BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Next Conservative leader?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qassändra
post 26th March 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Probably about time we had a running thread for this given the first proper takedown attempts are happening now.

An absolutely brutal evisceration of Boris by former Tory MP Matthew Parris in The Times today. What few supporters he has in the Commons must be having second thoughts.

With Osborne potentially fatally wounded by IDS, and skeletons like these lurking for Boris, it's interesting to think who else may be in the final two chosen by MPs. I wouldn't rule out a total left-field candidate at this point.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th March 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I still suspect that there may be sufficient Tory MPs with a modicum of common sense to prevent Johnson reaching the final two.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 26th March 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

That was beautiful to read.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 26th March 2016, 12:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Ouch, that is one brutal roasting from Mr Parris. I've seen a few suggestions that the reason why he's decided to attack Boris now is because of his anti-EU stance, although I believe that's a discussion for another thread. Still, it will be interesting to see whether this article will open the floodgates to other similarly barbed attacks on Boris.

I think that the next Conservative leader will be someone who isn't necessarily within the current leadership's inner circle, although the Conservative's current rules for electing a leader mean we're not likely to see a really insurgent outsider take the leadership a la Corbyn for Labour.

I have two preferences for the next leader. The first is Jacob Rees-Mogg. He's highly unlikely to ever get a look-in for various reasons, mainly because he's seen as a relic from Tory parties past who seems anachronistic in the current parliament, but he's incredibly popular within his own constituency, very few people would question that he's a highly intellectual individual (even the SNP admit this), and his election would be welcomed by Labour, who would likely see his leadership as their only chance of a Corbyn victory in 2020. Plus, I agree with his policy that guitars shouldn't be used during Catholic mass.

My second preference would be Ruth Davidson. She's come across very well in the debates I've seen her in, and if her leadership of the Scottish Conservative party sees them outperforming Labour in the Holyrood elections then she might be convinced to go in for the leadership of the entire party. Of course the biggest problem she'd have at the moment is that she's not currently an MP so would need to stand for Westminster to have even a small chance of making it on the ballot, and given her unwillingness to stand in England/Wales she'd need to wait for David Mundell to step aside to have even a slight chance of being an MP.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 26th March 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Ruth Davidson would be an immediate KO for Labour, regardless of whether we got our act together or not. She'd complete the modernisation project in one fell swoop.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 26th March 2016, 01:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

There have been a few strongly anti-Johnson pieces published in the last few days, including others based on his appearance before the Treasury select committee. Somehow, I suspect other papers will either have reported it rather differently, or ignored it altogether.

One piece I read yesterday contained a link to this piece published eight years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/m...ris.livingstone

+Quote this post
Silas
post 26th March 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Ruth has already categorically ruled out running for leader.

She's easily the second best leader this side of the border, aside from Saint Nic of course teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 26th March 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(f1mad @ Mar 26 2016, 07:55 PM) *

She's easily the second best leader this side of the border, aside from Saint Nic of course teresa.gif

I have a feeling that she's playing the long game by ruling herself out. After all, if human nature has taught us anything, it's that the one way to make someone want something even more is to tell us that we can't have it.

In unrelated news, I'm banning everyone from talking about Suede in the News & Politics forum.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 26th March 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I've always liked Matthew Paris.

Boris is fine for guest spots on Have I Got News For You but he's basically a lying, bigoted, rich, posh idiot with no regard for other human beings. Same as Trump, only charming and posh. Rees-Mogg is likeable in a posh public-school dry-sense-of-humor way, but I don't believe he would do anything to make this a better society for most people, more likely a better place for some people. The rich ones. He can of course offer examples where this is an unfair statement... tongue.gif

I couldn't name a single Tory I would want as leader. Used to be some with a social conscience and common sense, if there are any about these days they are certainly good at keeping a low profile. Any lower and they'd be six-feet-under.

+Quote this post
Soy Adriįn
post 27th March 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(f1mad @ Mar 26 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Give me strength.

Osborne has never been particularly liked by the Tory membership. I'm starting to think that they only went for Cameron because they were so sick of being out of power for eight years and will inevitably baulk at anyone else with the same public school persona and modernising shtick now. It probably only took one false step for Osborne to lose any hope of becoming leader and the Budget was almost certainly it.

Saying that, there is a trend for the Tories to go for someone unexpected so I'm still holding out hope it won't be Boris.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th March 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #11
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Despite his mess with 'Gove (O) levels', I expect it to be Michael Gove. Though I would love it to be Liz Truss for comedy value.

+Quote this post
Soy Adriįn
post 27th March 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

I don't know how well liked Gove is by his fellow MPs. One of Osborne's problems is that most of his fanclub (including the comically high number of SpAds he's surrounded himself with) won't get a vote until the final round.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 31st March 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Should we add a poll here.

I think Nicky Morgan has a chance as an outsider or maybe thats just in her own head?!

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 31st March 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #14
Group icon
DROTTNING!

In her own head. She has the gravitas of a toad.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 31st March 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

laugh.gif Shes clearly had the aul Thatcher vocal training too!!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 31st March 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Dare I suggest Priti Patel as an outside candidate?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 31st March 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

MP for Witham in ESSEX. I really don't think so - comes across as incredibly condescending in interviews.

Also she wants to reinstate the death penalty so I think she may be a little too right-wing for the all new compassionate Conservatives.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 31st March 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
DROTTNING!

I think she's got an outside chance. There might be enough hang em and flog em MPs to get her to the final two.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 31st March 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

She has got an outside chance, especially if we vote to leave the EU and the tory right gets a hold of things!

+Quote this post
Harve
post 31st March 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

Liz Truss pls.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »