BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ~diversity~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 1st August 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

In response to the rather dance-dominated contests of late, how 'diverse' would you say your entries are? (Specifically with regards to genre but also with other aspects like gender and nationality etc.) And if you have a consistent sound / style of entry that you tend to stick to, do you do this on purpose (linked to the 'does your country have a sound?' thread I suppose) or is that just the sort of song that invariably sticks out to you on the ~hunt~ for entries? And on the flipside if you don't have a coherent sound, do you make a specific effort to avoid similar sounding tracks or is that just the way things go for you naturally?

I try to inject a bit of a variety into my entries where possible, most of my entries are dance/electronic but I've also sent indie, hip-hop and (although some might DISPUTE it) a couple of pop songs. I've also ~experimented~ with a fairly diverse range of subgenres of electronic music, trying to avoid falling into the recent trap of tens of entries blending into a single long house track. Nonetheless I'm sure others can claim to rather more genre diversity (not least FSR Rontvia who seem to be very much pushing for diversity recently ~ not that that's a bad thing)

I think I also have a pretty even split of female and male led / vocalled entries (although recently I've not been too big on the whole vocals thing in general). An uncomfortably large portion of my entries though are by British or American artists, which my current entry isn't really helping much being by American artists.

Another related question, do you think it is important that BJSC should have a (more) diverse range of sounds or are you happy with things the way they are, largely dominated by one sound but with sprinklings of 'different' stuff? Personally I don't mind the dance domination as it's generally brought high quality contests but even I sometimes find myself a little 'dance fatigued' when there are several very similar songs in a row.

(feel free to also DIVERGE and discuss / moan about the lack of diversity in BJSC recently in this thread if you wish ~ maybe you'll inspire some people to switch it up a bit)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st August 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

My first entry was an indie song remixed into dance
Second was a pop song
And my third is a foreign language ballad

Fairly varied so far but I'm running out of ideas

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 1st August 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I'd say my entries have been very diverse. The only genre I've never really went into is pure pop.

I mean I went from Tito El Bambino to Charles Murdoch to Tritonal in less than a year. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 1st August 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I picked up on the house orientated dance in entries in the last few contests. I guess I've been quite generic bar a couple of entries but this month's entry is completely different to anything I've ever sent and I hope it pays off.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 1st August 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I would say that I've been fairly diverse in my entries and I would like to send more diverse songs in the future. Two of my potentials this month, and the ones I'm more likely to send over the one I've confirmed, are different to what I've sent before. It's just finding the right entry that I can get behind and support and is not something that I think will flop on it's arse.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 1st August 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Not sure how to answer this. I think I've sent some of the least obvious entries (Choreograph etc) along with some more obvious ones but they all do seem to have a certain pleasant style to them which is very FLJ.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 1st August 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I try to switch things up as often as I can so that I don't have the same people voting for my entries each month and so that I don't get typecast, it's nice to provide potential discoveries for different people each time. I like to cater to a different niche each time (sometimes too niche, oops Safari) and if it branches out into crossover appeal territory like some of them do then all the better! All that said, I do almost always pluck my entries from the top three of my personal chart so it's only reflecting the diversity in that I guess.

I do appreciate countries that have carved out their own identity and excel at it though but I could personally never stick to the same genre all the time.

Since the start of 2013 alone, and ignoring my first 50 entries altogether, I've sent schlager, electro, trance, house, trap, gospel, indie, ballads, blues/soul and a range of variations of pop. These have come from solo males, solo females, mixed groups, duos, male groups, girlbands and in English, German, Danish or instrumentals. In terms of nationality, in the last 18 months I've sent acts from: South Africa, Poland, UK, Italy, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, US, Spain, Netherlands and Norway!

Sweden used to be my go to for entries but you have to go back to early 2012 to find my last Swedish entry, either Scandipop has gone down the dumper in recent years or it's just become TOO well known to bother sending.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 1st August 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I've always valued diversity in my entries and ever since late 2012 I've tried my best to send a diverse range of genres and sounds. I've proud to say I've sent all of metal, house, rap, indie-pop, pop-punk-rock and foreign language power ballads in the past and I try never to send the same thing twice (the one time I did I ended up with my least favourite entry for a while as the second one). There's still a couple of genres I have yet to master, but I'll get round to them in good time. I can't weigh down my sound properly, the closest I come is the rock stuff that noone else bar Zech sends but even that I don't send enough to be called 'my sound'. That's good for me, I like it that way.

I also always try and reward other people going diverse and taking a risk if possible and on occasions I've penalised people for submitting what feel like lazy entries, either if it feels like they're going with the trend of just sending something that sounds like every single one of their past entries but just worse because it feels uninspired (not in the cheap way, in the autopilot way, a country that sounds the same contest after contest will normally just get worse and worse). Good examples are Ramrynia and Daehun's entries from LIII. Tich was so basic Ramrynia pop it hurts, so as such I'm far appreciating the recent change Ryan's put on his entries to have less of 'this is the newest basic female pop track I've found' smell about them. And Daehun are normally among my most highly voted for countries, but, I know Yu will dispute this, but Girl's Day was the worst sort of reductive K-Pop such that even I couldn't get on board. That both of them had been sending similar songs in recent months didn't help in the slightest. I'd say the same today for most of the dance-heavy nations (and consequently any genre that's too popular and over-saturated in the contest). You may stumble on some really exquisite dance on occasion but most of the entries will just sound reductive, unnecessary and therefore nowhere near my votes.

I have always said I'd love it if the contest had a rock phase (that'd probably be the one umbrella genre the above wouldn't apply to) but as that's never going to happen I'll just rail against the dance machine until some new genre becomes the popular one for me to rail against.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 1st August 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

It's either dance (Bullit/Animals), pop(Hunter/Dollhouse) or something in between (Tonight/World Of Dreams/Shotgun)

So not very varied, but it's what I like so...

This post has been edited by *Tim: 1st August 2014, 09:37 PM

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 1st August 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

For the past year, I've used different genres, from Indie, Dance, Dubstep/Dance I did send the odd pop Suzie McNeil, but its more grown up pop, mind you I've only DNQ once this year, so I must be doing something right, by changing genres every month. My main source is usually Indie material, but I'm beginning to be more diverse in my selections, otherwise it be all samey every month.

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 1st August 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #11
Group icon
bye dinner
User: 12,972

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 1 2014, 10:34 PM) *
I've always valued diversity in my entries and ever since late 2012 I've tried my best to send a diverse range of genres and sounds. I've proud to say I've sent all of metal, house, rap, indie-pop, pop-punk-rock and foreign language power ballads in the past and I try never to send the same thing twice (the one time I did I ended up with my least favourite entry for a while as the second one). There's still a couple of genres I have yet to master, but I'll get round to them in good time. I can't weigh down my sound properly, the closest I come is the rock stuff that noone else bar Zech sends but even that I don't send enough to be called 'my sound'. That's good for me, I like it that way.

I also always try and reward other people going diverse and taking a risk if possible and on occasions I've penalised people for submitting what feel like lazy entries, either if it feels like they're going with the trend of just sending something that sounds like every single one of their past entries but just worse because it feels uninspired (not in the cheap way, in the autopilot way, a country that sounds the same contest after contest will normally just get worse and worse). Good examples are Ramrynia and Daehun's entries from LIII. Tich was so basic Ramrynia pop it hurts, so as such I'm far appreciating the recent change Ryan's put on his entries to have less of 'this is the newest basic female pop track I've found' smell about them. And Daehun are normally among my most highly voted for countries, but, I know Yu will dispute this, but Girl's Day was the worst sort of reductive K-Pop such that even I couldn't get on board. That both of them had been sending similar songs in recent months didn't help in the slightest. I'd say the same today for most of the dance-heavy nations (and consequently any genre that's too popular and over-saturated in the contest). You may stumble on some really exquisite dance on occasion but most of the entries will just sound reductive, unnecessary and therefore nowhere near my votes.

I have always said I'd love it if the contest had a rock phase (that'd probably be the one umbrella genre the above wouldn't apply to) but as that's never going to happen I'll just rail against the dance machine until some new genre becomes the popular one for me to rail against.

Not you calling my most favourite K-Pop song of all time "reductive", and especially not when it's that song which made them explode in Korea! It's a well produced pop song with a hook and a fantastic middle 8! Also I fail to see how Girl's Day sounds anything like B.A.P the month before, or Ailee's I Will Show You or Kyarypamyupamyu's PONPONPON OR Seo In Young's Anymore? None of my past entries sound like Expectation at all!

Regarding diversity, I'd like to think my entries are rather unpredictable. I mean I started off the contest with a J-Pop R&B ballad, then sending an ABBA/Disney-themed song followed by a crazy I-don't-even-know-how-to-classify K-Pop song the contest after and then went into retro-pop. 2012 was the year where I experimented a bit by sending the likes of electronic J-Pop music (although in sacrifice, I went a tad bit uninspired towards the end of the year). This year I don't think ANY of my entries sound the same at all. Indila's crazy strings and dramatic instrumental sounds nothing like Lim Kim which in return sounds nothing like CL's MTBD's heavy inspired Bollywood instrumental and the rock-pop of Oh, Be Clever. The song which I'm sending this month marks another shift in what I usually send from the past few months by returning back to my K-Pop roots but not a 'sell-out' one.

+Quote this post
danG
post 1st August 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #12
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I try to be a bit diverse as far as diverse gets in the dance genre and also whilst loving every entry I send. So far this year I've sent house (Tez Cadey), deep house (Ferreck Dawn & Redondo), progressive house (Laurel/Nexity), future deep house (Oliver Heldens), RnB/house crossover (Mar) and Trance (4 Strings). My next entry admittedly is progressive house but I'd say it's different to Fire Breather. Hope you enjoy it happy.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 1st August 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Thermo, serious question though, as much as I do enjoy some of your dance entries, any plans to send something with not a hint of dance at all? I know it's your home territory but... Posing the same question to Ethanola.

QUOTE(Oricon @ Aug 1 2014, 10:42 PM) *
Not you calling my most favourite K-Pop song of all time "reductive", and especially not when it's that song which made them explode in Korea! It's a well produced pop song with a hook and a fantastic middle 8! Also I fail to see how Girl's Day sounds anything like B.A.P the month before, or Ailee's I Will Show You or Kyarypamyupamyu's PONPONPON OR Seo In Young's Anymore? None of my past entries sound like Expectation at all!

I wouldn't have expected any less of a response from you, Yu. biggrin.gif

It's one of the few times I've thought of a Daehunese entry: 'oh, god, not this again', and it was more a standard Paparazzi sort of sound which sounds a teeny bit basic compared to the others. It just isn't for me (unlike most of the rest of your sublime entries).

ESPECIALLY this year, oh I'm loving a bit of Daehun this year (although it seems nearly everyone is). I was there for you FIRST with Aitakute Aitakute (what a great and inspired debut entry), never forget.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 1st August 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

With all this dance around it's a shame that more people don't dabble with trance. I know that a lot of people play to win and it's got very little precedent in the contest but 4 Strings was a brilliant entry and RAMelia won the contest/Rivaz came top three so it's not like it's got no chance of doing well...

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st August 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 1 2014, 10:52 PM) *
With all this dance around it's a shame that more people don't dabble with trance. I know that a lot of people play to win and it's got very little precedent in the contest but 4 Strings was a brilliant entry and RAMelia won the contest so it's not like it's got no chance of doing well...

That does surprise me as well, I don't see why trance wouldn't appeal in the contest - 'RAMelia (Tribute To Amelia)' is a bit of a special case and I don't expect we'd see many trance tracks do quite as well as that did but it is rather under-represented considering the dance domination. I'd like to see more drum n bass being entered as well, probably my favourite subgenre of dance, but that'll never happen (despite 'Empire' doing so well!!!)

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 1st August 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

The song I've entered in the contest is post-new wave-prog-electronic-indiecore-synthpop. Is that diverse enough?

By the way, that's not a joke.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 1st August 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Aug 1 2014, 11:24 PM) *
The song I've entered in the contest is post-new wave-prog-electronic-indiecore-synthpop. Is that diverse enough?

By the way, that's not a joke.

That sounds more like 80s band A Flock Of Seagulls laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 1st August 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 1 2014, 10:34 PM) *
Good examples are Ramrynia and Daehun's entries from LIII. Tich was so basic Ramrynia pop it hurts, so as such I'm far appreciating the recent change Ryan's put on his entries to have less of 'this is the newest basic female pop track I've found' smell about them.

Yeah, I was probably one of the least diverse countries for a good 20 contests are so and I think the turning point for me was around the time of 'Some of Us' and then 'Jubel' in the contest after. I think being able to host for that second time did make me give myself the chance to try a few different genres and while 'Jubel' wasn't the most inspired entry ever, it was definitely a different type of entry to what I'd ever entered before with it being nearly an instrumental dance track. Then the contest after that I entered 'Ghost' by Chelsea Lankes which was also quite different to my typical female pure pop and dance-pop entries.

I'm not going to deny that this did also coincide in a way with the decreasing success of pop entries of the type I used to send and at the end of the day I do want to make the final every contest as going out in the semi-finals does slightly lower interest in the rest of the contest for me due to not being able to be part of the final results show. However, this shift away from pure pop did encourage me to explore a few different genres to find entries that I thought might be more successful in the BJSC of recent months but also to find entries from different genres that I love just as much as the likes of 'Dancing To The Same Song' or 'Some Of Us' or 'Dumb'.

Of course, I'm not saying that I'm super inspired every contest and that I avoid pure pop and dance-pop completely as I still return to those genres pretty frequently but I do think that my recent run of songs including the likes of 'Solo Dancing', 'Second Life' and 'Haze' make my entries much more diverse and therefore make Ramrynia a slightly more interesting country than I was a year or two ago.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st August 2014, 11:28 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I do try and be diverse as I possibly can, I was pretty much solely pop at the start with entires like Joe Jonas, Jolin Tsai, Helena Paparizou and Oh My!, but I've since dabbled with rap/R&B (Guy Sebastian), deep house (Odysseus), alternative (Basecamp), sultry R&B (Mélat) and even "drone-folk" (Chelsea Wolfe). Although pretty much all of my favourite entries of mine are pop, I do feel somewhat satisfied when I step out of my comfort zone so thst my entries may appeal to different people. A huge amount of my entries are female though, but that's just my tastes really, and actually See No More is probably my favourite of my entries. When it comes to nationality, I feel I've always been quite diverse.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st August 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #20
Group icon

'See No More' is actually amazing despite who it's by. As if that didn't qualify ~

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:24 PM