BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Witness is Katy's 2nd best album!, DISCUSS~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 11th August 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Easily her most divisive album - you either love it or hate it (unlike Smile where you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that loves it kink.gif) but I firmly believe it is Katy's second best album! Nothing can top Teenage Dream but this is a (albeit distant) second place. Do you agree?

We can ignore Save as Draft and Into Me You See (tearsmile.gif) and everything else is pretty good-to-great! Highlights are the incredible career-best Roulette and totally underrated Bigger Than Me!

Witness is Katy's 2nd best album, DISCUSS~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th August 2022, 11:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I wanna re-listen to this as it's been a while. But I've always thought the hate for this album was a bit extreme tbh.

I like SAD tho 👀

But Into Me You See really is shit.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th August 2022, 08:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Into Me You See and SAD are dire.

With correct singles, and a better stylist and publicist, this era could have bren a hit. Whilst a far-cry from Prism or Teenage Dream, it's not bad!

1. Roulette - an absolute HIGHLIGHT of her discography. Release this first!! The fact they releaaed a watered-down Sia song first, and not this, shows she or the team lacked confidence in her.

2. Tsunami - such a smooth track for summer. Go with this!

3. Bon Appetite - for Halloween.

4. Witness - for Christmas/ New Year.

5 Chained to the Rhythm - for spring/ early summer

6 Swish Swish - to finish it all off

Power is a good track too. Hey Hey Hey is not.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th August 2022, 12:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I don't mind it and I appreciate Katy trying to do something different but I don't go back to much at all, it's clunky at times and just doesn't fully work as a package.

Smile on the other hand gets a hard time that it wouldn't get had it been Teenage Dream's follow-up ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th August 2022, 04:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Smile isn't good at all laugh.gif Harleys and Never (Really Over) (I Guess...) are the only two singles on it, excepting Not The End of the World for Halloween/ Pandemic.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 19th August 2022, 08:49 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

this album is generally dreadful and lacking hooks... chained to the rhythm was diabolical and the only songs i 've left with are 'Miss U More' and 'Bon Appetit'.

i don't really remember the rest.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th August 2022, 09:29 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Heywood Jablowme @ Aug 14 2022, 05:26 PM) *
Smile isn't good at all laugh.gif Harleys and Never (Really Over) (I Guess...) are the only two singles on it, excepting Not The End of the World for Halloween/ Pandemic.

Smile has plenty of single options on it, it's just they made a complete hash of the campaign by not choosing any of them!

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 19th August 2022, 11:23 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Aug 19 2022, 09:29 AM) *
Smile has plenty of single options on it, it's just they made a complete hash of the campaign by not choosing any of them!

Was there ever any explanation for choosing 'Small Talk' over 'Harley's in Hawaii' when the video for the latter was shot beforehand? I'll never understand that.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 19th August 2022, 09:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Smile is my second favourite album of hers. It's a great pop album with a lot of single choices. "Small Talk" completely killed the campaign after "Never Really Over" had become a nice sized hit/built some momentum. Had they followed it with "Harleys in Hawaii" the album campaign would've likely done a lot better.

In terms of Witness, I would say it's only above her debut in terms of where it sits with me. Another mismanaged album campaign with good potential. "Witness" and "Roulette" would've made much better single choices than "Bon Apetit" and "Swish Swish". "Chained To The Rhythm" started off the campaign well. I would've went:

1. "Chained To The Rhythm"
2. "Roulette" (massive hit tbh)
3. "Witness"
4. "Bon Apetit"
5. "Swish Swish"

With the rise of tiktok and its influence, I hope "Roulette" gets its time to shine just like "Harleys In Hawaii". Despite the latter not performing that well in the charts, the video is likely to pass 100 million views this year and it's consistently one of her highest streamed songs on spotify. It's currently at 265 miillion streams and will likely be closer to 300 million by the end of the year.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 22nd August 2022, 09:32 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

i think the reason for Small Talk came down to metrics... NRO pulled a certain type of radio listener and her team wanted to try and grab them with ST but it didn't sit.

Saying that Small Talk was by no means a bad single

+Quote this post
post 22nd August 2022, 09:46 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Have to agree with those saying Smile has more single options and would have been a better follow-up album to when she used to get support. Witness has some great moment (Bigger Than Me is indeed very underrated) but I'd say it was one of her less good albums.

Harleys, Cry About it Later, Tucked, Never Really Over, Only Love, Teary Eyes, Champagne Problems (Shame about the crust lyric) are all great!

This post has been edited by 365: 22nd August 2022, 09:49 AM

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 3rd September 2022, 01:49 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

It’s not my 2nd favourite. Chained to the rhythm is a great song and there are some other good tracks but sadly not up there with album 2 or 3.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd September 2022, 05:34 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Smile is utter trash!!!!

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 19th September 2022, 04:00 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Just reading about the train wreck of "Witness World Wide" after a few years, good times laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 3rd October 2022, 05:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
User: 13,007

Smile is so weak, especially when compared to what she is capable of. It's not even that it's quite tame or "background music", it is actually annoying at times. Songs like Daisies, Smile, Resilient and lyrics that feature in others majorly grate on me now. Only Love is the big highlight from the album and isn't it the least streamed on it? Madness.

Comparatively, Witness has superb production and while the lyrics are a tad tired too, it tries to experiment and offer something different. It's also a great listen from start to end and feels like a complete album!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd October 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Witness for me is a complete jarring mess and only has 'Roulette' aside from the singles which I can bear to sit through.

Smile at least has Cry About It Later, Only Love, Tucked, Champagne Problems and Not the End of the World (why weren't any of these released?)

Then again, I think Katy Perry is the one artist I don't really want to see trying her hand at innovation and I just need straightforward pop bangers from her.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:02 PM