BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mel B - 'Hot', 2000 • 1st Album
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
tommie
post 14th April 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(vibe @ Apr 14 2020, 03:29 PM) *
But if they did we NS would not have been the success that it was .

It was released almost a year before Forever.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 14th April 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 14 2020, 04:04 PM) *
The girls should have pushed forever more and stayed with the campaign for much longer than they did.

I believe Mel B states in Catch a Fire that only she and Emma wanted to continue promotion. Victoria was more interested in recording her solo album and Mel C wasn't interested in continuing at all she had enjoyed a very successful year solo and was completely over being a Spice Girl.

Given the situation with Mel in 2000 I think it's a miracle they even got Forever out at all.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 14th April 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 14 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Course it was ! Duh lol

+Quote this post
vibe
post 14th April 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 14 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Course it was ! Duh lol

+Quote this post
Piers
post 18th April 2020, 04:16 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(vibe @ Apr 14 2020, 10:13 AM) *
Course it was ! Duh lol

I think what he's referring to is...Mel C already had an entire year of success with Northern Star. She'd toured it. Got hits. The album had run its course by the time Forever rolled around. And prioritizing If That Were Me over Holler was perhaps...an unusual thing to do after so much money had been spent on Forever (though the former song was for a good cause...)

+Quote this post
Piers
post 18th April 2020, 04:28 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Anyway. About Word Up. I loved Mel's version on first listen. Still love it now. I really love those early releases from Mel. I Want You Back, Word Up, and Sophisticated Lady seemed to imply we were getting a really cool album with a dark vibe. Interestingly, I think only Step Inside lives up to that vibe with the album release. The unreleased I've Got My Eye On You also has it.

However. I can't defend the video. I'm not offended by it...but I do think it's trying really, really hard to be crass. As soon as the monster with the dildo nose stops and farts...I'm kinda over it. There are a few images in it that I like. The foot stepping down and turning into the high heel boot is cool. But make no mistake. Even back in 1999, I didn't think the animation looked any good. This is the same year that gave us Busta Rhymes and Janet Jackson's What's It Gonna Be (by the same director of Mel's I Want You Back, no less). The Word Up video was not on par with 1999. It looked like an unfinished student film. And not one that'd get an A either. That one shot of the dildo monster running in place in the air is the sort of sloppy mistake that shouldn't have made it to air.

Anyway. Lots of mistakes were made with Hot. About half of its made of clunkers from collaborators who weren't even trying. But I do think I Want You Back, Tell Me, and Feels So Good are as good as anything from the solo Spice vault.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 18th April 2020, 07:46 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Mel B was heavily pregnant during word up so the video had no real choice but to be annimated.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 18th April 2020, 08:32 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(Piers @ Apr 18 2020, 04:28 AM) *
Anyway. About Word Up. I loved Mel's version on first listen. Still love it now. I really love those early releases from Mel. I Want You Back, Word Up, and Sophisticated Lady seemed to imply we were getting a really cool album with a dark vibe. Interestingly, I think only Step Inside lives up to that vibe with the album release. The unreleased I've Got My Eye On You also has it.

However. I can't defend the video. I'm not offended by it...but I do think it's trying really, really hard to be crass. As soon as the monster with the dildo nose stops and farts...I'm kinda over it. There are a few images in it that I like. The foot stepping down and turning into the high heel boot is cool. But make no mistake. Even back in 1999, I didn't think the animation looked any good. This is the same year that gave us Busta Rhymes and Janet Jackson's What's It Gonna Be (by the same director of Mel's I Want You Back, no less). The Word Up video was not on par with 1999. It looked like an unfinished student film. And not one that'd get an A either. That one shot of the dildo monster running in place in the air is the sort of sloppy mistake that shouldn't have made it to air.

Anyway. Lots of mistakes were made with Hot. About half of its made of clunkers from collaborators who weren't even trying. But I do think I Want You Back, Tell Me, and Feels So Good are as good as anything from the solo Spice vault.

Erm... calling Word Up video 'like a student film' is not the tea you think it is lol It's not a bad animation at all. As a film student, I can tell you the concepts and delivery of it were top notch. You might not like the look of it or the way the storyboard and narrative develops throughout but it's quite amazing in its abstract aesthetic decisions.

I would say it is definitely also one of the most interesting videos any of the girls ever released cheer.gif Probably not 'right' for a Spice Girls, whatever that means, and I agree that it is a bit crass, but you cant deny its quality ahah

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 18th April 2020, 12:00 PM
Post #49
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Apr 18 2020, 08:46 AM) *
Mel B was heavily pregnant during word up so the video had no real choice but to be annimated.

Mel had Phoenix 4 months before the release of Word Up, so I think it was more to do with maternity leave?

I’m interested to know more about the second video (the one Mel is actually in). Apparently it was shot in June 1999. Was it intended to replace the first video for worldwide airplay, or was it shot specifically for the US market? I feel like it was too late to shoot that video, to the point that it could be considered as a waste of time, taking into account that the movie was released in early June. I don’t know when or where the second music video premiered, but the Austin Powers film would have been a few weeks old and on its way out of cinemas, surely?

It’s a pity the timing was off, because I feel like the second video being ready well in advance of the single release might have raised its chances of going Top 10 in the UK, because it was far more airplay friendly. Did the first version even get much airplay? I could imagine that it only aired at night time?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 18th April 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 18 2020, 12:00 PM) *
Mel had Phoenix 4 months before the release of Word Up, so I think it was more to do with maternity leave?

I’m interested to know more about the second video (the one Mel is actually in). Apparently it was shot in June 1999. Was it intended to replace the first video for worldwide airplay, or was it shot specifically for the US market? I feel like it was too late to shoot that video, to the point that it could be considered as a waste of time, taking into account that the movie was released in early June. I don’t know when or where the second music video premiered, but the Austin Powers film would have been a few weeks old and on its way out of cinemas, surely?

It’s a pity the timing was off, because I feel like the second video being ready well in advance of the single release might have raised its chances of going Top 10 in the UK, because it was far more airplay friendly. Did the first version even get much airplay? I could imagine that it only aired at night time?

The second video was terrible ah and I think Mel mentioned in her biog that it was only for the US market as the label demanded it.

I lived in Portugal at the time and I saw the video on MTV all the time during the day - it had quite heavy rotation ah.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 18th April 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 18 2020, 06:00 AM) *

I'd love to know what was happening behind the scenes in regards to the solo Spices and their attempts to get play in the US. MTV News covered the solo Spices quite a lot...including some prominent features on I Want You Back and Word Up. I remember them airing a little interview with Mel and Mini Me on the set of the second video. However. I think MTV News is as far as anything ever got. I never saw the videos for I Want You Back or Word Up ever show up on MTV (though a few people have said I Want You Back made some appearances on BET).

Anyway. Madonna's Beautiful Stranger and Lenny Kravitz's American Woman were hits off that Austin Powers album...so...I guess they thought they'd try for another. With the Dr. Evil set at their disposal, I kinda wish they'd done something more interesting with the video. Though. I guess Mel's outfit does qualify as 'interesting'. It's like her team got together in a meeting and were like..."...we'll...uh...dress her up like a satellite...?"

And, yes. The performances are unfortunately dull. I guess Mel didn't think she was back in fighting shape at that point? Hard to say. She showed up to the Austin Powers premiere around that time in a shirt so thin she was practically topless. I thought she always looked great. It's a far cry from a few years later...when the girls would have a baby and be back doing interviews and hosting shows practically a week later.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 21st April 2020, 03:50 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

One more thought about this era.

Yes, it was self-sabotage for Hot to release just weeks before Forever.

But. I've always found the explanation behind that to be odd. Virgin had concerns about the release strategy but Mel pushed ahead anyway?

But. Like. Couldn't Virgin just stop her? It was obviously a waste of their money and resources. How'd Mel have that much power? It's not like Mel could just burn the CDs and stock them in the stores herself.

Anyway. That said, I do think she was right about Tell Me as the lead single. It's dynamic. It tackles her drama head-on. Song fits her like a glove. Fab video. Feels So Good ended up being the bigger hit (and I love that one too), but to me Tell Me was an excellent album launcher.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 21st April 2020, 05:20 AM
Post #53
Group icon

^ It does seem strange that Mel supposedly that level of power over Virgin, to dictate exactly when she wanted her album out... perhaps we don't know the full story there?

Mel was recording solo material in 1999, and apparently 'Hot' was finished by April 2000. I guess she was feeling impatient and wanted to get started with the 'Hot' era as soon as possible, but I find it strange that she was seemingly happy to run the risk of her own group overshadowing her first solo effort, and equally not giving 'Forever' her full commitment. I wonder if the other girls were at all annoyed by 'Hot' coming out so close to the group releases, or if they didn't think it was a problem/they weren't bothered.

I was thinking of an alternative timeline. Perhaps 'Tell Me' could still have been released in September 2000, but not as an album launcher (i.e. 'Hot' wouldn't have been out in October). Tell Me's main purpose could have been to serve as a reintroduction to the public that she was a solo artist... a teaser that there was more to come, but not quite yet. Releasing Tell Me as a stand alone would have scratched the itch she evidently had to release solo music, but without the pressure of making the album a success at the same time, and in close proximity to her comeback with the Spice Girls.

Then release 'Feels So Good' in February 2001, followed by the album a week afterwards. An album with a different name - maybe also 'Feels So Good'? With artwork that wasn't particularly risque, lol. In this scenario the album would have been preceded by two recent hits, and released in the less competitive Q1 market... this could have made things work out better for Mel. Follow it up with 'Hotter' in June 2001 and that would have been a great run of singles!

P.S. I've changed the topic title so it encompasses the entire 'Hot' era, considering that the conversation has strayed from 'Word Up' a few times. kink.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 9th May 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #54
Group icon

This thread now includes the music videos and the artworks in the first post!

Continue the discussion about the 'Hot' era here cool2.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 9th May 2020, 07:36 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Not a fave of mine she should've listened to Virgin aswell as Feels So Good is the best song on the album by a significant distance, it should've lead this album not Tell Me.

Best thing I can say about the album is she sounds good vocally. The material however just doesnt cut it.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 9th May 2020, 09:46 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I think this album isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It's better than Victoria's debut effort for sure and tbh I'd put it on par with A Girl Like Me. It has some real high moments and then some very average moments too.

The singles are all really strong, yes even Lullaby (although Hotter was a clear obvious next single choice). There was so much wrong about the album promotion though really, it should have been out a few months prior to it's release or saved for sometime during 2000. The gaps between singles seems really wrong. The order of release was wrong, Tell me as good as it is was too on the nose for a debut single from the album and FSG was stronger.

My strategy would have been something like this:

June - Feels so good released

June / July - Hot released

September - Tell me released

December - Hotter released (shit timing for the single being in December - but hopefully keeps the album afloat over Xmas)

March - Lullaby (to tie in with mothers day)

Not quite sure what totally went wrong with Lullaby. I get why it didn't totally appeal to the Spice fandom but I would expected it to be a sure fire top 10 at the very least for the time it was released.

My ranking of album

1. I want you back
2. Feels so good
3. Hotter
4. Tell me
5. Step inside
6. Lullaby
7. ABC 123
8. I believe
9. Pack your shit
10. Hell no
11. Feel me now

Ranking the album reminded me how much I actually do like it, I actually like all tracks on my ranking from 1-10 it's just 11 that I'm not keen on (I tend to end the album on pack your shit)

+Quote this post
Piers
post 23rd May 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

I've wondered how much Pack Your Shit ended up hurting the album...by getting it slapped with a Parental Advisory sticker. To me...that may have hurt it even more than the bikini cover. Granted, unleashing it weeks before Forever was the #1 problem. But at the same time...Mel's fanbase was still fairly young. It was only a year earlier people were clutching their pearls over Mel C saying 'whore' and 'bitch' on Goin Down. Mel B's like...hold my beer.

Granted, Mel was a grown woman. But I think you kind of have to understand your fanbase. I'm not sure being especially edgy ever paid off in a major way for any of the girls.

It's not that I'm offended by the song. But I do find its language to be a bit jarring in the context of the album. Nothing before it on Hot is in the same stratosphere.

I remember Mel claiming she was considering it for a single release in America, though. Dear...

+Quote this post
Piers
post 23rd May 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Anyway. Ranking the album, I'd probably go...

1. I Want You Back - Tell Me - Feels So Good (yeah, I'm giving them a three-way tie...so what...)
4. Step Inside
5. Hotter
6. Lullaby
7. Pack Your Shit
8. I Believe
9. Hell No
10. Feel Me Now
11. ABC123

Few thoughts. I think Hotter was the most obvious single after Feels So Good...but while I think it would chart better than Lullaby, I don't think it'd be the album savior some believe it would have been. I don't think it's as good as Tell Me or Feels So Good, and it'd need a punchier single mix. Sisqo fell out with Mel over her changing his songs' productions. So. Would be curious to hear his vision for the song...

Never really cared for most of Janet Jackson's meandering seductive songs...and that's exactly what Feel Me Now is to me.

I Believe in itself is an okay song...but it drags for waaay too long and is strangely redundant. It should have a minute to 90 seconds shaved off.

Out of all the songs on the girls' debut albums, I think ABC123 is the most generic, most anonymous. Generic is a problem for about half of Hot. Mel's personality was so distinct and bold, she shouldn't have been saddled with several songs that could have been handed to literally any random r'n'b singer.

In a certain way, I do think Hot represents Mel honestly. There's an effortless brilliance to some tracks...but they're weighed down with subpar material that came from rushed sessions and an artist who didn't have the patience to perfect the work. "Oh, hurry up. Release it, then."

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 23rd May 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ May 23 2020, 06:17 PM) *
Anyway. Ranking the album, I'd probably go...

1. I Want You Back - Tell Me - Feels So Good (yeah, I'm giving them a three-way tie...so what...)
4. Step Inside
5. Hotter
6. Lullaby
7. Pack Your Shit
8. I Believe
9. Hell No
10. Feel Me Now
11. ABC123

Few thoughts. I think Hotter was the most obvious single after Feels So Good...but while I think it would chart better than Lullaby, I don't think it'd be the album savior some believe it would have been. I don't think it's as good as Tell Me or Feels So Good, and it'd need a punchier single mix. Sisqo fell out with Mel over her changing his songs' productions. So. Would be curious to hear his vision for the song...

Never really cared for most of Janet Jackson's meandering seductive songs...and that's exactly what Feel Me Now is to me.

I Believe in itself is an okay song...but it drags for waaay too long and is strangely redundant. It should have a minute to 90 seconds shaved off.

Out of all the songs on the girls' debut albums, I think ABC123 is the most generic, most anonymous. Generic is a problem for about half of Hot. Mel's personality was so distinct and bold, she shouldn't have been saddled with several songs that could have been handed to literally any random r'n'b singer.

In a certain way, I do think Hot represents Mel honestly. There's an effortless brilliance to some tracks...but they're weighed down with subpar material that came from rushed sessions and an artist who didn't have the patience to perfect the work. "Oh, hurry up. Release it, then."

I agree with most of what you wrote. Mel's impatience in releasing it and the lack of apparent care and/or confidence from her was noticiable. Most of the songs weren't written by her and her personality is certainly missing from the album, at least the Mel we know: brash, cool and with her own vibe. I think the comparison to Janet Jackson is fair. It's obvious she was inspired by her but the result wasnt amazing.

For me, it is the least interesting debut overall, although it has some amazing tracks on it. I will never get tired of the singles (bar Lullaby) and Pack Your Shit and Feel Me Now are really good. The rest is dispendable and like you said, generic, unfortunately.

I also don't think Hotter would have done much for the album, unless it would have had a better single mix. It's a great album track, but it never screamed single for me. Maybe if they had done a remix that took the song to new hights (same approach as I Turn To You but obviously not that style), it would have been interesting.

Who knows.. I look forward to the Hot listening party w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 23rd May 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

I think the album was ok. It wasn’t up there with Geri and Melanie C’s debut albums but the singles run for Hot was great. I do think there were quite a few filler tracks, and as others have said, some of the songs lacked Mel’s personality as some of them could have belonged to anyone.

I didn’t think about the album release being so close to FOREVER at the time, but I don’t think it would have made any difference to either album, it just want good timing.

Feels So Good and Tell Me are some of the best solo singles.

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 12:17 PM