BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eurovision Song Contest 2019 · Green Room, All the news and general discussion from Tel Aviv, Israel!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
AdamAloud
post May 13 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #1
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

Happy New Year Eurovision fans! Thanks to Netta we're off to Israel in 2019, for the final Eurovision Song Contest of the decade. In the coming months the EBU along with the Israeli broadcaster IPBC, will be getting everything prepared and ready for next May. In terms of the host city, it's widely expected to be either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated on Twitter that the contest will be held in Jerusalem, however this will all need to be approved by the EBU, who I suspect will favour Tel Aviv.

Join us here on Buzzjack as all the news for the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 unfold! Only about 365 days to go!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tangela
post May 13 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #2
Tangelic
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

I’m already excited!

Looking like Estonia, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Serbia, Spain and Sweden have all confirmed thus far.

We could also FINALLY be getting a debut in the form of Liechtenstein apparently.

This post has been edited by Midge: May 13 2018, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 13 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

May 11 2019 then? biggrin.gif

Hyped already!

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post May 13 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #4

I expect it to be a late Eurovision next year, with the Israeli Memorial Day on the 8th.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post May 13 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I can see this being similar to Kiev 2017 - a much quieter contest with a smaller turnout, with anything other than the live final mostly populated by locals. Flights to Israel are *really* expensive at this time of year from most of Europe (usually £100 each way) and the political situation of the country might put a lot off attending. It's impossible to compare it to 1999 as the contest was much smaller then.

We've had a nicely varied mix of countries winning it the last few years - Western Europe (Portugal), Northern Europe (Sweden), Central Europe (Austria), Eastern Europe (Ukraine), the Caucasus (Azerbaijan) and, erm, not actually Europe at all in Israel's case! Hoping for a Baltic or Balkan win next year!

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 13 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(BillyH @ May 13 2018, 06:30 PM) *
I can see this being similar to Kiev 2017 - a much quieter contest with a smaller turnout, with anything other than the live final mostly populated by locals. Flights to Israel are *really* expensive at this time of year from most of Europe (usually £100 each way) and the political situation of the country might put a lot off attending. It's impossible to compare it to 1999 as the contest was much smaller then.

I agree with this.

+Quote Post
Colm
post May 13 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #7
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

We've had a nicely varied mix of countries winning it the last few years - Western Europe (Portugal), Northern Europe (Sweden), Central Europe (Austria), Eastern Europe (Ukraine), the Caucasus (Azerbaijan) and, erm, not actually Europe at all in Israel's case! Hoping for a Baltic or Balkan win next year!

One of the Island nations next year, please - Ireland, UK, Iceland, Malta, Cyprus, Australia biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 13 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #8
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

After the nightmare of getting tickets this year, here's hoping. Committed to going again no matter what.

(and £100 would be a bargain compared to what I've paid to get home from Lisbon drama.gif)

+Quote Post
Odaisul
post May 13 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,162
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▲hq @ May 13 2018, 09:07 PM) *
After the nightmare of getting tickets this year, here's hoping. Committed to going again no matter what.

(and £100 would be a bargain compared to what I've paid to get home from Lisbon drama.gif)

you should had in mind that Lisbon is geographically the center of the world.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 13 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

How much do tickets for the finals cost these days then?

I’ll be old enough to go next year (I’m assuming you have to be 18?), but I’m thinking about going to the 2020 final, wherever that may be! I’m also guessing that prices vary depending on the location of your seat/area?

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 14 2018, 02:05 AM
Post #11
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

^ I paid £120 for a standing area ticket for the final and I don't think there was an age limit as I was surprised to see a couple of kids in the standing section

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post May 14 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #12

Could be in for a lengthy wait for the host city announcement this year.

The Mayor of Tel Aviv has confirmed that his city will not bid to host the Eurovision Song Contest 2018. With that announcement, it is now all but confirmed that Jerusalem will indeed host the contest next year.

Many fans were hoping the contest would travel to Tel Aviv for the edition of 2019. The city hosts one of the biggest Eurovision pre-parties. A huge crowd usually attends the event. The arena which would have been suitable to host the event was the Menora Mivtachim Arena. The multi-purpose arena could potentially have hosted up to 11,000 people.

Ron Huldai, the Mayor of Tel Aviv, was however quick to rule out his city as possibility. That leaves hardly any doubt of where the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 will be taking place. Jerusalem will very likely be the city that will host the event.

https://www.escxtra.com/2018/05/14/tel-aviv...ost-eurovision/

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 14 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

Ugh, I really hope they change their minds and host it in Tel Aviv. It's certainly the best option.

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 14 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #14
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

Jerusalem is a disaster waiting to happen. As everyone has said, the EBU will want to avoid the Geopolitics of that choice but there is also a very real safety concern to Jerusalem too. This week the Israeli military has massacred more than 40 Palestinians. Palestine commemorates the loss of life and homes of their people with the creation of Israel around this time every year and the last thing the Israel-Palestine conflict needs is a shiny glitter target promoting Jerusalem as an Israeli city.

So many ways this can end badly.

A big 5 hosting job might be the best option but I can’t see Israel going for that

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 14 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend

Silly idea. Should not be held in Jerusalem!

QUOTE(J▲hq @ May 14 2018, 03:05 AM) *
^ I paid £120 for a standing area ticket for the final and I don't think there was an age limit as I was surprised to see a couple of kids in the standing section

I guess that’s not *too* bad! I guess it’s the flights/accommodation which costs. Better get saving! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 14 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #16
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

I think I can see the EBU insisting on Tel Aviv hosting, despite that press release!

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 14 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #17
Queen of Soon

I've just checked my Stockholm trip costs cqm

Semi-Final 1 - 495kr ~ £45
Semi-Final 2 - 1.295kr ~ £110
Jury Final - 995kr ~ £90
"Eurovision The Party" - 300kr ~ £25
Hostel - 1.250kr (£107 booked about 2hrs after Stockholm was confirmed as the host city in July 2015)
Flight - £159.65 (KLM from EDI to ARN return booked about 2hrs after Stockholm was confirmed as the host city in July 2015)

All in it was between £525 and £550 for the trip, not including spending money and food. It was worth it though for me, I really really loved the trip. Booking everything apart helped with the cost. So flights were first and then the tickets a second tranche a few months later and then the hotel was a pay on the day affair. That was quite helpful for finances, so my advice would be to save up for things as you buy them spread out over the year, makes it feel a little more manageable.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 14 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend

Ah thanks for doing that. I’d probably need to save around £900 then which includes food and spending money. It really isn’t too bad at all. It must be an unforgettable experience!

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 14 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #19
Queen of Soon

Yeah that's a fair estimate I'd say. The biggest variable will always be flights. If you book them as soon as possible then you'll get in before the prices escalate.

I would recommend it with all my heart to any Eurovision fan. Being in that arena is special, you really feel the energy of the crowd and the performers and the heat from the pyros. Never will you appreciate the truthfulness of the phrase 'heat rises' like being on the top tier of Globen next to the stage during a very pyro filled performance. I really feel for anyone in a 100 mile radius of the stage during Fuego laugh.gif

I put it off for a few years coz of exams but I'm glad I chose Stockholm to go to. It was a great city and a great experience. And Sound of Silence still gives me goosebumps.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 14 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend

I think I’d rather go somewhere a bit closer though. Germany would be nice.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:41 AM