BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eurovision Song Contest 2019 · Green Room, All the news and general discussion from Tel Aviv, Israel!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
diva las vegans
post May 15 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

There's already a petition going around on Facebook which has garnered around 6000 signatures already asking Iceland to boycott Eurovision next year due to the conflict in Israel and Palestine. sad.gif

6000 people is about 2% of the nation for comparison, so it's a pretty widespread petition.

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: May 15 2018, 01:00 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 15 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

Noo! sad.gif

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 15 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Both Paul Oscar (1997 representative) and Daði Freyr (2nd in the 2017 NF) have been vocal that they think Iceland should withdraw.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post May 15 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #24
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

Next year is gonna be a mess I tell you...

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 15 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Euphorique @ May 15 2018, 08:00 PM) *
Next year is gonna be a mess I tell you...

I agree. I’ll go to 2020 Eurovision instead.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post May 15 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Hmm how many boycotts there were in 2009 in Russia or Azerbaijan few years later despite both being HORRIBLE when it comes to human rights.

I wouldn't count on more countries withdrawing than usual. Icelandic people are probably a bit angry that their country missed the final and wonder if they should participate but I am pretty sure they will.

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 15 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SKOB @ May 15 2018, 07:51 PM) *
Hmm how many boycotts there were in 2009 in Russia or Azerbaijan few years later despite both being HORRIBLE when it comes to human rights.

I wouldn't count on more countries withdrawing than usual. Icelandic people are probably a bit angry that their country missed the final and wonder if they should participate but I am pretty sure they will.

I don't think this has anything to do with Iceland not making the final since absolutely nobody here expected us to qualify and the song's been criticised quite a lot here laugh.gif But yeah that's what I've said as well regarding Russia & Azerbaijan. Especially since Iceland is playing in the FIFA World Cup in Russia this summer lol and nobody's calling for a boycott.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post May 17 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #28
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

The Icelandic boycott may become a reality:
Following a petition which has garnered over 22,000 signatures, the Icelandic broadcaster is meeting to discuss the possibility of withdrawing from the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Israel.

The Reykjavik Grapevine reports that the broadcaster had a meeting on Tuesday of this week and will have a further meeting in June to discuss the issue. RÚV’s discussions are in response to a petition launched by Icelander Árni St. Sigurðsson which was started after the recent events in Gaza. The petition has been signed by Daði Freyr‏ who came second in the Icelandic national final for Eurovision in 2017 behind Svala.

The petition states:
“Following the human rights violation perpetuated by Israel towards the Palestinian nation it is unethical for us to participate in such a glamorous competition like Eurovision in the shadow of Israel’s violence against their neighbours.”

According to The Reykjavik Grapevine, RÚV programming director Skarphéðinn Guðmundsson told reporters: “This has been discussed within the programming department and we will of course examine this issue.”

This year, Iceland was represented at Eurovision in Lisbon by Ari Ólafsson with Our Choice. Iceland finished last in the first semi-final scoring just 15 points, this included 0 points from the public vote.
Iceland is not the only country to have faced calls for withdrawal from Eurovision 2019. In Ireland, former Eurovision winner Charlie McGettigan has suggested that RTÉ should boycott the contest.

https://eurovoix.com/2018/05/17/iceland-ruv...urovision-2019/

+Quote Post
Jerick
post May 17 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 6,716
   No Gallery Pics

I am not worried that Iceland will boycott the Eurovision, it's only 4,5% of the population. BTW it's kinda hypocritical to boycott Eurovision and not the world cup in Russia aswell for numbers of similar reasons, and we know that won't happen! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 17 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jerick @ May 17 2018, 10:55 PM) *
I am not worried that Iceland will boycott the Eurovision, it's only 4,5% of the population. BTW it's kinda hypocritical to boycott Eurovision and not the world cup in Russia aswell for numbers of similar reasons, and we know that won't happen! laugh.gif

Yeah that’s my issue exactly. People aren’t as keen on boycotting the world cup because it’s soccer and iceland’s more likely to do well there lol. Comes off like we’re just sore losers picking and choosing which cause is worthy and which ones are not. Not a fan personally of this stance.

+Quote Post
Jerick
post May 18 2018, 01:28 AM
Post #31
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(cantthinkofaname @ May 18 2018, 01:12 AM) *
Yeah that’s my issue exactly. People aren’t as keen on boycotting the world cup because it’s soccer and iceland’s more likely to do well there lol. Comes off like we’re just sore losers picking and choosing which cause is worthy and which ones are not. Not a fan personally of this stance.

Áfram Ísland 🇮🇸 wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 18 2018, 01:59 AM
Post #32
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

There's such a double standard when it comes to sports, obviously we have the whole Brexit thing and get people all "we shouldn't be in Eurovision we've left the EU!1!!" (ofc forgetting so many entrants aren't the EU, and the EU isn't Europe xx) yet you never see it about UEFA champions league for example.... People never seem to realise if you hate x or y that much there are legit hundreds of channels or practically infinite content on the internet, go watch something else lmaoo

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 20 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Legend

Has anyone bought the Eurovision board game? If so, is it worth it? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post May 20 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I think it's worth the €25 definitely, although the €17 shipping (to the UK) makes it less desirable! I certainly enjoyed playing it although I think it works best when you are playing with people with similar amounts of Eurovision knowledge as yourself. I've just written a full review here! https://www.escxtra.com/2018/05/20/review-e...ion-board-game/

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 20 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Legend

€17 delivery!!! That is just absolutely ridiculous ohmy.gif

Will read the review now. I hoped it would be on Amazon, but it isn’t. sad.gif My family/friends are useless at Eurovision so maybe I shouldn’t buy it laugh.gif It would look nice on display tho. kink.gif

—————

Watching ESC Final again tonight wub.gif

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 22 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Hmm..

Eurovision official insta posts a pic of Netta with the caption: "Are you already looking forward to next year’s Eurovision? Us too! But don’t go booking your flights just yet, for official updates on where and when it’ll take place, keep an eye out for announcements on our official channels."

What do you make of it? Israel has all but confirmed they wanna host it in Jerusalem but it seems like EBU may not want to do that.

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 22 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Legend

I wonder if it’ll be hosted in a different country even?

+Quote Post
Jerick
post May 22 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #38
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cqmerqn @ May 22 2018, 05:03 PM) *

I don't think Israel will give up an opportunity to host Eurovision. They did in 1980, but that was because they had just hosted the 1979 contest.

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post May 22 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cqmerqn @ May 22 2018, 03:03 PM) *

I hope the EBU puts their foot down with it either being Tel Aviv or a different country given the drama surrounding Jerusalem as a host city.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 22 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #40
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

It’s also just generally good sense to not book any flights/hotels until a date and host city is actually confirmed (my current instinct says they’ll cave and let Tel Aviv host it but they’ll move it to the week later to not have the Final clash with the Champion’s League).

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:34 AM