BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Siobhan Donaghy \ Ghosts - A Decade On
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 19th August 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Can you freaking believe it? Ghosts is a decade old! ohmy.gif

^full album

2007 was a fab year to be a Sugababes fan with Mutya, Siobhan and 3.0 all releasing in the same year.

Released on June 25th 2007, fun fact - the day after I turned 18, Siobhan's sophomore album peaked at 92 but received universal acclaim from critics. Remaining a masterpiece of pop a decade on, how do y'all feel about it?

Don't Give It Up - https://vimeo.com/23927204

So You Say

This whole era's aesthetic was utterly magnificent. Don't Give It Up's video in particular is just sublime. I really think she could rerelease this now (same videos) and it would fell current rather than a decade old. It was just so far ahead of it's time, it's a criminal shame this album was overlooked because it's spectacular.

My absolute favourites are Don't Give It Up, Ghosts, Medevac & 12 Bar Acid Blues. All 4 are proper 11/10 moments.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post 20th August 2017, 04:23 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Both this and Revolution in me needed to be released about two years later... Revolution In Me 15 (!!!) years old next year. Time flies!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th August 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Ghosts could have been rereleased at any point over the past decade. It criminally underperformed.

With the name saga dragging on I say that they should rerelease it now while Siobhan is on Matt leave. It's not as if she actually needs to do anything with videos already filmed. A wee push for Don't Give It Up and tack a few unreleased tracks onto the album and boom suddenly the babes are semi-relevant again

+Quote this post
breezyspice
post 7th September 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 39,572

Siobhan is my favorite female vocalist, like ever. She is magical.

12 Bar Acid Blues would be my karaoke jam if a) I could sing and b) even liked karaoke.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 14th September 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

QUOTE(breezyspice @ Sep 7 2017, 07:32 PM) *
Siobhan is my favorite female vocalist, like ever. She is magical.

12 Bar Acid Blues would be my karaoke jam if a) I could sing and b) even liked karaoke.

or c) if there ever was a karaoke version of it out there laugh.gif

Love this album! SO underrated it hurts.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 16th September 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Queen of Soon

We should petition Siobhan tbh.

It would be amazing at karaoke!!

Weirdly it's my go to when travelling for good luck laugh.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 22nd May 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

One of the most underrated pop albums ever by one of the most underrated, underserved and forgotten British artists ever? I think so. Just a victim of being an artist releasing in the wrong era of the music industry — she could have easily been one of those acclaimed pop artists that the indie crowd support via social media and keep afloat with gigs.

It kills me, with all that potential, knowing she didn't make another album.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 22nd May 2021, 10:44 AM
Post #8
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I’ve said it before but Ghosts is one of my all time favourite albums. I’d love a deluxe/anniversary edition with a lot of bonus material. The b-sides, the unreleased songs, she could easily make it 20 tracks. That’s an additional 8 to the standard 12. Hopefully next year for the 15 year anniversary.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 22nd May 2021, 10:52 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Defo agree Blacksquare. She is criminally underrated as an artist and Ghosts is in particular. It’s still a spectacular masterpiece of an album

It’s got such a timeless sound to it. Listening to it now, literally, it just doesn’t sound like it’s 14 years old. Theres a lot of acclaimed artists that get a lot of media attention and love from the public that aren’t even 1% as good as Ghosts is. Not even being hyperbolic for once. It’s a remarkable piece of work.

I did read once that Siobhan said she wouldn’t record a third solo record because she’d never be able to better ghosts and tbh I get it.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 22nd May 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

I can only echo what has been said before, this is a true masterpiece and probably one of my favourite albums of all time. Like blacksquare, I also believe this fell victim to being released in the wrong time. I am sure it would have done so much better in the streaming/ social media era. Of course I don't see this becoming a chart smash, as it's a bit too out there for commercial radio, but it would have been way easier for music fans to find her. 2007 was a strange time in music, just between the decline of physical sales and the start of heavy social media and later streaming.

At the same time, I do appreciate it being such a hidden gem and it's always lovely to see people who know it coming together as everyone LOVES it.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 22nd May 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Agree with all of the above

This was such an amazing album. Good single choices (although gutted Medevac never got its chance)

It frustrated me so much that critics loved it but ultimately no-one bought it.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 22nd May 2021, 02:50 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Herbs @ May 22 2021, 02:22 PM) *
Agree with all of the above

This was such an amazing album. Good single choices (although gutted Medevac never got its chance)

It frustrated me so much that critics loved it but ultimately no-one bought it.

Another example of it being an album released at the wrong time — acclaim gets you an international audience that will support you these days.

I think she just dealt with too much mistreatment from major labels and the industry in general to carry on, but I would have loved to see what she could have done with different producers on an indie. You just know she would have been in her element experimenting outside of mainstream constraints.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 22nd May 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

QUOTE(blacksquare @ May 22 2021, 03:50 PM) *
Another example of it being an album released at the wrong time — acclaim gets you an international audience that will support you these days.

I think she just dealt with too much mistreatment from major labels and the industry in general to carry on, but I would have loved to see what she could have done with different producers on an indie. You just know she would have been in her element experimenting outside of mainstream constraints.

Totally and a third album would have allowed us to see further growth

One song I am gutted is not on Spotify is Don’t Take Me Back

I can’t think of a better b-side!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 22nd May 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Brilliant album! With a better record label and promo, with perhaps more indie music like Florence being out, it would have been a historic album. But alas...

+Quote this post
Silas
post 22nd May 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I wonder if, after the 8th/2nd Sugababes album if we will see some solo work from them. She did say at the time of the 10th anniversary she wanted to mark it but was too late to do something so maybe after OT(20) there will be some support for her to do a reissue of Ghosts

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 24th May 2021, 12:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Ghosts is the album I'd most like to be issued on vinyl so I can have it in my collection. I feel it would sell well too if she did it, it's got the small but diehard fanbase who would happily pay for it.

Preferably with Styfling and Don't Take Me Back on it too happy.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th May 2021, 06:32 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 24 2021, 12:25 PM) *
Ghosts is the album I'd most like to be issued on vinyl so I can have it in my collection. I feel it would sell well too if she did it, it's got the small but diehard fanbase who would happily pay for it.

I kind of hope that the Plastic Pop label that's putting out Sophie Ellis-Bextor's album on vinyl would do it. It would complete my Ghosts collection with the Don't Give It Up + So You Say vinyls.

I normally don't collect vinyl though tbh. The One Touch vinyl is the first purchase I've done in years on vinyl tbh.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th May 2021, 06:43 AM
Post #18
Group icon
---

Would there be enough interest for a Ghosts rate? There seems to be a lot of love for it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 25th May 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Yeah I reckon so!

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 25th May 2021, 11:21 AM
Post #20
Group icon
---

I think it’d be great, if the b-sides are on Spotify or Apple Music or YouTube they could be added.

Or it could be kept exclusively to the 12 album tracks.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:03 PM