BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your Girls Aloud Memories, Share them with us!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 21st March 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

So, after the awful news that Girls Aloud are splitting, what memories will you look back on in years to come? Did you go to one of their concerts, or even meet one of the girls? How did you discover the girls? etc.

The girls have been a really big part of my life for ten years now, I have SO many memories:

- Choosing to buy Sound of the Underground (the album) over a cuddly toy ten years ago when I had no idea who these girls were. laugh.gif That's how my love for them started. wub.gif
- Attending the What Will the Neighbours Say? Concert - my first ever concert, and whilst I don't remember LOTS from it, I still have a couple of bits of merchandise from it, as well as the DVD.
- The Show and Love Machine's music videos, used to watch them ALL THE TIME.

And I'm sure there are so many more! Quite possibly my favourite band of all time.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 21st March 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

• Seeing 'Sound Of The Underground' on TV when I was 11 and thinking 'who do these girls think they are?' and switching the TV over before song ended. It then grew, in a MASSIVE way, once I got hooked on 'No Good Advice'.
• Thinking 'Sexy! No No No...' was shit upon release. Then it growing after a mad karaoke session!
• 'Untouchable' have some crazy chart run for me.
• Played 'Out Of Control' to death!
• The excitement of 'Something New', then thinking it was a ad underwhelming, then becoming addicted!
• Queuing for 3 and a half ours before doors opened for the only time I saw them TWO days ago. How amazing!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 21st March 2013, 07:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

- 'Wake Me Up' - Was really a casua fan up until this release, still one of my favourites. wub.gif Bought 'What Will The Neighbours Say?' and never looked back.
- Waiting outside HMV for it to open to buy 'Something Kinda Ooooh' on release day.
- Always moving their singles to the number 1 spot in Woolworths.
- Tangled Up tour - sublime.

+Quote this post
troublepink
post 21st March 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590

My Girls Aloud memories....

- I was never a fan. At all. My sister used to play their music a lot when I was living at home, and I'd be having a music war by playing some rock band and/or Pink.
- I was 'dragged' to see Cheryl's tour with my sister, I decided to go so that she wouldn't be able to say no when I asked her to see Pink with me laugh.gif
- ....Actually really enjoyed Cheryl's concert!!! Waited outside of her hotel as well hoping to meet her, she didnt come out of the main enterance, so we only saw her car go past.
- My sis then asked me to go see Girls Aloud's Ten Tour and I agreed, enjoyed that too, with VIP seats (front row seats baby!!! tongue.gif )

I would say that I'm a 'converted' fan. I dont think I'd listen to them on my ipod on the way to work, but I don't 'hate' them the way I used to when I was living with my sister laugh.gif
I'd go to see them again, but I don't think I would pay VIP (unless we got the early entry standing, nothing beats the buzz of being on the barrier wub.gif ). My only reason for not wanting to buy VIP is because atm I can barely afford to see artists I like, nevermind ones that I'm not really a fan of, over the last 4 or 5 months I've spent about £3000 on concerts ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Only Human
post 21st March 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 8,112

Them winning a BRIT award has to be the best memory for me! They'd waited 7 years for one & their reaction was just amazing as it looked like they were genuinely shocked tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Hayzayy
post 21st March 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Who's Daniel btw ?
User: 1,804

- Finding out about them with "I'll stand by you" and "Wake me up", and quickly becoming a HARDCORE FAN. wub.gif
- Flying to the UK/London for the first time ever with my best friend at the time only to see the Greatest Hits tour and we were even not 18 but somehow we went through this all and it was BRILLANT. w00t.gif
- Truly enjoying the "Tangled up" era because I was living in London at this time and going to the "Tangled up" tour two nights in a row at the 02.
- Briefly seeing them on the red carpet for the Brits 2008 and getting an album signed by Nicola. happy.gif
- Chatting to so many great people online thanks to Girls Aloud and meeting my best "online friend". heart.gif
- Playing "The Promise" to death at house parties until it became a guilty pleasure/party anthem for all of my friends. dance.gif
- Turning the boyfriend into a hardcore fan, watching all the DVDs with him, dancing to their music with him, and meeting Kimberley with him before we eventually broke up after one year togehter. sad.gif

And SO MANY MORE MEMORIES cry.gif
Oh god, I am really going to miss them.

This post has been edited by Hayzayy: 21st March 2013, 08:37 PM

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 21st March 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

- Watching Popstars The Rivals all the way through and loving Sound Of The Underground
- Buying 'Life Got Cold' the first single of theirs I bought (even though I loved the previous two) but this was the song that made me become much more interested in them
- Seeing them at a crappy festival in Stockton in 2004 where Nadine was missing and they mimed 2 songs laugh.gif
- After 'Whole Lotta History' was released I became a mega fan and when and bought all of their previous material that I didn't already own and bought everything since.
- Seeing the 'Tangled Up' and 'Out Of Control' tours Live in Newcastle
- Seeing them at V Festival in 2008
- My addiction to 'Sexy! No No No...' still my most EVER played song by any artist!
- Becoming obsessed with Nicola, particularly around the TU era and Passions of Girls Aloud
- Them winning a Brit Award and feeling so proud!
- Dying for the reunion announcement and Seeing 'Ten Tour' Live in Newcastle.

+Quote this post
FezVez
post 21st March 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,358

- I was a Popstars: The Rivals addict and remember the final like it was yesterday. Javine was one of my favourites throughout but I remember frantically text voting for Sarah during the break before we found out the fifth member. I subconsciously knew who HAD to be in the line up, clearly.
- Playing the 'SOTU' album on repeat on my CD walkman during my weekend residential school trip.
- Meeting them back in September 2003 at local radio concert, Clea (remember them?) were also in attendance. I was so starstruck and they all smelt divine, haha.
- Assuring my Dad that the revised edition of 'SOTU' was a totally new album to the one released in May... and bagged myself a copy. Thank you for the alternative artwork!
- Hearing 'Love Machine' for the first time at another local radio concert and seeing what a difference a year had made, they were much more polished.
- Loving every episode of 'Off The Record'.
- Chemistry Tour
- My friend thinking I was mental for buying two versions of 'Something Kinda Ooooh'. They don't get it do they, CD 1 and CD 2 are totally different.
- Going through a phase of 'I Think We're Alone Now' being my favourite GA single. I got over it, but it's still up there for me.
- YouTubing the X Factor 'The Promise' performance over and over and over again.
- Out of Control tour and it's beautiful programme.
- Reunion announcement
- The perfection of every new track on 'Ten'
- The Ten Tour; dancing, singing and reminiscing to every song (...bar Call Me Maybe, ha).

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 21st March 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Meeting and having my picture with my two favourite members (Nadine and Nicola) will always be the best memory for me.

Then Nadine speaking to me from stage in Birmingham on the OOC tour was another highlight... and her recognising me on this tour after all this time.

My first Aloud single was Life Got Cold and I bought it in a Virgin Megastores in Stoke on Trent (of all places)... I walked out the shop, then walked back in and bought No Good Advice as well.

I remember PSTR like it was yesterday. I didn't want Nicola to get in at the time as I thought she was moodier than the others. My favourite even then was Nadine.

One memory that makes me laugh to this day is that I did a banner for when I was front row for TU tour in Liverpool and the banner took loads of effort and said Girls Aloud: Sexy Yes Yes Yes.... I then left it on the train. GUTTED.

I remember asking my aunty to buy me Chemistry for Christmas but she just HAD to buy me the limited edition version. When she handed me my wrapped present, it was in a box the size of a bed side table and just as heavy. She'd only weighed it down with loads of weights and things and I remember listening to it over and over again.

I will really miss those girls sad.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 22nd March 2013, 12:16 AM
Post #10
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Popstars: The Rivals is where it all started for me. I was 14 at the time, and right from the start I was more intrigued by a girl group being formed, than a boy band. I supported the idea of them before they existed! laugh.gif Voted for Nadine & Nicola so many times. I remember not being happy that Sarah was chosen over Javine - but thank goodness she was!

'No Good Advice' premiered about the same time I discovered illegal downloading. I thought it was such a novelty that I had the song on my computer, weeks before the release. laugh.gif This was one of my favourite songs of 2003, and it was with this release that I thought that they were going to be around for a while to come. The love well and truly started here.

I saw them for the first time in November 2005 at the Birmingham Christmas Lights. This was in actual fact the first time I'd been to a music gig. Sadly Sarah wasn't there, but I was absolutely buzzing seeing them right in front of me, in the flesh! This was during promotion for 'Biology'.

Over the years, I saw them 10 times in total. Four of these occasions were 'Tangled Up' dates. The 'Tangled Up' summer date at Harewood House sticks out as my favourite. We were right at the barrier, and wearing specially made T-Shirts (white, with a "gift wrapped kitty kat" logo on the front, lol). Each of us had our favourite band member's name on it, so mine said Nadine. She spotted my t-shirt during Love Machine (I was wearing a jacket over it for all the concert, but I took it off for this song). She spotted it, and gave me a lot of attention for it! She waved, did a very exaggerated "aww thanks very much" action, and then blew a kiss. I was so stunned!

I met them briefly at their Dreams That Glitter book signing. Nadine was absolutely wonderful, so friendly. wub.gif It was a dream come true to speak with her, even though it was very short. Short but sweet.

My mum knew someone at work who was involved in the Kilimanjaro climb. She told him I was a fan, and he said he'd try and get me something signed. He asked Kimberley, and she got all the girls to sign a postcard for me, and they wrote my full name as well. heart.gif My most treasured item!

TANGLED UP. Perfection.

SOMETHING KINDA OOOOH. Flawless. I'll always remember me & my GA friends going wild in an MSN conversation when it was revealed it'd entered the charts at #5 on downloads only!

There's so much more. I probably have a few memories associated with each song, album and tour, but I've already gone on long enough. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Vülker
post 25th March 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222

MTV DANCEFLOOR CHART
2003 April 26
1 Panjabi Mc – Mundian To Bach Ke
2 Iio – At The End
3 Chicane Ft Peter Cunnah – Love On The Run
4 Snap! – Rhythm Is A Dancer 2003
5 Girls Aloud – Sound Of The Underground
6 Missy Elliott Ft Ludacris – Gossip Folks (Fatboy Slim Remix)
7 Scooter – Weekend!
8 Bob Sinclar - The Beat Goes On
9 Funkstar De Luxe – Blinded By The Light
10 Jurgen Vries Ft CMC – The Opera Song (Brave New World)
11 Sylver – Livin My Life
12 Kira – I´ll Be Your Angel
13 Moony – Acrobats (Looking For Balance)
14 Tomcraft – Loneliness
15 Fab Four Ft Robert Owens – Last Night The DJ Blew My Mind (D-Bop Mix)
16 Junior Senior – Move Your Feet
17 Queen & Vanguard – Flash
18 Room 5 Ft Oliver Cheatham – Make Luv
19 Moloko – Familiar Feeling
20 The Roc Project Ft Tina Arena – Never (Past Tense)

That's where I first ever saw Girls Aloud on my television when I was a teen back in Portugal obsessed with MTV Europe.
wub.gif

They've entered that chart on April 5 2003 so that's when I'll celebrate 10 years of Aloudsound.

This post has been edited by Vülker: 25th March 2013, 09:13 PM

+Quote this post
stuartaloud
post 26th March 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 10,256

Best momroies were the 28/5/06, 16/5/07, 7/5/08, 30/5/09, 10/3/13. These were dates I went to see then live.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 9th August 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Just discovered this forum laugh.gif
I was a GA fan from a young age, probably about 7/8 years old?

Anyway, random memories that stick out:
- Playing this 2003 karaoke game in 2004 (tongue.gif) with my best friend at the time and falling in love with No Good Advice which was on there
- Wanting to enter Stars in their eyes kids with my friends when we were in year 4 as Girls Aloud, haha!
-Seeing the girls aloud greatest hits album advertised on tv and going mental laugh.gif
-Playing the online games on their site years ago like the Wake Me Up bike one!
-Wanting to go to McDonalds just to get the GA music player that played Biology laugh.gif
-Having to perform a presentation about our favourite song at the time in year 7 and mine was Call the Shots at the time.

This post has been edited by Jade: 9th August 2013, 12:07 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:46 AM