BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Marvin Gaye family awarded $7m in 'Blurred Lines' dispute, Absolutely ridiculous!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 11th March 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Riser @ Mar 11 2015, 04:38 PM) *
Even worse is that the ruling happened yesterday, which was Robin Thicke's birthday. What a day to lose $7 million sad.gif

But him and Pharrell have lost $7 million between them, right?

According to another article I read they each made about $5 million from it, so they have essentially lost most of the revenue.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 11th March 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

As others have said the only similarity between both songs is the beat, or more broadly the production style. But if that's enough grounds to call copyright infringement, then the past two years of retro-sounding songs have no right to exist (except for "Get Lucky" which is granted immunity by the presence of Nile Rodgers), and I fully expect every R&B producer in the past year to empty their pockets at DJ Mustard's doorstep.

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 11th March 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

You know what, I'm not a lawyer nor a musicologist so I can't comment on whether the resemblance between the songs crosses the legal threshold (especially in a foreign country).

All I can say is that when I first heard 'Blurred Lines' I thought it was so similar to 'Got To Give It Up' that I was genuinely surprised when I later found it wasn't a credited sample. I don't know whether I'm in a minority on Buzzjack in having been familiar with the Marvin Gaye song first, or whether that makes any difference.

Can't say I'll be shedding a lot of tears for Robin Thicke anyway.

+Quote this post
Ethan
post 11th March 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #24
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269

Ludicrous ruling wacko.gif ~ although no doubt this legal wrangling will rumble on for years to come laugh.gif

+Quote this post
burning up!
post 11th March 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,139

sell, the song itīs obviously marvin gayes songīs cousing, so...but I think itīs strange they didnīt them before the song was released

+Quote this post
burning up!
post 11th March 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,139

and I also remembered blurred lines is very similar to madonnaīs give it 2 me,did she pay marvinīs familly too?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th March 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Mar 11 2015, 04:58 PM) *
The US appeals process being such that it is almost guarantee's the settlement will be quashed, if not the actual copyright infringement. For what it's worth (and as someone who had never heard the Gaye song before) if you listen to both as instrumentals then they are essentially identical. There is sampling, or paying homage to a song, but this is pretty much taking a previous song and redoing it with modern production.

I agree, though as a trend-setter it's important it sticks: otherwise anyone not wanting to pay a fee for sampling (and this happens all the time in modern music, you know, just pay up) can just recreate it and steal someone else's work. Copying a drum rhythm or a bassline is one thing, as long as it's integrated into something new, but doing it just to avoid paying copyright for a sample is dumb. Big fan of Pharrell, but hey, I thought it was an actual sample when I heard it there is so little difference.

Reminds me of the Verve and the furore over Bittersweet Symphony. They also lost, as Jagger and Richards took the view that it was their song, albeit in an orchestral version, that formed the backbone of the track. Which it did.

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 11th March 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

In fairness to The Verve, they did make some effort to clear the sample (even original pressings of the single acknowledge the sampled track and credit the song to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft) but apparently whoever's job it was to do that hadn't done it properly so the publishers or the Stones' infamous ex-manager Allen Klein could claim that it hadn't been cleared properly and thus sue.

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 11th March 2015, 11:57 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

Other artists who 'got away with it' (assuming there were no secret out-of-court settlements):

Jam - Start rips off Beatles - Taxman
Barndance Boys - Yippie-I-Oh rips off Tell Me Ma (hit version was by Sham Rock, although the song is much older)
Crazy Elephant - Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' rips off Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'
E'Voke - Runaway rips off N-Trance - Set You Free
September - Cry For You (re-mix) rips off Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Beyonce - Crazy In Love rips off Chi-Lites - Are You My Woman (Tell Me So)
Lady Gaga - Born This Way rips off Madonna - Express Yourself
Flo Rida - Right Round rips off Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
Flo Rida - Sugar rips off Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Be Dee)
Girls Aloud - Life Got Cold rips off Oasis - Wonderwall

And some who weren't so lucky:
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord plagiarised Chiffons - He's So Fine
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love plagiarised Muddy Waters - You Need Love
Paul Hardcastle - 19 plagiarised part of Tubular Bells, leading to Mike Oldfield receiving a writing credit

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 12th March 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #30
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

QUOTE(paulgilb @ Mar 11 2015, 11:57 PM) *
Other artists who 'got away with it' (assuming there were no secret out-of-court settlements):

Beyonce - Crazy In Love rips off Chi-Lites - Are You My Woman (Tell Me So)
Flo Rida - Right Round rips off Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
Flo Rida - Sugar rips off Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Be Dee)

The songs here use genuine samples of those tracks, it's no coincidence that parts of these songs sound exactly like another laugh.gif (unless the sample wasn't cleared, and I assume it was, as there wasn't any controversy I recall from them)

If a court case like this is accepted, then I think Kiesza has every right to sue Tulisa magic.gif

This post has been edited by Cheese Wombat: 12th March 2015, 12:10 AM

+Quote this post
Riser
post 12th March 2015, 04:22 AM
Post #31
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(Graham A @ Mar 11 2015, 09:43 AM) *
In these copyright disputes they often get musicologists in to determine if the copyrights are infringed. I don't know if they did in this case, but the jury would have been given expert opinion on if the record did break the rules. They certainly would not have decided on it from a standpoint that it sounds a bit like it.
In the article I read, they did mention a musicologist being called to the stand, who had analyzed the similar elements. But he/she was called to the stand by the Gaye family and therefore was taking their side.

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Mar 11 2015, 01:17 PM) *
But him and Pharrell have lost $7 million between them, right?
Yeah, my point was just that the timing was bad!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 12th March 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #32
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Cheese Wombat @ Mar 12 2015, 12:04 AM) *
If a court case like this is accepted, then I think Kiesza has every right to sue Tulisa magic.gif

Given Tulisa struggled to make the Top 50 in a dead week I think that would really be rubbing salt into her wounds!

This court case sums up everything that is wrong with the litigious society we now find ourselves in - for sure Pharrell and Thicke didn't do themselves any favours by suing them initially, but being inspired by a particular record is not the same as illegally sampling it.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 13th March 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #33
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

THe Gayes have claimed that "Happy" by Pharell Williams sounds like "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye. I mean honestly, isn't $7.4 million enough?

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th March 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #34
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Christ they really are a bunch of greedy twats aren't they...

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th March 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #35
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

They've said they won't be taking legal action so I wouldn't say it's greed, it's just a bit silly now lol.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 13th March 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #36
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

They'll be claiming Marilyn Monroe sounds like Sexual Healing next.

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th March 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #37
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Ain't That Peculiar and Happy don't sound very alike unsure.gif They've got a similar beat and that's it. I doubt they'd win that lawsuit if it happens, there's more similarities with Blurred Lines/Got To Give It Up

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th March 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #38
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Mar 13 2015, 05:45 PM) *
They've said they won't be taking legal action so I wouldn't say it's greed, it's just a bit silly now lol.

It's just the audacity of them saying this when they've just been awarded a large sum of money for their previous claim. Even if they don't take it to court, it reeks of 'we deserve more'.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 13th March 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

All music from now on should just be derived from public-domain nursery rhymes, or better yet, be total silence (as long as it's not 4 minutes and 33 seconds of it)

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 13th March 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #40
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

Personally I still think Can't Remember To Forget You by Shakira featuring Rihanna is strikingly similar to Juliet by Lawson.
Anyway, both BLurred Lines and Got To Give You Up are in the iTunes top 100, at #60 and #92 respectively.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 01:52 AM