BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> If the Spice Girls did an 'Anti Tour'..., ... which songs would you choose for the set list?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 25th April 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Kylie Minogue's 'Anti Tour' in 2012 had a set list including B-sides, demos and rare tracks, which she performed in an intimate setting. This is how she described it:

"I’ve never done anything like that before, something like an anti-tour where there are no dancers, there are no lights. It’s just music and doing songs that are much loved by super fans but will never, ever, ever be heard anywhere. [...]I think it would be really cool to be in a tiny, tiny venue, maybe do like a week’s run somewhere and just strip everything back—just do songs that uber-fans would cry for."

We've had big Spice Girls tours which focus on their hits. Imagine for a moment that they've announced an intimate theatre tour and that they'll be performing "deep cuts". Which songs would you choose for the set list?

Think of their B Sides, album tracks and demos we've heard. You can include a couple of singles, if you can think of a particular remix/version you feel would be well suited to the 'anti' tour concept. You can include solo songs as well!

You don't have to think of a specific set list order (you can if you want to!).

If you'd rather focus on one of them as a solo artist, i.e. you'd prefer to come up with a Melanie C 'anti' set list, you can do that instead!

Have fun with it, be creative. cool2.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

It's a bit hard to do a Spice Girls anti-setlist... It's basically the Forever album bar the singles laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th April 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon

There's quite a few songs that could be considered before the Forever album tracks!

Last Time Lover
Bumper to Bumper
Take Me Home
One of These Girls
Baby Come Round
Spice Invaders [omg, imagine the mess of recreating this live!]
Outer Space Girls
Ain't No Stopping Us Now
My Strongest Suit
Feed Your Love (previously unheard, but the full track exists and they could in theory treat us to a live debut x)
Strong Enough
Give You What You Want
A Day in Your Life
Pain Proof
W.O.M.A.N.
Voodoo

Songs previously performed, but haven't had an outing in literally over 20 years:

Walk of Life
Step to Me
Saturday Night Divas
Move Over
Denying

... and we know Geri loves 'We're Gonna Make It Happen' and is clearly gagging to perform it w00t.gif laugh.gif

Even them performing 'Headlines' could fit an 'anti' show, considering that they left it off the Spice World 2019 set list.

I know this sort of tour wouldn't happen in a million years, but this topic is a fantasy! So if you have a burning desire to see them perform Pain Proof, you can put it in your set list, no matter how unrealistic it seems.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 25th April 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Melanie C is the only person who could do an anti tour .

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 25th April 2020, 02:32 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Kylies anti Tour was fantastic but I dint think the spice girls have alot if goid material hanging around to do an anti tour justice. Kylie had around 12 or 13 studio albums under her belt when she done it plus many left over songs that didnt make albums plus many b sides. Tge spice I would like to see do a spice girls plus solo music tour. Maybe 3 solo songs each and then the big spice girls songs we all know and love.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th April 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(vibe @ Apr 25 2020, 02:48 PM) *

This thread is not based in realism!

Maybe I should have phrased the thread differently because I feel like it's being taken too literally; if you guys wanted some different, more obscure songs included in a set list which is specifically tailored to your tastes and would intrigue you, which would you want?

Personally I would love to see them take on Last Time Lover, as the only 'Spice' song they've never performed. I can imagine Take Me Home would be a great moment to show off their vocals. In fact there's a few B Sides that would be cool to see them perform! I'm imagining Outer Space Girls would be a pretty fun performance.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th April 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

ooooh I like this a LOT!!! An Anti-Tour is such a gorgeous idea but we know it wont ever happen cos Mel C doesnt like to have unreleased songs (and even b-sides) into the public realm lol and like, judging from Biff and Mel B's reactions to some of their unreleased stuff, it looks like it's a general mood around the group lol

Mostly not in order of set list, but basically these are the tracks I would want them to sing on such a tour:

1. Take Me Home
2. Bumber To Bumper
3. One of These Girls
4. Wannabe (Dave Way mix)
5. Last Time Lover
6. Naked
7. Denying
8. W.O.M.A.N.
9. A Day In Your Life
10. Pain Proof
11. Right Back At Ya (pop mix)
12. Wasting My Time
13. If You Wanna Have Some Fun
14. Oxygen
15. Get Down With Me
16. Tell Me Why
17. Weekend Love
18. Step To Me

And I think that would be enough eheh

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 26th April 2020, 12:50 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th April 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon

wub.gif Such a great selection. I'd honestly get my life seeing them perform those songs almost as much as I do seeing them perform their usual hits lol. It would be quite refreshing.

I do wish the girls were a bit more open to the idea of their demos/unreleased tracks being a part of their journey that fans would appreciate hearing. I know it's their prerogative to want them kept under-wraps forever, but it's definitely a shame. I don't think they care to put themselves in the headspace of their fans when it comes to this sort of thing. They just don't get it. I mean they don't even seem to understand the desire for a filmed concert lol, so clearly the concept of releasing demos is too much for them. :')

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 25th April 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

QUOTE(vibe @ Apr 25 2020, 02:48 PM) *

Technically both Geri and Emma could do one aswell with 3/4 studio albums and at least ten B sides each.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th April 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 25 2020, 05:17 PM) *
wub.gif Such a great selection. I'd honestly get my life seeing them perform those songs almost as much as I do seeing them perform their usual hits lol. It would be quite refreshing.

I do wish the girls were a bit more open to the idea of their demos/unreleased tracks being a part of their journey that fans would appreciate hearing. I know it's their prerogative to want them kept under-wraps forever, but it's definitely a shame. I don't think they care to put themselves in the headspace of their fans when it comes to this sort of thing. They just don't get it. I mean they don't even seem to understand the desire for a filmed concert lol, so clearly the concept of releasing demos is too much for them. :')

Me too. The fact that they seem so resistant to it is such a shame for a group of their calibre. They used to milk the fans in their hey day but they never really did that much with their own music. Like, no re-releases, no bonus tracks, no 'unreleased tracks' type of GH... it's very odd.

Mel C seems completely opposite to it. She just doenst get it. Geri is also known to have blocked a couple of releases like her own GH and vinyl of Schizophonic. And now that Victoria wants nothing to do with singing anymore, she probably wont jump at the chance either.

So many other artists have no issue with it and even engage in the process by backing the releases of old demos and colletions of rareties, etc. It's a big way of cementing credibility because it expands people's perceptions of your artistry. Wish they could be more proactive or even interested in it.

We really deserve better than what they give us as fans cry.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th April 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Are there any songs they were offered but turned down? Would be nice to hear them sing those songs to see what their renditions would be.

Would also be interesting to hear them cover modern songs. Like, imaging their take on a Little Mix song.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 25th April 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 25 2020, 04:54 PM) *
Are there any songs they were offered but turned down? Would be nice to hear them sing those songs to see what their renditions would be.

I don't think there's many, really...as the group tended to be part of the writing sessions for their material.

I can only think of two by name.

One is I Won't Say I'm in Love from Disney's Hercules. The writer of the song has confirmed he offered it to the girls to sing for the film's soundtrack (a pop version of the song in the film), but it never panned out.

Other than that, it was long claimed the Spice Girls collaborated with Blackstreet on the original version of Boyfriend/Girlfriend...a song that was released with Janet Jackson. Is the claim true? The rumor and song title were around before the Janet Jackson recording was released, so maybe? There were a lot of articles about the song way back then...though I'm not sure I've seen an actual quote from any of the girls or Blackstreet members about it. The song's kinda structured to where the four girls could have been involved...though the track's only 'okay' as far as I'm concerned. Wasn't a huge hit and doesn't seem to be especially remembered today.

Wyclef Jean also offered a song to them for Forever...though I'm not sure of the name or if it ever ended up released by another act.

There are more stories for the solo members and the songs they almost recorded. But that's a whole other thing...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

December song by George Michael was written for the girls. If Headlines had done well I think it could have been released for Christmas potentinally, I don't know if a version was ever recorded though??

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 26th April 2020, 01:56 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 25 2020, 10:35 PM) *
Me too. The fact that they seem so resistant to it is such a shame for a group of their calibre. They used to milk the fans in their hey day but they never really did that much with their own music. Like, no re-releases, no bonus tracks, no 'unreleased tracks' type of GH... it's very odd.

Mel C seems completely opposite to it. She just doenst get it. Geri is also known to have blocked a couple of releases like her own GH and vinyl of Schizophonic. And now that Victoria wants nothing to do with singing anymore, she probably wont jump at the chance either.

So many other artists have no issue with it and even engage in the process by backing the releases of old demos and colletions of rareties, etc. It's a big way of cementing credibility because it expands people's perceptions of your artistry. Wish they could be more proactive or even interested in it.

We really deserve better than what they give us as fans cry.gif

I never knew Geri blocked a solo greatest hits, did she why?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 26th April 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Apr 25 2020, 11:30 PM) *
I don't think there's many, really...as the group tended to be part of the writing sessions for their material.

I can only think of two by name.

One is I Won't Say I'm in Love from Disney's Hercules. The writer of the song has confirmed he offered it to the girls to sing for the film's soundtrack (a pop version of the song in the film), but it never panned out.

Other than that, it was long claimed the Spice Girls collaborated with Blackstreet on the original version of Boyfriend/Girlfriend...a song that was released with Janet Jackson. Is the claim true? The rumor and song title were around before the Janet Jackson recording was released, so maybe? There were a lot of articles about the song way back then...though I'm not sure I've seen an actual quote from any of the girls or Blackstreet members about it. The song's kinda structured to where the four girls could have been involved...though the track's only 'okay' as far as I'm concerned. Wasn't a huge hit and doesn't seem to be especially remembered today.

Wyclef Jean also offered a song to them for Forever...though I'm not sure of the name or if it ever ended up released by another act.

There are more stories for the solo members and the songs they almost recorded. But that's a whole other thing...

Piers I think you should start a new thread to have this dicussion angel.gif

Would be good to find out as many potential tracks we know of... Like when Victoria turned down Umbrella ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 26th April 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 26 2020, 01:56 AM) *
I never knew Geri blocked a solo greatest hits, did she why?

I remember it was allover the old Denden forums that the record lable wanted to do a GH and Geri blocked it but I cant remember why. She was still active recording music at the time, it's not like it was this year or anything...

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 26th April 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

I would do it like this -

1. If You Wanna Have Some Fun
2. Get Down With Me
3. We're Gonna Make It Happen
4. Leader Of The Gang
5. The Power Of 5

6. Take Me Home
7. Take Me Away
8. Oxygen
9. Sleigh Ride
10. Christmas Wrapping

11. Wasting My Time
12. One Of These Girls
13. Weekend Love
14. Do You Think About Me
15. Time Goes By

16. Spice Invaders
17. Outer Space Girls
18. Walk Of Life
19. Song For Her
20. Tell Me Why

21. WOMAN
22. Step To Me

+Quote this post
Piers
post 26th April 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 25 2020, 05:42 PM) *
December song by George Michael was written for the girls. If Headlines had done well I think it could have been released for Christmas potentinally, I don't know if a version was ever recorded though??

Oh yeah! I always forget about that one. No, I don't think it was recorded...and the explanation given was that George Michael and his collaborator didn't have the song submitted in time.

Unlike the Hercules song and Girlfriend/Boyfriend, I can't imagine the girls doing December Song at all. I think it made for a pretty, subtle song for George Michael...but I don't think it sounds remotely like the Spice Girls, and I definitely can't imagine them making religious references to Jesus.

It'd be interesting to know what was happening behind the scenes leading up to the Greatest Hits album...as there was clearly an attempt to give us more new music than what we eventually got. The girls had four songs recorded...George Michael was writing them a song...and then Ne-Yo was claiming he was asked to write some songs (but never had the time to do it). There another collaborator we just haven't heard about? It's all very...random.

Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. Mr. X's list about sums up what I'd want to hear. I'd most want to finally see performances of If You Wanna Have Some Fun and Tell Me Why...as they were the hits that should have been.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 27th April 2020, 06:56 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I find the blackstreet story interesting as they were hardly huge huge , they had a couple of hits. And that song either tho I bought it as a Janet collector is not great.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 27th April 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Apr 26 2020, 03:46 PM) *
Oh yeah! I always forget about that one. No, I don't think it was recorded...and the explanation given was that George Michael and his collaborator didn't have the song submitted in time.

Unlike the Hercules song and Girlfriend/Boyfriend, I can't imagine the girls doing December Song at all. I think it made for a pretty, subtle song for George Michael...but I don't think it sounds remotely like the Spice Girls, and I definitely can't imagine them making religious references to Jesus.

It'd be interesting to know what was happening behind the scenes leading up to the Greatest Hits album...as there was clearly an attempt to give us more new music than what we eventually got. The girls had four songs recorded...George Michael was writing them a song...and then Ne-Yo was claiming he was asked to write some songs (but never had the time to do it). There another collaborator we just haven't heard about? It's all very...random.

Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. Mr. X's list about sums up what I'd want to hear. I'd most want to finally see performances of If You Wanna Have Some Fun and Tell Me Why...as they were the hits that should have been.

I think that they were waiting to see how the reunion played out amongst themselves and the success of the GH... I think there was a chance of a Take That style come back as they didn't rule out new music at the time, Melanie C said "let's see how this goes first." However the reality of the situation made it very clear that it was too much for them and then the GH didn't initially do as amazing as they expected... the Take That one was a million seller, theirs only just went platinum originally.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:14 PM