BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pseudo-relevant things the Lib Dems are doing
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qassändra
post Jul 3 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #21
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jul 3 2016, 09:07 PM) *
Ha. As opposed to a shambling rambling oap or a cold hearted dominatrix.

I'll take the vicar ta tongue.gif

Britain will take the cold hearted dominatrix.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 3 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Jul 3 2016, 09:09 PM) *
He can't force them to, which is why he needs to get creative - that's leadership.

Which is what he is doing on the EU.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jul 3 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
With the Lib Dems, it seems to me that they've done well when they can have a flagship "contrary policy" that helps them to gain protest votes against the incumbent government. In 2005 it was their opposition to the Iraq War (and to a lesser extent ID cards, if I recall correctly), and in 2010 it was tuition fees. They lost lots of ground in 2015 because they could no longer be seen as a "protest vote" to being in coalition with the Conservatives, so if my theory is correct, their strident pro-EU stance could see them start to regain the ground that they lost last year, perhaps regaining the Remainers who ditched them last year.

As for Tim Farron as leader, I've liked what I've seen of him so far, although admittedly what I've seen of him has been his Twitter account, his appearance on HIGNFY, and seeing him ask 1 question at PMQs because I was was watching it whilst procrastinating from studying. At least that's better than the open hostility he received when he was running.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 3 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #24
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
To be fair to Tim Farron (he doesn't get called upon during PMQs because of some weird John Bercow vendetta or something), he was the only politician who questioned the disgraceful, racist and divisive Tory campaign against Sadiq Kahn for London mayor? Well Corbyn was never going to bother was he?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 4 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Tim Farron is a man of principle. Most libdems are people are principle. If it were all about being in power they would be busy splitting apart the Labour or Tory parties, because in their case it HAS to be about power: keeping the other lot out as they would make more of a hash of it (as each would see it). Turns out they are both as useless as each other when in power, when it comes to avoiding big disasters. On smaller policies, labour has a social conscience, tories have no conscience.

He was also the only party leader who was as livid as I was about the pathetic referendum campaign and the predictable catastrophic result (that's catastrophic for everyone, not just the UK).

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Jul 4 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #26
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 3 2016, 09:39 PM) *
To be fair to Tim Farron (he doesn't get called upon during PMQs because of some weird John Bercow vendetta or something), he was the only politician who questioned the disgraceful, racist and divisive Tory campaign against Sadiq Kahn for London mayor? Well Corbyn was never going to bother was he?

Uh...a fair few in Labour had something to say about it!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 4 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #27
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Jul 4 2016, 01:12 PM) *
Uh...a fair few in Labour had something to say about it!

I meant to raise it directly during PMQs, sorry I didn't make myself very clear there.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 7 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Just a few weeks after Labour were fined for expense irregularities, it is now the Lib Dems that have come under the firing line, receiving a £20,000 fine for failing to declare nearly £200k worth of expenses for their 2015 campaign, as well as being referred to the police to see if any criminal activity has been evident.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 13 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Lib Dems have started 2017 as they ended 2016 by continuing to make gains in local by-elections. That included an extraordinary win last night in Sunderland. When the seat in question was contested last May the Lib Dems got a miserable 90 votes (to finish fourth) while Labour won with over 1,200 votes. Last night the Lid Dems won the seat very easily having done pretty badly there even in pre-coalition days.

Meanwhile, in Three Rivers, they gained a seat from the Tories (albeit one they have won before). The big significance of this win is that they now have a majority on the council.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 13 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yes, this one is flopping about Twitter with the usual "Coalition Traitor" comments about austerity - conveniently forgetting the Libdems had 2 choices: to go with a party who were advocating austerity but who had just been kicked out of a majority government having failed miserably in their economic performances and policies leading up to the banking crisis, or else go with a party with slightly more seats who were advocating austerity but who had just been supporting every economic policy and not questioning as an Opposition should be the kicked out of a majority government which failed miserably in it's economic performances and policies leading up to the banking crisis.

As I tried to explain to my Momentum-joining New Labour-hating Brexit-supporting otherwise sane-friend - (he was an activist for New Labour, tried to stand as a London Councillor but wasnt selected due to local politics, and didn't support Brexit and didn't vote for Corbyn) there is some sort of mass-hysteria going on in the Labour Party who singularly fail to realise that People outside the party think Corbyn is useless. That people have come to realise they were lied to about Brexit. That party democracy is something Corbyn used to believe was a good thing, till he became leader and decided Labour Party policy was to be dictated by him and a few cronies and the £3 newbies.

Libdems are the party of opposition to this terrible government in England. There is no other sane opposition for sane people to vote for.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 3 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Another extraordinary win for the Lib Dems in a local by-election yesterday, this time in Rotherham. In what had generally been a rock solid Labour seat (although UKIP have come close a couple times and even won one seat in a triple vacancy last year), the Lib Dem candidate won with two-thirds of the vote. In most recent contests, the Lib Dems hadn't even bothered to put up a candidate.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Feb 3 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
British politics is increasingly turning into a leave vs remain party political country where there may only be room for 2 of the
Tories, UKIP, Labour & Lib Dems!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 3 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 3 2017, 11:38 PM) *
British politics is increasingly turning into a leave vs remain party political country where there may only be room for 2 of the
Tories, UKIP, Labour & Lib Dems!

It's an interesting point, but I think the leave/remain political divide will only last up until the point that Britian actually leaves the EU. As I've mentioned before, UKIP's future fortunes post-Brexit will rely on whether it can evolve into a right-wing populist party now that its raison d'etre has been removed (although I'm not sure Ukippers would know what raison d'etre means anyway), and I believe the upcoming Stoke by-election will be the litmus test to that. As for the Lib Dems, although they are definitely pro-EU, once it's clear that they cannot reverse Article 50, the EU stuff won't be their key touchstone policy, although by that stage they'll have built up a solid base from disfranchised ex-members from other parties that it wouldn't matter anyway. So I think at least 3 of them will still have a future.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 18 2017, 06:26 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
a week is a long time in politics...

turns out UKIP didnt make it to the end of 2017 as a relevant party now the Tories have become UKIP....

My real reason for posting though is its Libdem conference time and I am constantly amused by the text versions of rolling news television. Apparently the conference will be addressed by servings cable. Could have been worse I suppose... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Sep 18 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Yay it's conference season!! Does someone have the bingo cards ready?

The Tory lot are having theirs directly across the road from work.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 1 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
An interesting set of local council by-elections last night. Of course, theses should always come with a warning that no conclusions can be drawn from one set of results.

There were just four contests with the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP defending one each. The Lib Dems won all four. For the sake of accuracy, one of them (in Maidstone) has been won by the Lib Dems (and predecessor parties) in almost every local election since 1979, The place up for grabs yesterday had been won by the Tories two years ago with a majority of just 25. The significant point is that the Lib Dems now replace the Tories as the largest group on the council.

Perhaps more interesting is the result in Gosport (Hampshire). Since the ward was created in 2002, the Lib Dems have never put up a candidate, They did stand in yesterday's by-election and won with 58% of the vote.

The victory in Torridge (Devon) is a curious one. The three-seat ward was last contested in 2015 with an independent, the Tories and UKIP each winning one seat. Split wards in all-up elections happen fairly frequently, but a three-way split is very unusual. Once again, the Lib Dems didn't even have a candidate in that election.

The win in Tandridge (Surrey) was in a ward that has seen close Tory / Lib Dem contests in most elections since 2006.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Dec 1 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 1 2017, 10:00 AM) *
An interesting set of local council by-elections last night. Of course, theses should always come with a warning that no conclusions can be drawn from one set of results.

Perhaps more interesting is the result in Gosport (Hampshire). Since the ward was created in 2002, the Lib Dems have never put up a candidate, They did stand in yesterday's by-election and won with 58% of the vote.

They must be kicking themselves for not contesting it before! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 1 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
sounds like Tory heartland is pissed off with them for some reason.......

That shines a little light in to the dark despair that is 2017!

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Dec 1 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #39
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
My knowledge of the SDP, the Alliance and the Lib Dems up to 1997 isn't strong enough to answer this, but for anyone whose is - is the point the party's at now comparable to any particular time then? It seems that they're doing usefully in by-elections and may well make moderate gains in strong areas in the Locals in May, but are a good few years off showing any signs of turning around their awful position in Westminster.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 1 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Shortly after the SDP and Liberal party merged, the Lib Dems (or Social and Liberal Democrats as they were briefly known) were regularly scoring only 2-3% in opinion polls. Paddy Ashdown liked to joke later that they were within the margin of error of zero.

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:26 AM