BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Living For Love' ● 1 year on..., lift me up~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 7th February 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

A year since the video for the lead single to Madonna's 13th studio album 'Rebel Heart' was released. 'Living For Love' was the spectacular 1st single off the album and while it leaked, was released as an instant grat and had one of the messiest release strategies ever, it became a huge talking point for her. With quirky retro throwbacks, a message of prosperity and hope and a highly stylised video, plus big TV performances, it didn't quite set the charts alight but became a tepid fleeting chart faller instead. It did find its way to club dancefloors, and while it didn't *sell* a lot, i'm sure it is one of her more well-known recent singles.

So now, a year later, after the dust has settled, what do you think about the single, the video, the performances? Was it the right single choice? Do you wish it had a different release strategy? Discuss the single retrospectively and as you find it now. In time, I may merge this with the original single thread to keep all of our thoughts together~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post 7th February 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

It still ranks up there as one fo the best Rebel Heart songs and one of her best songs in a long long while. I think it was the perfect first song, classic Madge but with
a different enough edge to it, it combined the best aspects of what she's been trying to do for years.
If not for all the leaks and a tighter release plan, I think it could easily have gone top 20 for her.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th February 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Still absolutely adore Living For Love, easily one of my favourite Madonna tracks for a long time wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
post 7th February 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I was thinking about this song the other day, and how it went.

Firstly, I am still pretty annoyed it didn't get supported by Radio 1. I know they claimed that it didn't fit with their audience, but I really disagree. The track was very now, with Diplo, MNEK and Alicia Keyes all on it. Radio 1's 'We've got Paul McCartney on the playlist' defence was utterly pathetic. They had not supported any of Paul's last albums, he was playing guitar on Rihanna and Kanye's tracks.

Secondly, I still feel...not good about the cape-fail. I really feel as though it took away all the desverved attention from the song itself. I didn't find it funny like so many did, I found it really uncomfortable, and it still makes me sad when I watch it back.

Basically, it deserved better. It was her best single since 4 Minutes (though personally I prefer it to that).

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th February 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #5
Group icon
User: 13,007

I agree with pretty much all of that Joe. The BRITs fiasco I don't think I can ever be comfortable with because it stirs up so many horrible thoughts for me sad.gif the song did deserve to do better, not because of quality or anything like that, but because of the f***ed up release strategy it received which prevented it from doing (slightly) better. I know it's basically impossible to be a Madonna fan and worry intensely about chart positions now, but even a top 20 peak would have been very welcomed.

I love the song, it fills me with so much joy and like Regina, it was the perfect lead single I think.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 8th February 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I love this track and all the promo for it.

If radio had supported it it would have achieved much better sales. If diplo had a featured singer and this was his track theg would have played it !!

I also like many of the remixes.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 11th February 2016, 01:23 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

I thought it would have done better to be honest but then again ghostown did nothing and that's the best song on the album.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 11th February 2016, 03:54 AM
Post #8
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

NEVER FORGET.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th February 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I still love it, it was a storming comeback single for her and deserved success/support. I think without that fall at the Brits, it may have even missed the top 40 though (not that risking permanently injuring yourself is worth a few thousand extra sales). It's strong, current and vibrant sounding. It always goes down a storm if I hear it in a club (obviously only ever a gay club though).

'Ghosttown' since eclipsed this as a single for me, but I still put it as my 14th favourite song of last year.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:52 AM