BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One Direction are very overrated
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post 28th July 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

QUOTE(zeze88 @ Jul 28 2013, 01:25 PM) *
How exactly are they underrated though? They are no different than any other boyband that ever existed or will exist in the future.

This. In 1964 we'd be saying this about The Beatles (not that I'm making a direct comparison), similarly The Osmonds in 1974, Duran Duran in 1984, Take That in 1994, Busted/McFly in 2004 etc.

And What Makes You Beautiful is a fantastic song...I remember first hearing it this time about two years ago and wanting to hate it but thinking "Damn it, this is catchy as hell" and it ended up in my head for the rest of that year. Everything else is massively inferior but then I'm not a 15 year old teenage girl who thinks they're hot, so they're not really targeting my demographic.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
zeze88
post 28th July 2013, 01:03 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,169

QUOTE(JosephVickers1D @ Jul 28 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Yeah this is totally right. Justin and 1D's tours sell out REALLY quickly (I was lucky to get tickets to see Justin) and the merchandise there is certainly overpriced but they clearly make a lot of money from it.

Besides, "overrated" is surely an opinion? It's different for everyone depending on how much you like them. Personally I wish a lot of their songs had sold more than they did and would even go as far as to say that sales-wise, they are underrated. However, I can see why people may think they are overrated, they're in the media a lot (too much) and their songs don't appeal to everyone. I don't get though, how this is different to say, Lady Gaga (except she's sold more records).

Well, I for one think it is not different because she is overrated as well - she is basically a chameleon, just copying different artists which is real shame as she actually has a great voice.

This post has been edited by zeze88: 28th July 2013, 01:04 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 28th July 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #23
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(¿ DESPEDIDO ? @ Jul 28 2013, 11:32 AM) *
Take That were aimed at the teen market just as much for the majority of their career, and they managed to attract a wider audience anyway.

I was referring to sales because when I first saw the topic it was in the Sales Vault - and no matter which way you look at it, not having a million selling album when you're supposedly the biggest group in the world is atrocious.

They were aimed at the teen market but they're music is so different to One Direction's. I think Take That had a lot of crossover appeal to older people in the 90s too, which One Direction don't really have. Plus Take That were bigger in the UK than One Direction are, it's just that 1D have worldwide success now.

Well it's not great, but worldwide they have million selling albums. Justin Timerlake is probably the biggest male solo artist yet he's never had a million selling album (at least I think) in the UK. Muse are one of the biggest groups in the world, but none of their albums have passed 1m either.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 28th July 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 28 2013, 06:15 PM) *
Well it's not great, but worldwide they have million selling albums. Justin Timerlake is probably the biggest male solo artist yet he's never had a million selling album (at least I think) in the UK. Muse are one of the biggest groups in the world, but none of their albums have passed 1m either.

Justified has sold nearly 2million in the UK. From Gezza's top selling albums of the 00s, it is number 31:

31 JUSTIFIED JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE 1,933,000

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 28th July 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #25
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

The prime selling point of One Direction is them rather than the music - They are all very likeable personalities, have a VERY GOOD promo/production team behind them and well...I don't think I need to make a point about their wide appeal to a younger audience. Put it all together and you essentially have the perfect boyband - its obvious they're going to get a lot of attention and well...they've just done everything right so far.

I think its that primarily that gets them all this attention and makes them the biggest boyband in the world. The music isn't quite as important, though obviously it still is, What Makes You Beautiful was a perfect opener in every way, but that really explains why their sales just aren't as spectacular as some would say. It does make me a bit annoyed that they just keep trying to recreate this formula , but they have nothing to lose so...

How they'll hold up in five years remains to be seen, but for the moment, there's no stopping them. I wouldn't say they're particularly overrated (though I'm far from a fan) they are what they are.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 28th July 2013, 05:38 PM

+Quote this post
zeze88
post 28th July 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Jester @ Jul 28 2013, 05:20 PM) *
Justified has sold nearly 2million in the UK. From Gezza's top selling albums of the 00s, it is number 31:

Yes, I remember that album was hugely successful. Also, I would like to point out that it is naturally easier for an UK artist to succeed in their homeland than it is to an US artist so it wouldn't have been that surprising if he hadn't passed the 1 million mark. His 2nd album also sold nearly 1. million copies. That is why I find it surprising that 1D are not hugely successful in the UK. they are much more successful in other countries.

This post has been edited by zeze88: 28th July 2013, 05:39 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 28th July 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #27
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Jester @ Jul 28 2013, 06:20 PM) *

I did wonder if I was getting confused. I know FS/LS hasn't hit 1m yet (but won't be far off).

Their success of how they became so huge is puzzling though. I just put it down to the Justin Bieber effect. I think there's such a bigger market for them in America anyway, because American girls don't mature stereotypically speaking, to their 20s at least.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 28th July 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #28
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

I think One Direction have got a perfectly decent level of success for their marketing. At first glance it can seem curious that Up All Night has been comfortably outsold by JLS' début but it's really a case of the market they appeal to and how they go about getting that market. JLS were always aimed at teenage girls, but One Direction do that, only far more aggressively. JLS were always (cheesy) RnB/pop, which meant teenage girls and gays loved them but also older people could genuinely like their singles. One Direction on the other hand have been so bubblegum for the entirety of their career to date that they really eliminate the adult market (with the exception of Our Rooney).

So the obvious result is:

JLS (and most other boybands): high teenage girl appeal, high general public appeal
One Direction: extreme teenage girl appeal, low general public appeal

While 1D's marketing strategy has arguably limited their sales, due to isolating them somewhat from the older market, I think in the longrun it's a strategy that will pay off. JLS outsold Up All Night, but Take Me Home has outsold Outta This World and I'll expect 1D's third album to comfortably outsell Jukebox. Why? Because 1D's sales rely on their extremely loyal fans, rather than a fickle public. Essentially they've hurt their short-term sales potential for the payoff of much increased longterm sales potential (by focusing entirely on attracting and keeping a fiercely loyal fanbase).

I won't say 1D are going to be high sellers for decades or anything, I still expect them to gradually drop off with their next few albums (especially in international markets like the US where they really struggle for airplay). They should do that far slower than JLS and the likes did, though.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 28th July 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #29
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Umi @ Jul 28 2013, 06:57 PM) *
I think One Direction have got a perfectly decent level of success for their marketing. At first glance it can seem curious that Up All Night has been comfortably outsold by JLS' début but it's really a case of the market they appeal to and how they go about getting that market. JLS were always aimed at teenage girls, but One Direction do that, only far more aggressively. JLS were always (cheesy) RnB/pop, which meant teenage girls and gays loved them but also older people could genuinely like their singles. One Direction on the other hand have been so bubblegum for the entirety of their career to date that they really eliminate the adult market (with the exception of Our Rooney).

So the obvious result is:

JLS (and most other boybands): high teenage girl appeal, high general public appeal
One Direction: extreme teenage girl appeal, low general public appeal

While 1D's marketing strategy has arguably limited their sales, due to isolating them somewhat from the older market, I think in the longrun it's a strategy that will pay off. JLS outsold Up All Night, but Take Me Home has outsold Outta This World and I'll expect 1D's third album to comfortably outsell Jukebox. Why? Because 1D's sales rely on their extremely loyal fans, rather than a fickle public. Essentially they've hurt their short-term sales potential for the payoff of much increased longterm sales potential (by focusing entirely on attracting and keeping a fiercely loyal fanbase).

I won't say 1D are going to be high sellers for decades or anything, I still expect them to gradually drop off with their next few albums (especially in international markets like the US where they really struggle for airplay). They should do that far slower than JLS and the likes did, though.

I'd be surprised if they're still around in a few years to be honest. They're the sort of act that history shows have a short shelf life, and again I expect they'd all want to go out on a high rather than a low if their popularity ever dwindles.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 28th July 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 28 2013, 11:26 AM) *
It always amazes me how people use sales figures as the hallmark of success.

Let's be honest they're absolutely massive. I'm not sure how, but they are. I can only think of a handful of acts/artists that are more well known and popular than them currently at the moment. Their albums have sold pretty well. They have no widespread appeal like a lot of the other acts mentioned in the topic already. They have a market which is somewhere between 10-25 and they're not the type of act who will pick up sales from your Mum's and Granny's like Westlife, Boyzone and Take That did because they're music is so different.

This is what people say to me about the Spices.

I want to make the same topic basically about the Spice Girls because they too, like 1D (and on a much larger scale) were massive, but their sales do not reflect this. They have sold less than Beyonce. Their sales are really low compared to what you would expect sales to be, and it's the same for the new big band, 1 Direction, too.

+Quote this post
zeze88
post 28th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Michael! @ Jul 28 2013, 09:55 PM) *

I want to make the same topic basically about the Spice Girls because they too, like 1D (and on a much larger scale) were massive, but their sales do not reflect this. They have sold less than Beyonce. Their sales are really low compared to what you would expect sales to be, and it's the same for the new big band, 1 Direction, too.

How they don't reflect? unsure.gif - they have after all sold 80 million records worldwide, that is A LOT, and that is with only 3 studio albums released which is VERY impressive smile.gif

This post has been edited by zeze88: 28th July 2013, 10:24 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 28th July 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(zeze88 @ Jul 28 2013, 11:22 PM) *
How they don't reflect? unsure.gif - they have after all sold 80 million records worldwide, that is A LOT, and that is with only 3 studio albums released which is VERY impressive smile.gif

As they have sold less than Shania Twain, less than Beyonce, less than Rihanna, a lot less than Britney, etc. And they were supposed to be this huge pop phenomenon, but they have few singles that are in the top 100 best-sellers, none even in the top 30. It's disappointing, as they were massive.

I guess with bands like 1 Direction and the Spices we have to use cultural impact as their barometer of success, as their sales aren't necessarily going to reflect how popular/ big they are.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 28th July 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #33
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Michael! @ Jul 28 2013, 11:34 PM) *
As they have sold less than Shania Twain, less than Beyonce, less than Rihanna, a lot less than Britney, etc. And they were supposed to be this huge pop phenomenon, but they have few singles that are in the top 100 best-sellers, none even in the top 30. It's disappointing, as they were massive.

I guess with bands like 1 Direction and the Spices we have to use cultural impact as their barometer of success, as their sales aren't necessarily going to reflect how popular/ big they are.

Sales are only one measure of success. People on this website use sales as the gospel. Poor sales = flop. I agree generally it's a good indicator, but it's not the measure of success all the time, especially in the 21st century with the new platforms we absorb material. You'd be extremely good to argue to me that Justin Bieber is currently the world's most talked about popstar. I'm sure 70-80% of the UK knows who he is. Anything he does is news worthy. If people weren't interested in him they wouldn't read/buy publications on websites and magazines. Cultural impact is a huge measure of success.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 28th July 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #34
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 28 2013, 10:18 PM) *
I'd be surprised if they're still around in a few years to be honest. They're the sort of act that history shows have a short shelf life, and again I expect they'd all want to go out on a high rather than a low if their popularity ever dwindles.

I really don't think they'll dwindle that quickly. It all depends on how good their marketing is but I expect them to have a small drop off with the next album (say 600k copies of that) and have a couple more small drop offs before they go into terminal decline. I do believe there's potential for proper longevity, but it'll take extremely good management.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 28th July 2013, 11:33 PM
Post #35
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Michael! @ Jul 28 2013, 10:55 PM) *

They're the best selling girl group of all time, not only in the UK, but worldwide. What's more, the main bulk of sales were concentrated in just a 2 year period. Their sales *do* reflect how massive they were! drama.gif

All of the (solo) artists that you listed have released numerous albums & singles over a longer period of time.

+Quote this post
zeze88
post 29th July 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Jạy @ Jul 28 2013, 11:33 PM) *
They're the best selling girl group of all time, not only in the UK, but worldwide. What's more, the main bulk of sales were concentrated in just a 2 year period. Their sales *do* reflect how massive they were! drama.gif

All of the (solo) artists that you listed have released numerous albums & singles over a longer period of time.

This. I mean, Rihanna and Britney have released 7 albums so far, Shania Twain is a country star and country is very important in the US. Plus, it is always more fair to compare boybands with boybands and girlbands with girlbands - I would never compare say, 1D with Timberlake as they are completely different. That is why I think that 1D are overrated as a boyband act.

This post has been edited by zeze88: 29th July 2013, 11:10 AM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 29th July 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Spice Girls sold mainly for 3 years and their sales in that time were astronomical. You can't take away their phenomenon because Beyoncé/Rihanna have sold more in than 3 times that time. You can't even compare One Direction to the Spice Girls because whatever you seem to think, the Spice Girls had the sales to go with their hype. Westlife area better comparison.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 29th July 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #38
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Also the reason why Take That have a wider appeal is because of the Captain, let's be honest. His willingness to write songs rubbed off on the rest of the band - perhaps more so when they came back. And people want a bit of musicianship in so far as a bit of it is what makes good pop music. One Direction just sell out to the lowest common denominator with songs that have just been cast off from other artists or writers who let's be honest, haven't exactly given them a "Back for Good" quality record.

Like for example Ed Drewett wrote their new single but it's nowhere the quality of "Dear Darlin" he wrote with Olly or even The Wanted's two best singles. Even Westlife and Blue managed to have one or two decent crossover hits to their name. And also when have you ever read about their music or even how they've got involved with writing or producing? ANSWER: Never. even the Spice Girls when they were at their height impressed upon how they wrote their songs or at least some of them. I guess it goes to show what 1D and their label's priority is: style over substance.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th July 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #39
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

To be fair they do write a few tracks per album. Sure, it's not loads, but they're SINGERS and not SONGWRITERS so it's no big deal. It's not a REQUIREMENT to write your own songs or whatever. It's nice, yeah, but I don't really care if they don't, and I think that goes for most people also.

+Quote this post
zeze88
post 29th July 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I think the bottom line is this: 1D will never gain a larger appeal if they stick with the songs like Kiss You and Best Song Ever which are catchy, but very juvenile and immature. And it looks like they are not changing the formula anytime soon as I saw a headline today with one of them saying their new single will be similar to Best Song Ever. I would have suspected at least tiny growth by 3rd album, but I guess Simon is sticking to that saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

About their writing... When you have 5-6 songwriters credited before your name, this shows they had a small input in those songs. Westlife didn't write a lot, maybe 20 songs in their entire career, but at least you can say they wrote the songs because they were credited first, while they wrote a few songs on their own.

But you are right, 1D are singers and they don't have to write - I just find it funny when some 1D or The Wanted fans keep saying they are also songwriters when it is pretty clear their input is small.

This post has been edited by zeze88: 29th July 2013, 06:11 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:42 AM