BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> COMPLETE: Taftys Top 100 Songs of 2023 • COUNTDOWN, Nothing but BOPS! MANJOBEE!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sergej
post 4th January 2024, 01:30 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi there Tafty!

From your album list I like: "Tension", "Endless Summer Vacation", "Something To Give Each Other", "Diamonds & Dancefloors" and "Dead Club City".

And from your Singles list I like:
063. Taylor Swift - I Can See You
068. Nothing But Thieves - Tomorrow Is Closed
069. TEYA & SELENA - Who The Hell Is Edgar?
070. Sophie And The Giants & Purple Disco Machine - Paradise
074. Olivia Rodrigo - get him back!
076. RAYE - Ice Cream Man.
078. Tate McRae - greedy
079. Dua Lipa - Houdini
080. Tyla - Water
089. Olivia Rodrigo - bad idea right?
098. Tate McRae - exes
100. Marco Mengoni - Due Vite

Great list so far!
Really need to catch up on my Year-End list myself.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 5th January 2024, 03:16 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

051. Tinashe - Tightrope
052. Leigh-Anne - Don't Say Love
053. AMAKA - Unfamiliar
054. Tinashe - Treason
055. Doja Cat - Ouchies
056. Tinashe - Talk To Me Nice
057. FLO feat. Missy Elliott - Fly Girl
058. Baby Storme - This City Is A Graveyard
059. Chappell Roan - Red Wine Supernova
060. P!NK - TRUSTFALL

Just missing out on the top 50... 3 times in this section!!!... we have the ever talented Tinashe with the Garage and Drum n Bass infused bop Tightrope. This sound REALLY works for her and although this is a great song in it's own right, she perfects the sound much better on a track that is still to come [/spoilers]. Leigh-Anne's debut solo effort Don't Say Love makes an appearance at #52. It's such a bop! Deserves way more than it ended up getting in the charts. Such a fun and catchy debut song! AMAKA is up next at #53. Unfamiliar was my BJSC entry a couple of months ago and it cruelly DNQ'd!! It's such an earworm and AMAKA's entire EP is solid and worth a listen to! It has this early-mid 00's vibe to it and it slaps. Tinashe's 2nd of 3 entries in this section is up next and falling at #54 is Treason. One of the mid-tempos on the album... but it's sonically one of the more interesting tracks she has done in a while. It's gorgeous and I should pay it more attention than I actually do! We have a 'Scarlet' track up next and it's Doja Cat's Ouchies. An immediate highlight for me from the album, however I was completely sold by the performance of it she did of it (I can't remember where it was for exactly) but this hits so hard! I can see it being a big hit for some reason. Especially if it was to take off on Tik Tok...

The final entry from Tinashe in this section comes in at #56. The lead single to the 'BB/ANG3L' era Talk To Me Nice "poppoppop"s off. It's production is extremely catchy and just really worms it's way into your head. Add that with Tinashe's mellow/chilled aura and vibe... recipe for success for me. Stunning track, even if it's not top half of the EP! FLO are up next as they are joined by Missy Elliott on their track Fly Girl. I was convinced this would be a smash for them... ugh. People sleep way too much on girl groups! A bop that deserved chart success! Baby Storme's This City Is A Graveyard first came to my attention when I saw a random Tik Tok of a group of dancers trying to do a dance sequence to this song... in the middle of a Target or Walmart or something and getting kicked out by security tearsmile.gif A BOP though! It'll be a Halloween staple for me now! At #59 we see another Chappell Roan entry and this time it's the bop Red Wine Supernova. It kind of feels like this is most people's favourite CR song, but there is a song that I actually prefer that's still to come! This is a banger though. Finally at #60 is P!NK's guaranteed at least one smash hit per era smash, TRUSTFALL. Drawing very early comparisons to some of Robyn's best work, I was intrigued but cautious. However, it's such a BANGER! Deserved everything it got and more!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th January 2024, 09:07 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I didn't give TRUSTFALL much time but think it's actually a pretty decent song, wasn't expecting P!NK to come out with a song with such heavy synths! I think it works quite well.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th January 2024, 03:43 AM
Post #24
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

It may or may not be of interest to you that the AMAKA song was sent to the most recent PopJustice Song Contest as well and it did a lot better there, finishing 3rd! Also it was in fact Baby Storme herself who was behind the failed Target flash mob for her song and then proceeded to make a bit of an idiot of herself on social media over it :') but the song is still great x

Also hard agree on 'Fly Girl' deserving much better and 'Ouchies' having hit potential, one of my biggest immediate standouts from the Doja album! A couple of great Tinashe tracks in that section too and I also enjoyed Leigh-Anne's debut much more than I expected so a good batch there in general.

Some faves from the earlier sections for me = 'I Can See You' (best TV vault track for me out of the ones I've heard), 'Who The Hell Is Edgar?' (this has clicked with me a lot more months after Eurovision, definitely appreciating the cleverness of the lyrics more), 'Ice Cream Man.', 'greedy', 'Wet Vagina' (did she have to call it that x) and 'Choose Your Fighter' (I didn't really get into anything off Ava's last album but she randomly came through with one of her best songs to date for me for a soundtrack throwaway lmao).

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 6th January 2024, 07:13 PM
Post #25
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

'Tomorrow Is Closed' is the best I've heard from Nothing But Thieves, an anthemic indie moment! 'TRUSTFALL' is great too.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 6th January 2024, 08:14 PM
Post #26
Group icon

046. The Last Dinner Party - Nothing Matters
047. Nothing But Thieves - Welcome To The DCC
048. Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha
049. Miley Cyrus - Flowers
050. Cannons - Crush

Into the top 50 we go and kicking us off at #46 is Nothing Matters which is a song by "BBC Sound of 2024" winners The Last Dinner Party. Took a good time to grow on me, but my GOD has it stuck with me now. It's very ABBA meets a Glam Rock band to me! It's ridiculously catchy and thoroughly worthy of it's praise! Nothing But Thieves next entry is at #47 and it's the incredible opener... Welcome TO The DCC. This was quite the comeback and introduction to a new era for them! You could tell they meant business with this. So impactful and an incredible opening song for their album. Another Eurovision entry up next and it's Käärijä with the infectious and catchy Cha Cha Cha. An absolute EARWORM! It hasn't aged the best, but it's still an absolute BANGER! Flowers by Miley Cyrus is up next... a song I really didn't expect to take off as immediately as it did! This is such an anomaly as she's struggled to bag another hit from the album, since! It's such a great song though and I am a big fan of this and it's parent album. Finally in this section is a song by the group Cannons. Crush is a dark-electro, 80's inspired pop bop! Quite a moody bop, but it works! Just a brilliant song. Deserves more praise and hype!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th January 2024, 03:17 PM
Post #27
Group icon

041. Ava Max - Last Night On Earth
042. Ava Max - One Of Us
043. Chappell Roan - Naked In Manhattan
044. Idinia Menzel - Funny Kind Of Lonely
045. Olivia Rodrigo - vampire

Edging close to the top 40 we have two Ava Max bangers from her 2nd studio album 'Diamonds & Dancefloors'. Last Night On Earth is not only instant, but it's the absolute biggest grower too! It's an incredible pop song that I really think if pushed correctly could've become a huge smash and following that song at #42 is One Of Us which, to me, is the closest to 'Heaven & Hell' we got on this album. Just a pure, bubblegum pop BANGER! It gives me a sense of nostlgia, which is incredibly weird considering it was only released in January 2023. SO GOOD! Always been an immediate highlight for me. Naked In Manhattan is another one of my BJSC entries and it is the highest Chappell Roan entry in my countdown. It's definitely my favourite song by her and it's just infectiously catchy and I love the 80's synth vibe of it. Another BJSC entry next, but it's another Ultraviolenceland entry. It's Queen Adele Nazeem with Funny Kind Of Lonely. I was blown away by this on first listen, outside of the Frozen soundtracks I haven't cared for anything else Idina has done since tbh, but this... utterly Euphoric pop, joy was NOT what I was expecting, but my GOD is it good?? Incredible stuff. At #45 is the final Olivia Rodrigo entry and it's the lead single vampire. It took me a while, but I finally got into this. I still don't go back to it as much as I perhaps should, but when I do hear it, I get lost in it and then the switch up... SO GOOD.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 8th January 2024, 02:11 PM
Post #28
Group icon

036. Leigh-Anne feat. Ayra Starr - My Love
037. Troye Sivan - RUSH
038. Alessandra - Queen Of Kings
039. Kelly Clarkson - red flag collector
040. Noa Kirel - Unicorn

Heading full blast into the top 40 now and kicking it off is a song that deserved SO MUCH MORE than it got. My Love by Leigh-Anne is an absolute stomper and both her and Ayra Starr compliment each other heavenly! The video is also one of the absolute BEST videos of the year. Just insanely good! Troye Sivan is up next at number 37 with his massive hit RUSH. It's not even top 3 on his album for me! (SPOILERS!!!) but this just goes tf OFF! When I heard he was delving into the house style for this era, I was worried. I am not a house fan at all, but I think this has the sensibilities of a Troye song that I have always loved, which is why it works so well for me. SO good. Alessandra is up next as the first of 2 Eurovision entries in this section. Her euphoric and empowering smash hit Queen Of Kings was an absolute instant highlight. It deserved it's top 5 placing in the contest. Just so empowering and anthemic! Another entry from Kelly Clarkson is here and it's the infectiously catchy red flag collector! The chorus is insanely catchy and I love the pop/rock vibe of this song. It also gives a very Western vibe in the beginning. JUST SO GOOD! Finally, we have Noa Kirel at #40 with her Eurovision banger, Unicorn. It was a consistent grower for me, but at it's peak I ADORED it! It definitely gets enhanced with the performance though when she asks if we want to see her dance *.* ICONIC.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th January 2024, 03:48 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Copying Pasting this in a odd order as currently on mobile lol.

071. Kylie Minogue - Hold On To Now
078. Tate McRae - greedy
079. Dua Lipa - Houdini
080. Tyla - Water
064. Bow Anderson - Midnight - a good bop that I was set on entering to BJSC but happy it did well anyway!
065. Charley - Worst Taste In Girls
067. SVEA - Dead Man Walking
069. TEYA & SELENA - Who The Hell Is Edgar? - deserved to do a bit better than it did sad.gif

052. Leigh-Anne - Don't Say Love
058. Baby Storme - This City Is A Graveyard
059. Chappell Roan - Red Wine Supernova - such a good pop track!
060. P!NK - TRUSTFALL

046. The Last Dinner Party - Nothing Matters - one I pointed quite highly in BJSC. Would like for this to become a top 100 hit officially which it looks like it could be.
044. Idinia Menzel - Funny Kind Of Lonely
037. Troye Sivan - RUSH
038. Alessandra - Queen Of Kings
040. Noa Kirel - Unicorn

biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 8th January 2024, 10:06 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

From the recent tracks you've posted, still loving Cha Cha Cha! Huge dose of energy and it really stood out in Eurovision. One Of Us is great too, Ava really knows how to make a solid pop bop. And of course Rush has become such an anthem music.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th January 2024, 06:41 PM
Post #31
Group icon

031. Rêve - Disco At The Strip Club
032. Troye Sivan - Honey
033. Tinashe - Needs
034. Victoria Monét - On My Mama
035. Loreen - Is It Love?

At number 31 is another entry from Canadian artist Rêve. This time it is her banger Disco At The Strip Club. A song that would absolutely smash had it been given some kind of push, I'm sure of it. The perfect blend of disco-pop with an insanely catchy chorus! At #32 is Troye Sivan album track Honey. An immediate highlight from his most recent studio album for me and I think it could go viral if it had a video similar to that of 'One Of Your Girls'. SOOOO good and absolutely up there as one of his absolute very best! Tinashe's ultra smooth and sexy Needs is up next. A song that seems to have gone viral, but at the same time, kind of hasn't tearsmile.gif You'll see this sound being used a fair bit on Tik Tok, but doesn't seem to have gained any proper momentum which is a damn shame tbh! An absolute BOP and deserves to be a smash... story of her career then I guess! At #34 is Victoria Monét with her breakthrough smash On My Mama. Ultra slick and smooth and seems to have been somewhat of a hit for her! The video is absolutely incredible. Deserves to be seen by as many people as possible. The song is crazy good and ridiculously catchy! At #35 is Loreen's second release this year. The follow-up to Eurovision winning single 'Tattoo' we have Is It Love?. A song that feels unfinished to me and finishes way, wayyyyy too soon! It's missing another chorus, a bridge and then a climax with a huge final chorus imo. But what an absolute BANGER all things considered though!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th January 2024, 12:07 AM
Post #32
Group icon

026. Rêve - Breaking Up With Jesus
027. Troye Sivan - Got Me Started
028. Kylie Minogue - Padam Padam
029. Tori Kelly - shelter
030. Doja Cat - Attention

Déjà vu as this section starts off exactly the same as the previous section! This time starting us off is Rêve's poptastic Breaking Up With Jesus. The broken down chorus is outstanding. "GOT. ME. ON. MY. KNEES. I'M. BEGGING PLEASE. OH. I FOUND. GOD. I'M. BREAKING UP WITH JESUUUS"... just so simple and catchy! So, SOOOOO good. Following suit again is another Troye track and it's the 2nd single Got Me Started which has a really unique sample choice, but my DAYYYYS does it just WORK??? I would never have imagined a chilled, relaxed pop banger would work well with that sample, but Troye managed to do it! Up next is one of the absolute songs of the Summer, Padam Padam by Kylie Minogue. Her most instant lead single for me since 'All The Lovers' 13 years prior! I didn't go back to this much after the album was released, but when I do, I love it just as much as I did when I first heard it! Tori Kelly is up next at #29 with the great shelter. This doing so terribly in BJSC for me broke my heart a lil... not gonna lie. It's an absolute TUNE! Not my favourite, but I figured this would probably do the best out of the songs from her EP! She still has 3 (!) tracks to come! Finally we have Doja Cat's comeback single Attention. The most appealing thing about this song to me is, that it sounds so, SO different to anything else I've heard in YEARS. It's very 90's alternative, hip-hop. It's fantastic and yet again, THE VIDEO is a damn SERVE! This truly does deserve more attention. She absolutely had a point to PROVE with this release and I think it paid off for her massively.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th January 2024, 08:21 PM
Post #33
Group icon

021. Tori Kelly feat. Ayra Starr - unbelievable
022. Miley Cyrus - Violet Chemistry
023. Nothing But Thieves - Pop The Balloon
024. Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?
025. Doja Cat - Demons

Missing out on the top 20 we have another Tori Kelly collaboration, this time it's the song with Ayra Starr. unbelievable is a mid-tempo, smooth BOP! It's one of those tracks that really does just work it's way into your affections and you don't even realise it. It's SO lush and wonderful. Also, I'm sure this is about female masturbation... "I know how to love myself, glisten on my wrist like snow, I don't need me no help, but you are unbelievable"... LIKE HELLOOOOO???? At #22 is an album track that REALLY should have been the follow up to 'Flowers'. Violet Chemsitry sees Miley re-team with DJ Mustard and give us an(other!) almighty BANGER! That hook really works it's way into your system and then doesn't let go! Up next, we have a song that really does feel like the PERFECT album closer I have heard in a long, LONG time. It's Pop The Balloon by Nothing But Thieves and it is an insanely powerful end to the album! So relentless and really doesn't let go... just insane from the beginning right the way to the end! On the other end of the spectrum and at #24 is Billie Eilish's emotional and absolutely stunning ballad What Was I Made For?. I am not the biggest Billie fan, but I really can't deny what an absolute BEAUT this song is and it's use in the 'BARBIE' movie is outstanding and extremely poignant! GORGEOUS. The final song in the top 25 to show up in the section is the incredible Demons by Doja Cat! Another song that wasn't released to be a hit, but rather another track that felt like it had something else to prove. The video is my favourite of the year and it's truly been a great year for Doja. Great stuff!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th January 2024, 09:01 PM
Post #34
Group icon

21-100 Re-Cap:

021. Tori Kelly feat. Ayra Starr - unbelievable
022. Miley Cyrus - Violet Chemistry
023. Nothing But Thieves - Pop The Balloon
025. Doja Cat - Demons
026. Rêve - Breaking Up With Jesus
027. Troye Sivan - Got Me Started
029. Tori Kelly - shelter

031. Rêve - Disco At The Strip Club
032. Troye Sivan - Honey
033. Tinashe - Needs
034. Victoria Monét - On My Mama
037. Troye Sivan - Rush
038. Alessandra - Queen of Kings
039. Kelly Clarkson - red flag collector
040. Noa Kirel - Unicorn

041. Ava Max - Last Night On Earth
042. Ava Max - One Of Us
044. Idina Menzel - Funny Kind of Lonely
050. Cannons - Crush

051. Tinashe - Tightrope
052. Leigh-Anne - Don’t Say Love
053. AMAKA - Unfamiliar
054. Tinashe - Treason
055. Doja Cat - Ouchies
056. Tinashe - Talk To Me Nice
058. Baby Storme - This City is a Graveyard
059. Chappell Roan - Red Wine Supernova
060. P!NK - TRUSTFALL

061. David Archuleta - Afraid To Love
062. Kelly Clarkson feat. Sheila E - that’s right
064. Bow Anderson - Midnight
065. Charley - Worst Taste In Girls
066. Kelly Clarkson - rock hudson
067. SVEA - Dead Man Walking
068. Nothing But Thieves - Tomorrow Is Closed
069. TEYA & SALENA - Who the Hell Is Edgar?
070. Sophie and the Giants & Purple Disco Machine - Paradise

071. Kylie Minogue - Hold On To Now
072. meltear - Tears Tail
073. Nothing But Thieves - Do You Love Me Yet?
075. Ava Max - Diamonds & Dancefloors
076. RAYE - Ice Cream Man.
077. Rêve - EX EX EX (Whoops)
078. Tate McRae - greedy
079. Dua Lipa - Houdini
080. Tyla - Water

081. Doja Cat - Wet Vagina
082. Dom Dolla feat. Nelly Furtado - Eat Your Man
083. Doja Cat - Skull And Bones
084. Tori Kelly feat. Jon Bellion - young gun
085. Ava Max - Cold As Ice
086. Charli XCX - Speed Drive
087. The Scarlet Opera - Alive
088. Blu DeTiger feat. Mallrat - Cut Me Down
089. Olivia Rodrigo - bad idea right?
090. Fefe Dobson - HUNGOVER

091. Doja Cat - Paint The Town Red
092. Tori Kelly - cut
093. Taylor Swift - Now That We Don’t Talk
094. Ava Max - Get Outta My Heart
095. Chappell Roan - HOT TO GO!
096. Addison Rae - Nothing On (But The Radio)
097. Rêve - Big Boom
098. Tate McRae - exes
099. Ava Max - Choose Your Fighter
100. Marco Mengoni - Due Vite

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 11th January 2024, 12:37 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'What Was I Made For? is absolutely stunning wub.gif 'Padam Padam' is a big bop too and LorQueen with a decent one there with the obvious still on the way lol!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 11th January 2024, 08:55 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Giving unbelievable a listen now as I'm interested to see how Ayra Starr sounds on a Tori Kelly song! It's actually sounding pretty fun, the afro-beats drum beat throughout makes it one you can move along to.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 11th January 2024, 09:28 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

So many tunes! Is It Love was such a brilliant follow-up to Tattoo but like you said, needed a little more time to grow into something really special. Violet Chemistry is a recent Miley fave and of course can't forget Kylie blessing us with a Padamic!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th January 2024, 11:07 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi there Tafty, here are my favourites from your latest selection:

037. Troye Sivan - Rush
038. Alessandra - Queen of Kings
040. Noa Kirel - Unicorn
042. Ava Max - One Of Us
052. Leigh-Anne - Don’t Say Love
060. P!NK - TRUSTFALL

Great list!
Can't wait for the rest!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 13th January 2024, 08:30 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Loads more great stuff since I last commented biggrin.gif

'Unicorn' was my favourite at Eurovision this year. So much energy in the performance and it was impossible to ignore!

The two Leigh-Anne tracks were a nice way to start her solo career. They're nowhere near as good as Little Mix's best work but they still deserved more success in the charts.

'vampire' was such a bold way for Olivia to comeback. I'm so glad it was another huge success for her.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th January 2024, 08:44 PM
Post #40
Group icon

20. KYLIE MINOGUE - VEGAS HIGH

> Taken from her latest album 'Tension', Vegas High is #20 in my top tracks of 2023 and it is Kylie's highest appearance in my chart this year. My favourite Kylie song in years. I instantly fell in love with this track from first listen of the album. It's euphoric, disco, dance, pop JOY! Incredible hook and chorus. I wish she'd followed 'Padam Padam' up with it instead of 'Tension' (house isn't *really* my thing). Just so good! <

---

19. KELLY CLARKSON - MINE

> Up next is a Kelly Clarkson single. Throwing us back to the good ol' days somewhat with this "Double A Side" type of release, we have the scorching mine. Serving powerhouse vocals, scolding lyrics and a production track that makes it sound like we're at the funeral of her shitty ex-husband. Amazing stuff! <

---

18. KELLY CLARKSON - ME

> ...and here is that "other side"! me is an empowering, self-loving power ballad. As per the norm for her, the vocals are out of this world. Sometimes I think I prefer 'mine' but then I listen to this and I am just a sucker for a powerful Gospel choir sometimes. Just so gorgeous and empowering! Should have been massive, imo. <

---

17. TORI KELLY - ALIVE IF I DIE

> Tori Kelly had such a great year for me here she is in my countdown with another track from her 'tori EP' alive if i die. I feel like this is the most "pure pop" sound on the EP. It has a really catchy melody and I love the way the verses are delivered on this. It's my favourite non-single on the EP and the chorus is just sublime. I love it so much! <

---

16. METTE - MAMA'S EYES

> METTE first grabbed my attention a couple of years ago with the excellent 'Petrified', but she kind of unintentionally fell off of my radar a little bit. I heard a snippet of this song on Tik Tok at some point and... it was immediate LOVE! Such a gorgeous song. I love the production so much and the lyrics are STUNNING. I need to pay more attention to her! <

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:18 AM