BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OSCARS 2018, 20 Oscars Visual Effects Contenders Announced.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 18th May 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #41
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Some more stills from potential Oscar nominees next year!

Donald Sutherland & Helen Mirren in The Leisure Seeker:

Hugh Jackman, Zendaya & Zac Efron in The Greatest Showman:

Also, Wonderstruck is getting quite mixed reviews coming out of Cannes Film Festival. Some are saying it's gorgeous but others are saying it's a bit weak :/ Apparently Julianne Moore's role is not very large either :'(
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th May 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #42
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
The Greatest Showman looks FAB. So hyped for that!

+Quote this post
Khappa MJ
post 21st May 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #43
Group icon
New Entry
User: 24,774
Im waiting for Blade Runner ... absolutely

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st May 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #44
Group icon
c:
It's still a bit unknown how good Netflix are at scoring Oscar noms (they failed with Beasts of No Nation) but The Meyerowitz Stories from Noah Baumbach (Oscar nominee for The Squid & the Whale) is getting good reviews from Cannes too. A lot of the reviews seem to be picking out Adam Sandler as a highlight so he could potentially be an outsider come awards season ohmy.gif The cast also includes Dustin Hoffman, Ben Stiller & Emma Thompson!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st May 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #45
Group icon
c:
More distribution news - 'Kings' has been picked up by The Orchard so probably won't be getting any Oscar nominations (they pretty unsuccessfully pushed 'Christine' last year with Rebecca Hall). It's from the Oscar nominated director of Turkish/French film 'Mustang' from 2015 and I'd seen Halle Berry in a few Best Actress predictions but I guess that's quite unlikely if they couldn't push Rebecca Hell to any major nominations!

Also, added The Leisure Seeker & The Meyerowitz Stories to the opening post!

Supporting Actress seems so unpredictable this year so far ! Julianne Moore in Wonderstruck is apparently a very small role, we don't know much about Mother yet or Michelle Pfieffer's role in it, Mudbound is being distributed by Netflix so Mary J. Blige may be a risky bet even if she has great reviews, Michelle Williams/Kristin Scott Thomas seem like they might be coat-tail nominations, Melissa Leo seems to be getting amazing reviews but her film is unlikely to get any more nominations and she doesn't seem like the most obvious choice to get two Oscars already, Millicent Simmonds in Wonderstruck is very young (only 14!). Really could be anyone this year, hard to pick a front-runner! drama.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd May 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #46
Group icon
c:
These are my post-Cannes nomination predictions (I know it's not over yet but I don't think The Beguiled or You Were Never Really Here are going to get any nominations really. We've heard from all the films with a better chance like Wonderstruck, Sacred Deer, Meyerowitz Stories, Happy End etc. now)!

Excited for some more trailers to drop as I'm not sure that the likes of Woodshock, Battle of the Sexes or The Glass Castle are going to be big contenders really. I'm not so sure on Detroit either but I've put it in for a couple noms off the strength of Kathryn Bigelow's past work.

I feel like Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri will get in somewhere but no idea where to put it? Maybe lead actress but that seems stacked! Or original screenplay a la The Lobster/20th Century Women from last year.

BEST PICTURE
1 The Post *WINNER*
2 Darkest Hour
3 Call Me By Your Name
4 Wonderstruck
5 Downsizing
6 Mother!
7 Detroit
8 Inner City
9 Lean On Pete
10 Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Film

BEST ACTOR
1 Gary Oldman "Darkest Hour " *WINNER*
2 Hugh Jackman "The Greatest Showman"
3 Daniel Day Lewis "TBA"
4 Tom Hanks "The Post"
5 Bryan Cranston "Last Flag Flying"

BEST ACTRESS
1 Judi Dench "Victoria & Abdul" *WINNER*
2 Meryl Streep "The Post"
3 Kate Winslet "Wonder Wheel"
4 Jennifer Lawrence "Mother!"
5 Claire Foy "Breathe" / Daniela Vega "Una Mujer Fantástica"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1 Steve Buscemi "Lean On Pete" *WINNER*
2 Michael Stuhlbarg "Call Me By Your Name"
3 Armie Hammer "Call Me By Your Name"
4 Colin Farrell "Inner City"
5 Ed Harris "Mother!"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1 Michelle Pfeiffer "Mother!" *WINNER*
2 Michelle Williams "The Greatest Showman"
3 Melissa Leo "Novitiate"
4 Kristin Scott Thomas "Darkest Hour"
5 Nicole Kidman "The Killing of a Sacred Deer"

BEST DIRECTOR
1 Todd Haynes "Wonderstruck" *WINNER*
2 Joe Wright "Darkest Hour"
3 Steven Spielberg "The Post"
4 Luca Guadagnino "Call Me By Your Name"
5 Darren Aronofsky "Mother!"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1 Darkest Hour *WINNER*
2 The Post
3 Downsizing
4 Mother!
5 The Killing of a Sacred Deer

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1 Call Me By Your Name *WINNER*
2 Lean On Pete
3 Last Flag Flying
4 Wonderstruck
5 Mudbound

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
1 Coco *WINNER*
2 The Breadwinner
3 The Lego Batman Movie
4 My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea
5 Cars 3

BEST SCORE
1 Carter Burwell "Wonderstruck" *WINNER*
2 Hans Zimmer "Dunkirk"
3 Johan Johansson "Blade Runner 2049"
4 John Debney, Pasek & Paul "The Greatest Showman"
5 Dario Marianelli "Darkest Hour"

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
1 Roger Deakins "Blade Runner 2049" *WINNER*
2 Edward Lachmann "Wonderstruck"
3 Hoyte Van Hoytema "Dunkirk"
4 Seamus McGarvey "The Greatest Showman"
5 Bruno Delbonnel "Darkest Hour"

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
1 Blade Runner 2049 *WINNER*
2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
3 War for the Planet of the Apes
4 Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2
5 Dunkirk

BEST EDITING
1 Dunkirk *WINNER*
2 Darkest Hour
3 The Post
4 Detroit
5 Blade Runner 2049

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
1 Dunkirk *WINNER*
2 Blade Runner 2049
3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
4 The Greatest Showman
5 Wonderstruck

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
1 Beauty and the Beast *WINNER*
2 The Greatest Showman
3 Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Film
4 Murder on the Orient Express
5 Darkest Hour

BEST MAKEUP/HAIRSTYLING
1 Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2 *WINNER*
2 Darkest Hour
3 The Greatest Showman

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 27th May 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #47
Group icon
c:
A24 have picked up 'The Florida Project' which looks like it could be pushed this year and is getting fantastic reviews. Willem Dafoe seems to be getting the most mentions with career best rave reviews.

A24's schedule looks so stacked this year (Lean On Pete, Woodshock, The Disaster Artist, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Under the Silver Lake and now this!), will be interesting to see which movies they give the biggest awards push. I imagine either Lean On Pete or this will probably get the late October slot that A24 have utilised for Room and Moonlight in the past.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 6th June 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #48
Group icon
c:
Alison Brie, Carrie Coon, David Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg, Bradley Whitford, and Zach Woods announced as the supporting cast for Spielberg's "The Post" starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.

First poster for "Goodbye Christopher Robin"

+Quote this post
KatMus
post 7th June 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #49
Group icon
New Entry
User: 32,923
Logan is good.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 17th June 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #50
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
That cast for The Post *.*

Also recent release date news (US);
Goodbye Christopher Robin moved to Mid October from November, Three Billboards... goes the other way
The Mountain Between Us moves to early October, really can't see this being an Oscar contender anymore!

And I will be doing my latest Oscar predictions now as well!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 17th June 2017, 01:10 AM
Post #51
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Also Wonder Wheel is December scheduled now isn't it?

Picture Nominations:
1. The Greatest Showman
2. Dunkirk
3. The Post
4. Call Me By Your Name
5. Mother!
6. Detroit
7. Downsizing
8. Darkest Hour
9. The Beguiled
10. Mudbound

Below the line:
(11. Phantom Thread, 12. Surburbicon, 13. Battle of the Sexes, 14. Blade Runner 2049, 15. Thank You For Your Service
16. Goodbye Christopher Robin, 17. Molly's Game, 18. Three Billboards... , 19. Star Wars: The Last Jedi, 20. Wonderstruck
21. Wonder, 22. Wonder Wheel, 23. Marshall, 24. The Glass Castle, 25. The Shape Of Water, 26. Victoria & Abdul, 27. Get Out, 28. The Current War, 29. Murder On The Orient Express, 30. The Snowman)

DIRECTOR: - I'll stick with the top 5 for now, haven't changed predictions here!
1. Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan
2. The Post - Steven Spielberg
3. Detroit - Kathryn Bigelow
4. Downsizing - Alexander Payne
5. Call Me By Your Name - Luca Guadagnino
Below the line:
(6. Mother!, 7. Mudbound, 8. Darkest Hour, 9. Untitled PTA Project, 10. Wonderstruck
11. Blade Runner 2049, 12. Battle of the Sexes, 13. Surburbicon, 14. Thank You For Your Service, 15. Molly's Game
16. Get Out, 17. The Beguiled, 18. Murder on The Orient Express, 19. The Greatest Showman, 20. Three Billboards..
21. Marshall, 22. The Glass Castle, 23. The Shape of Water, 24. Goodbye Christopher Robin, 25. Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

ACTOR:
1. Hugh Jackman - The Greatest Showman
2. Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
3. Daniel Day-Lewis - Untitled PTA
4. Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name
5. Armie Hammer - Call Me By Your Name

Below the line:
6. Tom Hanks (The Post), 7. John Boyega (Detroit) *supporting?, 8. Domnhall Gleeson (Goodbye Christopher Robin), 9. Joaquin Phoenix (You Were Never Really Here), 10. Chadwick Boseman (Marshall)
11. Miles Teller (Thank You For Your Service), 12. Matt Damon (Downsizing), 13. Matt Damon (Surburbicon), 14. James Franco (The Disaster Artist), 15. Michael Fassbender (The Snowman),
16. Andrew Garfield (Under The Silver Lake), 17. Andrew Garfield (Breathe), 18. Cillian Murphy (Dunkirk), 19. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Current War), 20. Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)
21. Jacob Tremblay (Wonder, 22. Colin Farrell (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), 23. Ali Fazal (Victoria & Abdul), 24. Ryan Gosling (Blade Runner), 25. James McAvoy (Split)

OUT: 23. Denzel Washington (Inner City) [b]don't feel like this will make this year, 25. Idris Elba (The Mountain Betweens Us) feel like this will end up nowhere
, 25. Javier Bardem (Mother!) idk just can't see it happening

ACTRESS:
1. Jennifer Lawrence - Mother!
2. Jessica Chastain - Molly's Game
3. Meryl Streep - The Post
4. Saoirse Ronan - On Chesil Beach
5. Judi Dench - Victoria & Abdul

Below the line:
6. Emma Stone (Battle of the Sexes), 7. Nicole Kidman (The Beguiled), 8. Frances McDormand (Three Billboards), 9. Kate Winslet (Wonder Wheel) December release?, 10. Carey Mulligan (Mudbound)
11. Rooney Mara (Mary Magdalene), 12. Brie Larson (The Glass Castle), 13. Kirsten Dunst (Woodshock), 14. Isabelle Huppert (Happy End), 15. Michelle Pfeiffer (Where Is Kyra)
16. Julianne Moore (Suburbicon) supporting?, 17. Elle Fanning (Mary Shelley), 18. Claire Foy (Breathe), 19. Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird), 20. Sally Hawkins (Maudie)
21. Riley Keough (Under The Silver Lake), 22. Daniela Vega (A Fantastic Woman), 23. Rachel Weisz (My Cousin Rachel), 24. Kate Winslet (The Mountain Between Us), 25. Sally Hawkins (The Shape Of Water)

OUT: 17. Mackenzie Davis (Tully)/21. Jennifer Lawrence (Red Sparrow) [b]2018 release, 24. Eva Green (Based On A True Story) the film got bad reviews at Cannes iirc?

SUP. ACTOR - no changes here at all apart from a straight swap with Wilson/Hurt
1. Zac Efron - The Greatest Showman
2. Michael Shannon - The Current War
3. Owen Wilson (Wonder)
4. Sterling K. Brown - Marshall
5. Jason Mitchell - Mudbound

Below the line:
6. Woody Harrelson (The Glass Castle), 7. Garrett Hedlund (Mudbound), 8. Ed Harris (Mother!), 9. Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards), 10. Michael Stuhlbarg (Call Me By Your Name)
11. Idris Elba (Molly's Game), 12. Bruce Dern (Chappaquiddik), 13. Joaquin Phoenix (Mary Magdalene), 14. Richard Graham (PTA Project), 15. Tom Hardy (Dunkirk)
16. Jean-Louis Tringnant (Happy End), 17. Chiwetel Ejiofor (Mary Magdalene), 18. Harrison Ford (Blade Runner 2049), 19. Max Greenfield (The Glass Castle), 20. Josh Gad (Marshall)
21. Will Poulter (Detroit), 22. Jack Reynor (Detroit), 23. Topher Grace (Under The Silver Lake), 24. Douglas Booth (Mary Shelley), 25. Josh Brolin (Suburbicon)

OUT: 5. John Hurt - Darkest Hour - not in the film

SUP. ACTRESS:
1. Margot Robbie - Goodbye Christopher Robin
2. Julia Roberts (Wonder)
3. Michelle Williams - The Greatest Showman
4. Michelle Pfeiffer - Mother!
5. Mary J. Blige - Mudbound

Below the line:
6. Kirsten Dunst (The Beguiled), 7. Carrie Fisher - Star Wars: The Last Jedi, 8. Kristen Wiig (Downsizing), 9. Kristin Scott Thomas (Darkest Hour), 10. Julianne Moore (Wonderstruck)
11. Nicole Kidman (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), 12. Elle Fanning (The Beguiled), 13. Haley Bennet (Thank You For Your Service), 14. Julianne Moore (Suburbicon), 15. Andrea Riseborough (Battle of the Sexes)
16. Naomi Watts (The Glass Castle), 17. Annette Bening (The Seagull), 18. Rebecca Ferguson (The Snowman), 19. Rebecca Ferguson (The Greatest Showman), 20. Lily James (Darkest Hour)
21. Penelope Cruz (Murder on the Orient Express), 22. Amy Schumer (Thank You For Your Service), [b]23. Tilda Swinton (Okja) 24. Kate Mara (Chappaquiddik), 25. Kristen Stewart (Lizzie), 26. Hannah Murray (Detroit), 27. Hong Chau (Downsizing), 28. Zendaya (The Greatest Showman)

OUT: 15. Nicole Kidman (How To Talk To Girls At Parties) [b]can't see it happening/ 17. Alicia Silverstone (The Killing of a Sacred Deer) her role is basically a cameo I think

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd June 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #52
Group icon
c:
Inner City has been renamed "Roman Isreal, Esq". Bit of an odd film title but still excited to see it, Denzel will probably be a big contender but I'm more excited to see Colin Farrell as the antagonist, hoping he finally gets Oscars attention !!

Also, we got this official image from "The Death and Life of John F. Donovan" which could turn out to be an awards contender. Also stars Natalie Portman, Susan Sarandon and Kathy Bates.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 29th June 2017, 09:14 AM
Post #53
Group icon
c:
New predictions (in order, this time!) now that we have a few more trailers and bits of news.

BEST PICTURE
1 The Post/The Papers
2 Call Me By Your Name
3 Darkest Hour
4 The Florida Project
5 Wonderstruck
-----
6 Roman Israel, Esq
7 Detroit
8 Last Flag Flying
9 Mother!
10 Get Out

IN -
The Florida Project (seems to be getting great reviews and A24 have to proven to be good at the Oscars with Room & Moonlight)
Last Flag Flying (Linklater is popular with the Oscars and the stills look promising)
Get Out (the hype still seems to be hanging around for this and it could be one of those rare moments when an early release gets lots of nominations)

OUT -
Downsizing (seems to be having trouble getting a final edit and screen reports don't seem all that positive)
Lean On Pete (probably a smaller contender than I first imagine, perhaps just one or teo nominations for the film)
Phantom Thread (seems like it's going to be very dark and The Master wasn't exactly a big awards magnet outside of acting)

BEST ACTOR
1 Gary Oldman "The Darkest Hour"
2 Denzel Washington "Roman Israel, Esq"
3 Daniel Day-Lewis "Phantom Thread"
4 Tom Hanks "The Post/Papers"
5 Bryan Cranston "Last Flag Flying"

IN -
Denzel Washington "Roman Israel, Esq" (seems like a showy role and he probably came second last year so hard to rule him out)

OUT -
Hugh Jackman "The Greatest Showman" (screenings reports aren't exactly favourable and the trailer seems a bit campy)

BEST ACTRESS
1 Meryl Streep "The Papers"
2 Judi Dench "Victoria & Abdul"
3 Kate Winslet "Wonder Wheel"
4 Jennifer Lawrence "Mother!"
5 Daniela Vega "A Fantastic Woman"

IN -
Daniela Vega (the reviews are fantastic for her and being the first transgender acting nominee could be a big moment). Tempted to put in Frances McDormand here too as her role seems pretty exciting.

OUT -
Claire Foy "Breathe" (moved to supporting)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1 Willem Dafoe "The Florida Project"
2 Michael Stuhlbarg "Call Me By Your Name"
3 Colin Farrell "Roman Israel, Esq"
4 Steve Buscemi "Lean On Pete"
5 Laurence Fishburne "Last Flag Flying"

IN -
Laurence Fishburne (think this could be a bit of a coat-tail nomination but could happen)
Willem Dafoe (rave reviews and seems like the appropriate time to give him a win on his third nomination)

OUT -
Armie Hammer "Call Me By Your Name" (I don't think two supporting nominees are gonna happen for one movie and Stuhlbarg has the big monologue scene)
Ed Harris "Mother!" (We just know so little about the movie that the other contenders seem more like now, I'd easily put him back in once we get a bit more news though).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1 Claire Foy "Breathe"
2 Melissa Leo "Novitiate"
3 Michelle Pfeiffer "Mother!"
4 Millicent Simmonds "Wonderstruck"
5 Holly Hunter "The Big Sick"

IN -
Holly Hunter (seems to getting really good reviews for her performance and I could see her squeezing in)
Millicent Simmonds (Wonderstruck will surely get one acting nomination and it might be her, this category is quite kind to child actresses)
Claire Foy (she looks really good in the trailer but more of a co-lead. Surely the studio will fraud her into here a la Vikander/Mara/Davis as this category is soo much weaker than lead. She could even win but then it would three supportive wife roles winning in a row in this category so maybe not).

OUT -
Michelle Williams "The Greatest Showman" (the film is not getting good screening reports and she didnmt have much to do in the trailer apart from smile)
Kristin Scott Thomas "Darkest Hour" (apparently her role is really small and she has no showy 'Oscars moment' scene)
Nicole Kidman "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" (probably a bit too dark to make it, she probably has a better chance for The Beguiled but the summer release may harm her chances there)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1 The Papers
2 Darkest Hour
3 The Florida Project
4 Roman Israel, Esq
5 Get Out

IN -
The Florida Project (could be a big awards contender so seems like a no brainer here)
Roman Israel (Gilroy is a previous Oscar nominee for Nightcrawler and this looks like it could be his second)
Get Out (the hype isn't fading and it seems like a very probable nominee here even if it doesn't make the Best Picture line up)

OUT -
Downsizing
Mother
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1 Call Me By Your Name
2 Last Flag Flying
3 Lean On Pete
4 Wonderstruck
5 The Death of Stalin

IN -
The Death of Stalin (don't know much about it but this category seems very weak- I know that a screenplay isn't all about dialogue but having Wonderstruck in 4th despite being largely silent tells a lot about the contenders in this category laugh.gif)

OUT -
Mudbound (Netflix seem to be becoming less popular with old Hollywood and I think any film being distributed by them is going to really struggle to get any nominations...)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th July 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #54
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Really interested to see if any of the big films from the first half of the year will hold up till the end (Get Out/Logan/Wonder Woman/Baby Driver/Big Sick/Beguiled)

Well anyway here goes everything laugh.gif

Picture Nominations:
1. Get Out
2. The Papers
3. Mother!
4. Call Me By Your Name
5. Dunkirk
6. Darkest Hour
7. Blade Runner 2049
8. Detroit
9. Suburbicon

10. Mudbound
11. Downsizing, 12. The Greatest Showman
13. Phantom Thread, 14. Thank You For Your Service
15. Battle Of The Sexes, 16. Molly's Game
17. Wonder Woman, 18. Wonder
19. Three Billboards.... , 20. Wonderstruck
21. Star Wars: The Last Jedi, 22. Goodbye Christopher Robin
23. Breathe, 24. Wonder Wheel
25. The Florida Project, 26. Last Flag Flying
27. The Big Sick, 28. The Shape Of Water
29. The Snowman, 30. The Glass Castle
31. Victoria & Abdul, 32. The Current War
33. Murder On The Orient Express, 34. Stronger
35. Baby Driver, 36. Mary Magdalene
37. Woodshock, 38. Logan
39. The Disaster Artist, 40. The Beguiled

OUT: Marshall

DIRECTOR:
1. Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan
2. The Post - Steven Spielberg
3. Detroit - Kathryn Bigelow
4. Mother! - Darren Aronofsky
5. Get Out - Jordan Peele

6. Call Me By Your Name, 7. Downsizing, 8. Darkest Hour, 9. Untitled PTA Project, 10. Wonderstruck
11. Blade Runner 2049, 12. Mudbound, 13. Surburbicon, 14. Battle Of The Sexes, 15. Thank You For Your Service
16. Molly's Game, 17. The Beguiled, 18. Murder on The Orient Express, 19. The Greatest Showman, 20. Three Billboards..
21. Wonder Woman, 22. The Glass Castle, 23. The Shape of Water, 24. Goodbye Christopher Robin, 25. Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

ACTOR:
1. Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread
2. Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
3. Timothee Chalament (Call Me By Your Name)
4. Armie Hammer (Call Me By Your Name)
5. Hugh Jackman (The Greatest Showman)

6. Tom Hanks (The Papers), 7. Andrew Garfield (Breathe), 8. John Boyega (Detroit)
9. Joaquin Phoenix (You Were Never Really Here), 10. Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)
11. Miles Teller (Thank You For Your Service), 12. Matt Damon (Downsizing)
13. Domnhall Gleeson (Goodbye Christopher Robin), 14. Denzel Washington (Roman Israel, Esq),
15. Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out), 16. Matt Damon (Suburbicon)
17. Michael Fassbender (The Snowman), 18. James Franco (The Disaster Artist)
19. Ryan Gosling (Blade Runner), 20. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Current War)
21. Hugh Jackman (Logan), 22. Jake Gyllenhaal (Stronger)
23. Colin Farrell (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), 24. Chadwick Boseman (Marshall)
25, Jacob Tremblay (Wonder), 26. Liam Neeson (Mark Felt)
27. Javier Bardem (mother!), 28. Andrew Garfield (Under The Silver Lake)
29. James McAvoy (Split), 30. Bryan Cranston (Last Flag Flying)
31. Idris Elba (The Mountain Between Us), 32. Ali Fazal (Victoria & Abdul)
33. Donald Sutherland (The Leisure Seeker), 34. Jeremy Renner (Wind River)
35. Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver), 36. Robert Redford (Our Souls At Night)
37. Robert Pattinson (Good Time), 38. Oakes Fegley (Wonderstruck)
39. Fionn Whitehead (Dunkirk), 40. Cillian Murphy (Dunkirk) is he lead?

ACTRESS:
1. Jennifer Lawrence - Mother!
2. Jessica Chastain - Molly's Game
3. Meryl Streep - The Post
4. Judi Dench - Victoria & Abdul
5. Emma Stone - Battle Of The Sexes

6. Kate Winslet (Wonder Wheel), 7. Saoirse Ronan (On Chesil Beach), 8. Frances McDormand (Three Billboards)
9. Kirsten Dunst (Woodshock), 10. Claire Foy (Breathe),
11. Rooney Mara (Mary Magdalene), 12. Carey Mulligan (Mudbound) supporting?
13. Daniela Vega (A Fantastic Woman), 14. Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)
15. Brie Larson (The Glass Castle), 16. Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
17. Isabelle Huppert (Happy End), 18. Diane Kruger (In The Fade),
19. Michelle Pfeiffer (Where Is Kyra), 20. Elle Fanning (Mary Shelley),
21. Sally Hawkins (The Shape Of Water), 22. Elisabeth Moss (The Square)
23. Julianne Moore (Suburbicon) supporting?, 24. Nicole Kidman (The Beguiled) supporting?
25. Sally Hawkins (Maudie), 26. Riley Keough (Under The Silver Lake)
27. Kate Winslet (The Mountain Between Us), 28. Rachel Weisz (My Cousin Rachel)
29. Millicent Simmonds (Wonderstruck), 30. Helen Mirren (The Leisure Seeker)
31. Annette Bening (Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool), 32. Melissa Leo (Novitiate) supporting?
33. Debra Winger (The Lovers), 34. Daisy Ridley (The Last Jedi)
35. Jane Fonda (Our Souls At Night), 36. Alicia Vikander (Submergence)
37. Charlize Theron (Atomic Blonde), 38. Cynthia Nixon (A Quiet Passion)
39. Halle Berry (Kings), 40. Elle Fanning (The Beguiled)

SUP. ACTOR
1. Michael Shannon (The Current War)
2. Steve Carrell (Battle Of The Sexes)
3. Idris Elba (Molly's Game)
4. Armie Hammer (Call Me By Your Name) oops at predicting him in both lead & supporting atm
5. Michael Stuhlbarg (Call Me By Your Name)

6. Ed Harris (mother!), 7. Jason Mitchell (Mudbound), 8. Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards)
9. Garrett Hedlund (Mudbound), 10. Zac Efron (The Greatest Showman)
11. Woody Harrelson (The Glass Castle), 12. Owen Wilson (Wonder)
13. Bob Odenkirk (The Papers), 14. Jack Reynor (Detroit)
15. Mark Rylance (Dunkirk), 16. Bruce Dern (Chappaquiddik)
17. Sterling K Brown (Marshall), 18. Richard Graham (Phantom THread)
19. Harrison Ford (Blade Runner 2049), 20. Will Poulter (Detroit)
21. Oscar Isaac (Suburbicon), 22. Jean-Louis Tringnant (Happy End)
23. Joaquin Phoenix (Mary Magdalene), 24. Chiwetel Ejiofor (Mary Magdalene)
25. Josh Brolin (Suburbicon), 26. James Franco (The Disaster Artist) lead?
27. Patrick Stewart (Logan), 28. Tom Hardy (Dunkirk)
29. Steve Carrel (Last Flag Flying), 30. Ronald Pickup (Darkest Hour)
31. Adam Sandler (The Meyerowitz Stories), 32. Ray Romano (The Big Sick)
33. Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards), 34. Lucas Hedegs (Lady Bird)
35. Chris Pine (Wonder Woman), 36. Justin Timberlake (Wonder Wheel)
37. Topher Grace (Under The Silver Lake), 38. Max Greenfield (The Glass Castle)
39. Douglas Booth (Mary Shelley), 40. Josh Gad (Marshall)

SUP. ACTRESS:
1. Margot Robbie (Goodbye Christopher Robin)
2. Michelle Pfeiffer (mother!)
3. Kirsten Dunst (The Beguiled)
4. Michelle Williams (The Greatest Showman)
5. Holly Hunter (The Big Sick)

6. Melissa Leo (Novitiate), 7. Julia Roberts (Wonder), 8. Mary J. Blige (Mudbound)
9. Carrie Fisher (The Last Jedi), 10. Julianne Moore (Wonderstruck)
11. Nicole Kidman (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), 12. Haley Bennett (Thank You For Your Service)
13. Hong Chau (Downsizing), 14. Kristin Scott Thomas (Darkest Hour)
15. Catherine Keener (Get Out), 16. Julianne Moore (Suburbicon)
17. Andrea Riseborough (Battle Of The Sexes), 18. Lily James (darkest Hour)
19. Annette Benning (The Seagull), 20. Rebecca Ferguson (The Snowman)
21. Alison Williams (Get Out), 22. Tatiana Maslany (Stronger)
23. Kristen Wiig (Downsizing), 24. Tilda Swinton (Okja)
25. Hannah Murray (Detroit), 26. Rebecca Ferguson (The Greatest Showman)
27. Penelope Cruz (Murder On The Orient Express), 28. Octavia Spencer (The Shape Of Water)
29. Naomi Watts (The Glass Castle), 30. Kelly Macdonald (Goodbye Christopher Robin)
31. Katherine Waterston (The Current War), 32. Julianne Nicholson (Novitiate)
33. Zendaya (The Greatest Showman), 34. Juno Temple (Wonder Wheel)
35. Amy Schumer (Thank You For Your Service), 36. Kristen Stewart (Lizzie)
37. Kate Mara (Chappaquiddik), 38. Daisy Ridley (Murder At The Orient Express)
39. Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird), 40. Lily James (Baby Driver) / Elle Fanning (The Beguiled)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd July 2017, 12:44 AM
Post #55
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Venice Film Festival lineup is being revealed next week!

Suburbicon, The Shape Of Water, Victoria & Abdul and Ella & John (I'm presuming this is The Leisure Seekers?) are expected to premiere there and Downsizing is confirmed as the opening night film!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 27th July 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #56
Group icon
c:
Sony Pictures Classics have picked up "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool". They're really good at campaigning veteran actresses (they got noms/wins for Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) and Isabelle Huppert (Elle) recently) so surely that puts Annette Bening right up there in contention for a nomination, especially after her snub last year. This doesn't look good for Daniela Vega though who was looking like being their #1 push - they also have The Leisure Seeker and Happy End so probably no push for Huppert and Mirren either now.

In other news, Sally Hawkins seems to be getting a bit of backlash for the Shape of Water. A lot of people who speak sign language are calling her out for her sign language not being understandable or very good at all. I was going to put her in my top five as a shock nomination actually but this negative media attention won't help.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 28th July 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #57
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
A few of the film festival line-ups have been revealed, it's nearly time for Oscar Season to properly kick off again *.* Seems like many of the big contenders are playing festivals this year so it'll be interesting to see how they are received & give us a clearer picture!

*Key Oscar Contenders are bolded, italics + bolded means it has already been at another festival (so Sundance & Cannes + Venice for the Toronto ones pretty much)

Venice Film Festival Line-Up:
In Competition:
Downsizing, dir: Alexander Payne (Opening Night Film)
Human Flow, dir: Ai Weiwei
Mother!, dir: Darren Aronofsky
Suburbicon, dir: George Clooney
The Shape Of Water, dir: Guillermo del Toro

L’Insulte, dir: Ziad Doueiri
La Villa, dir: Robert Guediguian
Lean On Pete, dir: Andrew Haigh
Mektoub, My Love: Canto Uno, dir: Abdellatif Kechiche
The Third Murder, dir: Hirokazu Kore-eda
*Jusqu’à La Garde, dir: Xavier Legrand
Foxtrot, dir: Samuel Maoz
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; dir: Martin McDonagh
Hannah, dir: Andrea Pallaoro
Ammore E Malavita, dir: Manetti Bros
Angels Wear White, dir: Vivian Qu
Una Famiglia, dir: Sebastiano Riso
First Reformed, dir: Paul Schrader
Sweet Country, dir: Warwick Thornton
The Leisure Seeker, dir: Paolo Virzi
Ex Libris – The New York Public Library, dir: Frederick Wiseman

Out of Competition:
OUT OF COMPETITION – FICTION
Our Souls At Night, dir: Ritesh Batra
Il Singor Rotpeter, dir: Antonietta De Lillo
Victoria & Abdul, dir: Stephen Frears
La Mélodie, dir: Rachid Hami
Outrage Coda, Takeshi Kitano (Closing Night Film)
Loving Pablo, dir: Fernando Leon De Aranoa
Zama, dir: Lucretia Martel
Wormwood, dir: Errol Morris
Diva!, dir: Francesco Patierno
La Fidèle, dir: Michael R Roskam
Il Colore Nascosto Delle Cose, dir: Silvio soldini
The Private Life Of A Modern Woman, dir: James Toback
Brawl In Cell Block 99, dir: S Craig Zahler

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 28th July 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #58
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Also Breathe has been announced as the opening film of the London Film Festival!

Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF):

*Key Oscar Contenders are bolded, italics + bolded means it has already been at another festival (so Sundance & Cannes + Venice for the Toronto ones pretty much)

Toronto Film Festival Line-Up:
Gala Presentation:
Breathe
C'est La Vie
Darkest Hour
Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool
Kings
Long Time Running
Mary Shelley
Mudbound
Stronger
The Catcher Was A Spy
The Mountain Between Us
The Wife
Untitled Bryan Cranston/Kevin Hart film - remake of The Intouchables
Woman Walks Ahead

Special Presentation:
A Fantastic Woman
A Season In France
Battle Of The Sexes
BPM (Beats Per Minute
Call Me By Your Name
Catch The Wind
Disobedience
Downsizing
First They Killed My Father
Hostiles
I, Tonya
Lady Bird

mother!
Novitiate
Omerta
Plonger
Professor Marston & the Wonder Woman
Sheikh Jackson
Submergence
Suburbicon
The Brawler
The Breadwinner
The Children's Act
The Current War
The Guardians
The Hungry
The Price of Success
The Rider
The Shape of Water
The Square

Thelma
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Victoria & Abdul

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd August 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #59
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Mary Magdalene has been pushed to early 2018 so that pretty much removes all chance it had of doing anything at the Oscars. (I didn't think it would anyway but still!)

+Quote this post
OzmafaRoxok
post 28th August 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #60
Group icon
New Entry
User: 37,806
Wife and I laughed at Chris Rocks opening. We thought it was funny. After that we went to bed, because the Oscars show itself doesnt interest us.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 05:11 PM