BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sainsburys & Asda in talks to merge
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Apr 28 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

From the BBC:

Merger talks between British supermarket chains Sainsbury's and Asda are at a reasonably advanced stage, BBC business editor Simon Jack confirmed.

The two brands are expected to be retained should a merger go ahead.

Sainsbury's and Asda - the UK arm of Walmart - are the second and third largest supermarkets in the UK.

The combined group would comprise 2,800 stores and would represent around 30% of the UK grocery market - similar to that of market leader Tesco.

George MacDonald, editor of Retail Week, said the grocery industry had been shaken up by low-cost supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl.

"So maybe this type of mega deal will get the go ahead by the Competition and Markets Authority," he said.

"This is quite audacious by Sainsbury's - given it has only recently bought Argos. It's symptomatic though of the restructuring of the supermarket industry."

It sounds as if both supermarkets will still retain their branding, so we won't see either Asda or Sainsburys disappearing off the high street, which makes sense, as they do seem to have different markets, with Sainsbury's being seen as slightly more "upmarket". The deal will still have to go through the Competition Commission, so they may have to sell off some of their stores for the deal to go through.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 28 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

While they say that both brands will stay, I assume it is still possible that some individual branches will change identity. If that means my local Asda becomes a Sainsbury's, I won't be complaining.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Apr 28 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #3
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

No NO

NOOOOO

Sainsbury's is too EXPENAIBE and Asda CHEAP

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR HE AVERAGE POCKET

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Apr 28 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #4
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I've worked in both in the past, so this is very interesting to me as they were so very different to work for, and indeed to shop in. A completely different culture, feel, type of customer, pricing, everything! I wonder if this would pass competition laws though?

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Apr 28 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Obviously if it does go through it will be an aim to win the market off of Tesco (I assume the deal would be for both parties to work together rather than one take sole control). Both have completely different markets so I could not imagine anything changing for the consumer. I suspect if anything it will be Head Office and distribution roles cut.

I suspect this will probably be good news for the consumer and may allow Asda to compete a little more with the discounters.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 28 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #6
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

If either of the Cheltenham ones close, I hope it's not Sainsburys, as it's just 2 minutes walk away, whereas Asda is more like 2 miles...

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 28 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The difference between the two - and the stated intention to maintain both brands - may be enough to satisfy the Competition Commission. I wonder if Asda stores would join Sainsbury's in becoming pick-up points for (Sainsbury's-owned) Argos.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Apr 28 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #8
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 28 2018, 04:38 PM) *
The difference between the two - and the stated intention to maintain both brands - may be enough to satisfy the Competition Commission. I wonder if Asda stores would join Sainsbury's in becoming pick-up points for (Sainsbury's-owned) Argos.

I guess that would be the idea, there is huge potential in there to tap in to e-commerce (which is the big thing for retailers & suppliers right now) and then rely on shoppers to make some impulse purchases.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Apr 28 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

Their combined market share is still slightly less than Tesco so it shouldn't be an issue for the Competitions Commission. However I can see Tesco objecting to it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:26 AM