BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Forever with solos - How would it sound?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
dromeda
post 5th January 2023, 04:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 94,913

I was making a Spice Girls playlist, wondering what a third album with solos would be like (as there were rumors at the time, before Geri left the group, that there might be solos on the third album).
So, Imagining an alternate reality where the girls never broke up and the solos would be content for the third album, what tracklist would you create based on the songs released around 1999/2001?

A few rules: The album must have 10 songs. You must choose 5 songs from Forever and 5 solo songs from the first solo albums only. A song for every spice girl. ( If you don't want to include Geri, the missing song can be replaced with an other song from forever)

I really liked how the result sounded. I wanted to know your opinion and what your choices would be like.

FOREVER ( with Geri )

1- Holler
2 - Right back at ya
3 - No Trix, No games
4- Let love Lead The Way
5 - Mi Chico Latino
6 - Hotter
7 - Never Be The Same Again
8 - If You Wanna Have Some Fun
9 - We re Not Gonna Sleep Tonight
10 - Goodbye

FOREVER ( without Geri )

1- Holler
2 - Right back at ya
3 - No Trix, No games
4- Let love Lead The Way
5 - Tell Me Why
6 - Hotter
7 - Never Be The Same Again
8 - If You Wanna Have Some Fun
9 - We re Not Gonna Sleep Tonight
10 - Goodbye

This post has been edited by dromeda: 5th January 2023, 05:14 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 5th January 2023, 08:40 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

Why only 10 songs? Forever has 11 songs. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 5th January 2023, 09:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

To keep the same idea as the previous two albums. Forever would only have 10 songs - Goodbye was put in there as a bonus. It doesn't match the rest of the album.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 5th January 2023, 10:09 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Holler would never have happened if Geri had stayed in the group, she couldn't have done the dance and style that was required for it. A 3rd album in 1998 would definitely have been much more poppier ala Spiceworld than with the RnB tones of Spice.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 6th January 2023, 12:00 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

I don’t think it could have happened.

But just for the fun of it, these are my favourites:

Holler
Pain Proof
Get Down With Me
Let Love Lead The Way
Mi Chico Latino
What Took You So Long
I Want You Back
Like That
Northern Star
Goodbye

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 6th January 2023, 04:45 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jan 5 2023, 10:09 PM) *
Holler would never have happened if Geri had stayed in the group, she couldn't have done the dance and style that was required for it. A 3rd album in 1998 would definitely have been much more poppier ala Spiceworld than with the RnB tones of Spice.

I always saw Schizophonic as the album that would most closely resemble a third album as 5 piece. Songs like Lift Me Up, Walk Away, Mi Chico Latino, Goodnight Kiss and Bag it Up are 100% Spice Girls music. Bag It Up is almost a version 2 of WDYTYA. Goodnight Kiss sounds a lot like Too Much, by the way.

This post has been edited by dromeda: 6th January 2023, 04:55 PM

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 6th January 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

QUOTE(McAndrew @ Jan 6 2023, 12:00 AM) *

Holler
Pain Proof
Get Down With Me
Let Love Lead The Way
Mi Chico Latino
What Took You So Long
I Want You Back
Like That
Northern Star
Goodbye

Like That goes well with Forever. No Trix No Game too. Victoria's album is the one that best matches the Forever tracklist. I haven't listened to her album in a long time, it used to be my least favorite. Listening to it again, these two songs have aged well

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 6th January 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

QUOTE(McAndrew @ Jan 6 2023, 12:00 AM) *

Holler
Pain Proof
Get Down With Me
Let Love Lead The Way
Mi Chico Latino
What Took You So Long
I Want You Back
Like That
Northern Star
Goodbye

Like That goes well with Forever. No Trix No Game too. Victoria's album is the one that best matches the Forever tracklist. I haven't listened to her album in a long time, it used to be my least favorite. Listening to it again, these two songs have aged well

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 6th January 2023, 10:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

QUOTE(dromeda @ Jan 6 2023, 04:45 PM) *
I always saw Schizophonic as the album that would most closely resemble a third album as 5 piece. Songs like Lift Me Up, Walk Away, Mi Chico Latino, Goodnight Kiss and Bag it Up are 100% Spice Girls music. Bag It Up is almost a version 2 of WDYTYA. Goodnight Kiss sounds a lot like Too Much, by the way.

Agree with all of this. Mix Schizophonic with some of the leaked 1999 demos and that would have been 1999’s album #3!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 6th January 2023, 10:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jan 6 2023, 10:29 PM) *
Agree with all of this. Mix Schizophonic with some of the leaked 1999 demos and that would have been 1999’s album #3!

I am not sure some of the lyrics would have happened as Spice Girls songs though.. like Lift me up, I can definitely see the melody / music being a Spice Girls song but not the lyrics. Same for Bag it up.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 6th January 2023, 11:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jan 6 2023, 10:47 PM) *
I am not sure some of the lyrics would have happened as Spice Girls songs though.. like Lift me up, I can definitely see the melody / music being a Spice Girls song but not the lyrics. Same for Bag it up.

This. Personally I never seen it being what the fans call the 3rd album.

I think it is more to do with the fans' resentment over Forever and how that whole era panned out at the time. Geri tried to replicate the Spice formulas but wildly missed the mark (in my opinion).

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 6th January 2023, 11:54 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

QUOTE(dromeda @ Jan 6 2023, 04:53 PM) *

Very true that VB’s sound was more in line with the direction of the group at the time. But for me, I preferred when the group mixed genres a bit. As every single took us in a new direction.

The idea of a third album campaign that started with a couple of group singles and ended up launching solo careers could’ve been very exciting though.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 7th January 2023, 12:01 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I look on most of Schizophonic as a very personal to just Geri record.

Look at Me, Mi Chico Latino, Lift Me Up, Walkaway, Sometime, Let Me Love You, Someones Watching Over Me and You're in a Bubble are pure Geri solo. They wouldn't work as group songs imo

The rest of the album could maybe be adapted to group. Bag It Up could certainly have been a Spice Girls single and yeah Goodnight Kiss has a feel of being the sequel to Too Much.

+Quote this post
engineer
post 7th January 2023, 01:02 AM
Post #14
Group icon
New Entry
User: 40,315

Look at Me
Lift Me Up
Walkaway
Mi Chico Latino
Goodnight Kiss
Bag It Up
A Day In Your Life
Give you what you want
Someone's Watching Over Me
Goodbye
biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 7th January 2023, 03:13 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

😂😂
In this case, I would trade Look at Me to Woman.

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 7th January 2023, 03:23 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jan 6 2023, 11:45 PM) *
This. Personally I never seen it being what the fans call the 3rd album.

I think it is more to do with the fans' resentment over Forever and how that whole era panned out at the time. Geri tried to replicate the Spice formulas but wildly missed the mark (in my opinion).

Sure. Even the canceled pop songs from 1999 are far from the style of the previous albums. They tried to follow the trend of the time, which was the pop style of Britney and Backstreet Boys. And for some unknown reason someone said: “forget pop, follow the RnB trend, change the image..” What feels wrong about that time is that many things were left unexplained. As fans, we were afraid of the end, doubt about the paths they would follow as a group, we were enjoying the new image but things were strange. The media was tired of them, wanted to get rid of them. The solos came with a bitter sweet taste. There was a rivalry between the fans to choose which one would get a better position, and honestly everyone was wanting the group to continue in parallel - which was obviously impossible. In 1999 and 2000 Melanie C was the only one who maintained a solo career with the group and the result was disastrous for her: anxiety and depression. I see the Forever era as a special unfinished chapter. First the promised and awaited pop album that never happened. The long-awaited tour that never happened. Bad promotion on top of a controversial album. And an “ending” that has haunted many fans for years to come. No wonder why Forever still causes so much fantasies. The “What if…” era.

This post has been edited by dromeda: 7th January 2023, 03:26 AM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th January 2023, 11:18 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(dromeda @ Jan 7 2023, 03:23 AM) *
Sure. Even the canceled pop songs from 1999 are far from the style of the previous albums. They tried to follow the trend of the time, which was the pop style of Britney and Backstreet Boys. And for some unknown reason someone said: “forget pop, follow the RnB trend, change the image..” What feels wrong about that time is that many things were left unexplained. As fans, we were afraid of the end, doubt about the paths they would follow as a group, we were enjoying the new image but things were strange. The media was tired of them, wanted to get rid of them. The solos came with a bitter sweet taste. There was a rivalry between the fans to choose which one would get a better position, and honestly everyone was wanting the group to continue in parallel - which was obviously impossible. In 1999 and 2000 Melanie C was the only one who maintained a solo career with the group and the result was disastrous for her: anxiety and depression. I see the Forever era as a special unfinished chapter. First the promised and awaited pop album that never happened. The long-awaited tour that never happened. Bad promotion on top of a controversial album. And an “ending” that has haunted many fans for years to come. No wonder why Forever still causes so much fantasies. The “What if…” era.

Absolutely. It felt like there was so much unfinished business during that time, no wonder people see the album in quite bittersweet ways.

I still mantain that the solos killed the group and continue to do so today. I would trade every single one of their solo adventures for another Spice album. Sadly, I don't think it will ever happen again.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 7th January 2023, 05:27 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I've always thought a lot of the solo material *could* have been group songs. Whether that solo material is good enough for the group's standards is a whole other conversation. But could they have pulled off a lot of the solo songs? To me...they could. I think the major exceptions would be the edgier Mel B songs...and the more serious Mel C songs (which do honestly make up a lot of her discography). The group couldn't pull off, say, Why or Goin Down...though it would be hilarious to see how Victoria would handle herself on stage for the latter.

I guess it depends on what you view as making a Spice Girls song. I don't think genre has to be too specific. I think the song has to have a certain air of positivity...with a strong chorus. That encompasses a lot of the solo material. I just think the songs would have to be grouped into different album eras. A 1999 pop album could contain some of the Schizophonic songs. A Forever r'n'b album could follow to include, say, Never Be The Same Again, Feels So Good, and I Wish. A guitary pop album could follow that...and lead with What Took You So Long.

Quite a few of these songs are already structured like group tracks. Feels So Good, in particular, has little call and response moments (lovin you, lovin you...is the easy part) that different girls could easily slot into. Never Be The Same Again kinda does too. Mel C does the opening verses. Emma does "c'mon c'mon". Mel B does "nothin ventured, nothing gained". I'm sure Mel C would have rather croaked than give that song to the group. But would a Spice Girls track that good featuring Left Eye be a guaranteed number 1? Well, yeah.

Anyway. That's a lot of "what ifs". The reality is that the pop landscape was about to get a lot more crowded in 1999...and their dominance was going to get challenged no matter what their output was. But! It is a little interesting to wonder how many more hits they could have racked up if they had the best of the solo tracks in their arsenal.

+Quote this post
dromeda
post 7th January 2023, 07:57 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

From my point of view they should have ended things decently. Why change styles if they knew the group was breaking up? Here in Brazil there is a saying: Don't mess with a winning team. They had it all, the only thing they were supposed to do was the same old stuff. They should have released a third pop album, two or three singles and played a few shows, a short European tour and done. They should have released Woman as a celebration single, the clip would have shown their entire trajectory. Holler's pop version should be very interesting and would make a great second single. A documentary to wrap things up where they would do an assessment of everything they've achieved, everything about Geri's departure and her importance in the group, backstage of the last tour and of course the official release of the last show. At the end they could oficially take a break and then venture into solos. The fans would have understood and the solos would have received more support. Their legacy would have been much better. There was a lack of intelligence at that time.

The fact is that this lack of intelligence has lasted until today. The 2019 tour should have officially been released on streaming, Netflix.. whatever. We should have a box full of unreleased songs, demos, good remixes and the relaunch of the old shows. But, of course, this would never happen to the best girl group in history, right? I don't think we'll ever get to a full circle.

This post has been edited by dromeda: 7th January 2023, 08:00 PM

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 7th January 2023, 09:08 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(dromeda @ Jan 7 2023, 09:57 PM) *
Holler's pop version

Is there even such a thing in existence? thinking.gif