BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MADONNA XIV ♦ what do we want?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post 19th January 2016, 01:00 AM
Post #1
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

Madonna, for someone who is one of the most powerful musicians in music, could do whatever album she wants to. Yet it seems over the last ten years instead of setting the trends, she's been trying to chase them or hold onto past glories, proving for some great music don't get me wrong but there's also been some REALLY misinformed choices, making it a bit of a struggle to be a Madonna fan. I know that we all grow to love her quirky choices etc, but when's the last time you took the FIRST listen of a Madonna album and went 'yep, the bitch got it RIGHT'.

For a woman with ALL of the connections in the world and the music world at her fingertips, she could really do whatever album she felt like. What do YOU want from Madonna's 14th studio album? Do you want her to explore ideas that she didn't fully realise in her past material? Do you want her to explore the plethora of unknown producers and start trendsetting again, or would you prefer her to go the route of our Kylie's and Cher's and fully submit to the fact she'll be making music for gays until the end of time?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 19th January 2016, 01:05 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

I want her to recover her songwriting ability. She seems to have lost it sometime in the last ten years.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 19th January 2016, 01:09 AM
Post #3
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

oh she's never been much of a writer though. she seems to do best when she explores spiritual themes and then couples that with production that compliments that

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 19th January 2016, 01:11 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

Other cities make me feel like a dork>>>>>>All of Drowned World.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th January 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I want her to commit to a concept/theme/idea and run with it. Rebel Heart is a move in the right direction, for sure, but the bloated run time and almost total mismatch between the sounds she is working with leads to a messy album, without focus or grounding. I would obviously much prefer she ditched the nasty faux ghetto shtick which is just ridiculous and the single most harmful thing to her legacy, but I'd probably accept it more if she didn't show such pop GENIUS in Ghosttown (and various others from the album). I think she's trying to be all things to all fans at this stage and it won't work.

Ideally, she would take the time to make a strong 12/13 track album, of any genre (preferably the old faithful pop dance, but I'd be happy with an album of slower numbers like Ghosttown, Joan Of Arc, Messiah etc) and make it work as a package, rather than a buffet line. It won't make a difference commercially, it'll still sell ~500k no matter what, so she might as well service her ever dwindling fanbase.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th January 2016, 01:19 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Basically, what I'm saying is, she's released her best single since at least Hung Up (and much as I love it and think it's the best song ever, it's hardly artistic GOLD) in the form of Ghosttown and earned more praise than she has in a decade, probably since the late 90's, so that seems like it might be a smart route to go down.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th January 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I agree with what John said really, Rebel Heart was a step in the right direction and for the first time in about a decade felt like she actually had something to say and a point to it, but it was bogged down by crap as well (which could be sorted if she stuck to a theme and didn't make it overly long and pile on fillers to make it seem like she's covering all bases and throwing shit at a wall).

Basically she needs to realise her days as a hit making commercial entity are gone, there's not a lot she can do about that and to make it completely focused/fluid.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 19th January 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

No more Nicki Minaj.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 19th January 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

She needs to write with Patrick Leonard again!!

I live rebel heart but a couple of songs really should have not made the album!
To be honest I'm not a fan of guy oseary has her manager either.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 19th January 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
User: 13,007

Hmm where to start.

Firstly Leww your OP and opinions there are spot on. She has for the past 3 albums tried to chase trends rather than set them and while that is not the reason Madonna is Madonna, I can't help but LOVE her chasing trends too laugh.gif 'MDNA' is such a huge guilty pleasure (which i'm not guilty for loving lol), but Rebel Heart it totally brilliant. It's about 1/4 chasing trends, 3/4 harking back to classic Madge and frankly I enjoy both in equal measure laugh.gif

Moving forward though, I *do* want more of a total concept album as some of you guys are stating too. That's what made her earlier albums so special, you knew exactly what mood it would leave you in because the entire album was packaged and shaped with a vision , both musically and lyrically. The recent albums have been very through-everything-at-the-wall and see what sticks (despite me loving them). I would love her to strip it back. She has shown she still has incredible ballad prowess: Ghosttown, Messiah. HeartBreakCity, Best Night, Joan Of Arc and many more are all incredible moments so an album where she does more of that would be fantastic. There is so much goodness on 'Rebel Heart' but I wish it could've been done in two parts to separate the dual identities in it!

Whatever direction she goes in though, I just hope we actually get more music. I can't fathom the thought of not getting any more music from her. sad.gif

+Quote this post
post 20th January 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I want her to work on the power of editing. I think it was very apt that Rebel Heart appeared on both Popjustice's reader's worst albums and best of 2015. I can agree with both. Rebel Heart included, in my opinion some of her strongest work in years but the album was too long, she needs to trim the fat. If it had been 10 tracks / 12 Deluxe, I think she would have had a much stronger, cohesive album and would have probably done better critically and maybe even commercially. I want a solid, album with a clear direction and not too many ideas that don't gel too well together.

A trend of 80s pop sound is coming back at the moment, I'd love her to bring back some of her really old synthy pop sound.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th January 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Jan 19 2016, 09:11 PM) *
Whatever direction she goes in though, I just hope we actually get more music. I can't fathom the thought of not getting any more music from her. sad.gif

I believe she is contracted for one more album (it was a 4 album deal signed in 2007, we've had 3). I think she's well aware that the money is in touring, but Rebel Heart seemed to have a bit of the old Madonna spark back, so I'm hoping she still keeps putting albums out even if just to have some new (shoddy) material to clog up her setlists.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th January 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Ok we're safe for at least one more then which is good to hear! Maybe a greatest hits collection/re-package after that too. thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 21st January 2016, 12:24 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Bitch hasn't had a HIT since the last one!!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 21st January 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Didn't stop Anastacia.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 21st January 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #16
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

put that disclosure meeting to good use and give us a deep house BANGA

+Quote this post
Qween
post 21st January 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 21 2016, 01:18 PM) *
Didn't stop Anastacia.

The rules of sprock are so very different.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st January 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I also think when she is 60 she will do a hits tour.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 24th January 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

I'd be happy with Confessions Part 2. A good disco infused pop album.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Jan 24 2016, 09:22 PM) *
I'd be happy with Confessions Part 2. A good disco infused pop album.

That would be the massive dream but it will never happen.

I doubt any album can ever top that one for me so I'd rather she went for a different sound and didn't even try to in all honesty!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:05 PM