devil incarnate for leave, also let’s stop the black and white things it’s so tiring), and this form of political factionalism moves into the background somewhat f***ing finally. As before a Leave party will rise and continue campaigning with the occasional protest, not UKIP though, they are too far gone. Literally overthrowing the government is a fantasy. Calls for a third referendum are made occasionally, but no politician will run with it as a mandate for a long while. If Brexit goes through, similar story but flipped, and the worsening economic situation will hasten the calls for rejoining, some politician DOES run with it as a mandate and we rejoin the EU after a decade or two of instability.

The quickest way for this all to go away relatively speaking is the canceling.

I can assure you it will not - only 3rd world dictatorships cancel votes they don't like...

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th December 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #680
Group icon

...canceling through the mechanism of a referendum of course...

+Quote this post

35 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 >
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 10:32 AM