BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melanie C - 'Overload', Song from 'Melanie C' • 29th September 2020
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post Sep 29 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
QUOTE(Voodoo @ Sep 29 2020, 02:56 PM) *
LOL

Who do you think you are fooling? You were one of the few that championed Song for Her and wanted it to be released. You have double standards.

There is a good song in there but it definitely needs work, some lyric changes, polishing up and the classic Melanie C ad libs.

You only have to listen to some of the Spice demos to see songs like If you can't dance and Wannabe went through the same process of tinkering. Wannabe had R&B production on first demo.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 29 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
QUOTE(dancinqueen @ Sep 29 2020, 01:45 PM) *
So, I'll try to be as honest as possible, without being a deluded fan.

Do I like what she's been doing lately? Yes, finally some upbeat tunes, great production, interesting videos and those outfits! I love the efforts and the outcome.

Lyrics? Well, this is certainly not an album of poems. Some lines are redundant and there's too much of that "I'm stronger than before" kind of content.

That said, great improvement. She brought me back on board after I lost her with that boring thing that was Reason.

I'd love for those who were disappointed about the lyrics, especially the ones who want new Spice material, to compare this to Melanie's songs:

This is a song for her
You know you light it up
‘Cause you know who you are
Stand up, stand up
She’s got that boom boom pop
That's something they can’t stop
She’s got that oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Song for her

Now, show me how you're not deluded

LOL so we are comparing an unreleased demo that was TRASHED by the fanbase and critics with a new single release by Melanie 'ive been doing this for 21 years' C?

Come on....... First of all you cant compare the two songs - totally different. And then, bringing Song For Her as a comparison only makes this argument weak because Song for Her was absolutely trashed by most also because of how bad its lyrics were...

I love Melanie and I am very glad she is finding her feet again as an artist, and evolving. All we are saying is that beyond the melodies, singing and production development, she absolutely needs to improve her lyrics because more often than not with her songs, she still writes like she did back in the day.

Most of the issue is that the lyrics sound quite derrivative, like clichéd soundbites. There is, of course, improvement in these 6 new songs we've heard over the past 12 months, for sure. But the last two songs in particular were lacking in that department, drastically.

I would say that she got off to a great start with Who I Am and Blame It on Me as those lyrics (whilst not being the best thing ever), showed lyrical promise. But both Fearless and Overload sound undercooked to me...

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post Sep 29 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576
It fits the vibe of version of me more but I love it

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 29 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
You can totally compare the two songs. He was more referring to Sammy being a Mel bashed again.

Why doesn’t she change the record ?

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post Sep 29 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682
QUOTE(vibe @ Sep 29 2020, 04:03 PM) *
You can totally compare the two songs. He was more referring to Sammy being a Mel bashed again.

Why doesn’t she change the record ?

This.

Why always point out what's wrong? I've never heard this person saying anything positive about Melanie.

He's of course b*tthurt because The C doesn't want to record any new material with the other three. That makes me like her even more, she's not greedy and she trust her instinct when it comes of doing something or not.

By the previews, this new record is a pop gem (no pun intended), and that's what we should care for. 20 years and still making what she likes regardless of the charts!

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 29 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
^ 💖

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 29 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 29 2020, 04:27 PM) *
LOL so we are comparing an unreleased demo that was TRASHED by the fanbase and critics with a new single release by Melanie 'ive been doing this for 21 years' C?

Come on....... First of all you cant compare the two songs - totally different. And then, bringing Song For Her as a comparison only makes this argument weak because Song for Her was absolutely trashed by most also because of how bad its lyrics were...

I love Melanie and I am very glad she is finding her feet again as an artist, and evolving. All we are saying is that beyond the melodies, singing and production development, she absolutely needs to improve her lyrics because more often than not with her songs, she still writes like she did back in the day.

Most of the issue is that the lyrics sound quite derrivative, like clichéd soundbites. There is, of course, improvement in these 6 new songs we've heard over the past 12 months, for sure. But the last two songs in particular were lacking in that department, drastically.

I would say that she got off to a great start with Who I Am and Blame It on Me as those lyrics (whilst not being the best thing ever), showed lyrical promise. But both Fearless and Overload sound undercooked to me...

You can totally compare two songs if you are criticising so lyrics. I’m not really one for one girl vs another (unless in jest) tbh but I get the point being made. It’s not necessarily the other girls can’t write for shit either but more “well you’re so quick to criticise one for naff song lyrics when you yourself praised and encouraged the release of some of the naffest cringe fest lyrics ever in song for her.” Which let’s be honest Sammy did....

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Sep 30 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 29 2020, 04:27 PM) *

Don't worry Saint C can't be criticised, the fact that they need to compare her new music to a song that they never should have even heard to try and invalidate criticism is a good laugh though.

I'll carry it on, Overload must be amazing and I can't criticise because when I was 4 I liked the wheels on the bus and that has basic as f*** lyrics. Go Mel!

(Sigh at the trash posters from Spice Circle joining here).

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 30 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Hmm no joined in 2010 thanks.

Why don’t you just stay out the Melanie C section ?

I’m not a Gaga fan I don’t go on her forum and bitch about everything she does. I don’t go on it at all.

You have been called out for your hypocrisy and boring tedious repetitive comments. Grow up.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 30 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Guys, criticism is healthy. Just blindly campaging for anything any of the girls releases, is dumb. People have opinions, it doesnt mean it is just trashing someone. People have been leveling genuine criticism at an artist we all love, Mel C, because they feel some of the stuff she has done is below her talent. Nothing wrong with that! We all want her to do well!!

Stop claiming that genuine criticism is 'bring hatefull!!!!!' or that it has no place here. It's an open forum, get over yourselves.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Sep 30 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
Perhaps let's not get quite so personal. We can respect a difference in opinion and debate politely.

Personally, I'm finding the 'Overload' lyrics are really resonating for me right now. There is real truth in "Why do you treat me so bad when you need me so much?". Which is why I am leaving my job this week. Haha

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Sep 30 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126
Another bland release imo sad.gif I was really hoping for another 'Think About It' or 'Anymore', I'd even take another 'Dear Life'.

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post Sep 30 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682
QUOTE(Simon. @ Sep 30 2020, 09:55 AM) *
Another bland release imo sad.gif I was really hoping for another 'Think About It' or 'Anymore', I'd even take another 'Dear Life'.

Anymore is one of her best songs IMO

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Sep 30 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 30 2020, 09:09 AM) *
Guys, criticism is healthy. Just blindly campaging for anything any of the girls releases, is dumb. People have opinions, it doesnt mean it is just trashing someone. People have been leveling genuine criticism at an artist we all love, Mel C, because they feel some of the stuff she has done is below her talent. Nothing wrong with that! We all want her to do well!!

Stop claiming that genuine criticism is 'bring hatefull!!!!!' or that it has no place here. It's an open forum, get over yourselves.

It is worrying they can't see how ridiculous it is to think someone can't or shouldn't be criticised.
I have the vinyl pre-ordered, I watch the videos and listen to the songs, I'm as much a fan as they are. I always want all spice girls to be successful but I'm not stupid or deluded enough to think everything they do is amazing or even good. Emma's cover of 2 become 1 is diabolical and flogging nappies hurts to see whenever she posts about it. They all endorse, sell or release far too much rubbish.

This post has been edited by sammy01: Sep 30 2020, 11:17 AM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 30 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
There is a difference between criticising and continuous bashing.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Sep 30 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(vibe @ Sep 30 2020, 01:39 PM) *
There is a difference between criticising and continuous bashing.

If you read my original post you will find i complimented the production and hook but hey read what you wanna read.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 30 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 30 2020, 09:09 AM) *

I think that’s a bit unfair. Nobody is blindly admiring Mel here, rather people are frustrated because certain individuals have incredible double standards when it comes to commenting on Melanie... I don’t think it’s blind to call that out. I’m the first to comment on unnecessary comments about the other girls too not just Mel.

Also people are perfectly entitled to disagree with yours and others opinions on lyrics etc I mean I for one don’t see anything wrong with her lyrics, I mean they are not groundbreaking but then I don’t think any of the girls have particularly ground breaking lyrics, they are all rather basic but work well for the songs, let’s be honest they are acts that are there to break ground. 🤷‍♂️ I’m not saying you are not letting people disagree simply that it’s not “blind” as you’re calling it.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Sep 30 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Sep 30 2020, 05:49 PM) *
I think that’s a bit unfair. Nobody is blindly admiring Mel here, rather people are frustrated because certain individuals have incredible double standards when it comes to commenting on Melanie... I don’t think it’s blind to call that out. I’m the first to comment on unnecessary comments about the other girls too not just Mel.

Also people are perfectly entitled to disagree with yours and others opinions on lyrics etc I mean I for one don’t see anything wrong with her lyrics, I mean they are not groundbreaking but then I don’t think any of the girls have particularly ground breaking lyrics, they are all rather basic but work well for the songs, let’s be honest they are acts that are there to break ground. 🤷‍♂️ I’m not saying you are not letting people disagree simply that it’s not “blind” as you’re calling it.

I'd like to clarify my thoughts on her lyrics, they are basic but that can be fine if it flows and they progress the song. My issue with them is they are clunky, they just feel like random sentences thrown together at times and are often a bit fridge magnet of 50 year old woman.

Who I am is her best song this era by a mile lyric wise ending in another hook 'armour' by the end after the song that has built nicely through the song.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 30 2020, 11:07 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Sep 30 2020, 07:48 PM) *
I'd like to clarify my thoughts on her lyrics, they are basic but that can be fine if it flows and they progress the song. My issue with them is they are clunky, they just feel like random sentences thrown together at times and are often a bit fridge magnet of 50 year old woman.

Who I am is her best song this era by a mile lyric wise ending in another hook 'armour' by the end after the song that has built nicely through the song.

Here for this Who I Am stanning! Her best single in probably over 19 years.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Oct 1 2020, 07:38 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 1 2020, 12:07 AM) *
Here for this Who I Am stanning! Her best single in probably over 19 years.

It is a genuinely great song. The armour lyric at the end is very powerful and is the perfect finish and hook to sum up the whole song. It builds up nicely to it.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:28 PM