BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Throwback! Anniversaries of Spice Girls moments, 20 years ago: Victoria Beckham This Groove/Let Your Head Go
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 30th November 2022, 11:54 PM
Post #621
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I remember watching that Audience With as it was televised, I was very very very young.

Gosh, 25 years...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 4th December 2022, 03:02 PM
Post #622
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 11th December 2022, 10:19 PM
Post #623
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,217

10 years since that Viva Forever premiere…

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th December 2022, 11:39 PM
Post #624
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Can't believe it was a decade ago! drama.gif It was a bit of a weird moment in Spice history tbh. The divide between Victoria and the other girls when arriving at the premiere was unfortunate. It didn't send a good message to the public about this musical if it appeared that the Spice Girls weren't united. While they did pose together after the show, Victoria then chose not to attend the after party.

That musical was unfortunately doomed from the start. It just wasn't very well written, and basing it around a reality competition just felt like a tired concept. I also think they struck way too early with a musical. If the 4 of them had decided to dedicate some of the 2010s towards releasing new groups albums and therefore building up a bigger catalogue of material, then perhaps a musical would have been more viable in the 2020s, considering that nostalgia around them is more established than it was in 2012.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th December 2022, 12:17 AM
Post #625
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

How bittersweet that whole period was. After the Olympics, having them be so divided publicly without acknowlegement of why or what was going on, definitely made things quite sour then. And I think Victoria did attend the after party but was in a separate section? I remember reading that somewhere. Sad either way!

For me, this was the clear sign that Victoria had left. It was too obvious she would no longer be part of the group. The other four should have definitely carried on without her.

And yeah, that musical was trash. It was a obvious cash in with very little care for the actual content. It was so bad..

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 12th December 2022, 12:19 AM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 12th December 2022, 01:48 AM
Post #626
Group icon

I was at one of the preview shows (in fact it was the very first one) and I'll never forget that at one point I heard Jennifer Saunders burst out laughing at one particular part but literally nobody else in the room did, so whatever line she thought was funny really didn't translate at all!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th December 2022, 02:12 AM
Post #627
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 12 2022, 01:48 AM) *
I was at one of the preview shows (in fact it was the very first one) and I'll never forget that at one point I heard Jennifer Saunders burst out laughing at one particular part but literally nobody else in the room did, so whatever line she thought was funny really didn't translate at all!

blink.gif never understood why Jennifer got the gig. Like, I know why, but I don't get why they went with her at all. It was obviously a wrong move.

To be fair, in the beginning they had quite the team unsure.gif They had one of the most successful producers in the West End, one of the best female directors in theatre in Marianna Ellott from War Horse fame (the most successful and acclaimed National Theatre show in recent years) and a back catalogue that whilst limited, was incredibly successful and well known.

In theory, it should have worked. But they instead tried to recreate the ABBA musical from around the corner, without focusing on the unique and celebrate story of the Spice Girls and their music. I guess once Marianna Elliott left, it was a clear sign that things were not well in Viva Forever! world...

Jennifer Saunders is pretty well known for ruining the show with such terrible writing. It was quite shocking at points. 2 Become 1 was a joke, literally... one of the most recognised love songs in the world, which should have inspired a good writer to create a love story around it. Instead, it was literally a cheap laugh...

+Quote this post
Piers
post 12th December 2022, 06:55 AM
Post #628
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I never got to see the musical, so I can't weigh in on the Jennifer Saunders writing. But I did hear recordings of the songs...and even on that level, you could tell they were missing the point.

Say what you will about Mamma Mia!...but that show does nail it in an essential way; it understands the songs are the real star. Mamma Mia! is a terrific showcase of ABBA's music. My mom saw that show. She immediately wanted ABBA Gold for Christmas.

Viva Forever! didn't get that. Who Do You Think You Are is criminally brief. In the recordings I heard, the song kinda just fizzles to a close...and the audience seems unsure of whether to applaud. What should have been an obvious show stopper is fumbled. I agree with Mr. X that playing 2 Become 1 strictly for laughs is a mistake. I do think the Mama/Goodbye mashup works...but I still think it's a mistake. It's a group with basically 10 or so universally known singles. When the number's that small, I just wouldn't mash two of them into a version that the general public can't sing along to. My memory is that when the show first reached the stage, Say You'll Be There was a stripped down, piano-led version. I believe later in the show's run, it was amped up into a better version. But they should have known better than the earlier rendition. The show's version of Viva Forever is kinda pretty...but it treats the song as a non-event. I think a lot of the songs are sung by very talented people...but I don't think their hammy diva/theatrical singing style honestly suits some of the songs (Do It, for example). Meanwhile, it's Right Back At Ya that gets a genuine decent performance....but that's a song that only die-hard fans will know...and it's pretty debatable as to whether the released version is even a fan favorite. A lot of it was kinda...backwards.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th December 2022, 08:37 AM
Post #629
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

A very odd moment in Spice Girls history which has sadly been pretty much erased. There is nothing really to show for Viva Forever, no dvd recording, no soundtrack release.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 12th December 2022, 04:51 PM
Post #630
Group icon

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 12 2022, 08:37 AM) *
A very odd moment in Spice Girls history which has sadly been pretty much erased. There is nothing really to show for Viva Forever, no dvd recording, no soundtrack release.

I still have a Viva Forever merch pen that I bought for you laugh.gif kink.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 12th December 2022, 05:21 PM
Post #631
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I often wonder how it would've performed had it been a nationwide tour instead of West end only.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 12th December 2022, 05:53 PM
Post #632
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 12 2022, 05:51 PM) *

Pengirl 2.0

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 12th December 2022, 08:46 PM
Post #633
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 12 2022, 04:51 PM) *

Oh yeah I totally let you down and didn't go haha. Flop fan.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd February 2023, 06:21 PM
Post #634
Group icon

5 years ago today, 2nd February 2018, the last time we saw the 5 of them together...

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 2nd February 2023, 11:46 PM
Post #635
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Gosh, and we were never the same again wub.gif we got a short but sweet tour out of it and some fun promos.

At a point, it really looked like things were going to carry on and they would be an active band again with the announcement of the animated movie, the Channel 4 documentary series announcement, and the very extended rumours of expanding the tour, plus a heavily rumoured (cancelled) Netflix special documentary.

And then, as soon as the last notes of Spice Up Your Life were played at the final night at Wembley, it was pretty much a given that it was all canned and all plans were cancelled. A special interview with an Australian show to announce the tour was going to extend to Australia, was apparently filmed, with the hosts traveling to see the last Wembley show and interviewing them during the day, but then never aired. And then crickets...

I know that stuff was planned and then it all got cancelled due to COVID but it really was a heavy stop for a while from them. It still have whiplash from it all lol

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 2nd February 2023, 11:46 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd February 2023, 01:44 AM
Post #636
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Ah, the photo with the lines of coke in it! #iconic

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 3rd February 2023, 04:25 PM
Post #637
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 94,913

QUOTE(Amanda Hugginkis @ Feb 3 2023, 01:44 AM) *
Ah, the photo with the lines of coke in it! #iconic

w00t.gif After all, was that really coke ?? Lol

+Quote this post
tommie
post 3rd February 2023, 04:27 PM
Post #638
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Spice Girls coming right and exact, they ain't down with no crack (except for Emmar).

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 3rd February 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #639
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 2 2023, 11:46 PM) *
Gosh, and we were never the same again wub.gif we got a short but sweet tour out of it and some fun promos.

At a point, it really looked like things were going to carry on and they would be an active band again with the announcement of the animated movie, the Channel 4 documentary series announcement, and the very extended rumours of expanding the tour, plus a heavily rumoured (cancelled) Netflix special documentary.

And then, as soon as the last notes of Spice Up Your Life were played at the final night at Wembley, it was pretty much a given that it was all canned and all plans were cancelled. A special interview with an Australian show to announce the tour was going to extend to Australia, was apparently filmed, with the hosts traveling to see the last Wembley show and interviewing them during the day, but then never aired. And then crickets...

I know that stuff was planned and then it all got cancelled due to COVID but it really was a heavy stop for a while from them. It still have whiplash from it all lol

The 5 getting together was nothing to do with the tour. They signed for the annimated movie and with Simon for it. Put out the pic and statement to entice a studio/endorsements.

Of course what rolled in was tour offers, recording offers ect which Victoria was having non of and Mel C was still 5 or nothing. They all disagreed and fell out over it (again!) and it was all pretty much dead by early summer.

The Wembley offer came in and Mel C finally caved to doing something as a 4. Was much more viable to do more dates than just Wembley and the tour happened.

It was basically pure luck the 2019 tour happened. A brief moment where 4 of them agreed on something and took a leap of faith. As we have seen since 2008 that has happened twice in 15 years where they have managed to get to a point of a mutual agreement over an offer to perform.

I guess we just have to hope one of the offers that comes in that they endlessly discuss finally 4 or 5 of them actually agree on again.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 4th February 2023, 02:04 AM
Post #640
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

You qould think an animated series or movie would be a nice proposition for studios, even smaller ones.

+Quote this post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 07:12 PM