BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Donna Summer • AF Idol Spin-Off Discussion, turn on the radio and head over to Macarthur Park!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
George.keh
post 22nd February 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

She is the Queen of disco and one of the most influential women in music of all time- changing what pop and dance sounds like as we know it and having one of the greatest voices ever!

There are SO many gems in her back catalogue and I can’t wait to share some of my personal favourites!

Of course we have the big hitters, the Hot Stuffs, the Last Dances and of course the I Feel Loves but hopefully some less recognisable bangers will be able to be presented as well!

The first round is a free choice so we can definitely pick between one of her big hitters- some I’ve thought of are On The Radio, State of Independence, Bad Girls and Macarthur Park.

My personal number one pick would be the storming She Works Hard for the Money which has a slightly more nu-wave sound compared to some of her more classic pop and disco sounds. The song was a top 3 record on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1983 and was one of the first music videos by a black female to ever be played on MTV.

I’m of course open to other suggestions, there are a TON of killer songs we could use and it’s going to be tough picking between so many of them!!!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 22nd February 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

I know lots of people said they weren’t familiar with Donna so I might not get as much response from this topic but if you have any big obvious favourites you enjoy would love to hear!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd February 2021, 08:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007

I'm going to apologise in advance for not knowing much from Donna but I am so excited for more. 'I Feel Love' is a big inspiration for Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor album which is my ultimate #1 album. Goes without saying, that's a huge song for me and I can't wait to see it being represented at some point hopefully here.

If there are a few you are deciding between, I am happy to listen to them in advance and give my thoughts if they're posted in the thread happy.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 22nd February 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

sad.gif
QUOTE(Among Haus @ Feb 22 2021, 08:30 PM) *
I'm going to apologise in advance for not knowing much from Donna but I am so excited for more. 'I Feel Love' is a big inspiration for Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor album which is my ultimate #1 album. Goes without saying, that's a huge song for me and I can't wait to see it being represented at some point hopefully here.

If there are a few you are deciding between, I am happy to listen to them in advance and give my thoughts if they're posted in the thread happy.gif

Thank you heart.gif
I Feel Love is 100% one I’m going to save as I know it will absolutely slaughter any competition!

Yeah so my options for this round are On The Radio, Macarthur Park and my number 1 choice currently: She Works Hard for the Money

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd February 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
User: 13,007

I will listen to those and report back at some point before the deadline! Remind me if I forget as I can't do it just yet heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd February 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'She Works Hard for the Money' is my favourite of those options *.*

+Quote this post
Lunar
post 22nd February 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 73,703

Just had a listen to all of them and 'She Works Hard for the Money' is also my favourite out of those.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 22nd February 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

Another option for Donna is to use Hot Stuff- one of her most recognisable hits- in this round and She Works Hard For The Money in the next round as they were both the first singles from their respective eras so they are interchangeable

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 22nd February 2021, 10:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Hot Stuff wub.gif

I am rooting for Miss Summer to do well in this!!!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 22nd February 2021, 10:41 PM
Post #10
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

George I genuinely am gonna trust your judgement on this. What an INCREDIBLE choice of artist.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 22nd February 2021, 11:06 PM
Post #11
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

QUOTE(✖ bon lewlash ✖ @ Feb 22 2021, 10:41 PM) *
George I genuinely am gonna trust your judgement on this. What an INCREDIBLE choice of artist.

Thank you! I’d like to think my choices will be solid- for all the free choice rounds I have about 10-12 to pick from so whittling them down will be almost impossible but I think Donna could snatch a win if I play it right!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 22nd February 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #12
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

QUOTE(George.keh @ Feb 22 2021, 11:06 PM) *
Thank you! I’d like to think my choices will be solid- for all the free choice rounds I have about 10-12 to pick from so whittling them down will be almost impossible but I think Donna could snatch a win if I play it right!

I agree with you to be honest!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd February 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

YES! That's the attitude to have wub.gif

I really don't know her stuff at all, bar the obvious 'I Feel Love', 'Hot Stuff' & seemingly 'On The Radio' (I didn't know that was her for some reason!) OTR is my fave of them. But I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you choose.

I'm most intrigued by this artist coz I have a feeling I'm not going to know a lot by name, but once I listen to the playlist, she'll have some bops that I am aware of!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 23rd February 2021, 01:51 AM
Post #14
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(Tafty @ Feb 23 2021, 07:20 AM) *
YES! That's the attitude to have wub.gif

I really don't know her stuff at all, bar the obvious 'I Feel Love', 'Hot Stuff' & seemingly 'On The Radio' (I didn't know that was her for some reason!) OTR is my fave of them. But I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you choose.

I'm most intrigued by this artist coz I have a feeling I'm not going to know a lot by name, but once I listen to the playlist, she'll have some bops that I am aware of!

I was about to say basically the exact same! From what I’ve heard from her I really enjoy her music I’m just not too familiar with the non hits. I Feel Love deserves to smash

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 23rd February 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Wow what an interesting choice to represent. I don’t know as much as I should do so I’m very excited to hear the submissions

Just listened to She Works Hard For The Money and it’s great - I think I know it, possibly from Grand Theft Auto Vice City laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd February 2021, 08:43 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I love Donna!

I Feel Love is one of the most important records in popular music, still iconic.

My choice would be Down Deep Inside, theme from the film The Deep, a John Barry co-write with lyrics by Donna, it's very naughty and got that Bond-theme class.

Other great Donna's: This Time I Know It's For Real, MacArthur Park, Love To Love You Baby, Love's Unkind, Winter Melody, State Of Independence, and a recent revamp of 1980 album track Grand Illusion (Le Flex Poolside Mix). To name a few. Her output is amazingly varied in genre even though she's known as the Disco Queen (which was really Gloria Gaynor) - she had some disco monsters but with Moroder was much more than that.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 23rd February 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Cant see anyone beating 'I Feel Love' smile.gif

I assume it will go in the last round.

Love's Unkind is also a forgotten single.

This post has been edited by vibe: 23rd February 2021, 09:38 AM

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 23rd February 2021, 10:11 AM
Post #18
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 23 2021, 08:43 AM) *
I love Donna!

I Feel Love is one of the most important records in popular music, still iconic.

My choice would be Down Deep Inside, theme from the film The Deep, a John Barry co-write with lyrics by Donna, it's very naughty and got that Bond-theme class.

Other great Donna's: This Time I Know It's For Real, MacArthur Park, Love To Love You Baby, Love's Unkind, Winter Melody, State Of Independence, and a recent revamp of 1980 album track Grand Illusion (Le Flex Poolside Mix). To name a few. Her output is amazingly varied in genre even though she's known as the Disco Queen (which was really Gloria Gaynor) - she had some disco monsters but with Moroder was much more than that.

YES @ the State of Independence love- I think for all the rounds I can I will be going for the relatively big hitters and the album track rounds I’ve got some real favourites I’m excited to discuss- State Of Independence is one I think might be a little too subtle compared to some of the other singles I could use! This Time I Know It’s For Real I definitely won’t be using I’ve never been able to click with that whole album it feels a little cheap compared to her other output!

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 23rd February 2021, 10:11 AM
Post #19
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

Also Love’s Unkind is FAB

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 23rd February 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #20
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

CHOICE FOR ROUND 1: FREE CHOICE

SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY

1983’s Billboard top 3 hit- She Works Hard For The Money- taken from the album of the same name- is our choice for round 1 of the contest. The song is an energetic 80s, nuwave inspired track and was the first music video by a black woman to be played on MTV- breaking boundaries for future artists to follow in her footsteps!

Hope you enjoy and possibly discover a new banger!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:55 PM