BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> k👠th EOY 2023
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
k👠th
post 5th January 2024, 03:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

k👠th EOY 2023

This countdown is based on what I've listened to the most between 10 Dec 2022 and 10 Dec 2023. This EOY has gone from a top 50 in 2021 to a top 75 last year and now a top 100 this year. A Spotify playlist recap will be posted with every reveal.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 5th January 2024, 04:24 AM
Post #2
Group icon
baddest of them all

96-100

96. Sofia Kourtesis - How Music Makes You Feel Better (25-2-16-20-26-44-38-30-33-38-44-43-xx) [12 wks]
97. Elkka - Hands (26-8-21-19-35-43-30-26-xx) [8 wks]
98. MRD & Narciss - Midsommar (39-2-6-17-17-29-34-40-31-19-xx) [10 wks]
99. RAYE feat. 070 Shake - Escapism. (50-34-39-12-10-18-22-26-30-33-xx) [10 wks]
100. TDJ - Save Me (11-5-7-14-19-20-23-28-17-38-xx) [10 wks]

Kicking off this year's EOY is Canadian DJ TDJ whose star has grown massively on the electronic dance scene since I entered her to BJSC 134 back in early 2021. The dreamily nostalgic trance anthem "Save Me" was a more polished affair from her and the first single from her BACK TO 123 EP released in early 2023. The first of 3 UK chart toppers in this year's EOY, "Escapism." by the talented RAYE felt like her big pop girl moment with its striking music video, bold lyrics and interesting soundscape. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into anything else from this era of hers.

jimwatts will be pleased to see Norwegian DJ MRD sneak in here with the retro ravey Narciss collab "Midsommar" which kicked off his incredible Løvehjerte era. A regular hitmaker on my chart, Cardiff-born Elkka grabbed another top 10 hit this year with "Hands", a celebratory instrumental which led the release of her DJ-Kicks album. Someone who had a huge year was Peruvian Sofia Kourtesis. "How Music Makes You Feel Better" does what it says on the tin. The final single that dropped before the release of her widely acclaimed debut album Madres, I preferred the more concise single edit of this track - the single edits of her previous releases have all been shoddy though x

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 5th January 2024, 09:54 AM
Post #3
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Hi Kath, what a start *.* those first 3 may well make my top 100 too! 'Save Me' has so much to appreciate from that break beat at the start onwards with the dreamy trance pulse and her gorgeous vocals.
QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 5 2024, 04:24 AM) *
jimwatts will be pleased to see Norwegian DJ MRD sneak in here with the retro ravey Narciss collab "Midsommar" which kicked off his incredible Løvehjerte era.
Indeed I am! cheer.gif This was the first I heard from MRD, soon after you'd introduced me to Aexhy - Do You Think About Me, here was another exponent of 80s New Order on a trance trip, but 'Midsommar' has such a pleasing build and song progression with flashes of prominent bassline - it sounds like it could have been a real world hit!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th January 2024, 10:07 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Pleased that you've expanded to a top 100 this year cheer.gif

'Escapism.' and 'How Music Makes You Feel Better' are my highlights from that section wub.gif I remember discovering the latter artist around the time of lockdown when I decided to randomly check out 'Sarita Colonia' on NMF, amazing to see how far she's come since!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th January 2024, 01:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Escapism. was a great track from RAYE, easily one of the most unique sounding hits of the year!

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th January 2024, 02:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Escapism was one of my favourite real world hits of the year too - probably was for most of Buzzjack really but well deserved!

Midsommar is great, the MRD album sounded solid off one listen with this being one of its standouts.

Hands was one of the more interesting Elkka songs I'd heard too.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th January 2024, 08:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Giving 'How Music Makes You Feel Better' a listen now, I'm quite enjoying it! I like how the songs evolves from start to end and also the little snippets of vocals that keep popping up throughout.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 5th January 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'Escapism' was a fab chart hit wub.gif

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 6th January 2024, 05:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
baddest of them all

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 5 2024, 11:54 AM) *
Hi Kath, what a start *.* those first 3 may well make my top 100 too! 'Save Me' has so much to appreciate from that break beat at the start onwards with the dreamy trance pulse and her gorgeous vocals.
Indeed I am! cheer.gif This was the first I heard from MRD, soon after you'd introduced me to Aexhy - Do You Think About Me, here was another exponent of 80s New Order on a trance trip, but 'Midsommar' has such a pleasing build and song progression with flashes of prominent bassline - it sounds like it could have been a real world hit!

Hey Jim! TDJ's vocals are really good for someone who is predominantly a producer. It suits the ravey trance she does so well! Likewise with MRD, who does give strong New Order vibes "on a trance trip" - love that description!

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 5 2024, 12:07 PM) *
Pleased that you've expanded to a top 100 this year cheer.gif

'Escapism.' and 'How Music Makes You Feel Better' are my highlights from that section wub.gif I remember discovering the latter artist around the time of lockdown when I decided to randomly check out 'Sarita Colonia' on NMF, amazing to see how far she's come since!

Thank you Jade cheer.gif Oh my! I don't think I've even heard 'Sarita Colonia', let me go check that one out! She really has come a long way, the critical acclaim of Madres and that amazing HOR set she did felt like such milestones in Sofia's career.

QUOTE(Dappy New Year @ Jan 5 2024, 04:32 PM) *
Escapism was one of my favourite real world hits of the year too - probably was for most of Buzzjack really but well deserved!

Midsommar is great, the MRD album sounded solid off one listen with this being one of its standouts.

Hands was one of the more interesting Elkka songs I'd heard too.

I've gone back to the MRD album quite a lot, it's really strong and cohesive for an electronic/trance release. Yeah, 'Hands' was a bit of swerve from Elkka, a banging one though it captured the DJ-Kicks vibe really well. Thanks Dan!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 5 2024, 10:52 PM) *
Giving 'How Music Makes You Feel Better' a listen now, I'm quite enjoying it! I like how the songs evolves from start to end and also the little snippets of vocals that keep popping up throughout.

Hey Pete! Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I'd highly recommend giving her album Madres a spin. It's electronic music with heart and a lot of inspiring stories behind each track.

QUOTE(Roba. @ Jan 6 2024, 12:57 AM) *
'Escapism' was a fab chart hit wub.gif

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Jan 5 2024, 03:19 PM) *
Escapism. was a great track from RAYE, easily one of the most unique sounding hits of the year!

Ty Roba and Joseph wub.gif totally agree. It was refreshing to see a longer pop song with a more unconventional sound do so well.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 6th January 2024, 05:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
baddest of them all

91-95

91. Skin On Skin - Magic (29-9-15-6-8-24-40-40-26-45-xx) [10 wks]
92. Mall Grab - Say Nothing (27-12-44-27-23-44-46-30-18-13-35-xx) [11 wks]
93. Sam Quealy - Seven Swords (21-6-2-2-2-4-...) [6 wks]
94 Nabihah Iqbal - This World Couldn't See Us (18-14-32-14-9-12-16-16-43-xx) [9 wks]
95. Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (46-44-13-14-26-20-19-35-50-xx) [9 wks]

The lead single and title track from Lana Del Rey's recent album had something really timeless and relatable about it that I kept coming back to. I was in the minority that preferred it to fan fave 'A&W'. 'This World Couldn't See Us' is the first of 2 entries from London musician, producer, DJ and broadcaster Nabihah Iqbal who I discovered through BJSC at the start of the year. She very deservedly won that contest and conveniently began a new album campaign right after that with this being her first new solo single in 5 years.

Australian techno pop princess Sam Quealy dropped the spoken word electroclash single 'Seven Swords' alongside her debut album Blonde Venus in late 2023. The music video for this song really elevates it so much. She's definitely one to watch. This snuck into the EOY after only 6 weeks of charting. Also in this section are 2 outsider house bangers from Skin On Skin and Mall Grab, the latter's 'Say Nothing' enjoyed a second wind on my chart thanks to it being played during KETTAMA's Boiler Room set.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 6th January 2024, 07:57 PM
Post #11
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

'...tunnel...' nicely set the tone for the album of the same name. 'Seven Swords' was a fab ETOTW discovery - in several weeks there, I've rooted for a fairly unknown act only for them to be beaten by a more established name, but that was one week where I swayed to the latter while voting and then preferred the former within a matter of hours later - another deserved BJSC medal for Kathaldazia too!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th January 2024, 08:17 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd' was such a grower for me - a beautiful start to the era <3 although I do confess to liking fan fave 'A&W' even more kink.gif

'Seven Swords' is an absolute banger! I remember voting for her in ETOTW and was happy you decided to take the song to BJSC as well, deserved smash *.*

Nabihah has been a bit of a revelation since BJSC <3 'This World Couldn't See Us' is great and I really liked 'Dreamer' as well

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th January 2024, 08:31 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Seven Swords was a really interesting BJSC entry - couldn't fully work out if the lyrics had a deeper meaning listening to the song but it definitely grew on me as the contest went on.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 6th January 2024, 09:49 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

Lana and Nabihah wub.gif kind of iconic that Nabihah made a comeback so soon after her BJSC win, she must've been stalking the site laugh.gif

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 7th January 2024, 09:13 PM
Post #15
Group icon
baddest of them all

86-90

86. Mall Grab - Foxes (12-5-7-11-12-18-8-15-43-xx) [9 wks]
87. George Clanton - I Been Young (27-19-23-14-6-8-19-49-43-xx) [9 wks]
88. Iglooghost - Rust Genome (35-11-13-14-8-10-15-40-xx) [8 wks]
89. Jayda G - Circle Back Around (30-15-18-13-12-32-39-23-24-34-50-xx) [11 wks]
90. Geo22 - Alchemy (15-17-24-28-19-20-26-47-xx) [8 wks]

Berlin duo Geo22 followed up their BJSC winner 'Magic' with the Gregorian techno, knightcore stomper 'Alchemy'. Their PR team claims this song is inspired by ancient texts and mystic traditions. Jayda G scored her biggest hit on my chart to-date with the warm and vibrant 'Circle Back Around' which she co-produced with Jack Peñate. Jayda voices her late father's advice back to herself in the lyrics which is named after a phrase he used in one of the archived clips included in the poignant music video.

The hard-hitting industrial bass of Iglooghost's 'Rust Genome' saw him into my top 10 for the 2nd time. It was inspired by pirate broadcasters hacking the ESPI Storm Network (an emergency weather channel) to play demo music. George Clanton who recently opened for Caroline Polachek on tour released the 90s stadium style anthem 'I Been Young' which shot up into my top 10 after its successful stint in BJSC. The dreamy tune also spent 8 weeks on the Buzzjack Multichart, peaking at number 39. And Mall Grab shows up again, this time with the synthtastic 'Foxes'

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 8th January 2024, 04:10 AM
Post #16
Group icon
baddest of them all

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 6 2024, 09:57 PM) *
'...tunnel...' nicely set the tone for the album of the same name. 'Seven Swords' was a fab ETOTW discovery - in several weeks there, I've rooted for a fairly unknown act only for them to be beaten by a more established name, but that was one week where I swayed to the latter while voting and then preferred the former within a matter of hours later - another deserved BJSC medal for Kathaldazia too!

I voted for something else that week and regretted it as well! Looking back, it's hard to believe that Woralks won that week of the poll! The 'Seven Swords' music video was only released a week or 2 later and that's what really sold the song to me and made me send it to BJSC I think. Thanks Jim!

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 6 2024, 10:17 PM) *
'Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd' was such a grower for me - a beautiful start to the era <3 although I do confess to liking fan fave 'A&W' even more kink.gif

'Seven Swords' is an absolute banger! I remember voting for her in ETOTW and was happy you decided to take the song to BJSC as well, deserved smash *.*

Nabihah has been a bit of a revelation since BJSC <3 'This World Couldn't See Us' is great and I really liked 'Dreamer' as well

Ty Jade heart.gif I must say, seeing you like 'Seven Swords' so much after the poll did give me a bit more confidence to send it to the contest! She also gave this really fun performance of the song on a French TV show *.*

Cool to see someone else on here appreciate 'Dreamer' (the song) - it peaked at number 9 on my chart wub.gif

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 6 2024, 10:31 PM) *
Seven Swords was a really interesting BJSC entry - couldn't fully work out if the lyrics had a deeper meaning listening to the song but it definitely grew on me as the contest went on.

Happy to read this cheer.gif I'm not sure about a deeper meaning but I've interpreted it as a motivational during struggle. Sam highlighted the words "redemption" and "one destiny" in social media posts about the song.

QUOTE(Ansel @ Jan 6 2024, 11:49 PM) *
Lana and Nabihah wub.gif kind of iconic that Nabihah made a comeback so soon after her BJSC win, she must've been stalking the site laugh.gif

Thanks Ansel ! A few of us seem to the think same about Nabihah lurking on Buzzjack laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 8th January 2024, 12:52 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Currently only familiar with 'Escapism'! tearsmile.gif

It's a BOP though!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 8th January 2024, 02:55 PM
Post #18
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Hey Kath - great to see Sofia Kourtesis already make an appearance. Madres is such a great album, so uplifting and warm! I couldn't easily pick a fave of the singles but “Si Te Portas Bonito” (complete with my dodgy pronunciation) ended up the highest on my EOY.

“Midsommar” was also an early favourite from early in the year - MRD applied his sound well to the Euro-Trance revival of 2k23.

Nabihah Iqbal and George Clanton are my favourites from those revealed so far, both having very strong years, and the singles from Iglooghost and Jayda G also went Top 10 for me too last year. Look forward to delving into some of the tracks that I missed.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th January 2024, 03:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Oh yes Nabihah slaying a lot in EOYs it would seem. I haven't given the album a listen in full yet and kinda drifted off listening to some of her songs, was probably tired or something so not taking it in properly perhaps lol but should change that this year. 'Seven Swords' and 'I Been Young' are both great BJSC tracks too. Pretty sure the latter was in my commiserations but was still had a cool retro 90s vibe going on with the accompanying video!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th January 2024, 07:50 PM
Post #20
Group icon

I Been Young was another fab BJSC track! One that really grew on me as the contest went on, the style of music was great even with the more sombre lyrics about growing up.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:10 AM