BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Murder on the Orient Express, 24 Nov 17 | Judi Dench, Kenneth Branagh, Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post May 3 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

First official image of the remake of the classic film has arrived! Excited based on the stars alone tbh, look at all these: ohmy.gif

Judi Dench, Kenneth Branagh, Josh Gad, Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Olivia Colman *-*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 3 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Really excited for this! I wasn't aware that there were that many big names attached though ohmy.gif

Go on Olivia Colman!!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post May 3 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
c:
Ooh loads more images from Entertainment Weekly! I love Kenneth Branagh's moustache laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post May 3 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Hmm, some names I am really looking forward to seeing (Michelle, Judi, Penelope, Willem) and then some really annoying additions in the form of Josh Gad and
Johnny Depp sad.gif

I kinda grew up with David Suchet as Poirot so not sure how I'll feel about Kenneth but he looks cool laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jun 1 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:

All those stars in one room *-* Most excited for Cruz & Dench out of the whole cast but Branagh looks like he could be lots of fun laugh.gif

The Imagine Dragons song choice seems v odd though and doesn't work with the tone or time period of the film?!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 1 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Intrigued! That casting is magnificent. I'm really excited to see Daisy Ridley the most, because I feel like she will be one of the best up and coming actresses of recent times, so it'll be nice to see her outside of a Star Wars role!

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Jun 1 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
OMG yes...Michelle Pfeiffer is giving me life wub.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Sep 23 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #8
Group icon
c:

I love a good who-done-it murder mystery and I've managed to avoid spoilers so I'm pretty hyped for this right now w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Oct 1 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Yes, this has got hyped up as well. Will have to catch this at some point hopefully.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 4 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Get ready for two of the movie mods to completely drag this in reviews coming v. Soon x

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 4 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
This was dreadful, I'm so disappointed as I was really hyped.

The cast is completely wasted it is ridiculous. Do any of them bar Branagh and that one Depp scene actually have more then about 10 lines?? I was so hyped for Olivia Coleman/Judi Dench/Michelle Pfeiffer in particular and I'm not even sure Olivia spoke, what Judi did and Michelle only rly had lines at the end. Also with the cast it made it hard to really give a f*** about any of their actions at the end and feel kind of justice for them as yh I just didn't know any of the characters well enough to care. The film was paced horrifically, I felt it was dragging on and on and on for about 75% of the film. I was waiting for another death or AT LEAST something to happen, I didn't realise Johnny Depp would be the only one to die which was lowkey disappointing as I read a spoiler that he died first! and then it just went in the complete opposite direction for the rest of the film and was so rushed that it was impossible to keep up with and the reveals/twists just starting coming out of nowhere. I didn't like Branagh as Poirot either, I found his performance just really irritating and I felt he had far too much screen time in comparison to everyone else with some of that screen-time definitely feeling pointless af. I was on the verge of laughing during the reveal scene it was so awfully done and I was in between cringing/laughing and it just felt so OTT. I actually never knew who the murderer was before seeing this but I really disliked it being all of them, idk why but it really put me off. So so disappointing </3

2/10 (and this'll probs go lower)

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 5 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #12
Group icon
c:
QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Nov 4 2017, 12:12 AM) *
Get ready for two of the movie mods to completely drag this in reviews coming v. Soon x

Yeah, this was rubbish. I usually really like Kenneth Branagh as both an actor and director but he clearly thought he was doing a great job in this as he focused way too much screen-time on his over-the-top and irritating portrayal of Hercule Poirot. I guess a character with a moustache bigger than their face is supposed to be a bit exaggerated but the cheesy accent and generally hammy performance became annoying very quickly and it became frustrating that such an A-list cast were getting nothing to work with. Why hire the likes of Judi Dench and Penelope Cruz (two of the best working actresses in Hollywood) to give them one short scene each and background cameos for the rest of the film.

Aside from the wasted cast, the pacing was dreadful as Sam mentioned. I was so bored for the majority of the film and then suddenly it went a breakneck speed and it was hard to even keep up with what was going on and Poirot started speaking really fast and I couldn't even understand what he was saying laugh.gif I wasn't familiar with the story so wasn't sure who the killer was going to be but I wasn't a fan of that twist either and it was even quite hard not to laugh during the actual murder scene.

I can't believe they teased "Death on the Nile" at the end! I sincerely hope that a Branagh adaptation of that does not come to fruition.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 5 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #13
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
This might be one of my favourite films of 2017.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Nov 5 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
i really liked this!!! i really didnt have any expectations, just picked from the titles of the films at the cinema but thought it was really enjoyable and wasn't expecting the outcome!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 7 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I really liked it too. Big old-fashioned all-star casts like this are never meant to be detailed character analyses, they are just whodunnits, and the joy is in the cast, the costumes, and guessing whodunnit. Great to look at, pleasant enough, and yes I did guess whodunnit about half-way through (actually I may have half-remembered spoilers from 1974 - I never went to see that one) but it was fairly easy to work out anyway if you are a bit cynical and don't believe in coincidences. laugh.gif

7/10

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Nov 8 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
What's with it stopping and people falling ou and danglif over a wooden bridge?

Hollywood pap

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Nov 8 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
I read the book so unless they changed the ending I know who did it

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 10 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Buttered Muffin @ Nov 8 2017, 01:18 PM) *
What's with it stopping and people falling ou and danglif over a wooden bridge?

Hollywood pap

Falling? Momentum? tongue.gif

Now my Hollywood cliche most-hated is human beings jumping through glass windows and coming through unscathed. Every other action movie.... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Nov 10 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 10 2017, 01:12 PM) *
Falling? Momentum? tongue.gif

Now my Hollywood cliche most-hated is human beings jumping through glass windows and coming through unscathed. Every other action movie.... laugh.gif

That is my second worst after the bad guys not hittin anythin but the good guys are expert shooters.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Nov 12 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #20
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I so wanted Sam and Josh to be wrong but WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT. I was mostly here for Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Michelle Pfeiffer and Daisy Ridley so I was not interested at all in it being the Kenneth Branagh show. I'm glad that Johnny Depp was the one killed off as I could hardly understand a word of what he was saying (is that even a spoiler? Now that I think about it, he couldn't have been shown as a suspect in the trailer, but it passed me by laugh.gif).

Did Olivia Colman think she was in a silent movie???

I came away not really understanding a load of what had happened and how the characters were linked - a combination of some of the dialogue being hard to make out and it being dull for the most part which led to me daydreaming a bit.

Will say though that I think I liked the twist and I loved Kenneth Branagh's version of an eye mask but for his moustache laugh.gif The easy highlight of the movie!

I'm glad I saw sense not to have this as my most hyped movie of the month (based on cast and general buzz - I was really drawn in by the trailer!) as it was such a massive disappointment.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:35 PM