BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Nuggets #15 - RESULTS
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 13th December 2022, 12:00 AM
Post #101
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Ok I’ve caught up reading the whole results thread now.

A humble thanks to all who voted for Slowdrive, it was a bit of a scramble to find an entry this time as nothing was planned for and no prior potentials, but when I listened to the track in full it felt right to give it a try in this contest. Of course I had no idea the same artist would later be sent to BJSC by Chez, but I shall indeed make sure to give your entry a listen and I anticipate it should do well there.

As RFC says, I’ve not won Nuggets before, only the forgotten about Movie Forum Song Contest that didn’t last very long sadly. This win certainly comes as a surprise but is most welcomed on the back of two consecutive BJSC DNQ’s to end an otherwise successful 2022. happy.gif

I guess by default this makes me the next host of Nuggets… can someone give me some idea when the next one is due? I am assuming I must wait for UP to happen again before I look to host this.

Finally thank you to the host for everything, and glad I managed to get my votes to you in time!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 13th December 2022, 12:05 AM
Post #102
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Ideally would love another Nuggets come May/June x

+Quote this post
Riser
post 13th December 2022, 02:33 AM
Post #103
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Wow, congrats awardinary, that was a great entry and winner! clap.gif Also pleased to see Jadu Heart 2nd and Knife Bride top 10.

I went for a fun entry this time around rather than trying to find something with wide appeal. I've done well to not mention my childhood Sonic fandom very often so I'm happy if no one was able to guess the Sonic entry was me. kink.gif 7 votes is about what I expected for it so I'm not disappointed with that result!

Thanks so much for hosting, RFC, you did a great job biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th December 2022, 03:24 AM
Post #104
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Congratulations Wardy, a nice cap-off to a good edition, it's nice to see a shoegaze winner and it wasn't far off my votes.

Thanks for those who voted for NYTT LAND, it was a bit of a unique entry I found among a metal channel and I had to send it after falling in love with its rhythm, wasn't expecting much from it but I hope you enjoyed its throat singing. And thank you RFC for hosting so well!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 13th December 2022, 06:37 AM
Post #105
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Wish we had had more time to get familiar to the songs, I'm slow so I need to listen lots to songs in order to appreciate it
I didn't particularly like the winning song but maybe it just needs more time
Got the feeling everybody voted the songs they already knew or listened just 1 time so definitely think a bit more of time wouldn't hurt in these kinda contests

Happy I discovered 3 great songs which didn't do particularly well but I don't align very well with the indie taste in BJ

14 58 ★ Boys and Ivy - Toronto (entrant: J00p)
16 46 ★ La Rappresentante di Lista - Diva (entrant: Addy!)
17 43 ★ GIYA - Foggy Hearts (entrant: RabbitFurCoat)

^these 3 were amazing, I knew of LRDL but didn't know Diva. I also loved GIYA and Boys & Ivy

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 13th December 2022, 01:37 PM
Post #106
Group icon
‘psychedelic pop-infused’? Pull the other one!
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 13 2022, 06:37 AM) *
Got the feeling everybody voted the songs they already knew or listened just 1 time so definitely think a bit more of time wouldn't hurt in these kinda contests

None of the songs are particularly well known at all, so I doubt this was the case bar perhaps a couple of songs each.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 13th December 2022, 01:48 PM
Post #107
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

even if we had a month to listen to these songs, it'll be hard to top a song you've already loved for years or months and had a pre-existing connection with, even if you were trying to vote "objectively" (which, there's no such thing). either way everyone seemed to know different songs beforehand so I doubt it affected the results in any meaningful way

This post has been edited by dhweigh ride: 13th December 2022, 01:48 PM

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 13th December 2022, 02:47 PM
Post #108
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Congrats to awardinary for the win.

oops I guess I picked the wrong contest for Diva...it's such a beauty of a song...now I'm like maybe I should have saved it for Unknown Pleasures or perhaps BJSC.

And all the comments about how it sounded out of a place, it did hurt the song's image and influenced voters (that's what I would like to think for the mid-low finish kink.gif)

This post has been edited by Addy!: 13th December 2022, 04:52 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 13th December 2022, 02:53 PM
Post #109
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

Although I gave full input to the mods in terms of what they vetoed I was doing a bit of checking when entries were submitted to make sure there were no obvious red flags. A quick Google of LRDL I saw pop-rock and assumed therefore they'd be fine. Diva might be more on the pop side but I didn't think it was so far out of place (I just didn't particularly care for it!)

Personally I think a fortnight or more is plenty enough to vote in a contest like this. I think regardless of how much time most will give the same amount of listens. I gave the stuff I liked most four listens as each listen through I discount a few more until I'm only left with the ones I really like (I had 16 this time). My favourites never stay in quite the same order after I add them to playlists and listen more regularly - the song I ended up listening to most from the most recent UP was the CLT DRP entry but I ranked it about 5th on votes.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 13th December 2022, 03:06 PM
Post #110
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

Medals Table Results

Position | 12s | 10s | 8s | Entry

01 4 0 1 Tides From Nebula
02 3 0 2 The Gathering
03 2 2 3 Sun's Signature
04 2 2 2 Slowdive
05 2 1 2 Darkside
06 2 1 1 Jadu Heart
07 2 1 1 zzzahara
08 2 0 4 Heartworms
09 2 0 0 GIYA
10 1 5 0 Deerhunter

11 1 2 2 Knife Bride
12 1 2 1 Ekkstacy
13 1 2 1 Miranda Sex Garden
14 1 1 1 Great Grandpa
15 1 1 1 Nouns
16 1 0 0 Armenia
17 1 0 0 Camp Cope
18 0 3 0 La Rappresentante di Lista
19 0 2 0 NYTT Land
20 0 1 2 Fabienne Delsol

21 0 1 0 Russian Circles
22 0 1 0 Soft Blade
23 0 1 0 Pain of Salvation
24 0 0 3 Boys and Ivy
25 0 0 1 Arxx
26 0 0 1 Ted Poley
27 0 0 0 The Heart Throbs
28 0 0 0 Ron Gallo
29 0 0 0 Christian Meier

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 13th December 2022, 03:07 PM

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 13th December 2022, 03:29 PM
Post #111
Group icon
CROWN THE WITCH
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

QUOTE(dhweigh ride @ Dec 13 2022, 01:48 PM) *
even if we had a month to listen to these songs, it'll be hard to top a song you've already loved for years or months and had a pre-existing connection with, even if you were trying to vote "objectively" (which, there's no such thing). either way everyone seemed to know different songs beforehand so I doubt it affected the results in any meaningful way

This exactly, and there just isn't a lot of time in real life even if you have a month-long voting window to go through all of them multiple times in full. At the end of the day there is no "objective" way to rate a song since it's all about personal taste x

Re:Addy I totally see this in BJSC actually x I believe Amare was sent there before and did reasonably well.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 13th December 2022, 04:43 PM
Post #112
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Firstly, huge congrats to Wardy - “Star Roving” was in my Top 10 singles of 2017 so it was great to be reminded of it, such a great comeback. They had a couple of minor hits in the 1990s including the beautiful “Alison” from the Outside Your Room EP which made #69 but they sadly never become as big as they surely deserved to be, the music press turned on them and they sank without trace after that EP rly. Interestingly I think there's a strong link between the Top 2 as the opening lyric to my entry: 'Rachel open up my head' is a ref to the lead singer of Slowdive! V much looking forward to an extra-awardinary contest next time. : )

Great to see Heartworms finish in the T5. That was a fantastic discovery for me, so thank you to Jade for sending that.

Finally, thanks to Mark for doing a top job with a smoothly run contest.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 13th December 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #113
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

Congrats to Wardy! Couldn't be happier with that winner. I wonder how well Souvlaki Space Station, that I entered to BJSC in 2020 and came 28th (respectable for its genre I think), would've done had it have been a Nuggets entry.

Also delighted to have what must be my best Nuggets performance (I think this is only my second or third entry).

This post has been edited by Harve: 13th December 2022, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 13th December 2022, 06:43 PM
Post #114
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

Just catching up now, aw not the best result but I'll admit it's probably a deserved position! Thanks to any voters, especially Addy for the 12pts <3 Shame to see Ruchey, Carreteras Mojadas and Dreamtime so low, they were highlights for me but other than that pretty decent with lots of my faves in the top 10! zzzahara/Mareux could've been a bit further up but other than that all good.
(I agree with what other people have said, the timescale is fine as it is. If it was longer I think I'd just forget most of the songs by the time results came around!)
Congrats Wardy and thanks for hosting RFC happy.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 1st June 2024, 04:50 PM