BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eurovision Song Contest 2017 · Debrief
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post May 14 2017, 07:03 AM
Post #1
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

The morning after the night that was. Portugal are now officially out of the record books as the worst Eurovision country ever as they clock their first victory! Bulgaria and Moldova who completed the top three also got their country's best results ever and The UK got their best result since Blue in 2011 and actually have reason to feel good about the result that they got the morning after.

The purpose of this thread is, if you like, to ease the transition from "High Season" in Eurovision Terms to the "off season" over the summer and early autumn and to discuss all the stories and fallout from the show last night. Topics may include but are not necessarily limited to;

· All the news and speculation out of Portugal today and the ongoing process to select a host city/venue (Even though we're 98% sure Eurovision is going to Lisbon next year, other Portuguese cities do exist and there'll probably be some form of bidding process that Denmark/Sweden/Austria/Ukraine all went through occuring again with RTP)

· The full split data for the jury votes and televote rankings that are available (albeit horribly formatted) on eurovision.tv. What interesting trends/occurences has the data revealed? How different would the results had been if the voting was done in one of the many different ways of counting the votes Eurovision has trialled over the years?

· What countries/broadcasters will be feeling good or feeling bad once the hangovers wear off. Who needs to go back to the drawing board? What lost treasures in the National Selections would have done better than what eventually made it to Kyiv? Who made the absolute right choice? Who's probably not coming back next year (although I guess we had the first answer to that question ten minutes into the results)?

· How or what does the contest need to change in the wake of the 2017 results? What parts of the structure of the voting, hosting, organisation ect aren't fit for purpose? How did Kyiv's hosting measure up to Stockholm (or more fairly), Vienna, Copenhagen and so on?

· How comfortable was the Australian stage invader's night in a Kyiv jail cell?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oliver
post May 14 2017, 07:10 AM
Post #2
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Apparently he's a well known Ukrainian comedian/stage invader/prankster who was draped in an Australian flag.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #3
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

One thing I have noticed from my data trawling is that Latvia were so unpopular in the first semi final that they came EVEN LOWER than AZERBAIJAN in the ARMENIAN televote. That's positively insulting!

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post May 14 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Finland had disastrous National selection this year. Blackbird was only song worth going to ESC and it did ok, 12th in its semi. But YLE does nothing to improve the national system sadly.

The grand final was very solid this year. I found six songs to my playlist which is definitely a lot

The slogan was celebrate diversity and yet we had 3 white males hosting. biggrin.gif

Some of the country juries seemed to be on acid.

This post has been edited by SKOB: May 14 2017, 08:05 AM

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #5
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

I mean I don't want to go over Finland again because I did talk about them in the Post-Mortem thread but if Emma hadn't completely messed up the performance of 'Circle of Light' then that could have actually done pretty well in Kyiv. The stage this year in particular would have really worked with all the circular imagery and the "chandelier" (like, imagine on the final chorus as the circle of golden light glows brightly and the chandelier camera zooms out with a spin - that would have been SO GOOD!) so there was potential there for something magical.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 14 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #6
Hello?
Group: Members
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I can't seem to locate the split results...where did the UK's 12 televote points come from?

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #7
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 14 2017, 09:18 AM) *
I can't seem to locate the split results...where did the UK's 12 televote points come from?

If you scroll down to the fourth or fifth item on eurovision.tv then there'll be a link to them on there.

A group of us managed to track it down on Skype last night, the usual mix of Ireland/Australia/Malta and, bizzarely, 1 point from Spain!

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 14 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #8
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

I love the inexplicable love-in from Malta and now Australia each year laugh.gif the ex-pats coming out in force in the latter.

I wonder if Lucie's friendship/duets with Manel were talked up by the Spanish commentators.

+Quote Post
p a v
post May 14 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #9
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

Ugh of COURSE Portugal gave Spain their only televoting points! f***ing TRAITORS

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 14 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #10
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ May 14 2017, 09:22 AM) *
A group of us managed to track it down on Skype last night, the usual mix of Ireland/Australia/Malta and, bizzarely, 1 point from Spain!

Gracias Jade!! I'll get a collection going around the site and we'll pay you back for all those phone votes upon your return xx

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 14 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #11
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

What data do we have about the victories for "Fairytale" and "Euphoria", I think it's a lot less than we get now? I see that Portugal was top 6 in every single televote and would be interested to know how that compares..

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #12
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

QUOTE(J▲hq @ May 14 2017, 10:08 AM) *
What data do we have about the victories for "Fairytale" and "Euphoria", I think it's a lot less than we get now? I see that Portugal was top 6 in every single televote and would be interested to know how that compares..

Nowhere near enough data to explore it properly. What I do know is that if 2009 were scored in the same way as 2017 then Rybak would have lost his crown to Salvador by about 40 or so points

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Because I know how to use my time, this is Semi Final One if the scoring system from 2013-2015 had been used

01 Portugal 206
02 Moldova 166
03 Sweden 132
04 Belgium 101
05 Cyprus 81
06 Armenia 77
07 Australia 71
08 Azerbaijan 67
09 Poland 60
10 Greece 54

11 Finland 46
12 Albania 41
13 Georgia 35
14 Iceland 26
15 Czech Republic 22
16 Slovenia 13
17 Montenegro 11
18 Latvia 9

The qualifiers don't change but the order is shuffled around in the non qualifiers and Finland especially get within touching distance of Greece in 10th. I have yet to do the calculations for Semi Two but based on the discrepancies and closeness I think that's going to be quite something!

+Quote Post
Brer
post May 14 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #14
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ May 14 2017, 10:25 AM) *
Nowhere near enough data to explore it properly. What I do know is that if 2009 were scored in the same way as 2017 then Rybak would have lost his crown to Salvador by about 40 or so points

Is there actually grounds to call this the most successful winner ever in that case or am I reading this wrong? It obviously has the most points ever but that's not really saying much when it's only the second winner under the new inflated system - beating Jamala by over 200 points though!!

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 14 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #15
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SKOB @ May 14 2017, 09:00 AM) *
Some of the country juries seemed to be on acid.

Quite. I am going to request again that the jury size be increased, they watch the same performance as the public and that absolutely everything is done to avoid collusion between the jurors.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #16
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

QUOTE(Brer @ May 14 2017, 10:35 AM) *
Is there actually grounds to call this the most successful winner ever in that case or am I reading this wrong? It obviously has the most points ever but that's not really saying much when it's only the second winner under the new inflated system - beating Jamala by over 200 points though!!

There is/was a list somewhere where it's marked by the percentage of the possible available points scored in which I think somebody said Salvador got about 77% which is up there but not quite on a par with (among others) Brotherhood of Man, Katrina and The Waves, Nicole and Anne-Marie David who got into the 80+ percentages

+Quote Post
BillyH
post May 14 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

It's great how varied the winners are each year these days. 2002-05 had four scantily-clad young women in a row with big choreographed dance performances, which by the time of My Number One was beginning to get a bit irritating. Then Lordi gloriously shook everything up in Athens and we haven't really had any identical winning sounds or looks since, the closest I suppose being 2012-2013 but even then they're hardly comparable. We've also shaken off the Scandinavian dominance that was getting a bit overkill by the time Mans won, now feeling like the whole continent has a chance again and not just the few countries that border Sweden.

As much as I love Portugal's win, it would be nice to have another upbeat banger next year. Feeling like Bulgaria has a strong chance of gaining their first win in the next few years given their recent performances. Otherwise, maybe a long shot, but we are well overdue a contest in Reyjkavik and Iceland will surely come back with a blinder of a song to make it past the semis soon.

Or the UK will finally send Robbie Williams, by which time he'll look as old as Englebert and come 23rd...

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #18
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Plus, Ryan will be very glad to know that now Portugal have won, the accolade of "new perennial underdog" falls to our dear friends in Cyprus who have had 34 attempts but have never placed in the top four (but their peaks like 'Mana mou' and 'Stronger Every Minute' put basically every Portuguese entry to shame so swings and roundabouts).

Behind Cyprus are Malta and Iceland but they've had (in some cases very close) 2nd places and (if you insist on counting those kinds of things) Malta are currently reigning over the rotting carcass of Junior Eurovision so have had some kind of win for them.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 14 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #19
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

Malta and Iceland need to pull something major out of the bag now, 7th Wonder was completely robbed and Iceland's 2nd placers just sadly got thwarted by huge songs.

I'm still gobsmacked at Claudia's nul points on the televote in the semi. Poor cow to get such a reception after so many attempts to get to Eurovision. Then again, she ain't no Sanna.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 14 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

EDIT: Wrong thread

This post has been edited by cqmerqn: May 14 2017, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:15 PM