BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cody Simpson - Free, 3rd album | 23rd June 2015
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 5th February 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Cody Simpson is a free man. Not only has the Australian singer-songwriter, actor and former Dancing With the Stars contestant recently turned 18, but he is an independent artist, having exited his contract with Atlantic. "It's the first time I've had the creative freedom to do what I want," he says. And his friend Miley Cyrus, who contributed artwork for his brand-new track "Flower," couldn't be more proud of her pal: "He's a super f***ing cool guy and an epic guitar player and singer," she says.

As Simpson describes his newfound independence and recent entry into legal adulthood, he uses variations of the word "free" frequently. It signifies not only his shift in attitude but his music as well, and he has appropriately titled his forthcoming album Free. "I needed the independence," he says. "[The album process] has been very reflective of that."

Working with Cisco Adler (Whitestarr, Shwayze) in Malibu following the break from Atlantic, Simpson has stepped away from his formerly synth- and bass-heavy dance pop and turned to breezy, Jack Johnson-esque acoustic beach pop. "It just came together so easily," he says of the process of creating not only the album but the first release from his new era, "Flower," streaming below.

"I wouldn't call it necessarily a single," he notes. Simpson hopes that his music will be less about creating hit tracks and more about the actual experience of listening to a full piece of music from start to finish. For now, he promises five songs to debut in the next couple of months while he's hoping Free will be out before summer.

Adler hasn't been the only famous friend to help Simpson bring his more mature vision to life. Cyrus contributed artwork for "Flower" when Simpson was on a tight deadline to get his work to iTunes. "I told her where I was headed, and she was stoked," the singer says of his pal's support. "I really admire how she's really unorthodox and fun."
undefined

Cyrus says Simpson simply "hit me up one morning" to ask for a little help with the artwork. "I was being emo and was like, I'm going to just lay in bed and chill with my dogs all day," she remembers. When she heard he needed an image fast, she ran to her living room and grabbed an almost-dead flower. "I shot it on some Polaroids, and then instead of complicating things, I said f*** it, I’m just going to shoot this shit on an iPhone."

Cyrus adds she was "just trying to do something simple for him" to complement the vibe of the track and help people think of Simpson differently. "I just wanted something where people didn't have a stereotypical idea of what he was and could just look at the song for what it is, because it's a f***ing epic song," she says. She says Simpson, who she met at Art Basel, is a "super nice dude and super f***ing talented." He's also, she adds, not what she expected. "I hate for anyone to get stuck in their own name and their own brand of what they built. I should be less of a judgmental person because of how I've been judged, but sometimes even I can think of what you would expect Cody Simpson to be, and he's not what you expect him to be." She says the 18-year-old musician is also getting involved with her charity, which aids homeless youth.

As for other projects, a collaboration with former tourmate Justin Bieber is on the back burner, no longer slated to be released anytime soon while Simpson focuses on the overhaul of his old sound and image. For 2015, he plans to play more shows but will first debut the first live performance of his Free era on Good Morning America this Friday. While delivering "Flower," Simpson will keep it simple and acoustic. The plan is "Just going to play and jam out."

So in short: new song Flower which is a promo single, new album called Free, and Bieber collab album is on hold. Not sure what to make of all this yet. Flower is quite nice though, listen here:

I dislike how he's so against what he's done so far though sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 5th February 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

I feel like he has managed to be around for ages without actually doing anything.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th February 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Martyn @ Feb 5 2015, 10:31 PM) *
I feel like he has managed to be around for ages without actually doing anything.

It shocks me how he never managed to break through but he was barely pushed outside of supporting Justin Bieber on tour really. His songs never got sent to radio, his videos never got sent to music channels, very little promo was ever done, I don't know how the label expected any hits from him really.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th February 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 5 2015, 02:35 PM) *
It shocks me how he never managed to break through but he was barely pushed outside of supporting Justin Bieber on tour really. His songs never got sent to radio, his videos never got sent to music channels, very little promo was ever done, I don't know how the label expected any hits from him really.
I think only "Pretty Brown Eyes" and "On My Mind" managed to make top 40 on radio blink.gif A shame since the latter should have been his breakout sad.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th February 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Blank Slayberry @ Feb 5 2015, 10:39 PM) *
I think only "Pretty Brown Eyes" and "On My Mind" managed to make top 40 on radio blink.gif A shame since the latter should have been his breakout sad.gif

He seems to have a much bigger profile than he actually does, it's so strange. I guess he has a similar amount of fans to, say, The Vamps, but Cody's are more spread out around the world so make less of an impact in one particular country, whereas The Vamps' fans are mostly in the UK so they can easily chart high here? idk, I could be way off the mark there, but it does seem like he has LOADS of fans without there being a high concentration in any particular country, hence his lack of success.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th February 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Also, kinda related, but Alli Simpson (his loving sis) is debuting this on Radio Disney during her show at some point smile.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th February 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Ooh nice ohmy.gif Alli's a bit of a guilty pleasure music-wise for me laugh.gif Why I'm Single was so bad but I couldn't help loving it.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 3rd March 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon

http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/cody-simp...ingle-premiere/

Heads up, Cody's got another new single called "New Problems" <3

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Downloaded it earlier, I really like it! Better than Flower for me I think.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2015, 02:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon

New song Thotful too, a few fans are a bit pissed off at that title ("thot") oops. Great song though, my favourite from this era to date!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th April 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #11
Group icon

1 Free
2 Driftwood
3 New Problems
4 Flower
5 Thotful
6 I'm Your Friend
7 It Don't Matter (feat. Donavon Frankenreiter)
8 ABC
9 Livin' Easy
10 Wilderness
11 Palm of Your Hand
12 Love Yourself (feat. G Love)
13 Happy Lil' Hippie
14 Still Smiling

Almost double the length of the 8-track 2nd album laugh.gif Good to see a nice amount of tracks there though, very excited biggrin.gif Out 23rd June!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th May 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #12
Group icon

I saw Cody live last night at Dingwalls in Camden, and he played quite a few of the tracks from Free! The singles are pretty representative of the other songs I'd say, and he seems a lot happier now he's doing his own thing musically so good on him. He didn't do many older tracks, just La Da Dee, Pretty Brown Eyes, Love and Sinkin' In (and Home To Mama if you count that as an old one).

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 7th May 2015, 07:26 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

Oh Dingwalls.

Do you know why it was moved from SBE>Dingwalls?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th May 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #14
Group icon

I'm presuming because he couldn't even come close to selling out SBE drama.gif

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 7th May 2015, 07:32 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

He sold around 500 tickets. Perfect for Dingwalls. Not any use for SBE.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th May 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #16
Group icon

Yeah 500 is the capacity for Dingwalls, it looked pretty much full too! I think it worked for the set he had anyway tbh, a bit more intimate.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:31 PM