BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster', 2001 • 2nd Album / 22nd Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 30th April 2021, 02:40 PM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

This is how the singles should have gone =

'It's Raining Men'
'Strength of a Woman'
'Calling'
'Circles Round The Moon'
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 30th April 2021, 05:13 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 30 2021, 02:34 PM) *
Crickets sing is crap laugh.gif

I actually prefer Geri's version to the weather girls version, I find theirs very shrill wheres Geri's has some more bass and gutso to it.

Oh hun... Dissing Crickets Sing for AnaMaria as crap? Dissing the Weather Girls OG as shrill?....

better get that checked my love

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 30th April 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

Some anniversary stories, facts and charts coming soon on my Instagram ☺️

+Quote this post
Alberto!
post 30th April 2021, 11:27 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 39,843

QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Apr 30 2021, 07:30 PM) *
Some anniversary stories, facts and charts coming soon on my Instagram ☺️

And on Geri's stories, I saw heart.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st May 2021, 08:31 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Nina West @ Apr 30 2021, 03:40 PM) *
This is how the singles should have gone =

'It's Raining Men'
'Strength of a Woman'
'Calling'
'Circles Round The Moon'

I think this would have been a great singles run.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 2nd May 2021, 09:07 AM
Post #46
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I loved this album back when it came out, Heaven and Hell being my favourite at the time.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 14th May 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Scream If You Wanna Go Faster was released 20 years ago today! magic.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 14th May 2021, 10:16 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I vividly remember buying it on release day and listening to it on the bus home on my Discman wub.gif

I remember Circles Round the Moon standing out to me as a potential single right away.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th May 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #49
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I might need to revisit this album, but I remember Heaven and Hell being my favourite back in 2001.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 14th May 2021, 11:36 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

My Dad took me to Virgin Megastores in London to buy it. I remember being so excited as I never really got albums much as they were so expensive

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th May 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #51
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Wow, 20 years...

I was a little underwhelmed by the album at the time, to me it seemed partly middle of the road, partly uptempos that didn’t seem as strong as the Schizophonic era.

I keep meaning to give it another listen because it’s been years!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th May 2021, 07:17 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 30 2021, 06:13 PM) *
Oh hun... Dissing Crickets Sing for AnaMaria as crap? Dissing the Weather Girls OG as shrill?....

better get that checked my love

I never knew Emma had a role in that movie with Pamela!! w00t.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 6th October 2022, 08:37 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

I found on an old website a track by track from Geri on Scream.

Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
I had the title before I wrote the song. It just popped into my head – that happens to me all the time. It’s about seeking out a way to change your mood, get an adrenaline rush. We’re all chasing something that we think will fix us, whether it’s sex, shopping, fast cars, whatever. I wrote it with Rick Nowells and we just clicked. He really took on board my ideas. I’d been listening to Led Zeppelin, and I went in with this riff: ‘Give me some, give me some gasoline.’ It also introduces one of the themes of the album: the child within, the creative fun-loving person that gets conditioned out of us. I’m just such a big kid. We all are. And I don’t want to lose that. You can still be playful. Immaturity is a good thing.

Shake Your Bootie, Cutie
I wrote this with Gregg Alexander from New Radicals, and someone said that it’s the first song he’s written that doesn’t sound like a New Radicals record. You can tell who’s written what. He’s so the bridge, and I’m so the chorus. It’s inspired by a Ricky Martin concert I went to. I was doing a lot of running around my garden when I wrote these lyrics. I tend to get phrases from all sorts of places, without realising at first. So ‘shut up and dance’ I got from a dance record. ‘I’m Mr Big, baby can you dig?’ is from Mr Big in Sex In The City. Then there’s a rap on it that’s so Wham! George hasn’t heard it yet. I’m sure he won’t mind. I wrote verses when I was 16 years old and they’re still in my head.

Calling
To me this is the biggest track on the album. I’m really proud of it, because I think it’s some of the most mature writing I’ve done. The melody is really rich. It’s all about wanting.. romance, I suppose. I’m such a big romantic. I was looking at the moon in Ibiza, and I was thinking somewhere, someone is looking up at that moon, and that person is my soul-mate, with the same will and desires. It’s like a wish, an affirmation. I wrote this with Peter Vetesse, who is a genius on the piano. Some of the chords he came up with were amazing, which were really good for me to be inspired by and get melodies off.

Feels Like Sex
I said to the Absolute boys, ‘I want to write a record about sex.’ Because no one’s talked about sex for ages. But I wanted it to have a positive message. The chorus bridge is: ‘If the mood is rude, then you’ve got the right attitude/ you better get down, you don’t have to get undressed/ just because it feels like sex.’ You know when you get on top of someone, but you keep your clothes on? To me, that’s sexier. For me the anticipation of what’s to come is far sexier, and it’s safe sex as well.

Circles Round the Moon
I soak up whatever I’m reading at the time. I read all four of the Harry Potter books in one go, and off I went, completely obsessed. So this song is inspired by that. It’s just a loving song, a good MOR record for women. I write for women, and the gay guys come along for the ride. They’re the people I make my records for. And if anyone else comes along, then cool. Again, it’s romantic. My lyrics are never throwaway. Some are deep as a puddle, but then the next line will be so expressive.

Love Is the Only Light
I wrote this in my iamspamspamamiwith Jorgen Elofsson. This little girl asked to meet a ‘star’ – me – but I felt I met an angel. She looked like Audrey Hepburn, and she was waiting for a heart and lung transplant. I wrote it after seeing her a few times – I was really inspired, I felt strength from her. She had serenity. She knew she was here for a moment. And she was so smart. Then she died, and I was devastated. I was so angry with God. What I learned from it is, you have no control. There’s no point trying to manipulate relationships, work, anything – the only way to win is to give up the fight, and just go with it.

Strength of a Woman
I wrote this in the back of a taxi-cab in Los Angeles. This Iranian taxi was driving me like a nutter and I just wrote it in the back. I worked with Rick Nowells to make it sound really 60s. It had to go on the album because it’s all about my relationship with women, which is so important. The second verse goes ‘Hey girl I remember you, you’re not alone because I feel it too../ We’re running out of heroes, a good guy’s hard to find/ Mr Perfect Wonderful is not on my mind./ You’ve got to do it.’ We girls all think some guy’s going to come and fix us, we can’t help it. We live, love and learn, but we can’t do it alone. I can’t do it alone. I need female solidarity. I’ve really learned that. This is our song: the Serenity Sunday Sisterhood.

Don’t Call Me Baby
When I wrote this song in October 2000, I was in such a depressed mood. It’s a bitter-sweet song. It’s a cliché, but all that pain that some people – some men – cause me, I use productively. Thank God I can do that. Then the Madison track came out, and I was gutted. I thought about changing it to ‘Don’t Kill Me Baby’, which I thought was quite funny, but then I decided to stick with it. The Absolute boys produced it, but I knew how I wanted it to sound. I heard this David Bowie track on the radio, and I wanted it to sound as crusty as that. I wrote the chorus to the Spice Girls ‘Stop’, and for me this is the next song on from that.

Lovey Dovey Stuff
When I went to the Absolute boys and said I wanted to do a reggae song, they cringed. But I explored lots of different reggae beats, and came up with one that worked. The lyrics are very simple, sweet and intimate things about a partnership, but it’s also talking about the differences between boys and girls: ‘I do smooth and you do rough, I used to think that you are tough – but you’re not.’

It’s Raining Men
I loved Bridget Jones. I read both books. In fact I am Bridget Jones. So many of us are. So when they asked me to do this for the film, it was like a gift. I thought it was just for the soundtrack album, but then when they heard it, they wanted it to be a single. We were ready to go with ‘Feels Like Sex’ as the first single, but this was just such a great excuse to put leg-warmers on! And it’s fun. Normally doing a cover would be scary, but I do think this is as good if not better than the original. Steve Lipson has done a great job, and I love the string arrangement. We rushed the vocal, because they needed it really fast. It’s ironic: we spent a year of blood sweat and tears on my album, then put out a boshed-down vocal for my first single. The video was done really quickly too. I had this idea about Fame and Flashdance, because I was into Fame especially growing up. And we used directors [Jake & Jim] who’d never even worked with a big budget like this before. So it was quite a risk. But we totally pulled it off. I love giving new talent a chance they were editors in my Look At Me Video. They showed me what they’d done for seven thousand pounds and I was really impressed.

It’s Heaven It’s Hell (Being Geri Halliwell)
I wrote this with Jorgen Elofsson, who I worked with on ‘Love Is The Only Light’. One’s really spiritual, the other all about ego – you couldn’t get more opposite ends of the spectrum! He came up with the backing track and the concept. It was his idea, not mine. I sat in the vocal booth and just talked and talked about fame. It’s using my experiences to examine what it’s like being famous today. Rob [Williams] loves it. ‘Have a drink – alcoholic./ Grab your coat – shopaholic./ Have a bite – anorexic./ Intelligent? I’m dyslexic./ Feeling happy – Could be gay. / Maybe, not today./ So you think you want to be famous, so you think you want to drive my car/ Don’t you know you’ve got to be shameless if you want to be a star?/ 15 minutes show me what you’re made of/ 15 minutes what are you afraid of? / 15 minutes I’ll show you the trade-off / It’s heaven, it’s hell being Geri Halliwell.’

I Was Made That Way
This is a song to my audience, almost. It’s admitting my moods and contradictions, but saying I hope you love me anyway. But it’s also addressed to a man, to a partner. It’s a really lush little song that says, ‘I’m just like the weather/ Never the same / I can’t help it / I was made that way.’ And there’s another bit that says ‘when I say goodbye I want you to stay’. We all do that. I can’t say what I mean sometimes – I’m saying no but I mean yes. And I hope other women identify with that.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 6th October 2022, 11:06 PM
Post #54
Group icon

Thank you for sharing!

Funny to think that Shake Your Bootie Cutie and Melanie C's On the Horizon come from the same writer laugh.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 7th October 2022, 09:00 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Some interesting little tidbits thanx for sharing.

Its indeed a shame that she poured so much time, effort and creativity into this album for it now to be represented by her last minute cover of Its Raining Men. I am glad she chose that over Feels like Sex though which for me is in the bottom 3 tracks of this album. Her vocal on Its Raining Men may have been rushed but it sounds pretty good to me.

Calling is indeed a stellar track, I'm glad she got a chance to release it.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 7th October 2022, 01:41 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Calling is an excellent track really beautiful.

Still think Scream was a bad choice for single though, it works as an album opener but is a bit like NSAIG in that it is a weak single. FLS and SYBC are terrible otherwise I think it is a decent album.

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 7th October 2022, 03:45 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

Scream If You Wanna Go Faster sounds more like a Pink or Avril Lavigne single from 2002. Geri was always going to have a hard time getting hits past 2001 when RnB and hip-hop started to dominate top 40.

Pretty much all of the ballads and mid tempos on this album are excellent. The up-tempo songs are the weakest part of the album.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 7th October 2022, 04:01 PM
Post #58
Group icon

QUOTE(Sideout @ Oct 7 2022, 04:45 PM) *
The up-tempo songs are the weakest part of the album.

I agree with this! I feel that some of the uptempos were just too brash to ever be singles (Shake Your Bootie Cutie, Feels Like Sex, Heaven and Hell). I kind of understand the thinking of them going with Scream If You Wanna Go Faster because it offers uptempo but not in the same vein as the previous three songs listed... but I don't think that song really demonstrates where the strengths lies in this album.

I would maybe have gone with Circles Round the Moon?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 7th October 2022, 06:26 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Oct 7 2022, 05:01 PM) *
I would maybe have gone with Circles Round the Moon?

I was coming here to say, why did that song never get released?

It's so much better than both 'Scream' and 'Calling', I think it would have done better than both of them too. The Almighty remix of it is banging!

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 7th October 2022, 07:11 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

I probably would have released these as singles after It's Raining Men

Strength of a Woman
Circles Round The Moon
Don't Call Me Baby