BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Ranking the new series episodes, Worst to best, 108 stories... // back for a 2018 update
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post 24th April 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Lmao at Funky Dory being your top Rachek Stevens cd!! You don't listen to that still??

Also River Song's figurine looks like one of an Estonian prostitute.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th April 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #42
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

River Song definitely looks off laugh.gif

Love all the classic characters there as well though!!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 24th April 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #43
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Oh and just because:

Series 2 (Tennant and Rose were the ultimate pair for me, and nearly every episode (two very obvious exceptions aside) is amazing and that final double bill omg)
Series 3 (The Dalek two parter aside, this was mainly great across the board)
Series 4 (Still not a fan of Donna rlly, but it was a high quality series in general)
Series 1 (Has aged really well for what it is and Eccleston really was a great Doctor that should've stayed longer)
Series 9 (The best in a long time actually, the Clara/Doctor stuff wasn't as in your face and there were some real standout episodes)
Series 5 (Matt Smith is the clear weak link in the three Doctors I've seen alas so this was when I started losing interest, it was a decent series, but felt a bit of a letdown after four)
Series 7 (Had it's moments, but a bit sub-par/unmemorable and too much Clara)
Series 6 (Wayyy too much of that River Song bollocks, I'm still not entirely sure what the point of all of it was)
Series 8 (Just a very unmemorable series, a glance at the episodes shows I'd go back to about three of them about a push, they got Capaldi really wrong here in retrospect)

I'm not gonna try and deny my bias here, the first four series were some of the best TV I'd seen and it was compulsive viewing. It hasn't lost me yet though despite varying quality over the years.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 24th April 2017, 06:51 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th April 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #44
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Ooh Froot, you've reminded me to mention that I'll also be taking time to talk about SJA, as well as Torchwood and Class, along the countdown, and talk about the best and worst story from each biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Tippin Virginia @ Apr 24 2017, 07:48 PM) *
Lmao at Funky Dory being your top Rachek Stevens cd!! You don't listen to that still??

Also River Song's figurine looks like one of an Estonian prostitute.

! I've not played the album since 2012 according to my last.fm x

River Song's figure is terrible, the hair looks like a wig mellow.gif they fixed it a bit on later editions though :')

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th April 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #45
Group icon

QUOTE(Klaus @ Apr 24 2017, 07:50 PM) *
River Song definitely looks off laugh.gif

Love all the classic characters there as well though!!

Unfortunately they've not made many of the classic companions sad.gif would love for them to at least make a few more so Hartnell, Troughton and McGann can have someone laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 24th April 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Voyage of the Damned >>>>>>>

+Quote this post
Slick
post 24th April 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #47
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

1. Series 4
2. Series 2
3. Series 3
4. Series 6
5. Series 1
6. Series 7
7. Series 9
8. Series 5
9. Series 8

I've done this very quickly - each series varies wildly from episode to episode so if I properly thought about it, I'd be here forever. But generally, this is a good indicator. I thought Series 9 really was very strong but it's perhaps too early to rank it any higher than this.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th April 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #48
Group icon

103 Nightmare in Silver
Series 7, Episode 12
Doctor: Eleventh
Companion: Clara Oswald

Nightmare in Silver sees the Doctor and Clara take Angie and Artie, the kids Clara babysits, on a trip in the TARDIS to a theme park in space. The park is closed down when they arrive, and they run into a man called Webley, who shows him his collection of alien artefacts, including deactivated harmless Cybermen. Instead of going home, the Doctor opts to investigate some small silver insects, which turn out to be Cybermites that reactivate the Cybermen, who then partially convert Webley, Angie and Artie. After an attack from the Cybermen, the Doctor puts Clara in charge of the troops on site, as they are revealed to be incompetent, sent out as a punishment, while he goes to rescue Angie and Artie. To save them, the Doctor is partially upgraded himself, and opts to play a chess match with the "Cyber-Planner" in his mind. The army struggle to fight off the Cybermen, who are newly upgraded themselves and can repair problems immediately, but Clara and the troops' lives are spared as the Cyber-Planner uses the resources of the entire army to help it win the chess match, therefore rendering the army useless. The Doctor uses a hand pulser to remove the Cyber-Planner, and Clara rejoins him. A worker on the site called Porridge is recognised by Angie as the emperor, after she saw his picture in Webley's museum, and they are transported to a nearby ship before a bomb blows up the millions of Cybermen on the planet.

The issue with this is that the actual Cybermen don't feel totally utilised. The chess match takes up a lot of the time and it's ultimately pointless when neither the Doctor nor the Cyber-Planner actually win it. The new Cybermen are interesting but as of yet, I don't think they've had a proper chance to shine. In fact I don't think the Moffat era's utilised the Cybermen well at all, but more on that later. Ultimately this is one that just doesn't really work for me.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 24th April 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #49
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Yeah the Cyberman were not utilised well in this episode at all sad.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th April 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #50
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

The problem with the new Cybermen is that the fact they can constantly upgrade to defeat a weakness means that they themselves are completely undefeatable. It means that we're left with bad solutions in both 'Nightmare im Silver' and the Series 8 two parter.

'Nightmare in Silver' was quite a mess of an episode and was similar to 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' in that there were two many secondary characters. The kids in particular were AWFUL, both horrendously written and acted. So pleased that they never returned! The plot itself had so much potential, with it being on this old theme park world but it just became so dull & dry, especially when it resulted in a game of chess.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 24th April 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #51
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Yeah the Nightmare In Silver was an absolute mess :/ Placing the two kids at the centre of the episodes was an awful idea.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 24th April 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #52
Group icon
electric butterflies

Nightmare in Silver *poop emoji*

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 24th April 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #53
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

In general, they haven't really done the Cybermen justice since new Who in the same way as the Daleks, that one is definitely a glaring example of that. They may as well not have been there for how much impact they actually had :/

+Quote this post
Slick
post 24th April 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon
electric butterflies

After all of this time I think it's very hard to make the Daleks or the Cyberman a convincing threat. The last time the Cybermen were properly used, they played a crap second fiddle to Missy (which tbf, pretty much ANY villain would.)

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th April 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I didn't even BOTHER watching that episode. Missed a lot of that crap season tbh.

OMG at the season 8 finale. TRASH end.

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th April 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #56
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

didn't like that episode either. the kids were pointless and awful and whilst Matt Smith did a good job of playing the two sides of the doctor that part did drag, and there have been better cyberman episodes.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th April 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #57
Group icon

I think the last time I felt the Cybermen were particularly well utilised was Army of Ghosts / Doomsday laugh.gif although the short sequence of the one-armed Cyberman chasing Amy in The Pandorica Opens was pretty cool. The difference between any of the others since then, and Nightmare in Silver, is the surrounding plot. It's just messy in this one sadly.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th April 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #58
Group icon

102 The Rings of Akhaten
Series 7, Episode 7
Doctor: Eleventh
Companion: Clara Oswald

Froot asked and he (eventually) received magic.gif The Rings of Akhaten sees Clara's first proper outing in the TARDIS, so he takes her to an alien marketplace on the Rings of Akhaten, where they can observe a series of planetoids orbiting a planet, with a pyramid on one of them. Clara learns that the currency in this marketplace is "sentimental items", which appalls Clara at first. She gets separated from the Doctor and bumps into a little girl, Merry Galel, the Queen of Years, who is running away because she has to sing a song at a ceremony and is afraid of getting it wrong. After offering some words of comfort to her, Merry heads to the ceremony. The Doctor and Clara attend the ceremony, where the Doctor explains that a constant song is sung to keep an angry god asleep. As Merry sings, a beam of light envelopes her and she is pulled towards the pyramid ahead by an awakening mummy. The Doctor and Clara buy a space moped from the marketplace, using Clara's mother's ring as payment, and head to the pyramid. As they try to leave the pyramid with Merry, a group of creatures called the Vigil arrive. The Doctor manages to hold them in place long enough for Clara and Merry to escape the throne room, but the mummy breaks free and is revealed to be Akhaten itself. The Doctor faces the creature when he arrives back at the ceremony, realising it feeds off feelings and memories, and tries to overfeed it with the amount of Time Lord memories he has. This doesn't work, so Clara offers Akhaten the leaf that led to her parents meeting for the first time, and Akhaten implodes on itself with the amount of infinite potential it had, due to her mother's death when Clara was a teenager.

I had to look up a lot of this plotline as it's not an episode I've rewatched a great deal, and I found it pretty hard to condense the summary into a smaller paragraph strangely. Despite the fact there's a lot going on, it weirdly feels like the episode never really GOES anywhere. The threat never feels totally realised, and whilst it's good to learn some of Clara's backstory, the fact a simple leaf can overpower the Doctor's hundreds of years of memories feels ultimately very silly. There's not really much of a supporting cast to invest in either - it has the exact opposite problem to Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - and there's not much of a plot to make up for this. I'm not even sure there's much I could suggest to improve it really, just a pretty weak episode overall.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 25th April 2017, 01:30 AM
Post #59
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

That was AWFUL. Another love saves the day. Ugh.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 25th April 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #60
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

What an atrocious episode. It was laughably awful and one of the worst solutions they've ever had in Doctor Who.

+Quote this post

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:16 AM