BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> New Lexico: Top 69
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

The good, The gay, The cheap, The Scruvovnia phase, The forgotten and, occasionally, The Bad.

Join me for the full countdown of every song I've sent to this contest where I reveal never before told secrets of how I found them, what drew me to them, what I was trying to achieve and where I stand now on each of my 69 entries.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 01:23 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
69. Infant Sorrow - Inside Of You (WORST New Lexico entry EVER)

Now, if you haven't seen the film 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' or gone through a Russell Brand phase in the year 2008 this'll mean nothing to you but it's essentially a send up of cock-rock balladry performed by a comedian/actor whose singing voice is at best raspy and at worst wispy. And who'd have known, people here didn't react to that particularly well. As the second entry I'd ever made, I can honestly say this was the one time in BJSC where I have absolutely no clue why I sent this or why I thought other people were going to lap this up.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 2 2018, 02:08 AM
Post #3
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
A certain song by a certain Alexandra is already too high.

(Lmao at Infant Sorrow though, that sugabloke really made some interesting choices back in the day eh)

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 02:17 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 2 2018, 03:08 AM) *
A certain song by a certain Alexandra is already too high.

(Lmao at Infant Sorrow though, that sugabloke really made some interesting choices back in the day eh)

Katherine Boner will be having her moment in due course!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 2 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I rather like Infant Sorrow! In a slightly ironic way. It's certainly not a Lex sound though.

+Quote this post
m
post Apr 2 2018, 09:25 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
ohgod I'm totally gonna wanna (shonna donna) do this as well now at some point ph34r.gif Would be cool if it became like maybe a monthly thing (or every two months or whatever) where a country gets the spotlight like this.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Apr 2 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #7
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
REALLY ???? LMFAO

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
THE CHEAP SEATS

64. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
65. Kate Winslet - What If
66. KT Tunstall - Other Side Of The World
67. Alesha Dixon - Breathe Slow
68. The Saturdays - Up

I've made an...editorial decision to dump all of the cheapest of the cheapest Allecian (which these all were, of course) entries ordered from the most to the least ridiculous. There may be worse quality songs than these in the songs to come but considering what I'd want to show off as my "BJSC songs", these songs just do not belong here so down to the bottom they go.

Y'see back in the days of 2008-9, the justification for most of these were "well, they haven't been released yet so they therefore can't claim to have been a number whatever hit so that's basically like a song that hasn't charted so ergo it can't be cheap" like clearly it took until the end of the 00s for the concept of "internet hype" as a vote influencer to be understood as something that could sway the results. But even then that doesn't justify KT Tunstall. I think I picked that because I just wanted an easy hit. It came last in the final.

It's seeing this list of entries during that era that kinda makes me glad I took about a 20 contest break from BJSC (i.e. the first Allecian sabbatical) because otherwise I'd have about 10 or so more cheap as hell entries like this to feature in any such future rundown.

Not my finest hour by any means but at least yesterday's results no longer means that this batch also contains my highest finisher. And thank god for that!

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
63. Divine - You Think You're A Man

Okay, so, during like the 2nd year of Uni and the beginnings of my learning of the history of queer pop music (my own "I'm so into vogueing right now" phase) I discovered this old camp classic and was like, yaknow what, BJSC is full of queers, I bet everyone will ironically and unironically live for this. And then it came last in the semi (aided by me not being able to find a video of a high enough quality in the mix I wanted so I ended up going with the honky tonky LQ version on YouTube). As somebody I think even said in the opening of the semis thread..."Really?"

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
62. Jamie McDell - You'll Never Take That Away

What a lot of these flops have taught me is that girls with accoustic guitars are always less popular on here than I think they are. This isn't bad by any means but I'm almost 100% sure that I had something else in the pipeline for that month that would at least have had more of a fighting chance than this. Also the volume on the mix is really quiet for some reason and aint nobody gon' be voting for a passable track that they can barely hear. Still, if and when summer arrives and you fancy some nice background music to a BBQ then this will at least get people nodding and tapping their feet.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
61. Mel C - Carolyna

I saw somebody who I knew played BJSC say that they liked this song in a different thread and so I entered it into BJSC. No, really, I did. And it's good, don't get me wrong, but that late 00s "pop star trying to go rocky" is so not my sound I think it's really obvious that this was me, again, trying to chase a hit rather than going with something I liked.

And, like, in the contest where the fight was between I Kissed A Girl and Just Dance, this was always going to be outclassed.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 2 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
What If and Smells Like Teen Spirit though wub.gif wub.gif At least that was the good type of cheapness x

+Quote this post
Brer
post Apr 2 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Oh I actually forgot about Jamie McDell, perhaps the Boner did deserve top 68 after all. Divine was... a little dodgy as well xx

I do actually really like 'Carolyna' though (one of the best solo Spice songs I know of), and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and 'Up' are great songs if not exactly very BJSC. You casually throwing out your former biggest hit in 68th tho!!1

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
sugabloke was the OG Saturdays stan on BuzzJack!

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 2 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
60. Polly Scattergood - Disco Damaged Kid

On paper this is a pretty typical 2012-14 bjsc hit formula, a female fronted electro pop song with a tinge of indie in there but not so much that it puts off the very pop voters. The problem is that the melody is pretty weak and, almost unforgivably for a New Lexico song has a piss weak hook. If only I'd sent Wanderlust, the other Polly Scattergood song I was considering sending as that was far better

Not like this was a winner or anything but it's a darn sight better than what I did send. Lesson Learned: Always go with the single over the album track!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Apr 3 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I still really wanna know your mindset when you entered Nirvana. 90’s grunge doesn’t seem something that’s of the NewLex brand (unless for nostalgic reasons)

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 3 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
QUOTE(Cody Melton @ Apr 3 2018, 06:28 PM) *
I still really wanna know your mindset when you entered Nirvana. 90’s grunge doesn’t seem something that’s of the NewLex brand (unless for nostalgic reasons)

IDK I think I was having a "real musik" phase (and I had a very rock music liking social group in Year 7 (translation: 7th grade)) at the time.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 3 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
People's teenager tastes are a crapshoot when it comes to identifying what they'll like in later life. Plus if I'd have been entering in 2008 I'd probably have done something similarly non-me.

No losses so far, that's good. Wanderlust was definitely the right Polly Scattergood track, not that it's THAT good, but it's a lot better than the other one.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Apr 3 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #19
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
QUOTE(Iz @ Apr 3 2018, 10:42 AM) *
People's teenager tastes are a crapshoot when it comes to identifying what they'll like in later life. Plus if I'd have been entering in 2008 I'd probably have done something similarly non-me.
I know the feeling (although my tastes were some weird combo of what was on the radio at the time and some pop punk)

+Quote this post
LexC
post Apr 3 2018, 06:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
The "Meh" Pile

56. BETABLOCK3R - Don't Take Me Home (feat. Vic and Gab)
57. Felix Cartal - Let It Go (feat. Lily Elise)
58. Jetta - Can You Hear Me Now?
59. Kimberly Caldwell - On The Weekend

Now I'm calling this the "meh" pile because I think they mostly got entered because I was dry for inspiration so just went with these ones because I had nothing better. That Jetta song is only available as a live version as the studio version seems to have disappeared from soundcloud/Spotify.

I have so little to say about any of these individually that it's hardly a surprise that none of these were good enough to qualify from the semis. Basically they're all good and within the spirit of the contest that I'm not ashamed that I entered them but I think in this mix of 69 they all fade into the background slightly.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:13 PM