BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Do you prefer adversarial or cooperative politics?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Do you prefer adversarial or cooperative politics?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
Popchartfreak
post 27th February 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 27 2018, 03:02 PM) *
Maybe that's true, but you only *hear* about it being done by one side.
Must I quote Voltaire again? unsure.gif

For me, there's no incompatibility between condemning the actions they advocate, while accepting their right to say them.

No, YOU only hear one side of it. As Suedey says, when you are involved in sane sources you see where the real demented people are, and they are far more often far right. Left-wing people dont as a rule murder politicians, advocate slavery and genocide, try to remove the vote from people and lie incessantly about everything.

SOME lefties have intolerant attitudes or their own pet peeves which dont justify it - being liberal is not a heinous crime for a start, nor is being Jewish, a woman, or gay - but when you hear of a shooter having just murdered a bunch of schoolchildren you just KNOW he's going to be right-wing (and it's always a he, and invariably a white he).

Facts you choose to ignore, as you always choose to ignore anything that doesn't fit your world-view.

Voltaire. Quote Solitaire if you like. You can't fight for people's right to be allowed to say anything and then whinge about a selective few who you don't agree with while ignoring those that are truly truly pernicious. That's being hypocritical.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 28th February 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 27 2018, 06:58 PM) *
I suggest you branch out a little on social media. Just try looking at some of the things said about Dianne Abbott. At least the likes of Boris Johnson tend to be attacked for their opinions rather than their appearance.

You're not seriously suggesting that any gaffes she makes should be ignored, because drawing attention to them would be racist? huh.gif

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Feb 27 2018, 07:06 PM) *
You only hear about one side because the mail only choses to report one side.

How did I guess that you'd say something like that? smile.gif

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 27 2018, 08:11 PM) *
No, YOU only hear one side of it.
You too. rolleyes.gif

As Suedey says, when you are involved in sane sources you see where the real demented people are, and they are far more often far right. Left-wing people dont as a rule murder politicians, advocate slavery and genocide, try to remove the vote from people and lie incessantly about everything.

SOME lefties have intolerant attitudes or their own pet peeves which dont justify it - being liberal is not a heinous crime for a start, nor is being Jewish, a woman, or gay - but when you hear of a shooter having just murdered a bunch of schoolchildren you just KNOW he's going to be right-wing (and it's always a he, and invariably a white he).

Facts you choose to ignore, as you always choose to ignore anything that doesn't fit your world-view.
I resent the implication that I think it's OK for someone to 'go postal', as long as they are *right-wing* loons! ohmy.gif

Do you honestly think that mass shootings don't appall me as much as they do you? huh.gif

Voltaire. Quote Solitaire if you like. You can't fight for people's right to be allowed to say anything and then whinge about a selective few who you don't agree with while ignoring those that are truly truly pernicious. That's being hypocritical.

From the context, I assume you have specific examples in mind? If so, would you mind listing them?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th February 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 28 2018, 07:35 AM) *
You're not seriously suggesting that any gaffes she makes should be ignored, because drawing attention to them would be racist? huh.gif
How did I guess that you'd say something like that? smile.gif

You too. rolleyes.gif

I resent the implication that I think it's OK for someone to 'go postal', as long as they are *right-wing* loons! ohmy.gif

Do you honestly think that mass shootings don't appall me as much as they do you? huh.gif
From the context, I assume you have specific examples in mind? If so, would you mind listing them?

1. Nobody suggested that.
2. Because it's true.
3. I read widely and see what is being said widely, yuo admit you don't. Why are you surprised we pick up on that and comment accordingly?
4. There is no implication. I'm just stating facts so you stop making blase vague anti-left statements with no basis to them. Not calling you anything or saying you support or are involved in anything like it. Thought that was fairly clear, but if not, happy to confirm that here. That you choose not to publicly condemn all the many right-wing cases of injustice is a matter for you, but it undermines your credibility as a fair-minded observer of reality.
5. I'm not going to start repeating heinous twitter users and give them more publicity on here, but they exist if you want to go and search for them. Alternatively just follow Donald Trump, he has an endless supply of hateful, racist, callous lies on a daily basis. If you mean an example of you being selective, just read through your recent posts and then read through everyone's response to them. You do a lot of digs for trivial stuff, but don't post topics like:

Is it right for the Ku Klux Klan to want all black people dead or enslaved?

Obviously it would be a very short thread and pointless (the answer is No, no discussion required) and I've taken an extreme example, but you have a habit of not condemning far right actions.

What one doesn't say sheds light on what one does say, and if people make assumptions you dont care for it's very easy to correct those wrong impressions with a single sentence amongst the many you type each day. Not difficult, and nothing to be ashamed of - except you seem to think it undermines your other arguments (which it doesn't, it strengthens them) to condemn a far-right loon for some views because he or she may also hold other views you agree with. It doesn't work like that....

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 28th February 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Agreed with everything you say John.

This statement of vid's, that it is only the left who instigate 'online trials', as if that means anything and right print and news media don't instigate their own far more dangerous and damning trials on a weekly basis, might have had a slim chance of making a point a few years ago. But not now. Twitter, some subreddits, 4chan, virtually anywhere where Trump supporters, Brexit supporters and anywhere else hang out in droves is filled with attacks on the 'unreasonable left' and laughing at the stupidity of 'liberals' (again forgetting that liberal generally means a much more centrist view than what they think). If anything it's the left who DON'T currently have the power to limit the spectrum of discussion.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 28th February 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 28 2018, 01:00 PM) *
1. Nobody suggested that.
2. Because it's true.
3. I read widely and see what is being said widely, yuo admit you don't. Why are you surprised we pick up on that and comment accordingly?
4. There is no implication. I'm just stating facts so you stop making blase vague anti-left statements with no basis to them. Not calling you anything or saying you support or are involved in anything like it. Thought that was fairly clear, but if not, happy to confirm that here. That you choose not to publicly condemn all the many right-wing cases of injustice is a matter for you, but it undermines your credibility as a fair-minded observer of reality.
5. I'm not going to start repeating heinous twitter users and give them more publicity on here, but they exist if you want to go and search for them. Alternatively just follow Donald Trump, he has an endless supply of hateful, racist, callous lies on a daily basis. If you mean an example of you being selective, just read through your recent posts and then read through everyone's response to them. You do a lot of digs for trivial stuff, but don't post topics like:

Is it right for the Ku Klux Klan to want all black people dead or enslaved?

Obviously it would be a very short thread and pointless (the answer is No, no discussion required) and I've taken an extreme example, but you have a habit of not condemning far right actions.

What one doesn't say sheds light on what one does say, and if people make assumptions you dont care for it's very easy to correct those wrong impressions with a single sentence amongst the many you type each day. Not difficult, and nothing to be ashamed of - except you seem to think it undermines your other arguments (which it doesn't, it strengthens them) to condemn a far-right loon for some views because he or she may also hold other views you agree with. It doesn't work like that....

1. Then how does one go about calling her out on gaffes *without* being accused of racism?

3. Yes, I mainly read the Mail, but you've surely seen me post URL's from the Guardian, and I read from other sources too - I just don't make an issue of them.

It's that people automatically assume the worst of me unless I make a specific statement otherwise, that bugs me. I doubt anyone else here feels obliged to make such a statement every time they comment on a new issue, so why should that be required of me?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 28th February 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 28 2018, 03:05 PM) *
1. Then how does one go about calling her out on gaffes *without* being accused of racism?

3. Yes, I mainly read the Mail, but you've surely seen me post URL's from the Guardian, and I read from other sources too - I just don't make an issue of them.

It's that people automatically assume the worst of me unless I make a specific statement otherwise, that bugs me. I doubt anyone else here feels obliged to make such a statement every time they comment on a new issue, so why should that be required of me?

If you actually read what I said, you will have noticed that I said that the likes of Johnson are criticised fro what they say and do. All too often, Dianne Abbott is not. She is frequently criticised for her appearance and not just her colour. As other threads here have made clear, her gaffes frequently get blown up out of all proortion while much bigger gaffes by other politicians are either ignored completely or laughed off.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 28th February 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 28 2018, 03:20 PM) *
If you actually read what I said, you will have noticed that I said that the likes of Johnson are criticised fro what they say and do. All too often, Dianne Abbott is not. She is frequently criticised for her appearance and not just her colour.

But how often is that done by anyone other than far-right loonies on social media? Even the Mail wouldn't be as blatant as them!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 28th February 2018, 04:03 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 28 2018, 03:34 PM) *
But how often is that done by anyone other than far-right loonies on social media? Even the Mail wouldn't be as blatant as them!

You said, and I quote "But only one side suffers 'trial by social media' when they voice their opinions.". I merely pointed out that your assertion was not true. I can also add that there are plenty of people on social media slamming Corbyn's latest EU speech.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 28th February 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 28 2018, 04:03 PM) *
You said, and I quote "But only one side suffers 'trial by social media' when they voice their opinions.". I merely pointed out that your assertion was not true.

OK, you got me there - but I don't think it happens equally from both sides.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th February 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 28 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Because on most issues most people make statements in support of/or against just because it's wrong or right, not because it toes a party-line. Whether you like it or not your views frequently end up supporting the rights of people who advocate evil and not taking the side of those who are the victims of it. We know your views on free speech, you don't ever need to voice it again. Instead you can take that we hear your viewpoint, don't agree with it, and instead get on with condemning the opinions and actions of those people and take it as read that you will always have the proviso that "I support their right to say it".

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 1st March 2018, 07:05 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 28 2018, 09:14 PM) *
Because on most issues most people make statements in support of/or against just because it's wrong or right, not because it toes a party-line. Whether you like it or not your views frequently end up supporting the rights of people who advocate evil and not taking the side of those who are the victims of it. We know your views on free speech, you don't ever need to voice it again. Instead you can take that we hear your viewpoint, don't agree with it, and instead get on with condemning the opinions and actions of those people and take it as read that you will always have the proviso that "I support their right to say it".

I have repeatedly condemned the actions of those advocate evil, but my sincerity on this always seems to be questioned. blink.gif

What is the point of repeatedly demanding my assurances on this, if you're not going to believe me when I give them? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st March 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 1 2018, 07:05 AM) *
I have repeatedly condemned the actions of those advocate evil, but my sincerity on this always seems to be questioned. blink.gif

What is the point of repeatedly demanding my assurances on this, if you're not going to believe me when I give them? unsure.gif

I do believe you. Just say it. If anyone has problems with your sincerity it's trolling....

Now I DO have problems with politicians paid by the NRA (hundreds of thousands of pounds) professing "thoughts and prayers" every time there's a massacre because that is insincere politics when they have the power to do something about it. You aren't paid by the NRA so there's no reason to believe you would be insincere.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 1st March 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 1 2018, 12:39 PM) *
I do believe you. Just say it. If anyone has problems with your sincerity it's trolling....

Why would I say something I don't believe?

[quote]Now I DO have problems with politicians paid by the NRA (hundreds of thousands of pounds) professing "thoughts and prayers" every time there's a massacre because that is insincere politics when they have the power to do something about it. You aren't paid by the NRA so there's no reason to believe you would be insincere.
[/quote}

On a side issue, wouldn't it be more practical to start a specific thread about gun control, rather than have the issue spill out over several, as it has started to do?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st March 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 1 2018, 03:26 PM) *
Why would I say something I don't believe?

On a side issue, wouldn't it be more practical to start a specific thread about gun control, rather than have the issue spill out over several, as it has started to do?

You are just being contradictory for the sake of it now. You moan you dont condemn violence etc because no-one takes you seriously.I say I support your sincerity and suddenly you claim that will mean you saying something you dont believe.

That leads me to conclude your reading skills are very poor or else youve just been making excuses and you really don't care after all. I can't win. I take your side and you miss the point entirely.

Gun control is the number issue in the USA, so yes, it belongs in the Trump thread.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 2nd March 2018, 06:52 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 1 2018, 08:35 PM) *
You are just being contradictory for the sake of it now. You moan you dont condemn violence etc because no-one takes you seriously.I say I support your sincerity and suddenly you claim that will mean you saying something you dont believe.

That leads me to conclude your reading skills are very poor or else youve just been making excuses and you really don't care after all. I can't win. I take your side and you miss the point entirely.

Gun control is the number issue in the USA, so yes, it belongs in the Trump thread.

I never *intend* to be contradictory - if I appear to be, it is purely accidental.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd March 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 2 2018, 06:52 AM) *
I never *intend* to be contradictory - if I appear to be, it is purely accidental.

perhaps a self-awareness course would help?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd March 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 2 2018, 10:40 AM) *
perhaps a self-awareness course would help?

I am already self-aware.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:09 AM