BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Take That - This Life, 9th album out 24/11/23
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post 13th November 2023, 04:22 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

They are doing the Late Late Show here in Ireland in 2 weeks time which should give the album a nice sales lift.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 19th November 2023, 03:07 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Well just a week to and we will have the album, it's the least excited I've been for a new take that album but I'm hoping it will have something I like.

+Quote this post
Charlatan
post 20th November 2023, 04:20 PM
Post #43
Group icon
New Entry
User: 10,154

Yeah, feels very strange to know there's a new album out in only 4 days time. Not much fanfare at all.

Keeping my expectations in check. Wasn't a fan of Wonderland and although Windows has grown on me somewhat (that acoustic version is great), I'm not overly fussed on the other two new tracks.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 20th November 2023, 10:02 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

There does seem to be little fanfare at the moment but im sure they will be promoting all next week to help the album.

+Quote this post
nirvanamusic
post 20th November 2023, 10:23 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 16,950

I like the fact the album will be vocal harmony led. That is after all what they were formed around, and moved away from with the later albums.

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: 20th November 2023, 10:23 PM

+Quote this post
neill2407
post 20th November 2023, 11:54 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 159,650

I like windows and this life. Not so fussed about the Mark track but this album feels more low key than any of their others. I’m sure it will reach no1 as sales aren’t high but I think it will get a big drop in week 2.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 22nd November 2023, 01:56 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Hopefully they can get number 1 as outside week 1 I can't see it doing that great.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 22nd November 2023, 08:16 AM
Post #48
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Padamic Tension @ Nov 22 2023, 01:56 AM) *
Hopefully they can get number 1 as outside week 1 I can't see it doing that great.

There’s no other competition, they’ll be #1 by miles.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 22nd November 2023, 05:22 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 23rd November 2023, 09:50 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 22 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Well done, lads!
It's good when artists are ready to say more about their music.
I'd like to get a copy of the magazine...

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 23rd November 2023, 09:56 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

4 stars from Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...w-b2452253.html

Take That review, This Life: Cosy collection of durable, hummable, very English songs
Gary Barlow and co prove to be a safely uplifting choice this festive season
Helen Brown

Slogging through the housework to Take That’s ninth album, This Life, I notice a gentle uptick in my mood. Nothing dramatic. No grand romantic swooning over the laundry basket. Just a hummable, toe-tappable companionship as the band work through their very English gripes and consolations (rainy days, lost loves, muddled plans) to the jaunty shrug of Gary Barlow’s easy-hook, mustn’t grumble melodies. “No way tomorrow is golden,” they concede on single “This Life”, like a weary co-worker popping a cuppa on your desk, but “a new day can be anything you want”.

It reminds me that whoever chose Take That to promote Marks & Spencer’s back in 2008 knew their stuff. The boy band once pelted with thongs on stage had, by then, matured nicely into a man band you’d trust to sell sensible knickers and cosy sweaters. Like any group of mates formed in the Nineties, including TV’s Friends, Take That have weathered storms and suffered attrition but, ultimately, they connect us to a more hopeful era.

The band lost the rackety charisma of solo star Robbie Williams back in 1995 and the comic camaraderie of Jason Orange a decade later (now rumoured to be living an “off-grid” life in the Cotswolds). However, earlier this year, the remaining trio proved a safely uplifting choice to unite a divided nation at the king’s coronation concert, with Howard Donald and Mark Owen beaming fraternal warmth into Barlow’s solidly crafted songs. You only have to clock the perfect way he turns the tune of “Back for Good” (1995), on the line “in the twist of separation” to feel the smooth satisfaction of his very domestic craft in action. It’s like watching a potter flick a spout into the rim of a jug. Nothing too showy, but a practised touch that makes the whole thing work.

This Life finds Barlow pouring out similarly comforting mugs of song. Songs you can safely dunk a digestive into. It opens rather mournfully with “Keep Your Head Up” – layers of vocals steaming up a window of synths while a piano motif repeats like raindrops trickling down glass. “Keep your mind strong, your wings wide,” runs the cautiously motivational message, “Let go, instead of holding on…” The trio then speed into steering-wheel-tapper “Windows”. Like the entirety of the Jonas Brothers’ latest album, the track dials into the family-friendly Seventies soft rock of bands like America with its casual electric guitars and falsetto yearnings. There’s a touch of Billy Joel and Joe Jackson to the descending piano chord stomp of “This Life”. Barlow knocks out affable, oatmeal anthemic choruses on songs like “March of the Hopeful” (“Don’t change a thing about my heart!”), “Brand New Sun” (“Hey hey hey!”), and the banjo-accented “We Got All Day” (“Alright! Slow down! We got all day-ay-ay!”).

There’s a little Police-era Sting to the slightly spiky vocal and bass line of “Days I Hate Myself”, driven by an engagingly lonely keyboard line. Meanwhile, “Mind Full of Madness” is propelled by a twitchy pulse indebted to the Rocky III theme song “Eye of the Tiger” and lyrics which, heartbreakingly, appear to reference Barlow’s grief over his stillborn daughter, Poppy. You might catch a little of Lou Reed’s “Walk on the Wild Side” sway to “The Champion”, which feels like an answer to Robbie’s “Strong” (1999) on which – decades before Netflix documentaries existed – he deconstructed the “mess” of his celebrity: “And this is real ’cause I feel fake?”. Now Barlow and co are taking the point further, suggesting that strength lies in owning the vulnerability. Over slickly pattered bongos, they accept that being “a little bit yesterday, a little bit broken” can still leave a man “feeling like a king”. Reassuring.

Those preparing to face family members with differing world views this festive season may find solace in “One More Word”, a track that builds from the tenderness of close connection (“I had to hold your hand in the waiting room”) to the acknowledgement of disagreements (“I drink your wine/ I take your point of view/ Take mine?… ’Cos I love you”).

I was stupidly snobby about Take That in the Nineties. All of us indie kids were (even as we all bought identical M&S charcoal grandad knitwear). But like those cardigans, the band have proved their practical, likeable durability. I don’t think I’ll ever have my emotional world shaken or thrilled by anything they make, but I’m grateful for the security of their reliable wool-cotton mix and what – over the years – has come to feel like a nationwide friendship. Long live the III.

This post has been edited by Better Man: 23rd November 2023, 09:57 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th November 2023, 01:29 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I haven't ordered a copy yet, i always support a take that release as i would have always genuinely enjoyed their music, im not feeling this new era at all but feel a little guilty not supporting the album but the guilt might get the better of me later in the week but i really can see myself waiting it out for a price reduction and then i will buy it for the collection.

+Quote this post
nirvanamusic
post 24th November 2023, 11:10 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 16,950

Songs I liked: This Life, March Of The Hopeful, Days I Hate Myself, Mind Full Of Madness, Windows, Where We Are.

Having heard the album, they could have put out something more diverse than Brand New Sun as a single. It made the three singles all be in the same vein and that may have put people off.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th November 2023, 12:39 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

It's not a bad album at all. I really like One More Word, and have also favourited March Of The Hopeful, Days I Hate Myself, Mind Full Of Madness and Where We Are. Plus I've been enjoying This Life as a single.

Some of the songs are kind of similar to the sound of Beautiful World and The Circus, and I like the album more than Wonderland.

For me it's missing a true 10/10 moment, which they haven't had since These Days, or a really killer ballad like Back For Good or Rule The World.

Also I really didn't like the opening track, Keep Your Head Up, the vocal on it sounds odd. I'm sure it was produced to sound a certain way but it's not for me.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th November 2023, 03:20 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Keep your head up, i do like the piano going through the song but don't like the way they use their vocals on it, the song doesn't go anywhere either, i felt i was waiting for take off that doesn't happen.
Windows as i have previously said doesn't do much for me as i don't like the high pitch by Gary in the chorus
This Life, i do like this its more uplifting but i would prefer a lower tone in Garys voice for the this life line.
Brand New sun, its placed well on the album as the previous songs are very Gary heavy, plus its more guitar than piano which changes it up a bit, the chorus us catchy enough too.
March of the hopeful Nice to hear Howards vocals here and think this should have been placed after windows on the album, i like this.
Days i hate myself, this has a very demo sound to it, its just feels like it wasn't fully produced in the chorus but it improves as it goes on.
The Champion, Mark using the softer tones of his voice here which work but the song doesnt really go anywhere
We got all day its an enjoyable chorus, and it builds up nicely and the 2nd half of the song is strong and its a good mixture of all their vocals
Mind full of madness This one grew on me the most on 2nd listen, the chorus build up nicely and i like that the chorus is very Howard sounding and in other parts it reminds a little bit of giants which is a good thing
Time and time again, they are definitely using their vocals differently on this album which works in some parts such as the chorus here but the high notes they use I find annoying for the most part throughout the album.
One more word nice to again see Howard at the forefront here, shame the song doesn't really go anywhere.
Where we are the first half of the song i was this is a bit boring but it gets going around the 2 and half minutes mark and closes out nicely.

Overall the album wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, like others said it misses having any 10 out of 10 moments and there are many skip tracks on it but i really enjoyed march of the hopeful, we got all day, and mind full of madness which is probably my fave based on hearing the album in full twice.
Not that it would have made any difference chart wise but i don't think they picked the best singles to promote the album as there is stronger songs on the album.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 27th November 2023, 05:23 PM
Post #56
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Wow, 103k sales in the Monday update! It could beat Wonderland’s opening figures, which were 113k.

Very very impressive, especially with how much album sales in general have dropped since then.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th November 2023, 05:33 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

That is highly impressive and i will be honest i didnt even think it would sell half that for the week.
Gold already and it would be nice if it could improve on Wonderlands opening.
Imagine if they had gone all out on the multi format route what there sales would like.
This also means its the 4th consecutive decade of them having a number 1 album.

This post has been edited by Padamic Tension: 27th November 2023, 05:40 PM

+Quote this post
neill2407
post 27th November 2023, 11:46 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 159,650

I’ve heard the album. I got the HMV exclusive which included serenity. The album takes a few listens and isn’t as instant as some of their other work. There are some tracks which aren’t great but overall it’s decent.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 27th November 2023, 11:54 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Go them!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 28th November 2023, 12:49 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Hoping they can go top 5 here in Ireland this week, they have a big promotion slot here on the late late show Friday night which should give them a nice cushion for week 2.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:54 PM