BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Jeremy Kyle Show axed by ITV
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post May 13 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
No more Jeremy Kyle shows will be broadcast or filmed, including ITV2 repeats, until further notice, after a person died recently a week after being filmed for the show.

ITV is investigating whether the death had anything to do with appearing on the show and that episode will never be broadcast.

Today's show was pulled from the schedule by the ITV Network at the last minute.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 13 2019, 09:29 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 13 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
It means a celebrity special starring former EastEnders actress Danniella Westbrook and X Factor singer Christopher Maloney, which was due to air tomorrow, has been put on hold.

What on earth went wrong there for this to happen? Speculation about what happened. I often wonder about the aftercare on that show. I know they got into trouble from Ofcom for featuring a distressed 17 year old girl a few years ago.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 13 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Rumours are that a woman committed suicide a few days after being upset about the results of a lie-detector test. All episodes have even been removed from the ITV Hub. Westbrook has Tweeted that she's been told by ITV that her episode will be shown at a later date.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post May 13 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
This show is truly disgusting, an entertainment presenter and a live studio audience making villains and jeering at vulnerable people that need proper mental and clinical help, it doesn't surprise me at all that most people leave there worse off than before. It's horrible that something like this to happen for it to finally be investigated, but here's hoping this can finally be the end of this horror show.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 13 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
From Mail Online.

A 62-year-old grandfather was found dead within days of being ‘humiliated and traumatised’ on The Jeremy Kyle Show when he failed a lie detector test on the programme, his landlady said last night.

Steven Dymond was said to have been left in tears and feeling suicidal after filming for the show with his on-and-off girlfriend.

The programme, which was due to air this week, was pulled from the TV schedules after the digger driver was found dead in his bedroom on Thursday last week following a suspected suicide.

In the days before his death Mr Dymond had reconnected with his estranged son, who told him he had become a grandfather, although he never got to see his son again or meet his grandchild.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post May 14 2019, 01:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
MPs are now currently calling for the show to be cancelled completely

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 14 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Honestly surprised it’s taken this long. It’s a toxic vile hellmouth of a show and we as a country would be better without it.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 14 2019, 04:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Its not just the Jeremy Kyle show as well. There seems to be a problem on ITV with:

Loose Women over the Colleen Nolan/ Kim Woodburn row
Love Island -2 deaths of ex contestants

All this in the space of less than 12 months. Something needs to be done by ITV.

But someone taking their life, surely there is no way back for this show. Hasn't there been a case like this on The Jerry Springer Show as well?

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 14 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(lewistgreen @ May 14 2019, 02:18 PM) *
MPs are now currently calling for the show to be cancelled completely

I don't see why it should be. As many are saying on Twitter no-one's forced to go on and they must all know what it's about after 14 years! Who can say whether appearing on the show caused him to commit suicide. I'm a firm believer in the accuracy of the lie detector so reckon he had cheated. He may have committed suicide because he'd been found out. He was adamant that he hadn't cheated and went on to prove it but unfortunately that backfired. Who knows though? Only him and he's dead now. Yes it's sad and I'd rest the show now until September than start showing it again when this has died down.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 14 2019, 04:29 PM

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post May 14 2019, 04:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
QUOTE(Mack. @ May 14 2019, 09:09 AM) *
Its not just the Jeremy Kyle show as well. There seems to be a problem on ITV with:

Loose Women over the Colleen Nolan/ Kim Woodburn row
Love Island -2 deaths of ex contestants

All this in the space of less than 12 months. Something needs to be done by ITV.

But someone taking their life, surely there is no way back for this show. Hasn't there been a case like this on The Jerry Springer Show as well?
i ain't british but i have a feeling these are the signs of a dying channel

then again in the us one primetime channel's CEO was convicted of sexual assault and that channel is somehow still alive so

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post May 14 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #11
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
It should be, but ITV will definitely be reluctant to cancel it. It's their most rated show in daytime. Dickinson's Real Deal got less than half today of what Kyle would get.

If it does come back - it would probably be in a completely revised form, to the point where it wouldn't be worth doing it. They'll probably just replace it with Judge Rinder or make a new gameshow.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 14 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Statement just now from ITV.

The statement reads: ‘ITV has many years experience of broadcasting and creating programmes featuring members of the public and each of our productions has duty of care measures in place for contributors. These will be dependent on the type of show and will be proportionate for the level of activity of each contributor and upon the individual. All of our processes are regularly reviewed to ensure that they are fit for purpose in an ever changing landscape. ‘In the case of The Jeremy Kyle Show, the programme has significant and detailed duty of care processes in place for contributors pre, during and post show which have been built up over 14 years, and there have been numerous positive outcomes from this, including people who have resolved complex and long-standing personal problems. ‘Prior to the show a comprehensive assessment is carried out by the guest welfare team on all potential contributors.

The guest welfare team consists of four members of staff, one consultant psychotherapist and three mental health nurses. ‘The guests are interviewed by guest welfare face to face at studios and prior to filming. Throughout filming the participants are supported by the guest welfare team in the studios during the recording phase of their show. After filming has ended all guests are seen by a member of the guest welfare team to ensure they are feeling calm and emotionally settled before any participant leaves to travel home. ‘An evaluation of their needs is also carried out at this time and should they require any ongoing service regarding the problem they discussed on the show then appropriate solutions are found for them. This could include residential rehabilitation, counselling, anger management, family mediation, child access mediation or couple counselling for example.

‘The day after recording of the show the participant will be contacted by production to carry out a welfare check and provide details of the services that have been sourced for them. The production team keep in touch with the participants in the days between recording and transmission and participants are given a production mobile contact number should they need to contact the show at any point following transmission. ‘To continue best practice, we regularly review our processes. ‘As we have said, everyone at ITV and The Jeremy Kyle Show is shocked and saddened at the news of the death of a participant in the show a week after the recording of the episode they featured in and our thoughts are with their family and friends. We will not screen the episode in which they featured.

‘Given the seriousness of this event, ITV has also decided to suspend both filming and broadcasting of The Jeremy Kyle Show with immediate effect in order to give it time to conduct a review of this episode of the show, and we cannot comment further until this review is completed. No decision as to the long-term future of the show has been made and cannot be made until investigations are completed which may take some time.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 14 2019, 04:45 PM

+Quote this post
Calum
post May 14 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
QUOTE(Common Sense @ May 14 2019, 05:24 PM) *
I don't see why it should be. As many are saying on Twitter no-one's forced to go on and they must all know what it's about after 14 years! Who can say whether appearing on the show caused him to commit suicide. I'm a firm believer in the accuracy of the lie detector so reckon he had cheated. He may have committed suicide because he'd been found out. He was adamant that he hadn't cheated and went on to prove it but unfortunately that backfired. Who knows though? Only him and he's dead now. Yes it's sad and I'd rest the show now until September than start showing it again when this has died down.

Why am I not surprised the idea of exterminating this show is so life-shattering to you?

Nobody's denying that people don't know what they're signing up for when they go on the show (you know that if you're being accused of something you'll face a lie detector test, etc), but that's completely missing the point. What's being brought into question is the aftercare people receive and the manner in which they go about things.

If ITV really don't know by now that they need to improve the care they provide both during and after shows like this (see Love Island too), they need to stop. Continually milking something for all it's worth while at the same time people are committing suicide as a result of life after these shows and poor aftercare is just vile.

Katie Hopkins' tweet from earlier today was so on point it hurt:

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 14 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Calum @ May 14 2019, 05:46 PM) *
Why am I not surprised the idea of exterminating this show is so life-shattering to you?

It's not life-shattering at all as I haven't watched a single episode for about 4 years as am out with the dog at that time.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 14 2019, 05:12 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
No matter how good the after-care is and ITV said today in it's statement above that it's very good, before and after the recording and broadcast, no-one can stop someone committing suicide if they really want to.

The guy's girlfriend Jane Callaghan has today said she believes the test was correct.

“He was quietly struggling, and we didn’t know at the time.

“He cheated on me, I know he did.

“I can’t forgive but I just want him to be alive.”

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 14 2019, 05:29 PM

+Quote this post
Calum
post May 14 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
QUOTE(Common Sense @ May 14 2019, 06:12 PM) *
No matter how good the after-care is and ITV said today in it's statement above that it's very good, before and after the recording and broadcast, no-one can stop someone committing suicide if they really want to.

Obviously ITV are going to claim their aftercare is satisfactory and all things wonderful, but given how many people have spoken out about it there's clearly an issue they're failing to acknowledge. Two people have taken their own lives after appearing in Love Island. Another contestant has spoken out about how terrible it was. I'm sure there are many others that will feel the same.

People commit suicide, yes, but there needs to be some form of accountability in terms of what may (or may not have) led to such a tragedy happening.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post May 14 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
It’s always been an awful show exploiting troubled people. I remember the week i stared my first teaching placement, the parents of a girl at the school were on this show. She was extremely embarrassed.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post May 14 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
It's always been a bit of a media circus and never felt quite right, it's a surprise it took this long for something like this to happen but of course still awful sad.gif

It's one thing saying they know what they're getting into, yes they do, but this show grabs up those who are already socially and economically disadvantaged and won't necessarily have the support in place, or be able to access it. If the channel is delving into people's lives and problems for entertainment for views and money, they have a duty of care, whether that's for Love Island or for this, and clearly they aren't doing enough.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post May 14 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
They need to get rid of other similar shows - 'Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away' is another one, preying on vulnerable issues with debt problems. That one is potentially worse as they rock up at your house unannounced with a full camera crew on what has the potential to be one of the worst days of your life. I've seen someone on there not affording to pay back a funeral company for her Mother - she was obviously very mentally ill and grief stricken, it's disgusting really.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post May 14 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away has definitely ended - they haven't made new episodes for a few years now.

I think Channel 5 are trying to phase out their benefits documentaries and what's seen as 'trashy' TV. The controller was glad to get Big Brother off the channel.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:35 AM