BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #16, shower the oats, i'm done // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 19th April 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

An absence of challengers this week leaves Era Istrefi at the top for a second week running, despite not really notching up that many more plays. Little Big Town’s country-crossover Don’t Die Young lands at #2, but plays-wise still lags pretty far behind the slinky electrochill track. Drake and Inna hold steady in the top 5 and are joined by Tinashe's Flame, landing her second top 5 since I started these charts last year, following her own SuperLove. Elsewhere in the top 10, Miniature Tigers enter with great early-summer jam Crying In the Sunshine, while Prides also score a second top 10 as Away With the Night just squeaks in. The energetic track impressively hits a new peak on its second chart run, having previously gone no further than the 30s.

Some new entries come this week from tracks that took a little longer to break through with me, including this week’s highest, Anne-Marie’s Ciao Adios, and Kygo’s track with Selena Gomez. Other new entries come from The Chainsmokers with Jhené Aiko, Galantis, Gryffin with Daya, Kendrick, Alt-J, Nelly Furtado, The Rasmus (!) and newcomers Harper and Virginia To Vegas.

Here’s the longlist covering this third week of April:

Chart commentary and some links will be coming in my next post, I’ll update the title when they’re up.

01 Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow - Redrum [16-3-1-1]
02 Little Big Town - Don't Die Young, Don't Get Old [31-8-6-2]
03 Drake - Madiba Riddim [15-5-3]
04 Inna - Gimme Gimme [15-2-3-4]
05 Tinashe - Flame [18-5]
06 Miniature Tigers - Crying in the Sunshine [39-16-6]
07 Ariana Grande ft. Future - Everyday [20-9-7]
08 Brooke Candy ft. Sia - Living Out Loud [22-8]
09 Gorillaz ft. Popcaan - Saturnz Barz [34-10-9]
10 Prides - Away with the Night [35-39-X3-14-10]
11 Anne-Marie - Ciao Adios [N]
12 Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony [14-8-12]
13 The XX - Dangerous [28-26-4-4-13]
14 Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko - Wake Up Alone [N]
15 Betty Who ft. Superfruit - Beautiful [35-15]
16 Asgeir - Stardust [33-16]
17 Meadowlark x Prides - Headlights [32-17]
18 Lady Gaga x Andrelli - Million Reasons [18-12-11-18]
19 London Grammar x THRDL!FE - Big Picture [32-11-13-19]
20 Galantis - Rich Boy [N]
21 Maggie Rogers - Dog Years [29-21]
22 Gryffin + Illenium ft. Daya - Feel Good [N]
23 The Rasmus - Paradise [N]
24 Nelly Furtado - Paris Sun [N]
25 Goldfrapp - Moon in Your Mouth [35-34-25]
26 Nicki Minaj - No Frauds [11-2-1-2-26]
27 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma [10-6-7-27]
28 Zara Larsson - TG4M [32-37-28]
29 Matoma ft. Notorious BIG - Old Thing Back [28-29]
30 Pitbull ft. Leona Lewis - Only Ones To Know [33-26-31-30]
31 Kiera Weathers - You Gotta Be [30-31]
32 Raekwon ft. Andra Day - Visiting Hour [36-32]
33 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28-22-28-X14-33]
34 Kygo ft. Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me [N]
35 Kendrick Lamar - Humble [N]
36 GoldLink ft. Mya - Roll Call [39-36]
37 Steps - Scared of the Dark [37-20-24-19-37]
38 Virginia to Vegas - Selfish [N]
39 Alt-J - 3WW [N]
40 Harper - Too Late [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 21st April 2017, 11:02 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 21st April 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Hi Jupiter!

From your list I really like Flame - really thought that would have been Tinashe's big breakthrough hit, it definitely deserved to be. Lack of radio support obviously didn't help though sad.gif

A big new entry for Ciao Adios is pleasing to see, easily one of my favourite songs of the year so far smile.gif

Really like that Brooke Candy/Sia one too, would have liked that to become a random hit

Good stuff smile.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 21st April 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(M4NG0 @ Apr 21 2017, 04:42 PM) *
Hi Jupiter!

From your list I really like Flame - really thought that would have been Tinashe's big breakthrough hit, it definitely deserved to be. Lack of radio support obviously didn't help though sad.gif

A big new entry for Ciao Adios is pleasing to see, easily one of my favourite songs of the year so far smile.gif

Really like that Brooke Candy/Sia one too, would have liked that to become a random hit

Good stuff smile.gif

Thanks Mango smile.gif

I know about Flame... really, collabs with Chris Brown, then-flavour of the month Iggy Azalea and Britney Spears, and ventures into both R&B and pop... what more does Tinashe have to do? Also wow someone up there is throwing a lot of money at her career when you look at it.

Likewise for Brooke Candy landing Sia for a collab...such a random thing for someone as big as Sia is right now to decide to do, even as a side project.

First part of links and writeup up momentarily, I'll be splitting it this week.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 21st April 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon

Decided to break commentary and links in half this week as I have about half of it done and some time stuck travelling tomorrow without wifi, which seems a good time to have some writing to do. After a relative drought of big new entries, a flood have been released this week which should lead to some high new entries. Over this last week, the lack of newies led me back to checking out some big chart entries that hadn't quite caught me yet - hence Ciao Adios and KyGomez making strong debut showings.

Prides are this week's biggest success story, as Away With The Night re-peaks following its re-entry, more than 20 spots higher than it originally managed. Their collab with Meadowlark, Headlights, also enters the top 20, giving them a 3 for 3 record this year. I'm really stoked for album #2 when it finally appears. No track in the chart this week once again has stuck around for longer than 5 weeks, and there's a few that hold that distinction this week; Minaj's former #1 No Frauds, Steps' Scared Of the Dark, The XX's Dangerous, which I still foresee being a big hit single for them later in the year, and a re-entry for Little Mix's No More Sad Songs, which was their highest charter for me in 2016 as the album released. I wouldn't put it past them to re-peak this year mind.

New entries-wise, we have:

I'm still not completely sold on this one - I think it's the title, sounds too much like a wannabe meme that's just not gonna happen - but it's a pretty catchy little bop. 2017 looks to be another year where TPTB will be trying to make Anne-Marie happen in a way I'm not sure new artists can any more in the new chart and industry landscape. Still. I like it well enough, and it's good to see Anne-Marie getting the payoff for several years struggling to get noticed.

Aaah. I love just about everything about this track, should be a strong contender if not a lock down for the top spot in weeks to come. Jhene Aiko's one of my favourite acts out there, I'm very much a stan, and it's great to see her managing to land such a high-profile feature. I would have hammered this on the plays regardless as it's the first track she's put out in a while, but it's actually a pretty solid effort. Chainsmokers do just what they generally do, similar production on here to Closer or Something Just Like This, but if it ain't broke... Yeah, I'd love to see this released as an official single and raising Jhene's profile in the UK and US, and giving her a better claim to fame than "eat the booty like groceries". Currently this is just an album track on the Chainsmokers' just-released album, Memories...Do Not Open.

Heard this out at a club and it really hit the spot. I think Galantis might have released a track before this since their last album era (?), but if that's the case, it didn't really make a splash with me. Rich Boy's pretty typical Galantis, high-pitched vocals, high BPM, and a manic, frantic production. It works though, and brings a blast of hi-energy perfect for a gym or wakeup song.

Chainsmokers' ex-collaborator Daya reappears here for the first time since Don't Let Me Down. Teaming up with producers Gryffin and Illenium, Feel Good makes its debut impression this week after being a slow-burner on my B- and C-list playlists for the last month or so. The track's solid, a positive, euphoria-lite midtempo that fits in well with the current pop and EDM landscapes - so crossover potential there, if anyone decides to push it.

More to come! As always, comments and thoughts are appreciated :3

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 21st April 2017, 10:48 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd April 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon

pt. II :

This one was a real surprise. The Rasmus, for any younger readers, had one out-of-the-blue smash hit single in the UK about 12 or 13 years ago, back when rock was still a force in the charts and acts like Evanescence and My Chemical Romance could score #1 singles.That track, In The Shadows came from their fifth studio album. They'd been active for years before, and have been active for years since. This popped up as a Spotify rec for me - I think, or might even have been a New Music Friday feature. It's a surprisingly solid slightly alt-styled pop rock song, almost reminiscent of something Linkin Park would put out if they hadn't gone back to electro. Give it a spin.

Nelly Furtado's second charter from new album The Ride, released a few weeks ago, following the #2-peaking Cold Hard Truth. Where that song was funk and punk, Paris Sun is more firmly indie pop, with some interesting production and sound effects.

After a few weeks languishing just below the cutoff, this track makes its debut. I think both artists have had stronger material, but the British public disagree - on the official charts, this recently became Kygo's highest-peaker. I'm torn on the message of the song - it shades the line quite close between sassy and a little petty. Still, catchy, and a single to keep Selena in the spotlight without causing her too much stress after her recent exhaustion diagnosis and subsequent time out.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd April 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Hey Jupiter,

Tinashe Top 5 looks cool. cool.gif

I like the new entries from Galantis, Anne-Marie and Kygo too. dance.gif

Please be sure to check out my chart for this week — Top 40 Countdown by awardinary (W/E 27/04/2017).

Great chart.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 24th April 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #7
Group icon

pt III:

Kendrick's latest is his first solo charter for me since I started these, and one of only two solos I recall liking a lot so far - the other being one from his untitled unmastered album. Humble hits right in the sweet spot between serious rap with a message and fun rap that's good to rock out to, which is generally the side I fall more on nowadays. There's just so much depressing stuff going on in the world, I go to music to get away from that. Kudos to Kendrick for getting people to engage with serious issues though.

Newcomers Virginia to Vegas score their first top 40 with this track, Selfish. It's great indie with some synths and a little falsetto in there, almost a bit like Maroon 5 or Phoenix, or Penguin Prison. Came across the track on a recommendation from my friend and I'm glad to come across it; another band to watch out for more from upcoming. They're aiming to release an album later this year.

Alt-J's return has been a slow-burner with me - and the general public, it seems - despite the release of two tracks so far from upcoming third studio album Relaxer. It's seeming a bit less experimental than their last effort, concept album Nara, from what's been released so far, which I'm feeling pretty happy about. This one features an uncredited appearance from Wolf Alice's lead singer who you'll hear popping up with a verse of her own a couple minutes in. In keeping with the album's title, this is a pretty relaxed track overall, and an interesting choice for lead single.

SPOTIFY LINK TO HARPER - TOO LATE - unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anywhere online yet!

Last track for this week is newcomer Harper just sneaking in. She's released an EP last year which I'll be revisiting after coming across this track, and seeks to release another in 2017. Too Late has been a slow-burner just skating the outside of the top 40 for several weeks running, pushed out by stiff competition. This'll probably be as far as she goes, given the high-profile new entries upcoming from Paramore and Lana Del Rey, to name a few, next week. Still, I'm happy to share this track on. Harper's got a great husky voice, and there's Lindsey Stirling-esque violin throughout the track to go with her belting vocal. Top marks, Harper.

That's finally it for the week...super late, but I wanted to share on these new tracks. Hope y'all enjoy! Thanks to those that commented, I love hearing your thoughts smile.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 24th April 2017, 02:55 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th April 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Hey Jupiter!

A late bloomer for Anne-Marie? It was a big grower for me too.

Wasn't a big fan of the new Galantis song, hopefully their next one will be back to their best.

A new Rasmus song? ohmy.gif didn't know they were still going, I'll have to check it out!

Good to see HUMBLE. enter, love the production on that music.gif

Nice chart.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:30 AM