BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Impact of coronavirus on music industry
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jordanlee
post Mar 22 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
QUOTE(mic1812 @ Mar 22 2020, 05:58 PM) *
Are amazon and HMV sending out physicals online

HMV are. I just ordered a couple. They’re running a delayed service though. My Weeknd CD what was supposed to come on Friday still hasn’t arrived to me yet after ordering it In February x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Mar 22 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Anathema (a rock group I've entered into the BJSC twice) have set up a crowdfunding page as cancelling their tour has left them broke. They have already raised 60% of their target.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/were-home-becaus..._cp+share-sheet

+Quote this post
ben08
post Mar 23 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,152
From the OCC.
Music acts are being forced to push back or postpone album releases they had scheduled in for the coming months. The current climate means artists are unable to conduct their full promotional schedules - including radio, TV and other public appearances - leading several acts to delay the release of their upcoming records.

Another big factor is the closure of HMV, who announced they were temporarily shutting their doors from March 22 amid these "unprecedented times". Read HMV's full statement here. HMV, along with major supermarkets, are among the leading retailers for CD and vinyl in the UK. Supermarkets have stated they are currently not prioritising entertainment products in their shops.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Mar 23 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Mar 22 2020, 06:54 PM) *
HMV are. I just ordered a couple. They’re running a delayed service though. My Weeknd CD what was supposed to come on Friday still hasn’t arrived to me yet after ordering it In February x

I think the delay was due to the addition of the free 7” vinyl as all my other orders have been fine from HMV and I got a notification that my Weeknd bundle was sent today.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Mar 23 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
HMV have launched a decent sale -

Vinyl - https://store.hmv.com/store/hmv-offers/viny...3A00%3A00-Solus

CD - https://store.hmv.com/store/hmv-offers/cd-o...3A00%3A00-Solus

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Mar 23 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Jord
I was just wondering re Supermarkets. Like would they see a spike in stuff like DVD and music sales?

When you’re at home with f—- all to do we need something. But at the same time I totally see why they’re seeing essentials as priority.

Will online orders just get bigger and hopefully create more work for people who’ll deliver them out?

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post Mar 23 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49
QUOTE(dan.G @ Mar 20 2020, 07:00 AM) *
coronavirus already having a negative impact on streaming of music too as people opt to watch tv instead

https://edm.com/news/streaming-decrease-during-covid-19

I think the point that this article is missing is that quite a lot of businesses put Spotify playlists so the increase on personal streaming is being offset by the massive decrease in streaming by businesses that are temporarily closed. I guess this means at least the Red Lion in Basingstoke or Jenny's Coffee Shop are not going to help determine the big chart battles of the next week.

Might pick up a few things in that HMV sale myself. I need something to distract from all the festivals being cancelled sad.gif

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Mar 23 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
Boris Johnson has just announced that all non-essential shops are to be closed with immediate notice. That means all record shops. It's also likely that the distribution chain for CDs to supermarkets will probably stop for the foreseeable future. Also only travel to and from essential work will be allowed. This means that the music industry will more or less grind to a halt with immediate effect.

The OCC are already working from home. Now the actual chart compilers at Kantar Millward Brown, based in Leamington Spa, will have to do likewise. Presumably we'll still get a chart on Friday but don't be surprised if one doesn't appear if there are any teething problems as there'll be no-one there to solve any potential problems.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Mar 23 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Jord
Imagine if there’s no chart!!!! What would even happen would the current chart just stay as the chart until this passes with everything being a non mover or what.

Or would they estimate from like the midweeks info? Idk nothing will have affected the chart ever though in a way this will and WW too!

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Mar 23 2020, 10:22 PM

+Quote this post
Mangø
post Mar 23 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Mar 23 2020, 10:21 PM) *
Imagine if there’s no chart!!!! What would even happen would the current chart just stay as the chart until this passes with everything being a non mover or what.

Or would they estimate from like the midweeks info? Idk nothing will have affected the chart ever though in a way this will and WW too!

I'm sure the chart can be compiled remotely so it shouldn't be affected. The charts will slow right down though, they're gonna look so stale in a few weeks' time!

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Mar 23 2020, 11:58 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,866

At least we have in effect two singles charts compiled. The Official one from the OCC and the weekly and daily ones from Spotify. You could also count itunes charts too, though they are a tiny percentage of the market now. And of course physicals will drop to basically zero. If something goes wrong with the OCC's server or the computer that compiles their chart then I guess we fill the gap with Spotify's weekly charts, which are after all more or less a straight listing, compared to the OCC's mess of ratios, formulas and rules. It seems a lot less likely that Spotify's system would break down, as compared to the OCC they likely have much more by way of mirror servers, back-ups and so on.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 24 2020, 12:16 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
With more people home I think streaming will increase but its the people who compile the actual chart that may not be working.

+Quote this post
ben08
post Mar 24 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,152
From Music Week
You can expect things to change significantly as the weeks of social distancing go by, but it’s already clear that physical sales are going to take a big hit. Last night, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that all non-essential shops would have to close, adding to already-announced shutdowns by the likes of HMV. Supermarkets will remain open but, even there, space for entertainment is being squeezed by unprecedented demand for groceries.

Week 12 sales figures from the Official Charts Company show that, even without most of those developments, physical sales of artist albums dropped 12.2% week-on-week, to 261,272. Physical compilation sales were down 8.1% to just 60,954, while, overall, sales of all albums (including digital downloads) were down 10.9% to 394,050.

That’s perhaps a smaller drop that some might have anticipated. And, indeed, the biggest-selling physical album of the week, The Shires’ Good Years (BMG) moved 9,793 copies of its total 12,011 sales on physical formats, with just 3.87% of ‘sales’ from streaming.

Labels will be watching closely to see if that changes in the coming weeks as older consumers may finally make the shift to streaming services. But, in the first instance, it does not seem that the move to remote working for much of the population has led to a surge in music streaming just yet.

In the singles market, audio streams edged up 0.5% week-on-week, while video streams rose 0.2%, for a total increase of 0.3%. But, in the albums sector, consumption of Streaming Equivalent Albums actually fell 6.2% week-on-week, to 1,265,809 units.

It’s too early to say if that means the crisis will lead to reduced music consumption across the board and, even in the coming weeks, other likely factors such as a reduced release schedule will also have an impact.

This post has been edited by ben08: Mar 24 2020, 01:36 PM

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Mar 24 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Imagine if this was 20 years ago!! I suppose CD singles were still readily available in supermarkets then but there'd be a crazy drop in sales.

Wasn't there an issue with Matt Cardle's 'When We Collide' regarding the snowy weather in December 2010? Probably the last time I can remember physicals actually having an impact on chart sales, and a few years earlier the closure of Woolworths did wonders for some songs as the CD singles were discounted to a few pence to get rid of them.

+Quote this post
Shaky Fan
post Mar 24 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 509
QUOTE(Rob @ Mar 19 2020, 11:51 AM) *
I really think this will be the end of HMV and other physical music-focused retailers. Golden Discs are the Irish equivalent, in a much better financial position, and they've temporarily closed here. I'd be shocked if HMV has enough liquidity to stay afloat if they've to close their doors.

Do HMV have any stores there any more?

+Quote this post
Shaky Fan
post Mar 24 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 509

If they have midweeks, they'd obviously be collecting data to get those so why would they have to estimate anything?

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Mar 24 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Shaky Fan @ Mar 24 2020, 07:02 PM) *
Do HMV have any stores there any more?

Yes, well over 100 stores still.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Mar 24 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
My streaming has gone down since working from home - I usually travel 1+ hour to from work so a solid 2 hours of streaming a day, I’d say at the moment it’s 50% of that.

I have been buying a lot from the HMV sale though in my small effort to contribute to the last remaining national music chain cry.gif

+Quote this post
Harve
post Mar 24 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
QUOTE(dan.G @ Mar 20 2020, 08:00 AM) *
coronavirus already having a negative impact on streaming of music too as people opt to watch tv instead

https://edm.com/news/streaming-decrease-during-covid-19

I've personally been listening to music less despite having way more free time. It's part of my working routine, and while some things are no longer part of my routine (exercise/hikes, commuting, regular food shopping), I do still do lots of things where I'd listen to music - cooking, cleaning, showering. But not having a routine has stopped me doing things that I do out of habit.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Mar 24 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
maybe the occ should reconsider how the count album streams
if indie artists cannot sell physical copies, there is no way they can compete in the album charts only on the basis of streams
cos the way album streams is calculated is 100% wrong

they need to stop counting playlist streams for the album charts, if someone streams the Hot Hits playlist at random
and streams Mabel - Boyfriend, who does this have to give a stream point to her album? repeat this x multiple playlists x multiple songs
and her album gets 3000 fake sales every week when few people have bought the album on the shop or iTunes or even streamed the album proper on Spotify
and same goes for Jax Jones, Rita Ora, all these pseudo-greatest hits that are selling 3K a week thanks to playlists

and your poor indie act like Tame Impala or the National, I'm sure if you counted purely album streams, I bet they have more weekly streams that Mabel, but they're not even in the charts cos their songs are not on playlists so they don't get fake album streams

and it's the same with compilations, if you stream a compilation, you give streaming points to that compilation and that's it... if you listen to the parent album you give points to that parent album, not also to the compilation... it's ridiculous to have compilations like Diamonds or Queens Greatest Hits that have a very significant number of inflated streams from other albums...

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:36 AM